PDA

View Full Version : Meet Jesus Menedez

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 12:23 PM
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=32679

This is Jesus Menedez, master of martial arts, amateur Chippendale dancer and frequent resident of women's bedchambers. I want to make sure he isn't utterly worthless.

He is currently a 5th-level Pathfinder Monk, with Vows of Poverty, Peace and Non-Violence, with the intention of going into Apostle of Peace for two levels, then Sacred Fist. I'm trying to make him decent at combat maneuvers, specifically, grapple and trip, and he'll pick up Improved Trip with his bonus feat, next level.

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving him? For example, I've taken Improved Natural Attack, but I'm not sure I like it. Another thing I'm considering is moving my human +2 from Wisdom to Strength.

A few house rules: We're using pathfinder races, feats at 1st level and ever 2 levels thereafter (3, 5, 7), any class or feat from Pathfinder or 3.5 (not dragon) and a modified skill list.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 12:25 PM
INA does not apply to Pathfinder monks.

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 12:26 PM
It applies to Monks at our table.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 12:28 PM
Any other houserules I should know about?

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 12:31 PM
Only ones I can think of are those in the first post.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-04, 12:34 PM
I suggest naming him something different.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 12:35 PM
Agreed. He desperately needs a sexy middle name.

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 12:38 PM
I suggest naming him something different.
Bear in mind, that's a spanish "Jesus," so it comes out "Hey-zeus." Honestly, though, the name mostly stems from my having described the character to the other players, and them summing him up as "Man-whore Jesus."

Agreed. He desperately needs a sexy middle name.

Names are not my forte, unfortunately.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 12:39 PM
How about Miguel?

Zincorium
2010-01-04, 12:57 PM
Two middle names. Free- 'cause your parents raised you to be free of material things. You aren't held down by a house, or slowed down by heavy clothes. You is free.

And the second is King. They gave you the name of King because you are your own ruler, sovereign and uncorrupted.

You are Jesus Free King Menedez.

Oh, and if your gaming group hasn't murdered you over the Vow of Nonviolence/Vow of Peace thing, you should definitely go Apostle of Peace and Sacred Fist. You can not only catch arrows in your hand, you can catch hate.

Proven_Paradox
2010-01-04, 01:20 PM
Which you will need to be able to do, as I imagine this character will receive a great deal of hate. Like from me, right now, for that name. It's a good kind of hate, but still.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 01:24 PM
Does Pathfinder have an equivalent of or straight-up allow Battle Dancer? Because the whole Flamenco dance, Casanova, High CHA routine would work a great deal better with them, and the abilities (Flight, full BAB etc.) would mesh very well with your VoP.

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 01:35 PM
Does Pathfinder have an equivalent of or straight-up allow Battle Dancer? Because the whole Flamenco dance, Casanova, High CHA routine would work a great deal better with them, and the abilities (Flight, full BAB etc.) would mesh very well with your VoP.

I'm not familiar with this class, truth be told.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 01:36 PM
I'm not familiar with this class, truth be told.

Its from Dragon Compendium. Like Monk but chaotic, not all good saves, full BAB, and class features powerd by Tumble some of which emulate flight and pounce.

Mongoose87
2010-01-04, 01:38 PM
Ah, I see. Dragon is a problem, as I cannot use it.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 01:52 PM
Ah, I see. Dragon is a problem, as I cannot use it.

Well Dragon Compendium is a printed book atleast but yeah I can see it being hard to get that in either way. It is strictly better than a monk 90% of the time and would fit your concept perfectly.

clockworkmonk
2010-01-04, 01:59 PM
Well, looking at the suggested name, I think it would make more sense to translate the whole thing

So, Jesús Libre Reyes Mendez.

Proven_Paradox
2010-01-04, 02:10 PM
I think you're missing the joke there. At least, the way I'm reading it.

Free. King.

Freeking.

Freaking.

Jesus Freaking Menedez.

clockworkmonk
2010-01-04, 02:15 PM
Indeed I am. I am terrible at detecting anything similar to a pun. Carry on then.

Person_Man
2010-01-04, 02:27 PM
Consider dropping at least 4 levels of Monk for 4 levels of Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429) for access to Test of Mettle. Also, I suggest that you be a tiny race (I suggest Hengeyokai) so that you can use Confound the Big Folk (Races of Stone).

Your combo is hilarious.

Move into an enemy's square without provoking an AoO (Confound the Big Folk). Use Test of Mettle (Knight), which is only a Swift Action. Enemies must now all Save (this DC is boosted by your Vows) or attack only you as long as they are not attacked by someone else. But before they attack you, they must Save vs your Calming Aura (Vows). If they can attack you, they have a 50% chance of hitting the enemy who's square you're in (Confound the Big Folk). If they do hit you, the weapon must Save or break against you (Vows). Plus, you have all of your actions available to cast any non-attack spell you want (Apostle of Peace).

Pretty much the best aggro combo in D&D - it allows everyone else in your party to focus on one enemy at a time, while every other enemy who fails their Save must attempt the futile task of trying to attack you.