PDA

View Full Version : Danger: Grues

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 01:13 PM
Do stats for the Grue exist anywhere?

Also, what do people think of the idea... of a campaign set completely in the darkness?

Dust
2010-01-04, 01:14 PM
I think there would be at least three minutes of sniggering whenever anyone cast Magic Missile.

Signmaker
2010-01-04, 01:17 PM
Xyzzy, damnit, xyzzy! Why don't you work!
:smallfrown:

No clue.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 01:18 PM
There are Grues in Complete Arcane, but I doubt they are the one you mean. (Of Zorky fame)

sonofzeal
2010-01-04, 01:18 PM
Yeah, they're in Complete Arcane. Yes, Complete Arcane has monsters. Who knew? =P

They're pretty sucky though, basically just small evil elementals. If it is pitch dark and you are likely to be eaten by a grue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nigRT2KmCE)... homebrew is a friend.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 01:21 PM
Two things:

1) About the only thing CArc Grues have in common with the real thing are the "spawned in dark places" line of fluff. I wasn't aware the Elemental Plane of Fire HAD dark places, but whatever.

2) Why aren't they pseudonatural? They're definitely ugly enough.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-04, 01:24 PM
1) About the only thing CArc Grues have in common with the real thing are the "spawned in dark places" line of fluff. I wasn't aware the Elemental Plane of Fire HAD dark places, but whatever.

Obviously the firelight causes lots of shadows. In the fire.

Optimystik
2010-01-04, 01:26 PM
Obviously the firelight causes lots of shadows. In the fire.

Or maybe it's the smoke? You know, from all the fuel not being burned and everything.

tyckspoon
2010-01-04, 01:27 PM
Stats? STATS? Here's your stats!

It is dark: You experience a sense of impending demise. You have 1d4 rounds to make it not-dark. If you do not do so, you are eaten.
It is light: You see no Grue. No stats needed.

BRC
2010-01-04, 01:28 PM
Stats? STATS? Here's your stats!

It is dark: You experience a sense of impending demise. You have 1d4 rounds to make it not-dark. If you do not do so, you are eaten.
It is light: You see no Grue. No stats needed.
What if you are one of the 5321 races that have Darkvision?

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 01:29 PM

Atleast you don't know what colour it is...
Blindsight too though.

Animefunkmaster
2010-01-04, 01:32 PM
I had a few adventures in complete darkness, but vision became an issue. OOTS jokes aside, one players darkvision became everyone's nightlight. And splitting up who knows what was a difficult task.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 01:34 PM
Do stats for the Grue exist anywhere?

Also, what do people think of the idea... of a campaign set completely in the darkness?

So like Pitch Black? Can I roll up stats for Vin Diesel? Oh wait. Maybe you can get him to show up himself. I hear he plays DnD. I bet hed be into this.

tyckspoon
2010-01-04, 01:44 PM

You catch a glimpse of the beast 1 round before you are eaten. It's really ugly. How are you doing on that light source?

Telonius
2010-01-04, 02:02 PM

I'd call for a sanity check.

jmbrown
2010-01-04, 02:06 PM
Grues have no stats. If they had stats they could be killed and you can't kill a grue. All you can do is pray that within 3 rounds you manage to find some light.

If you ask me, grue aren't creatures but the darkness personified. Despite how people might argue, light is actually the absence of darkness hence why darkness pervades around a ring of light. When darkness envelopes a living creature completely it literally consumes them.

Flaming Nun
2010-01-04, 04:32 PM
Despite how people might argue, light is actually the absence of darkness ...

Or would they argrue?

Swordgleam
2010-01-04, 05:51 PM
The 4e MM has something called a "Foulspawn Grue."

Little-known anthropological fact: "Grue" is the third color most cultures create a name for, and is green/blue. The first two are red and yellow (I think in that order).

Thurbane
2010-01-04, 09:16 PM
Grues have been in D&D since 1E (MM2 from memory). I remember the nasty little buggers from playing ToEE.

Lycan 01
2010-01-04, 09:29 PM
Hm. Grue... I've never quite understood what they are, or where they came from. But a friend of mine always tells me that if my DnD party pisses me off, I should have them mysteriously killed off by a grue.

