PDA

View Full Version : para and quasi elemental planes

Samb
2010-01-04, 01:35 PM
Are they still around or are they a relic of planescape/dark sun? There are paraelementals in CPsi but no mention of them in the manual of planes or planar handbook. The entries on the gem dragons lists them as outsiders, and feeding on the gems of their native plane. Seems to harken to the quasielemental plane of mineral.

The quasi-elemental plane of mineral was my favorite. If you needed gems or gold, you plane shift over the this place and mine for a bit to get a fistful of primo stuff. Or find a permenant portal to this place and have a wargasm over all the great magically arms you make for almost free.

If anyone knows which book has any mention please let me know please.

Zaydos
2010-01-04, 01:38 PM
The Manual of the Planes does in fact have stats for Paraelementals (right before yugoloths I think), but only vague mentions of paraelemental planes in where it talks about variant cosmologies IIRC. A Dragon Magazine had stats for Paraelemental Monoliths and paraelemental creature templates. I'm sure somebody knows which one.

As for the Quasi-Elementals planes as far as I know WotC dropped them completely. I loved Mineral, though. Didn't really care for the rest, they seemed dangerous.

arguskos
2010-01-04, 01:46 PM
The Quasi-Elemental Planes were dropped entirely before 3e, which sucks, since I loved Mineral, Lightning, and Vacuum greatly.

The Para-Elemental Planes are mentioned in the 3e Manual of the Planes, with the Para-Elementals themselves getting stats.

The Quasi-Elementals are statted out unofficially in the Planewalker supplement Denizens of the Inner Planes. It's a free download, and totally worth getting. :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2010-01-04, 01:52 PM
The Quasi-Elementals are statted out unofficially in the Planewalker supplement Denizens of the Inner Planes. It's a free download, and totally worth getting. :smallwink:

That sounds intriguing; you got a link?

Eldan
2010-01-04, 01:56 PM
Here. (http://www.planewalker.com/denizens-inner-planes) Mind, it's a fan project, but it converts most inner planar creatures from old planescape to 3.X.

Samb
2010-01-04, 03:21 PM
I personally didn't want to go to any of the quasi elemental planes, especially vacuum (is it like outer space or a black hole?), but I loved the idea of quasielementals. Too bad our PCs will never fight a lightening elemental.

hamishspence
2010-01-04, 03:26 PM
MM3 Storm Elementals come pretty close to being Lightning Elementals.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 03:34 PM
MM3 Storm Elementals come pretty close to being Lightning Elementals.

Their entry is wierd though. They screwed up some of the stats between Greater and Elder. According to the Table (Which annoyingly is the only part of the entry that covers their main attack) the Greater does more damage and has a higher save DC despite having lower CR, stats, and HD. I'm pretty sure you need to switch the entries. Luckily I know that the DC's need to be switched since the formula for determining DC's makes the numbers obvious, but since there is no text to contradict it RAW says the greater storm elemental is both bigger and stronger than the elder...

hamishspence
2010-01-04, 03:36 PM
Was it ever errataed?

Zaydos
2010-01-04, 03:38 PM
but... but quasi-elementals were weaker than normal elementals... not stronger. That said I've used Storm Elementals as Lightning Elementals before. They do pretty well for it.

Xenogears
2010-01-04, 03:39 PM
....... to be honest I never read Errata. I haven't gotten a chance to play DnD in a couple years now and so it's never been a priority.

But if you look at the entries it's pretty clear that on the table they just switched the names on the greater and elder entries and everything is fine.

Just to make sure I calculated the Save DC's (It says it's con based so that makes it DC 10+1/2HD+Con Mod) and elders equals what is listed for greater and greaters matches what is listed for elder.

arguskos
2010-01-04, 03:56 PM
That sounds intriguing; you got a link?
Eldan got me beat. It's pretty neat, even though the quasi's are fairly weakish. I personally think they aren't that great, but they're FUN, which is what matters.

Also, and more importantly, there is a template for Archomentals! :smalleek::smallbiggrin:

And, further, in a sidebar there is a list of all known archomentals and leaders in the quasi-elemental planes. It's a treasure trove for elemental lovers, and is all taken from 2e material. It's a great project over at Planewalker, though it's kinda dead.