PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Lemming I

Tanaric
2010-01-03, 11:07 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||L|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33339)

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 02:19 AM
Lemming starts the day by binding Malphas.

Binding Check(DC 15 for a good pact):

[roll0]

He then shapes his soulmeld(kruthik claws) for a +4 competence to hide/move silently.

#EDIT: Thanks to the spectacular failure of the binding check, Malphas now influences Lemming. This means Lemming falls in love easily and has to use poison(if available) against his enemies.

Malphas benefits:

Sudden Strike +1d6
Poison use
Invisibility as (Su) ability, activated as full-round action, lasts for 1 round, 5 rounds recharge time.
Birds' Eye viewing: At will, Lemming can summon a dove or raven and completely control its actions. Lemming sees and hears what the bird sees and hears. (I think the bird cannot attack, but I'm afb right now and not sure about that)

Actions

Lemming, after binding and shaping, takes 20 to search the room for traps.

(Search Result: 28; and yes, he has trapfinding)

Should he find none, he will open the door, light a sunrod, summon a raven, give the sunrod to the raven and send the raven to scout the dungeon.

The raven will take 20 on Spot and Listen on every 5' square, netting results of 27 for spot and 25 for listen. He can(visually) detect traps, because Malphas' ability says so.

The raven will fly around as long as possible(6 hours duration for the sunrod's light), until either the sunrod stops glowing, or the raven is killed by a trap or encounter, or the entire dungeon accessible to the raven has been explored.

Lemming will use a sheet of paper, his inkpen and the vial of ink he has to attempt to draw a map of the dungeon floor.

((Please provide a map that shows everything the bird can explore within the parameters given above.))

#2nd EDIT: Should this exploration trigger the "random encounter of DOOM without loot" thing because this takes too much time, please tell me how much time is required to pass for a new random encounter to show up, but continue with the actions anyway.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 02:46 AM
Tanaric:
I don't think there are traps that could effect the bird. Am I correct?

Coming soon.

Tanaric
2010-01-04, 02:47 AM
The hallways are 20 feet tall. How high is the raven flying?

Edit: I don't know the stats of a Raven, but I assume it has Average manueverability. In that case, it has to walk along the ground, as it cannot maintain forward momentum while taking 20.

Sliver:Anything with a Search DC higher than 20 will not be found, since birds don't have Trapfinding.

Also, it's very likely that the sunrod will run out at 2 minutes/square.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:00 AM
Stats of the raven:

Raven (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/raven.htm).

Malphas states that I can use trapfinding through the bird, if I have it(included in an edit in my post above, but noted here again to be sure). Any traps that cannot be detected via a Spot check of 27 will remain hidden to the bird, though, as its search modifier sucks(-4).

Tanaric
2010-01-04, 03:03 AM
Random encounters of DOOM have a chance of going off for every 1 hour of inactivity.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 03:04 AM
So the raven is walking, it can only spot traps but not search..

So what, I need to count now all the squares to know when the sunrod is expired?

Tanaric
The bird will probably spot the tripwires and cards, but not the pits, and the other traps. Will it trigger the pits with it's massive weight? What random encounter tables are you using?

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:11 AM
Well, 2 minutes per square, 6 hours equal 360 minutes, 360/2= 180 squares can be explored.

Lemming has infinite reserve ravens, and 4 more sunrods, i think.

Tanaric
2010-01-04, 03:14 AM
I hope you brought snacks. You do need to eat, after all.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 03:18 AM
Alright lets see...

I will give you the results of the first raven at the end of the 6 hours, if you don't mind...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:20 AM
Lemming can summon, kill and eat ravens, can't he?

At least I hope he can. Because I totally didn't think of eating and drinking, and hoped that he managed to reach the magic wal-mart at the end of the day, and could buy his food/drink there.

Tanaric
2010-01-04, 03:21 AM
Is it a calling effect? If not, no. :smallsmile:

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:23 AM
Dangit. Here's hoping that Lemming manages to clear the floor in 12-18 hours!

Sliver
2010-01-04, 03:25 AM
You can only have one of those, but it says you summon it, but it remains until dismissed... Anyway..

At the end of these six hours, from a hall south 20ft from your position, you see a Lemure!

