PDA

View Full Version : What do you think the linier guild will do when he returns?

Half-orc Bard
2010-01-05, 01:03 AM
I'm guessing that they'll help the OOTS find the gate and attack Xykon and then when the OOTS begin to trust them and then they will attack them which they had done in the past.

TheSummoner
2010-01-05, 01:10 AM
Yes, because the OOTS would be stupid enough to trust the guys they've had to fight three times so far...

Ancalagon
2010-01-05, 02:17 AM
I guess they will cause chaos and unnecessary conflict.

I also hope they die.

Forbiddenwar
2010-01-05, 02:30 AM
who?:smallconfused:
Who's the linier guild? I don't think we met him before.

FujinAkari
2010-01-05, 03:00 AM
probably why its taken him so long to return. Awful hard to return some place you've never been.

Ancalagon
2010-01-05, 03:39 AM
I bet there was a time when your english was worse than his...

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-05, 04:26 AM
I hope Pompey and V face off. It'll be good to see V fight at shim's own level again, instead of being all hopped up on Evil.

Setra
2010-01-05, 05:10 AM
hey that linier guild is a pretty cool guy, stabs the order and doesn't afraid of anything.
--
More seriously, I hope to see them hatching a plan to.. well just hatching a plan in general, they're good at that.

I hope Pompey and V face off. It'll be good to see V fight at shim's own level again, instead of being all hopped up on Evil.
Wasn't Pompey a low level caster though?

Skeppio
2010-01-05, 05:30 AM

Pompey quit the Linear Guild along with Leeky Windstaff, remember? Odds are, we're gonna see a couple of new faces in the Linear Guild when they return.

UnluckyPotato
2010-01-05, 07:48 AM
Now that V's been humbled, would Pompey's replacement be the opposite of his current mental state? :smallconfused:

Optimystik
2010-01-05, 07:55 AM
I guess they will cause chaos and unnecessary conflict.

I also hope they die.

Pretty much this

Ancalagon
2010-01-05, 08:13 AM
More seriously, I hope to see them hatching a plan to.. well just hatching a plan in general, they're good at that.

We're talking about the same Linear Guild (to get the name correct at least once), no?
Nales plans are not "good". They are needlessly complicated, have a rather pointless motivation, and lack any true insight into things. Also, all his plans so far have failed quite miserably in the end - and it's even a surprise they came that far.
Nale's most valuable asset in his plans is that he is much higher level than the "pawns" he moves around (I guess he's around the level of the Order and thus one of the most powerful characters around) to get his plan on the way.
Without his superior power to get his spells through etc, he'd be totally lost in his... hum... lets call it "entangled" schemes.

Cheesegear
2010-01-05, 08:50 AM
Also, all his [Nale] plans so far have failed quite miserably in the end - and it's even a surprise they came that far.

Huh? His plan to frame his brother for horrible murders, infiltrate the Order and slowly take them out one-by-one was going swimmingly until his wine-and-dine (and potential killing) with Haley was interrupted by Elan, Thog and Sabine. (i.e; He only failed because plot demanded it).

Fact is, Nale's a pretty smart guy. He only fails because of plot, or by having terrible minions.

Kish
2010-01-05, 08:59 AM
Huh? His plan to frame his brother for horrible murders, infiltrate the Order and slowly take them out one-by-one was going swimmingly until his wine-and-dine (and potential killing) with Haley was interrupted by Elan, Thog and Sabine. (i.e; He only failed because plot demanded it).

Rather, i.e., he failed because he incorrectly assumed that the prison in a city Nale was able to terrorize would be able to hold Elan.

Optimystik
2010-01-05, 09:04 AM

No, he failed because he counted on a bunch of mundane town guards to keep his brother out of the picture - the same mistake that the Order made with him. He should have known from his own experience how inadequate typical town guards are at this, and found a way to keep his brother down.

He also counted on Thog to stick to the plan in his absence, which was also foolish.

Ninja'd by Kish of course. :smallsigh:

Fact is, Nale's a pretty smart guy. He only fails because of plot, or by having terrible minions.

