PDA

View Full Version : [4e] One-handed polearm?

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-04, 02:24 PM
I'm actually playing a tiefling warlord with the infernal captain feat (dragon 369 I think). I want to buy a Devil's Tongue polearm when I have enough gp, but I also want to keep my shield (actually I fight sword&board), so here's the question, anybody knows if there's a one-handed polearm (prerequisite for Devil's Tongue weapon), or if there's an obscure and forgotten feat that allows to wield a polearm in melee with one hand?

Evard
2010-01-04, 02:27 PM
I'm also very interested in this answer... A long spear and shield would be awesome :D

Corvus
2010-01-04, 02:53 PM
There is no one handed polearm.

The only way that you can get to wield a polearm and shield is through the Eternal Defender ED Martial Power, which requires you to be a fighter, and not until level 24, when you can wield weapons as if you were one size larger (ie two handed weapons in one hand.)

hamishspence
2010-01-04, 02:59 PM
I thought Eberron Campaign guide might have had one- maybe as an exotic weapon.

nekomata2
2010-01-04, 03:04 PM
From Eberron, the Zulaat is a polearm double weapon, but I can't remember if 4E does the whole use one end in one hand bit, but it likely does.

Evard
2010-01-04, 03:08 PM
Zulaat are +2prof defensive stout weapon... but not reach :(

Yakk
2010-01-04, 03:59 PM
The Talenta Sharrash is just a small two-handed weapon.

Which means it can be used by small characters.

It remains a two-handed weapon for normal sized characters, even if small.

Mando Knight
2010-01-04, 05:42 PM
There is no one handed polearm.

The only way that you can get to wield a polearm and shield is through the Eternal Defender ED Martial Power, which requires you to be a fighter, and not until level 24, when you can wield weapons as if you were one size larger (ie two handed weapons in one hand.)

Not how it works. Wielding weapons as if you're one size larger means you can grab a Large weapon, not wield a 2H weapon in one hand.

Corvus
2010-01-04, 09:27 PM
From the PHB;

Large creatures can use two-handed weapons intended for creatures one size category smaller than themselves and treat them as one-handed weapons.

That would imply that given you are classified as large for purposes of wielding weapons then you can use a polearm in one hand.

Talyn
2010-01-05, 01:51 PM
Wouldn't a one-handed polearm just be an axe?

Or maybe a short spear, depending on which kind of pointy bit is on the end.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-05, 02:24 PM
Wouldn't a one-handed polearm just be an axe?

Or maybe a short spear, depending on which kind of pointy bit is on the end.

Yeah, maybe you're right, but we are looking for the "polearm" keyword to grab the polearm feats/weapons.

Choco
2010-01-05, 02:38 PM
I have had to houserule this before. As long as you are proficient with the weapon, you can use it 2-handed as a polearm/reach weapon or 1-handed as a normal (non-reach) weapon, provided it is a stabbity weapon. The spear+shield wielders are really what inspired this.

Shardan
2010-01-05, 03:03 PM
That would mean BugBear could do it, right? Use a weapon one size larger making it able to use reach polearm in one hand.

If you just want the Defense from the shield, Zulaat is defensive but it doesn't have reach.

I might allow a 'staff fighting' style feat to allow you to make polearms defensive with a 1d6 staff second end letting you declare at the start of each turn whether or not you're using it as a double weapon or reach weapon. Maybe later allow a light shield that can be used with a two handed weapon or allow gloves to wield the weapon one handed. Its not too powerful to allow, but it might be too powerful to allow for free.