Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal
Effect: One summoned fish
Duration: Instantanious
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
When the spell is cast, a random fish pulled from somewhere to your location, appearing in your outstretched hands. Roll a d20 and consult the table.
Material Component: a worm

[DM'S NOTE: Keep this list secret from your player, if you can]

1 Sardine/Kipper
2 Puffer (1d4-2 damage)
3 Blue Gill
4 Tigerfish (1d3-1 damage, poison Fort DC13 1d4 Dex primary and scondary)
5 Koi
6 Salmon
7 Carp
8 Bass
9 Octopus (immediately grappling caster)
10 Large Mouth Bass
11 Catfish
12 Marlin
13 Tuna
14 Flounder
15 Yellow-tail
16 Pirrahna (bites and attaches dealing 1d4-1 per round until removed with a graple check)
17 Herring
18 Anglerfish
19 Prawn
20 River Catfish (appears above caster, falling for 5d6 points of damage, Ref 16 negates)

Beelzebub1111
2010-01-03, 09:41 PM
Summon Bigger Fish
Conjuration (Calling/Summoning[see text])
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 50 ft.
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

Summons a bigger fish. Roll a d% and consult the following table:
Material Component: A mother of pearl fishing hook and a silk thread worth at least 100gp

[DM's Note: Keep the bottom two results secret until they are rolled]

01 – 50:
a Fish is called from elsewhere and falls, dealing 6d6 bludgeoning damage to creatures in a 5x10 area (reflex half). This version has a duration of instantaneous.

51 – 70:
a giant fish is summoned burying targets in a 10x15 area. Buried creatures take 1d6 nonlethal damage per round. This fish lasts for 2 rounds/level. Creature can dig their way out by dealing 30 points of damage with a light or natural slashing or piercing weapon. Individual creatures must dig their way out and they end up standing on top of the fish, which is treated as difficult terrain.

71 – 90:
Summons a live fish in a 5x10 area. Flops around dealing 1d8+5 points of bludgeoning damage to all creatures in the area. The fish takes 1d10 nonlethal damage per round and has 50 hit points. If the fish falls unconscious or dies, it it sent back to its previous location

91 – 00:
Calls a Giant Octopus w/ air-breathing. Roll again and consult the subtable to determine if it has planar origins. The called octopus is hostile to everyone, including the caster.
(01-02% Half-Fiend, 03-10% Fiendish, 11-89% normal, 90-98% Celestial, 99-00% Half-Celestial)

Sintanan
2010-01-03, 09:58 PM
Being from Alaska, I notice you're missing a halibut... those things can get frikk'n huge, weighing easily over 300 pounds.

Debihuman
2010-01-03, 10:20 PM
I guess you could have the spell summon different fish depending on the climate. Rather than simple bass, you could substitute groupers for a more tropical climate. Giant version of fish are fun to inflict on PCs too.

Debby

Zom B
2010-01-04, 02:16 PM
While I heartily applaud the Darths and Droids reference, I must point out that Summon Bigger Fish, aside from a run-on sentence or two, states that you roll a d% and check below to see what effect happens. Then you have another chart for fiendish, celestial, etc., but no instruction on what that chart is for. I mean, is that for determining what template to apply to the air-breathing octopus?

Also, in the 01-50 results, the last sentence says that "Fish persist indefinitely". On first reading, it looks like the rain of fish persists indefinitely. May want to say that "The fish created by this spell persist for X.", where X is a set time such as 1d4 hours, or indefinitely. I know it's for a silly purpose, but indefinite fish sounds kind of abusable for something. Of course, with the spell costing 100gp a pop, nonperishable fish might not be so bad.

Sintanan
2010-01-04, 02:36 PM
From what I could garner, I believe Beelzebub intended for the parenthesized d% under the octopus entry to be used as templates for the octopus only.

Besides (correct me if I'm wrong), technically greater fish would be both a calling and a summoning, because a summoned creature returned to where it was summoned from without harm where a calling 'summons' a creature that when it dies, it stays dead. And don't try to claim that those fish falling from the sky will live forever...

Milskidasith
2010-01-04, 02:53 PM
Why would anybody cast the first one? It's a spell that hurts you.

Beelzebub1111
2010-01-04, 10:11 PM
Why would anybody cast the first one? It's a spell that hurts you.
That's because the only the DM knows the ENTIRE chart. It's a bit of a Trap spell.

And Trust me, it's a lot neater on the .doc file, where it's in a chart.

Edited Bigger fish to specify which ones are calling and which are summoning.

Desmond Tiny
2010-01-04, 10:47 PM
These are interesting spells but summon bigger fish can feed many people and make some quick cash by selling it.

Knaight
2010-01-04, 11:00 PM
Summon bigger fish should need a fish as the material component, then you go one size up. It can't be the focus, given what happened during the discovery of the spell.

Beelzebub1111
2010-01-04, 11:30 PM
These are interesting spells but summon bigger fish can feed many people and make some quick cash by selling it.
Hence the 100gp casting cost, and the danger involved.

DonEsteban
2010-01-05, 05:13 AM
Nice fluffy spells. You should base a Prestige Class (Fish Mage) on them.

Mechanical things: I don't particularly like the Calling/Summoning mixture of the bigger fish. Is that necessary? There isn't usually such a thing as a 5x10 or 10x15 space in 3.5e. You might want to say "Duration: Instantaneous" instead of indefinitely. You should add Strength check/Escape Artist check DCs to the second fish. Do you intend to summon the fish in the space of other creatures? Because you normally can't.

These are interesting spells but summon bigger fish can feed many people and make some quick cash by selling it. You can only sell so many big fish on any given day. Trust me. :smallsmile:

Xuincherguixe
2010-01-05, 07:53 AM
There's a bit of a problem with this.

Shouldn't this be a force power?

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-01-05, 02:43 PM
There's a bit of a problem with this.

Shouldn't this be a force power?
Haha, yes, yes it should.

Summon Bigger Fish! (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0208.html)

Lapak
2010-01-05, 05:00 PM
Haha, yes, yes it should.

Summon Bigger Fish! (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0208.html)
Easily solved. Give it the [Force] descriptor. Heck, that way you can Summon Bigger Fish on incorporeal foes, too!