PDA

View Full Version : Fyron's son?

Hatman
2010-01-03, 11:43 PM
hey i was reading and I noticed in this page
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html
that roy says he killed Fyron's son too. I read start of darkness and the son wasnt in it. does anyone have any info in this?

also anyone notice a right eye wanabe in this page?

Conuly
2010-01-04, 12:11 AM
Huh. Good question. (Just a few comics down we see how RC scurried away at the last moment. Oh, how much less trouble they all would have had if they'd known enough to grab him while he was looking around all :smalleek: and all.)

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-04, 12:28 AM
hey i was reading and I noticed in this page
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html
that roy says he killed Fyron's son too. I read start of darkness and the son wasnt in it. does anyone have any info in this?

also anyone notice a right eye wanabe in this page?

Roy mentions a son here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html) as well... But there is no son in SoD that I noticed, nor in Origins...

For Rich to make the same typo twice doesn't seem likely, but Fryon's son has never made an appearance that I'm aware of...

Oh, the answer to any question that starts with: Did anyone notice blah, blah, blah... The answer is ALWAYS: YES! :smallwink:

Seriously, any little detail is noticed and debated endlessly on these boards.
Endlessly.

Ashram
2010-01-04, 12:33 AM
Wow, this might actually be Rich's first continuity error. Scary stuff. o.o

jlvm4
2010-01-04, 12:38 AM
Roy mentions a son here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html) as well... But there is no son in SoD that I noticed, nor in Origins...

For Rich to make the same typo twice doesn't seem likely, but Fryon's son has never made an appearance that I'm aware of...

Having never read SoD, I'm going to guess that maybe the son died "off screen." Given the difficulty Xykon has in remembering the people he killed, perhaps he killed Fyron's son, didn't even realize who it was, and then at a later (or earlier point) kills Fyron. Eugene does know who the son is, so recognizes the corpse at some other time and it joins the story that he tells his son as canon. The key would be that from Xykon's perspective, and therefore our visualizing it, the son wouldn't exist in the frame as a detail to be seen and/or remembered.

I do agree, for a guy who can make a passing reference 100+ strips before it becomes relevant Rich wouldn't include the son without reason twice.

FujinAkari
2010-01-04, 12:46 AM
Having never read SoD, I'm going to guess that maybe the son died "off screen." Given the difficulty Xykon has in remembering the people he killed, perhaps he killed Fyron's son, didn't even realize who it was

Being how calmly Fyron acted about the robbery, this seems unlikely.

The plausible scenarioes that have been advanced are: "Eugene lied to Roy about Fyron's son existing in an attempt to make the blood oath seem more necessary"

or

"Fyron's son attempted to avenge Fyron at a later time similar to what Eugene was doing and was summarily destroyed, Eugene simply didn't relay the timing of events to Roy very well."

Pyron
2010-01-04, 12:51 AM
I have a theory (SoD spoilers):

Fryon's son is actually the Wizzy award that Xykon's used to beat the old man with. Polymorph Any Object should do the trick...
:smallsmile: I never said it was a plausible theory.

Hatman
2010-01-04, 12:53 AM
"Fyron's son attempted to avenge Fyron"

i dont think this is the case, due to his death being "in cold blood"
he probably just happened on fyron's son

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 01:05 AM
He could have killed Fyron's son before Eugene entered the room - but I doubt Fyron would have been quite as calm during the battle (or as willing to stand down) had he known that.

This is a pickle. I'm leaning on the side of Rich relying on his notes rather than what actually made it into SoD.

Pyron
2010-01-04, 01:17 AM
i dont think this is the case, due to his death being "in cold blood"
he probably just happened on fyron's son

Thinking about it, that's the most likely theory. Xykon simply went after Fryon's son for pure giggles after murdering Fryon himself. It fits his personality.

More SoD Spoiler
Remember, Eugene thought it was real possibility that Xykon might go after Sarah and Roy if he took up Right Eye's offer.