Initiative: [roll0]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:36 AM
Um, does *you* refer to the bird or to Lemming who's comfortably camping in the starting room?

And he was busy drawing a map during those 6 hours. Can I see that map too?

If the Lemure is facing the raven, the sun rod is out, the raven is blind and gets eaten.

If the Lemure is facing Lemming...

Initiative:
[roll0]

Lemming loads his crossbow and attacks, adding Sudden strike damage because the Lemure is flat-footed...

Sliver
2010-01-04, 03:38 AM
It faces you. You won initiative.

I will give you a map when I make it.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:38 AM
Attack:

[roll0]

Damage:
Crossbow(piercing):
[roll1]

Sudden strike(precision):
[roll2]

Lemming misses horribly, and a hit would've failed to penetrate the DR anyway.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 03:41 AM
Your attack fails to pierce it's natural armor.

It charges.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:44 AM
...and misses Lemming. Lemming uses a Full-round action to activate Malphas' Invisibility which doesn't provoke an AoO because it's a (Su) ability, then 5'-steps away. He also makes a Hide check after the 5'-step.

Hide:
[roll0] (+ whatever bonuses from Invisibility apply)

Sliver
2010-01-04, 03:52 AM
I guess.. It does nothing... You are only invisible for a round I believe..

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 03:57 AM
Yep. Use the round of invisibility to reload and attack(breaking invisibility):

Attack:
[roll0] (+2 to hit from invis)

Damage
(Crossbow + Sudden strike):
[roll1]

At the end of turn, 5'-step away so that there is a 10ft distance between Lemure and Lemming.

4 rounds left on the recharge clock for Invisibility.

Lemming misses horribly, again.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:13 AM
It charges you again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 04:22 AM
And just barely misses Lemming's AC of 16.

Lemming decides that discretion is the better part of valor, and withdraws(double-move, starting square is considered not threatened for AoOs). If possible, he moves out of the door and around the corner, gaining cover to hide.

Lemming's Nightvision range is 70ft, and his movement speed is 40ft per move action, so he can retreat up to 80ft.

Hide check:

[roll0]

3 rounds left on the recharge clock for invisibility.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:26 AM
The hall goes south and east. South: for 20ft before splitting east, and another 10ft before T-ing east and west. East: 10ft before splitting north and south. It goes beyond sight and there is a split further ahead which the raven passed a few hours ago from a different direction.

Where do you go when you are out of the room?

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 04:32 AM
ERp. This is *not* how this was planned. I planned to sit safely in the starting room, waiting for a detailed map of the surroundings, THEN carefully advance, looking for traps and stuff. Now I'm being chased by the monster, and while I *technically* have a map, I don't actually have it.

Anyway, Lemming goes east and then 5ft south, so that he maintains cover if the Lemming follows and picks the wrong direction.

Since this is underground, his favored environment applies and he gets +2 to Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Knowledge(dungeoneering) and Survival checks.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:34 AM
As soon as you step south, the floor below you fails. Reflex save.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:39 AM
Here is a map of what you discovered so far:

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/msliver/partmap1-1.jpg

Black circle is a pit you just discovered.
Red circle with white inside is a bullseye painted on the floor.
Blue circle is a blue card hanging from the wall.
Red circle is a red card hanging from the wall.
Black line in the square north of the red circle is a tripwire.
small s at the end of the hall south east of the blue circle is "there is something strange with this wall"

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 04:44 AM
AW, dangit.

Reflex save:

[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:46 AM
You manage to avoid falling into the pit. Decide which side.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 04:54 AM
South of the pit, please.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:59 AM
The Lemure runs after you only to fall into the pit. It starts clawing it's way up, slowly.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 05:13 AM
I think climbing makes you lose the dex bonus to AC, therefore making the lemure vulnerable to Sudden strike again.

So...Lemming reloads and shoots, then 5'-steps south.

Attack:

[roll0]

Damage:
Crossbow
[roll1]

Sudden strike(ignore if it doesn't apply)
[roll2]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 05:14 AM
Critical confirmation:

[roll0]

Potential extra damage:
[roll1]

Curses! Natural 1 on the confirmation...