It's not so much that Nale is smart, but rather that the Order is just as dumb. Vaarsuvius at least should have picked up on Elan's irregularities, or communicated them to the others (being gay? "I'm Elan!"? Using words like "inexplicably?") How about Roy taking him to Shojo to reiterate the entire lore of the Sapphire Guard? Haley not looking askance at him using phrases like "your absence was like a confirmed critical from a keen scythe?"

TimelordSimone
2010-01-05, 09:05 AM
Pompey quit the Linear Guild along with Leeky Windstaff, remember? Odds are, we're gonna see a couple of new faces in the Linear Guild when they return.

Really? I got the impression they've given up on the Evil Opposite thing.

~*~

I'm also not sure if and when they'll return. Maybe they'll come to this gate, but we already have the main plot with the Order and Team Evil, a potential sub-plot involving Haley's father, and another with the church of Tiamat.
So much though I'd like to see the Linear Guild return, it may not happen anytime soon.
Esecially considering they left Azure City because of how much was going on there. :P

Setra
2010-01-05, 09:39 AM
We're talking about the same Linear Guild (to get the name correct at least once), no?
Nales plans are not "good". They are needlessly complicated, have a rather pointless motivation, and lack any true insight into things.
Those are the best kinds of plans :smallbiggrin:

TheSummoner
2010-01-05, 10:31 AM
He also counted on Thog to stick to the plan in his absence, which was also foolish.

Eh, to be fair, Thog DID stick to the plan until Elan outsmarted him... then again, thats about as hard as outsmarting green Jello... then again, this IS Elan we're talking about, thats like red Jello outsmarting green Jello...

Esecially considering they left Azure City because of how much was going on there. :P

Yes, but they left specifically to seek out a different gate. That means one of three things...

1) They are at/headed to Girard's Gate.
2) They are at/headed to Kraagor's Gate.
3) They are hoplessly lost because there is almost no record of the gates.
4) Gate? What gate?

Ancalagon
2010-01-05, 12:08 PM
Those are the best kinds of plans :smallbiggrin:

Yes. The problem is they usually only work because the "heroes" have them - and thus are subject to "because of the plot".

Nale really is much dumber than he thinks he is - and the same goes for his plans. Anyone with enough free time can stack scheme upon scheme. The plans are "ok" but they really are not "smart".

But I already got that "it's ok" and "it's brilliant" are confused on this forum quite often (see the debate on Xykon's Int and Wis), so I won't complain... as I'm afraid of the resulting discussion. ;)

Zevox
2010-01-05, 02:20 PM
Vaarsuvius at least should have picked up on Elan's irregularities, or communicated them to the others (being gay? "I'm Elan!"? Using words like "inexplicably?")
I think you mean Durkon. V's powers of perception are not exactly the greatest. And we know from a War and XPs bonus strip that V really isn't likely to notice anything odd about homosexual behavior in particular.

How about Roy taking him to Shojo to reiterate the entire lore of the Sapphire Guard?
You really think Roy, of all people, is going to give Elan enough credit to assume he wouldn't just forget something like that?

Haley not looking askance at him using phrases like "your absence was like a confirmed critical from a keen scythe?"
She made a conscious decision not to think about things like that, though. Which, admittedly, was stupid.

Zevox

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-05, 03:52 PM
Thog DID stick to the plan until Elan outsmarted him... then again, thats about as hard as outsmarting green Jello... then again, this IS Elan we're talking about, thats like red Jello outsmarting green Jello...

What are you trying to say about green Jello, you racist bastard?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-05, 04:11 PM
What are you trying to say about green Jello, you racist bastard?

I wish I could sig this.:smallfrown:(mods wouldn't let me.)

I lol'd

Optimystik
2010-01-05, 04:15 PM
I think you mean Durkon. V's powers of perception are not exactly the greatest. And we know from a War and XPs bonus strip that V really isn't likely to notice anything odd about homosexual behavior in particular.

Not great, perhaps, but "Elan's" language was still sufficiently advanced that it should have raised an eyebrow or two, I think.

