PDA

View Full Version : Master of Masks help

A Ladder
2010-01-04, 01:35 AM
So I have a couple questions for the Master of Masks prestige class (complete scoundrel):

1) are they considered spellcasters? Thier masks allow them to cast spell like abilities, and they add an additional level to a previous spellcasting class.
Here's something else that's interesting:

Spellcasting: At 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 9th level, you gain
new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells
known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a
spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the
prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other
benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you
had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a
master of masks, you must decide to which class to add
each level for the purpose of determining spells per day,
caster level, and spells known.

so they gain caster levels.

but this prestige class doesn't need a spellcasting baseclass to attain.

Entry Requirements
Skill: Bluff 8 ranks, Disguise 8 ranks, Perform (act) 8 ranks.
Languages: Any four.
Special: Must have successfully impersonated an individual,
fooling even that person’s friends and associates.
So i'm rather confused.

2) if they are "spellcasters" can i use the feat Practiced Spellcasting (complete arcane) to bump thier "caster level" and then gain the benefits from a higher level mask?
sample mask:

Demon: This obsidian mask bears the visage of a darkly
handsome fiend. Small, black horns adorn the demon’s
forehead, and its black ears rise to points. Its smiling mouth
shows rows of sharp teeth.
Once per day, you can use summon monster III as a
spell-like ability, only to summon creatures of chaotic evil
alignment. As you advance in the master of masks class,
you can summon increasingly powerful creatures: At 4th
level, you can instead use summon monster IV; at 7th level,
summon monster V; and at 10th level, summon monster VI.
so if i was a first level Master of Masks and picked up the feat would i be considered a 5th level one? and effectively be able to use the summon monster IV version?

PS... would i be able to craft more masks if this raised their caster level? It seems that the amount of masks they can have is related to level in the class:

Persona Masks (Su): You gain the ability to craft potent
magical masks, each of which allows you to take on a different
persona and gain some aspect of that creature or
archetypal character. At 1st level, you learn to create and
use two masks selected from those described below. At 2nd
level, and at every odd-numbered level thereafter, you can
create and use one more mask from the list.

3) any other base classes out there with bluff, disguise, and perform for class skills that are not the rogue and bard?

Boci
2010-01-04, 01:39 AM
2) if they are "spellcasters" can i use the feat Practiced Spellcasting (complete arcane) to bump thier "caster level" and then gain the benefits from a higher level mask?
sample mask:

so if i was a first level Master of Masks and picked up the feat would i be considered a 5th level one? and effectively be able to use the summon monster IV version?

Not unless it says it it based off caster levels. The one you quoted said character level.

3) any other base classes out there with bluff, disguise, and perform for class skills that are not the rogue and bard?

PHII belgiler? (Can't spell)

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-04, 01:41 AM
3) any other base classes out there with bluff, disguise, and perform for class skills that are not the rogue and bard?Quite a few. Human Paragon, Factotum, IIRC dread Necromancer, and I'm sure there's others that I'm missing.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 01:44 AM
Quite a few. Human Paragon, Factotum, IIRC dread Necromancer, and I'm sure there's others that I'm missing.

Dread Necro doesn't get Perform from what I can see.

A Ladder
2010-01-04, 01:47 AM
Not unless it says it it based off caster levels. The one you quoted said character level.

PHII belgiler? (Can't spell)
thanks! can't believed i missed that it was based on character levels

Quite a few. Human Paragon, Factotum, IIRC dread Necromancer, and I'm sure there's others that I'm missing.

thanks! could you list the books those are in as well? (i left mine at home so i can't search for them right now....)

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-04, 01:47 AM
Dread Necro doesn't get Perform from what I can see.That's idiotic. Perform ought to be universal. It's playing a guitar. Anyone should have the potential, regardless of class. Of course, you could say the same thing about seeing things, or making stuff, or making a dog obey you, so...yeah.

Factotum is Dungeonscape, Human Paragon is Unearthed Arcana, DN is Heroes of Horror.

A Ladder
2010-01-04, 01:53 AM
That's idiotic. Perform ought to be universal. It's playing a guitar. Anyone should have the potential, regardless of class. Of course, you could say the same thing about seeing things, or making stuff, or making a dog obey you, so...yeah.

Factotum is Dungeonscape, Human Paragon is Unearthed Arcana, DN is Heroes of Horror.

sweet. thanks a bunch.

yeah, but perform is doing it well... and believe me, not anyone can just pick up a guitar and learn (myself as an example).

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 02:19 AM
That's idiotic. Perform ought to be universal. It's playing a guitar. Anyone should have the potential, regardless of class. Of course, you could say the same thing about seeing things, or making stuff, or making a dog obey you, so...yeah.

"My mommy always used to say that cross-class learning was the key to a rich and fulfilling life." :smallwink: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html)

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-04, 02:24 AM
Practiced Spellcaster will not do that for you at all. When a prestige class increases your caster level and spells known for a previously existing spellcasting class, it just increases your spellcasting. It has nothing to do with other class features. And since you don't need spellcasting to get into Master of Masks, those +1 spellcaster levels will do nothing unless you were already a spellcaster.

Practiced Spellcaster will not increase the number or effectiveness of your persona masks, as they have nothing to do with spellcasting whatsoever and are based entirely on your Master of Masks class level. The Master of Masks is not considered a spellcaster in its own right because it doesn't have its own spellcasting ability. Your level as a spellcaster has nothing to do with spell-like abilities which you may also possess.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 02:41 AM
"My mommy always used to say that cross-class learning was the key to a rich and fulfilling life." :smallwink: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html)

Pharaoh's Fist says that Bardic Knack is better.

Zaq
2010-01-04, 02:57 AM
I don't have the book open, but I'm pretty sure that a certain flavor of Dragon Shaman (I think Silver) gets those class skills. I may be wrong. Oh, and I know that the feat City Slicker adds at least one of those skills to your class list, but I don't remember which.

I should probably open my books before answering this kind of thing, but meh, it's late.

Thurbane
2010-01-04, 09:03 PM
Master of Masks is a fun class that usually gets overlooked as the poor cousin to the Chameleon or Factotum.

Personally, I think its pretty nifty. Definitely not the most mechanically powerful class out there, but it does have quite a bit of flexbility. Also, as noted, unlike the Chameleon, it does (partially) progress spellcasting, so it's not a terrible PrC for a Bard or similar.

@Boci: strangely enough, Beguiler does not have Perform as a class skill.

@Zaq: unfortunately, no Dragon Shaman gets all three required skills (Silver gets Bluff, Disguise & Jump). From memory, some of the Apprentice feats in the DMG II should be able to add the required skills to your class list.

Another class that can get in at 5th is the Aristocrat NPC class (DMG).