Sliver
2010-01-04, 05:17 AM
You feel your attacks are less effective, but the strike drops the Lemure. It tries to climb again, but fails to make any progress.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 05:22 AM
Err, so no sudden strike?

doesn't matter. 5'-step forward, reload and shoot again!

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

If Sudden strike somehow applies:
[roll2]

1 round left on the recharge clock of invisibility.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 05:23 AM
Yes sudden strike. It was DR. You miss. It fails to make progress...

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 05:26 AM
Okay, invisibility is recharged!

Since it isn't necessary for sudden strike, reload and shoot again!

(lemme count the bolts used so far...1 miss, then another miss, then hit for some damage, then miss...)

So, 5 bolts used so far(counting this round's shot). 15 bolts left.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Of course I have to roll near-max damage when missing. Duh.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 05:31 AM

I was thinking to myself "Wow, he fails so much, it's like I'm rolling a d12" and I WAS!

It goes up 5ft.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 05:32 AM
How deep is the pit?

Reload and shoot again, regardless. 6 bolts used so far, 14 left... and a 5'-step back after the shooting.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Yay, 4 damage!

Sliver
2010-01-04, 05:39 AM
20ft deep. Your hit causes him to drop. He advances 10ft.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 06:36 AM
Okay, finally back to posting...

5'-step forward, reload, shoot the sucker.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Gah!

Here's hoping that he doesn't manage to climb out completely.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 06:39 AM
It goes up another 5ft. Another success and he is out.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 06:51 AM
Reload, attack, 5'-step back. 8 bolts used so far...

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage:

[roll1]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 06:52 AM
Critical confirmation:
[roll0]

Potential extra damage:
[roll1]

EVERY SINGLE TIME I THREAT...I fail to confirm.

GRR...

Sliver
2010-01-04, 06:54 AM
Your attack doesn't seem to have any effect.

He gets out!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 08:19 AM
Um, so he climbs out, crosses 5', and attacks?

Alright...Lemming takes 2 damage.

Full-round action activate invisibility, 5'-step south.

Assuming the lemure does nothing for his following turn, reload and attack again(breaking invisibility):

9 bolts used so far.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

4 rounds remaining on the recharge clock(at the turn when Lemming attacks and breaks invisibility)

Sliver
2010-01-04, 08:25 AM
You are at the edge of the hallway. It goes west 10ft before Ting north and south. It steps forward to attack you:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 09:15 AM
Okay, Lemming has taken 3 damage so far from that pesky Lemure.

Lemming goes 10ft west, then 20ft north, then 10ft east in one move action(provoking an AoO, or two if the lemure somehow has combat reflexes). He then loads his crossbow and proceeds to mock the lemure that is at the other side of the pit.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 09:19 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

It goes after you, in the same way you went (because while the game is in turns, it takes you some time, and it has a wisdom score..)

It reaches you with a double move, but not enough to attack.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 09:29 AM
The AoO misses, and Lemming uses total defense.

(2 rounds remaining on the recharge clock).

The following turn, Lemming will use total defense again(1 round remaining on the recharge clock), and the turn after that(assuming Lemming is still alive), he will activate invisibility, then shoot the Lemure on the turn after THAT. (4rounds remaining on the recharge clock).

Assuming the Lemure performs full attacks, this gives you 2 full attacks or 4 total claw swipes at +2 vs an AC of 20. Feel free to roll em all in one go;

Then Lemming shoots, while invisible, at the Lemure.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

10 bolts used, 10 left.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 09:33 AM
[roll[1d4

[roll[1d4

[roll[1d4

[roll[1d4

Assuming you survive all this, you defeat this encounter..

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 09:57 AM
Only one hits Lemming's AC of 20, and that's a critical threat.
Allow me to save you some time..

Crit confirm, lemure:

[roll0]

Damage(normal)
[roll1]

Damage(extra from crit, if confirm >= 20)
[roll2]

Assuming you accept the above rolls, Lemming has taken a total of 6 damage during this encounter, putting him at 4/10 HP.

I believe the random encounters of DOOM yield normal xp, yes?

Sliver
2010-01-04, 10:10 AM
No. Random encounters give no xp and no loot. Never.

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 10:15 AM
WHAT???

I thought they were only lootless...