Although... The idea of "You have 1d4 rounds to make light, or die" sounds kinda fun. I may have to use it in my upcoming campaign. And since they don't have stats, level makes no difference, which makes me feel less bad about having a lvl 2-3 party exposed to such vile abominations. :smallamused:

I have this mental image in my head from an old preview I saw for Pitch Black. Its when the guy blows fire, and the whole screen lights up, and all you see are thousands of claws and mandibles shrieking and recoiling from the glow of the flame. That image has stuck with me for many, many years... And now I finally have a chance to impliment such a scene into one of my games. Awesome. :smallcool:

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 09:32 PM
I have this mental image in my head from an old preview I saw for Pitch Black. Its when the guy blows fire, and the whole screen lights up, and all you see are thousands of claws and mandibles shrieking and recoiling from the glow of the flame. That image has stuck with me for many, many years... And now I finally have a chance to impliment such a scene into one of my games. Awesome. :smallcool:

It was awful nice of those near mindless killer animals to wait for him to see how doomed he was before killing him...

Lycan 01
2010-01-04, 09:48 PM
Really? I always assumed that was Riddick. I haven't seen the whole movie, actually. Only the first third or so... :smallconfused:

Hm. So, if I were to impliment Grues, how would this sound?

The players enter a long hallway. About halfway down the hall, all the torches go out, and it becomes pitch black. I tell them to make a roll (Arcana? Nature? Dungeoneering? :smallconfused:) and inform them that they have 1d4 rounds to create a light source, lest the Grue strip the flesh from their bones.

Then, every time somebody tries to create light, they roll a check. These are doomed to fail, of course, until the last possible moment. Turning on a glowrod? Roll... Oh, that's too bad. You hit it too hard, and it shattered. Casting a fireball? Roll to attack... The fire dies in your hand, leaving nothing but quickly fading cinders. Finally, on the last turn, whoever goes last succeeds. The light flares up, and countless talons, claws, mandibles, and tendrils shriek and recoil back into the darkness.

A few rounds later, the light goes out, and the process begins anew. :smallamused:

ocdscale
2010-01-04, 09:49 PM

Little-known anthropological fact: "Grue" is the third color most cultures create a name for, and is green/blue. The first two are red and yellow (I think in that order).

I don't have my copy of The Language Instinct (which talked a little about this linguistic phenomenon) but I'm pretty sure I recall that it was closer to,
If a culture had words for only:
Two colors, they were almost always Black and White
Three color, usually Red was added
Four colors, add Blue (probably some form of "Grue" as you say, in that "green" things would get rolled into it if they lacked a specific word for green)
Five colors, add Yellow or Green
Six colors, add Yellow or Green

As for stats, I agree that Grues are more of a plot entity than a physical entity. As far as I know, the Zork Grue hasn't been stated yet.

Swordgleam
2010-01-04, 09:53 PM
I don't have my copy of The Language Instinct (which talked a little about this linguistic phenomenon) but I'm pretty sure I recall that it was closer to,
If a culture had words for only:
Two colors, they were almost always Black and White

You could be right. I took anthropology a few years ago, so the research might have changed since then, or maybe my book just wasn't very good. Either way, I sold it back, so I can't look it up again.

According to wiki, both our versions are sort of right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Color_Terms:_Their_Universality_and_Evolutio n

It's light-warm colors / dark-cool colors, then red, yellow, grue and so on.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 09:54 PM
Really? I always assumed that was Riddick. I haven't seen the whole movie, actually. Only the first third or so... :smallconfused:

I could be thinking of a different part of the movie where a different character gets a light source up just to get killed...

I know someone in the movie does that. Come to think of it I think it was some kinda glowing rod...

Kylarra
2010-01-04, 09:54 PM
Then, every time somebody tries to create light, they roll a check. These are doomed to fail, of course, until the last possible moment. Turning on a glowrod? Roll... Oh, that's too bad. You hit it too hard, and it shattered. Casting a fireball? Roll to attack... The fire dies in your hand, leaving nothing but quickly fading cinders. Finally, on the last turn, whoever goes last succeeds. The light flares up, and countless talons, claws, mandibles, and tendrils shriek and recoil back into the darkness.

A few rounds later, the light goes out, and the process begins anew. :smallamused:Other than that part it sounds "fun". :smallamused:

If it is predetermined by you, then why bother rolling?

Lycan 01
2010-01-04, 10:00 PM
After the first encounter, the rolls will actually be succeed-able. I just want the first contact to be stressful and freak them out. I'll be consulting notes and doing math, of course, to make them think the rolls are just difficult and not impossible.

