PDA

View Full Version : +Int templates?

2xMachina
2010-01-04, 03:41 AM
I can't seem to find good +int templates. Might be because those who wants Int don't like LA, so WoTC doesn't make so much of them.

So, say if you can have LA buyoff, and you're a Wizard/Psion/Archivist/whatever that wants Int, what templates is possible to be added to get more Int?

I can only think of 2 below +3LA so far. (+3LA can be bought off by lvl 18)

Half Nymph, +2 LA for some int. Don't think it's very good though
Half Dragon, +3 LA

There's also stuff like half-celestial/fiend, red dragonspawn and such, but +4LA.

JaronK
2010-01-04, 03:50 AM
Venerable Dragonwrought Kobolds can pull off +3 to all mental stats to start with no LA, so there's that. Grey Elves get +2 Int and -2 Con, again no LA. Maybe that will help a bit.

JaronK

Eldan
2010-01-04, 03:50 AM
The only one I can think of is Phrenic, here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) It only gives +2 int, though.

BooNL
2010-01-04, 04:12 AM
To be honest, unless you start off at a high enough level where you can buy everything off, any LA higher than 1 or 2 isn't worth it. Especially for full casters.

You'd be better off with a Grey Elf or a LA +1 race with +Int and get some extra levels in.

Schylerwalker
2010-01-04, 04:19 AM
Wait until you're fifth level and pick a fight with a vampire?

Eldan
2010-01-04, 04:20 AM
That's a little high for buyoff, though.

Grumman
2010-01-04, 05:37 AM
Spellwarped, +3 LA for +4 STR, CON and INT as well as Spell Resistance that gives you free buffs when it works.

Harperfan7
2010-01-04, 07:07 AM
Isn't 30 Int at 20th enough?

There was a feat in the 3.0 faerun campaign book that lets you treat your main casting stat as 2 points higher in regards to spells.

Cyclocone
2010-01-04, 07:56 AM
There was a feat in the 3.0 faerun campaign book that lets you treat your main casting stat as 2 points higher in regards to spells.

Yeah, Spellcasting Prodigy. The 3.0 version was crazy-good, and all casters had it.
But, alas, it was ignominiously nerfed in 3.5, and now noone has it; but such is life.

The Deep template (Dragon #306) gives +2 INT for +1 LA.

While not a template, Necrotic Empowerment (Book of Bad Latin) gives a +8 enhancement bonus (requires Mother Cyst, decent feat overall though).

Oh, and of course there's also classic tricks like PAOing into something with a higher INT score than you *cough*white ethergaunt*cough* (and I shudder to think of PAO +Reserves of Strength).

Yzzyx
2010-01-04, 08:22 AM
The only other one that comes to mind is the voidmind template (yes, having your brain eaten and replaced with goo makes you smarter). Having +3 LA, it's generally not worth it, however.

If there are any +0/+1 LA templates with a boost to int, I don't know about them, so they are almost certainly in Dungeon/Dragon magazine. +2 LA templates can be worth it, but I mostly support just Grey (Gray?) Elf, possibly with a template like Dark or Vecna-blooded.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-04, 10:55 AM
(yes, having your brain eaten and replaced with goo makes you smarter). .

I need to start watching more TV then.:smalltongue:

2xMachina
2010-01-04, 12:42 PM
Thanks. Those look ok. Not spectacular like some templates though.

I do suppose this is one case where melees get nicer things than wizards (given that there's a bunch of sweet low LA +Str/Dex templates to tack on)

mostlyharmful
2010-01-04, 01:39 PM
deep imaskari (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003b) are good, can easy get hold of the deep template too.

Half-fireelemental, +3 LA and the trusty Gravetouched Ghoul, +2 Int, +2LA both come to mind

deuxhero
2010-01-04, 02:19 PM
Lesser Tiefling (also comes with a +2 dex for you touch attack and initiative needs).