You really think Roy, of all people, is going to give Elan enough credit to assume he wouldn't just forget something like that?

No, but neither would I expect him to sit through a full-length recounting just because of that. I'd expect him to be curtly dismissive, or at best give "Elan" a summary.

She made a conscious decision not to think about things like that, though. Which, admittedly, was stupid.

Zevox

We're agreed on that, then.

veti
2010-01-05, 04:30 PM
I'd say Nale's plans fail because they're monomaniacally focused on one aim, and that aim is in itself pretty sub-optimal. The one thing Nale really cares about is hurting Elan. Everything else is pretty much gravy to him.

Not surprising that he fails to defeat the OOTS - he's not even trying to, except in so far as it's necessary to get them out of the way to give him a run at his brother.

When they last met, however, Elan single-handedly defeated Nale in combat. Which means that merely getting the rest of the OOTS out of the way is no longer enough; Nale needs help over and above that, just to beat up his brother. Recently he heard about these things called "gates". Whatever he's got in mind to do with them, I'm betting his core goal remains the same: to hurt Elan.

Destroying the world would be a piffling side-effect to him.

hamishspence
2010-01-05, 05:07 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html

Going by this, while "escalation of petty revenge" is still the main plan, it will involve attempting to capture at least one gate first.

Forbiddenwar
2010-01-05, 05:31 PM
It would be kind of funny if they are at girard's gate, expecting the order to suddenly show up and get Xykon teleporting in instead. Ah, wackiness. Is there any way you can't ensue? Of course, I can't imagine them living long in a battle against Team Evil over the gate.

SoC175
2010-01-05, 05:42 PM
He only failed because plot demanded it No, he only came that far because plot demanded it. The master schemer couldn't even get so basic things like the names of his new teammates correct

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-05, 06:03 PM
Haley not looking askance at him using phrases like "your absence was like a confirmed critical from a keen scythe?"

Elan is a Bard. Isn't poetry part of their gimmick? Granted, Elan hasn't shown much skill at poetry ever, but you never know...

hey that linier guild is a pretty cool guy, stabs the order and doesn't afraid of anything.

Ahem:

I think Linear Guild is a pretty cool guy. eh stabs the order and doesn't afraid of anything.

Please get your meme right. :smalltongue: This part here is mostly an excuse to use the meme myself, since you got it before me.

SaintRidley
2010-01-05, 09:12 PM
Ahem:

I think Linear Guild is a pretty cool guy. eh stabs the order and doesn't afraid of anything.

Please get your meme right. :smalltongue: This part here is mostly an excuse to use the meme myself, since you got it before me.

That'd be right if we weren't talking about this mysterious linier guild.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-05, 09:26 PM
I wish I could sig this.:smallfrown:(mods wouldn't let me.)

I lol'd

Try replacing bastards with a bunch of asterisks. Spreading lols to the needy makes me feel special.

Another meme? What's the story behind this one?

Back on topic, when they do return, it will be in conjunction with the IFCC and their goals, Sabine's real masters.

They might show up at either one of the gates, with the Divine and Arcane casters needed to control one.

DBJack
2010-01-05, 09:58 PM
Well, let's look at it this way: Nale escaped only knowing what was told to him by Shojo. Presuming that Shojo explained the only two gates left were Girard's and Kraagor's, Nale would have to find one of them. However, Nale doesn't know where to begin. He needs to find a way to find the location of the gates.

My prediction is
that he went back to his father on the Western Continent. Heck, maybe he raised an army and conquered his father's and is now ruling one of the kingdoms where he has been looking for descriptions of, say, mirages in the desert. So he will make his reapearance at strip 700 with Haley's father and accidentally reveal where Girard's gate really is, and Haley must choose to save the gate or her father. Or something. I dunno.

In short, I think Nale's been researching the location of Girard's gate and will show up fairly soon.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-05, 10:59 PM
Try replacing bastards with a bunch of asterisks. Spreading lols to the needy makes me feel special.

I had a message in my signature before that said "Mcfarlane shows are like cockroaches. Filthy disgusting and never ******* die" and had to get rid of it for the exact same reason.