Dangit! And there are five more of these annoying random encounters wandering about?

Lemming is doomed.

May his successors fare better - for now, he shall stake his life to explore as much as possible.

Lemming moves to the door southeast of the pit, searching it for traps(take 20), then attempting to open it. He also summons a raven(replacing the first), lights a second sunrod, gives the sunrod to the second raven and lets the raven explore the rest of the dungeon(e.g. fly to where the first raven's exploration ended, then continue the *take 20 on spot/listen* exploration walk) WHILE LEMMING is probably busy fighting random encounters and non-random encounters.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 10:24 AM
There is no specific amount of random encounters. Each hour of doing nothing leads to an increased chance of having a random encounter.

Also, every room opening counts as 1 minute. I am not going to check how long it takes you and check how much the raven has passed. It means that every 2 rooms you open the raven is going forward 1 square. You accept that?

Aldgar
2010-01-04, 10:25 AM
No problem with that.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 10:29 AM
Alright.

Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.
Initiative:[roll0]

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 01:11 AM
Initiative:
[roll0]

So Lemming won init. This means sudden strike goodness!

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 01:14 AM
Reload crossbow, shoot the human, then 5'-step south, gaining cover. Make a Hide check as part of the 5'-step movement, if possible.

Attack vs flatfooted AC:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

11 bolts used, 9 left.

Hide check:
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 02:14 AM
The man walks out into the hall and casts a spell right in front of you. A rainbow appears and attacks you! Will save.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 02:23 AM
Will save: [roll0]

#EDIT: I assume that succeeds. So, full-round action, activate invisibility, 5'step west. Assuming he doesn't do anything, reload and attack, if he casts another colorspray that at me, have another willsave...

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 02:25 AM
Willsave in case the guy colorsprays me while invisible(ignore otherwise):

[roll0]

Attack on my turn(breaking invisibility):
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 02:27 AM
Yeah, you failed the second will save...

You are unconscious, blinded, and stunned for [roll0] rounds, then blinded and stunned for [roll1] rounds, and then stunned for 1 round.

Sliver
2010-01-05, 02:28 AM
CDG:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Survive?

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 02:36 AM
Nope. The HP damage from the second CDG puts me in the negatives, and the third one kills me. I won't bother with fort saves.

Lemming the second(same character sheet) restarts in the room, opens the door, sends a raven to scout the dungeon. This time, the raven will *not* take 20 on spot/listen, and merely fly through the dungeon accessible to him. This should give Lemming a map that doesn't show tripwires/traps/strange walls, but include those cards. Furthermore, is it allright if Lemming the second metagames a bit and has some strange premonition of danger from the location of the pit trap or does he have to fall into it again?

After getting a rough overview of the entire dungeon accessible to the raven, Lemming will leave the room(this exploration should require less than 1 hour, I think).

Map please(including tripwire/funny wall/pit trap if metagaming is allowed), as far as the raven can explore before he is eaten/killed/done exploring.

Remember, no taking 20, so the time should be drastically reduced. The raven should fly at an elevation of about 15ft(5ft below the ceiling).

Sliver
2010-01-05, 02:57 AM
There is no distinction between player and character knowledge here.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8983/mapqdp.jpg

You will have to look at the previous map to see where the other kinds of traps that you already detected are.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 03:38 AM
Lemming the second will leave the room, extend his collapsible pole to 12ft, put it in the ground so that it crosses the ground where the pit trap is located, then ties the silk rope around the pole and around his waist, leaving about 5ft rope between his waist and the pole. Then, he steps on the pit trap, falls 5ft but is caught by the rope/pole combination before he hits the ground, pulls himself up, then crosses the pit with the help of the pole.

Then, he goes to the door of Mr. Colorspray, retrieving his pole/rope, unties the rope, makes the pole small again(2ft, minimum length); loads his crossbow, opens the door and rolls for initiative.

[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 03:42 AM
You don't make the pole small.. It is 6 pieces 2ft long each that you connect and disconnect..

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 03:44 AM
Well, Lemming disconnects the pieces then. I thought it was more of a telescopic pole.

Anyhow, Lemming lost init...Will save vs colorspray, I guess?

In case the above is true:
[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 03:48 AM
You save, your turn.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 03:57 AM
Go invisible, save against the inevitable second colorspray.