But, I suppose I should give them a chance, although I feel the whole "last minute success" thing would be more dramatic. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: To see how they react. I want them to think its possible, but they're just rolling badly. Now, if somebody rolls a 20, I won't have much choice in the matter, will I? :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-01-04, 10:02 PM
After the first encounter, the rolls will actually be succeed-able. I just want the first contact to be stressful and freak them out. I'll be consulting notes and doing math, of course, to make them think the rolls are just difficult and not impossible.

But, I suppose I should give them a chance, although I feel the whole "last minute success" thing would be more dramatic. :smallbiggrin:

You could always have stuff going on to hurt their chances too, y'know.

"The corridor is quite gusty, your torch goes out."

"When did you last check fuel for your lamp?"

"In your fumbling, you open your Decanter of Endless Water and douse your tindertwig."

Stuff like that.

The Grue
2010-01-04, 10:16 PM
I swear I saw a grue entry in one of the 3.5 Monster Manuals or something.

Also, obligatory post.

Eldariel
2010-01-04, 10:19 PM

Amusingly, I don't think Finnish even contains one. If it does, I've never heard it. I mean, there's "sinivihreä", but that's a combination of "sininen" ("blue") and "vihreä" ("green") [not a proper compound, but close enough]. So eh, yeah.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-04, 10:30 PM

Little-known anthropological fact: "Grue" is the third color most cultures create a name for, and is green/blue. The first two are red and yellow (I think in that order).The Greeks had no word for 'blue'. They were convinced the sky was 'bronze'.

Yes, that bronze.

Another little-known fact: You can walk on a swimming pool full of custard. Certain high-class prophets are wont to use their transmutation spells in this way to 'walk on water'.

Made for a really fun party trick.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-04, 10:35 PM
After the last time the party went without light during combat, everyone having a 50% miss chance, and worse, targeting issues of not knowing precisely which square to target... they very quickly sprung for Lanterns with Continual Light inside.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-04, 10:36 PM
After the last time the party went without light during combat, everyone having a 50% miss chance, and worse, targeting issues of not knowing precisely which square to target... they very quickly sprung for Lanterns with Continual Light inside.Bull's eye lanterns + pyrotechnics = your friends.

Swordgleam
2010-01-04, 10:51 PM
The Greeks had no word for 'blue'. They were convinced the sky was 'bronze'.

What's kuanos mean, then?

Though the 'the sky is bronze' thing does explain quite a lot.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-04, 11:01 PM
The Greeks had no word for 'blue'. They were convinced the sky was 'bronze'.

Yes, that bronze.

Bronze over time gains a patina that much more resembles the sky then the untarnished alloy.

Lycan 01
2010-01-04, 11:02 PM
What would be the approximate XP reward for a lvl 3 party that escapes from a hallway full of Grue? :smallconfused:

Its basically one big "save-or-die" gauntlet, but... the enemies don't actually exist. How do you reward surviving that? I'm thinking... 100 XP per character for the whole hallway, with bonus XP for good roleplaying and creative light ideas?

taltamir
2010-01-04, 11:10 PM
Hm. Grue... I've never quite understood what they are, or where they came from. But a friend of mine always tells me that if my DnD party pisses me off, I should have them mysteriously killed off by a grue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork

TheThan
2010-01-04, 11:12 PM
The only people who have seen grues, have unfortunately been eaten by them, so no help there.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-04, 11:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_(monster)

Thinker
2010-01-05, 12:38 AM
Grues have no stats. If they had stats they could be killed and you can't kill a grue. All you can do is pray that within 3 rounds you manage to find some light.

If you ask me, grue aren't creatures but the darkness personified. Despite how people might argue, light is actually the absence of darkness hence why darkness pervades around a ring of light. When darkness envelopes a living creature completely it literally consumes them.
Sounds like the Vashta Nerada

Coidzor
2010-01-05, 02:57 AM
Hmm... Sort of like...sentient darkness, which if it envelopes a character (who is always going to be flat-footed against it), eats the character unless they can create light ind 1d4 rounds. Only light from a significant light-giving source will work to destroy it, mere sparks will not be enough.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-05, 04:50 AM
The only people who have seen grues, have unfortunately been eaten by them, so no help there.
Silly, everyone knows all grues are bleen. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleen):smallamused:

Xenogears
2010-01-05, 09:02 AM
Silly, everyone knows all grues are bleen. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleen):smallamused:

Well considering that everyone knows that "bleen" is really a combination of "blood" and "spleen" for all those kids who want to draw morbid pictures then yeah...

taltamir
2010-01-05, 09:08 AM
Well considering that everyone knows that "bleen" is really a combination of "blood" and "spleen" for all those kids who want to draw morbid pictures then yeah...

