PDA

View Full Version : Considering options for Cleric advancement

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-04, 09:07 PM
I'm considering two options for my cleric's advancement right now and I want to make sure I'm understanding the abilities of each correctly.

The first is to go for Contemplative and get the Magic Domain to support a party that doesn't have an arcane caster. Given that I only have four levels of Cloistered Cleric before I started prestige classing I would only count as a level 2 wizard. Would this mean I could only use level 1 scrolls and wands? If that is the case then I don't think this would be particularly effective. I would really like access to some nice arcane buffs like Bite of the Werebear and give the party some good control from a wand of Solid Fog.

The other I am considering is a level of Prestige Paladin and then taking Battle Blessing as my next feat. If I understand this correctly I will add all the Paladin spells to my cleric list and be able to cast them at their Paladin level. So Greater Magic Weapon would now be a level 3 spell instead of a level 4. Then Battle Blessing would let me cast any Paladin spell as a swift action.

Am I understanding these choices correctly?

JaronK
2010-01-04, 09:09 PM
No, PrC Paladin only adds spells to your list which are Paladin only. Since GMW is also on the Cleric list, it does nothing for that spell.

JaronK

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-05, 05:23 PM
So would all spells on the Paladin list be affected by Battle Blessing, or only the ones that also don't appear on the Cleric list?

Glimbur
2010-01-05, 05:40 PM
So would all spells on the Paladin list be affected by Battle Blessing, or only the ones that also don't appear on the Cleric list?

You aren't casting spells as a Paladin, you are casting spells as a Cleric whose spellcasting is improved by Prestige Paladin. I also can't find the rule that adds Paladin-only spells like Holy Sword to your spell list.

Douglas
2010-01-05, 06:17 PM
Would this mean I could only use level 1 scrolls and wands?
You would be able to use any scroll or wand a level 2 Wizard can use. For wands, that's all of them on the wizard class list regardless of level. For scrolls, that's any wizard scroll with a caster level of 1 or 2, and higher level wizard scrolls can be used but require a caster level check. You could use a scroll of Moment of Prescience (caster level 15) provided your roll of d20+2 came up 16 or higher, just like a level 2 wizard could.

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-05, 09:01 PM
You aren't casting spells as a Paladin, you are casting spells as a Cleric whose spellcasting is improved by Prestige Paladin. I also can't find the rule that adds Paladin-only spells like Holy Sword to your spell list.

It's in a box at the bottom of page 71

The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists in the Player’s Handbook
(as well as similar lists in other books) contain a number of
spells that don’t appear on other classes’ spell lists. In general,
any character who enters one of these prestige classes should
gain access to spells unique to that class’s spell list from the
Player’s Handbook, at the same levels indicated for the standard
class

Would be able to cast a spell using Anyspell or Greater Anyspell qualify as knowing that spell to use a wand of it? It requires a spellbook or scroll to use with Anyspell.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-05, 09:52 PM
Would be able to cast a spell using Anyspell or Greater Anyspell qualify as knowing that spell to use a wand of it? It requires a spellbook or scroll to use with Anyspell.
Yes, but only when that particular spell is prepared (but not used) in a domain spell slot. At any other time you don't know that spell.