PDA

View Full Version : Am I just stupid or...

The Mentalist
2010-01-04, 10:17 AM
I was reading through Complete Mage again and finally looked at Abjurant Champion, Martial Arcanist

At 5th level, you master the art
of combining your militant and mystical training. From
this point on, your caster level in a chosen arcane spellcasting
class is equal to your base attack bonus (unless it would
otherwise be higher). For example, a 7th-level fighter/1st-level
wizard/5th-level abjurant champion has a base attack bonus of
+12 (and thus a caster level of 12th). You can apply this benefit
to only one arcane class to which you have added spellcasting
levels by your advancement as an abjurant champion.

Knowing how easy it is to raise caster level that seems sick.

Am I missing something?

Grumman
2010-01-04, 10:19 AM
Am I missing something?
Yes. You're looking at it backwards. It doesn't raise your B.A.B. to your Caster Level, it raises your Caster Level to your B.A.B.

The Mentalist
2010-01-04, 10:21 AM
Now I feel really stupid. Sorry all.

Note to self: Read it twice.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-04, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that ability is for the people who enter Abjurant Champion with the minimal amount of spellcasting. People who use it in a build like the ones you see around here (which maintain a high caster level throughout) won't ever need that ability.

Overshee
2010-01-04, 10:29 AM
Yes. You're looking at it backwards. It doesn't raise your B.A.B. to your Caster Level, it raises your Caster Level to your B.A.B.

Still seems good (yes I know that non-casters suck, but still..)

deuxhero
2010-01-04, 03:10 PM
And note it is "caster level" not "spell slots" or such (like practiced spellcaster)

erikun
2010-01-04, 03:13 PM
Right. The 7th level fighter/1st level wizard/5th level abjurant champion only has the spells of a 6th level wizard, so at most Fireball or Haste. On the other hand, their spells are doing 12d6 damage and lasting 12 rounds, as appropriate.

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 03:16 PM
You will now proceed to the homebrew forum and create a Gish class, with the feature "Arcane Martialist," which sets your BaB to your caster level.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 03:18 PM
Right. The 7th level fighter/1st level wizard/5th level abjurant champion only has the spells of a 6th level wizard, so at most Fireball or Haste. On the other hand, their spells are doing 12d6 damage and lasting 12 rounds, as appropriate.

Well fireball maxes at 10d6 but other than that yes. Hmmm. Now I need to do something with this class. So much to do so little time...

Duke of URL
2010-01-04, 03:53 PM
You will now proceed to the homebrew forum and create a Gish class, with the feature "Arcane Martialist," which sets your BaB to your caster level.

Who needs that when you have transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) available as a spell? (Alternatively: Arcane Devotion and divine power, if you want to retain spellcasting. In either case, it's based on character level, not caster level.)

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 04:12 PM
Who needs that when you have transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) available as a spell? (Alternatively: Arcane Devotion and divine power, if you want to retain spellcasting. In either case, it's based on character level, not caster level.)
Aren't there ways to make CL greater than Character level?

Person_Man
2010-01-04, 04:21 PM
Kensai can use his Instill ability to give a portion of his BAB (up to his Kensai level) to any ally. Thus a Whatever 5/Kensai 10 can lend his Whatever 10/Abjurant Champion 5 up to +10 BAB (with no upward cap), giving him Epic level caster level.

Sliver
2010-01-04, 04:28 PM
I guess I'm the only one looking at this Martial Arcanist thing and think "Wait, so now you can't improve your caster level?" Because, it is equal to your BAB...

Wabbajack
2010-01-04, 04:33 PM
[...](unless it would
otherwise be higher)[...]

Yes, you are^^

nekomata2
2010-01-04, 04:37 PM

Unfortunately, transformation sucks, since it removes your ability to cast, though it gives some decent temporary hit points. Divine power though, yeah, thats the money.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-04, 04:41 PM

Divine Power cheese. :smalltongue:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-04, 04:42 PM
Kensai can use his Instill ability to give a portion of his BAB (up to his Kensai level) to any ally. Thus a Whatever 5/Kensai 10 can lend his Whatever 10/Abjurant Champion 5 up to +10 BAB (with no upward cap), giving him Epic level caster level.

Yep. And since it's not a bonus, when multiple kensai Instil you with BAB, it stacks. :smallbiggrin: I've made several builds to get ridiculous caster level with Abjurant Champion, Kensai cohorts, and a dash of psionics; it's quite fun.

Eldariel
2010-01-04, 04:51 PM
It's a useful ability for fast progression classes without fast progression caster levels. Suel Arcanamach is the arch-example of this; without that, your Suel will never have caster level over 10, but Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5 has Caster Level Very High (very easily Character Level -1). Same goes for half-casters (especially Mystic Ranger if you pick Sword of the Arcane Order and can take the skillpoint loss, and get the DM to accept your ability to cast arcane spells making Mystic Ranger an arcane caster class) and such. Mostly, it's pretty trivial though.

Zeful
2010-01-04, 05:08 PM
Aren't there ways to make CL greater than Character level?

Yes. Orange Ioun Stone, Archmage Spell power class feature. You can get at least a CL of 6 higher than your Character level.

Bugbeartrap
2010-01-04, 06:24 PM
gah, don't forget bead of karma

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-04, 08:23 PM
Neraphim (or human/other race with the Otherworldly feat) wizard 5/abjurant champion 5 (using domain wizard and possibly Persisted divine power to qualify for the PrC, or do the following shenanigans to get HD and thus, BAB).

Add HD using the greater/barghest's feed ability through polymorph and Assume Supernatural Ability. Feed until you've reached 18 HD, raising your CL (and your BAB) each time. Cast divine power via domain wizard to boost yourself even higher. Voila.

Now, since the BAB-boosting is uncapped, and works off of character level, imagine what happens when you get into epic levels with it. Or swap bodies with something huge. Or gain templates (such as lycanthropy w/LA buyoff).

How about a factotum/chameleon/abjurant champion, or a wizard/ur-priest/mystic theurge/abjurant champion with an arcane source for the ur-priest. Etc.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-04, 08:36 PM
Divine Power only sets your BAB to your Character Level, not Caster Level.

ericgrau
2010-01-04, 08:45 PM

And it nukes your ability to cast spells, while meanwhile you have the special abilities of a fighter without bonus feats or a fallen paladin. Transforming yourself into an NPC class doesn't seem like the most phenomenal spell around. If anything it seems like a "Well, last spell left. At least I can hit with my bow now" spell.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-04, 08:51 PM
And it nukes your ability to cast spells, while meanwhile you have the special abilities of a fighter without bonus feats or a fallen paladin. Transforming yourself into an NPC class doesn't seem like the most phenomenal spell around. If anything it seems like a "Well, last spell left. At least I can hit with my bow now" spell.Seems like a good idea if you're polymorphed with a half-dozen other (all day) buffs up...

deuxhero
2010-01-04, 11:36 PM

Eh, Caster Level is pitifully easy to raise, BAB purposefully is impossible to (I think Kensai can do it, but only for someone else, and only temporarily)

Temotei
2010-01-05, 12:59 AM
Still seems good (yes I know that non-casters suck, but still..)

Noncasters don't suck. They're just less game-breaking than full casters.

Look at the Tome of Battle classes.