I would have thought blue and green... aka cyan

Xenogears
2010-01-05, 09:16 AM
I would have thought blue and green... aka cyan

It's a line from Married With Children actually. The dumb daughter is working in a lab, says she is making a new colour called "bleen", the person assumes she means what you did and she says what I did. She winds up making a lotion that gives guys perfect hair with the side-effect of making them sexually attracted to their wives again so everyone stops using it...

taltamir
2010-01-05, 09:20 AM
>.<
I loved married with children, its so damn funny.

Xenogears
2010-01-05, 09:24 AM
>.<
I loved married with children, its so damn funny.

Well then you should thank Ted Bundy for helping make it so popular by a random happenstance of having a similiar name...

I loved that show too. Haven't watched it in a long time though.

Lapak
2010-01-05, 12:07 PM
Grues have no stats. If they had stats they could be killed and you can't kill a grue. All you can do is pray that within 3 rounds you manage to find some light.Nah. I've killed grues before; I've played Beyond Zork.

They should have an awfully high CR, though. :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2010-01-05, 12:10 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pwned.png

Thurbane
2010-01-05, 03:29 PM
Well then you should thank Ted Bundy for helping make it so popular by a random happenstance of having a similiar name...

I loved that show too. Haven't watched it in a long time though.
I liked when they had WWF wrestler King Kong Bundy as a guest character on the show. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-05, 04:21 PM

I like the ones that are Blellow better.:smallwink:

Rixx
2010-01-05, 05:23 PM
Pathfinder Database has a 3.5-compatible homebrew Grue: http://www.pathfinderdb.com/gamemaster-options/bestiary/313-grue

Haven't looked over it for balance or anything yet, though.

Tyrmatt
2010-01-05, 06:14 PM
If it helps, I always though of Grue's looking like the Pink Demons from Doom 3, except totally sightless.While it's been linked to, no one has explicitly mentioned the Gateway Bestiary for the 2E Grue.

For a campaign set entirely in darkness, I look to the Green Lanterns...sort of...

In loudest din or hush profound
My ears catch evil's slightest sound
Let those who toll out evil's knell
Beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!

Another_Poet
2010-01-05, 07:12 PM
Or would they argrue?

I can't believe no one lol'd this.

You, Flaming Nun, get one lol for having a cool username and one megalol for this comment.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-05, 09:27 PM
Interesting thing... I think in Zork (if no one has mentioned this) you could "look grue", and it would tell you how it slithered and had feathers. Or something like that.

Stompy
2010-01-05, 09:37 PM

Grue would probably be dungeoneering, because it is generally considered to be (at least in this case) an aberration(s) with a lot of mouths, tendrils, and etc., and it tends to live underground.

everburning torch = your best friend

...and can we make the dragon from the Atari game Adventure next?

OracleofWuffing
2010-01-05, 11:48 PM
...and can we make the dragon from the Atari game Adventure next?
:smallconfused: I don't recall any dragons in Adventure. Now, ducks, on the other hand... :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-01-06, 12:49 AM
Interesting thing... I think in Zork (if no one has mentioned this) you could "look grue", and it would tell you how it slithered and had feathers. Or something like that.

Someone play it (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/188334) and find out for us :smalltongue:

Lycan 01
2010-01-06, 01:49 AM
Ironically, Pitch Black is on right now... :smallconfused:

Actually, if I can find the scene I mentioned earlier on youtube, I could just set it up so that when they finally get a light source to work, I can just open my laptop up and be like "Yeah, this is what you see." :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Hm. Found an old trailer. The scene itself was only a split second, so it won't serve the purpose I'd hoped. Oh well... :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-01-06, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=Pharaoh's Fist;7627048]Do stats for the Grue exist anywhere?
QUOTE]

Who needs stats?

DM: It's dark.
Player: I walk forward.
DM: You get eaten by a grue.
Player: WHAT?!?!?!?I DON"T GET A SAVE?!?!?!?
DM: Nope.

End of conversation.