DBJack
2010-01-04, 01:42 AM
Well,
SOD Eugene thought of himself as Fyron's adopted son. Maybe seeing his friend and adopted father die killed a part of him?

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-04, 04:54 AM
Well,
SOD Eugene thought of himself as Fyron's adopted son. Maybe seeing his friend and adopted father die killed a part of him?

Let's not go all Obi-Wan now! :smalltongue:

I know that was a major plot point of the series, but it doesn't make it a GOOD plot point.

Hurkyl
2010-01-04, 05:26 AM
Xykon did say he killed five people named Fyron there -- it's not a stretch to believe Fyron's son was another Fyron.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-04, 06:41 AM
I've never noticed that before.

Conuly
2010-01-04, 12:17 PM
Xykon did say he killed five people named Fyron there -- it's not a stretch to believe Fyron's son was another Fyron.

But ROY is the one who brings up Fyron's son. Twice. And he was surprised to find out that Xykon killed "more than one guy named Fyron in Cliffport", much less five of them!

NerfTW
2010-01-04, 02:17 PM

And as was shown in the scene, since death in the OOTS-verse is rather meaningless, especially given Eugene's repeated deaths and resurrections, he was calm because he knew he could just raise him afterwards.

You'll notice Eugene doesn't scream "NOOOOOOOOOO" until Fryon is zombified, not when he dies. He and Fyron consider death so meaningless that they aren't fazed by it until a situation rises that will require actual effort. (A true res spell, if they can't find the zombie itself)

It's entirely possible he didn't care because he assumed his son was just dead and not turned into a zombie. And before anyone brings it up, Eugene was shown to have died multiple times as of Origin, which came out prior to the mention of the son in the online comic. So from the begining it was established that mages don't really fear death.

Faramir
2010-01-04, 02:23 PM
But ROY is the one who brings up Fyron's son. Twice. And he was surprised to find out that Xykon killed "more than one guy named Fyron in Cliffport", much less five of them!

But we don't know that Roy knew Fyron's son's name. Eugene could just have told him offpanel that Xykon killed Fyron's son on the way in or out.

Bogardan_Mage
2010-01-05, 09:06 PM
Death is cheap. Fyron was level-headed and experienced enough to recognise that a) he could get his son raised with little effort and b) getting overemotional at the death of a loved one doesn't win magical duels. Also the only time the death could have occurred "off screen" would be before Eugene shows up.

Gift Jeraff
2010-01-05, 09:20 PM
And he was surprised to find out that Xykon killed "more than one guy named Fyron in Cliffport", much less five of them!
Roy's the monster in the darkness now? :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-05, 11:02 PM
Death is cheap. Fyron was level-headed and experienced enough to recognise that a) he could get his son raised with little effort and b) getting overemotional at the death of a loved one doesn't win magical duels. Also the only time the death could have occurred "off screen" would be before Eugene shows up.
Furthermore, Fyron found Xykon while he was stealing the crown. If Xykon did kill Fyron’s son before he killed Fyron himself, it’s most likely Fyron wasn’t aware of it. It’s not like Fyron hunted Xykon down.

HealthKit
2010-01-06, 01:54 AM
Wow, this might actually be Rich's first continuity error. Scary stuff. o.o

What makes it a continuity error?

If an unexplored part of a story makes a continuity error, then OotS is riddled with them.

Optimystik
2010-01-06, 03:30 PM
What makes it a continuity error?

The fact that Roy was never told about Fyron's son (see Origin, SoD), nor mentions him at any other time but when facing Xykon, but still knows to ask the lich about him (twice.)

If an unexplored part of a story makes a continuity error, then OotS is riddled with them.

The difference between a dangling plot thread and a continuity error - we should have some justification for a dangling plot thread to be unexplored. The Scribble's unknown animosity is easy - we don't know where any of them are. Ditto for Haley's father. But we have every reason to know about Fyron's son, because we witnessed Roy being told of Fyron's encounter with Xykon.