Will save the 2nd:
[roll0]

Lemming dies, again from CDG's.

Repeat the actions from before...leading up to opening the door and rolling for init

Sliver
2010-01-05, 03:59 AM
:smallamused:

Unconscious, blinded, and stunned for [roll0] rounds, then blinded and stunned for [roll1] rounds, and then stunned for 1 round.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 03:59 AM
Init from Lemming III. vs Colorspray guy:

[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 04:13 AM
[roll0] Initiative. You won the tie.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:17 AM
Shoot the already loaded crossbow for sudden strike damage, then use a move action to retreat to the door of the starting room(12, 35' distance moved)

Attack!
[roll0] vs flatfooted AC

Damage:
[roll1]

Likely misses, 1 bolt used, 19 left.

Sliver
2010-01-05, 04:18 AM
Yes. It missed. Nothing happens. What do you do?

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:21 AM
Load crossbow, sneak carefully (at half speed) 20ft south.

Hide:
[roll0]

Move silently:
[roll1]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 04:24 AM
You go to the split south of the first room? Then you see the door is closed..

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:27 AM
Okay, sneak to the door, total defense. Then, assuming nothing happens, open the door on the next turn with a move action, shoot the guy with a standard action.

Move silently:
[roll0]

Assuming the guy readied a colorspray and that goes off before Lemming's attack:

Will save:
[roll1]

Assuming initiative is needed again(?):
Init: [roll2]

Finally, attack and damage:

Attack:
[roll3]

Damage:
Crossbow:
[roll4]
Sudden Strike(hopefully applies):
[roll5]

Major failures all around again. Assuming there was no readied colorspray that KO'd Lemming, I guess I have to save again against the colorspray from the guy's turn...

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:30 AM
Will save(if necessary and Lemming the 3rd is still conscious):
[roll0]

If he fails, CDG's follow and he dies. Lemming the 4th arrives, opens door with a loaded crossbow and rolls for init. If not, Lemming the 3rd moves away again on his turn and loads his crossbow at the door of the starting room, then proceeds his sneaky approach again...

Sliver
2010-01-05, 04:33 AM

No matter the result, you miss. Will save.

Down.

Same initiative as in this post. Roll.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:35 AM
Okay, for willsaves of Lemming the 3rd, see above. He fails and dies.

Lemming the 4th arrives and rolls for init:

[roll0]

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:38 AM
I'm sensing a pattern here in the Colorspray+CDG deaths.

Will save for Lemming the 4th:

[roll0]

Assuming he lives, he retreats back, loads his crossbow, sneaks to the closed door again, goes invisible, then opens the door and shoots at that darned caster.

If he fails and dies, Lemming the 5th opens the door while invisible and shoots if he wins init.

Lemming the 5th's init(if necessary):

Attack of Lemming the 4th or 5th(depending on the former's survival):

Attack:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

So Lemming the 5th cannot even hit with a +8 bonus to hit... He stands there in disgust at his failure until he dies, and Lemming the 6th arrives, goes invisible, opens door, rolls for init, and attacks...

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:41 AM
Lemming the 6th's init, attack and damage(hopefully one-shotting that accursed caster guy that murdered his precedessors)

Initiative:
[roll0]

Attack:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

If the attack misses and/or fails to kill Mr. Colorspray:

Will save:
[roll3]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 04:42 AM
The color spray is triggered by opening the door. So roll Will save before the 4th's attack counts.

Bah! so many posts..

The attack hits but doesn't kill. You fail the save.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 04:46 AM
Err...To save many more similar pointless posts, can we just assume Lemming keeps trying until his first attack kills?

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 05:19 AM
No to the question above?

So, err, Lemming the 7th' attempt...

Init:
[roll0]

Attack:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-01-05, 05:41 AM
I am not sure. I just don't want to start another battle and continue when I really need to go soon.

Aldgar
2010-01-05, 09:33 AM
Hmm... I think I'll scrap Lemming's current character sheet, and submit a new one in the OOC thread soon. Consider this thread completed.

Sliver
2010-01-05, 09:35 AM
Good luck ^^

If you prefer my times than Tanaric's just say so when you post the sheet..