PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Wind Wall and Ranged Touch Attacks

LibraryOgre
2010-01-05, 02:06 PM
Should Wind Wall affect ranged touch attacks, especially those of the conjuration school? I'm thinking especially things like the Orb line of spells (esp. Orb of Acid), Melf's Acid Arrow or other spells that create discrete objects that are thrown at the target?

Optimystik
2010-01-05, 03:17 PM
No, because a RTA isn't a "normal ranged weapon."

Besides, how would a wind wall stop a ray? Say, enervation?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-05, 04:04 PM
Should Wind Wall affect ranged touch attacks, especially those of the conjuration school? I'm thinking especially things like the Orb line of spells (esp. Orb of Acid), Melf's Acid Arrow or other spells that create discrete objects that are thrown at the target?

From a game balance perspective it might be a good idea, to prevent a flying arcanist from chucking orbs from behind the protection of a wind wall (though he'd be protected himself and wizards have plenty of other options). However, as Optimystik said, it doesn't really make sense for most ranged touch spells, and those few for which it might make sense aren't really worth making an exception for--something along the lines of "blocks ranged touch spells that it would make sense for a wall of powerful wind to block and lets the rest through" isn't very useful or consistent.

LibraryOgre
2010-01-05, 04:30 PM
I agree, it doesn't make much sense for rays... which is why I specified the ones that created discrete objects. While they are not normal missiles, nor are they "massive ranged weapons." Magical objects are explicitly affected (since creatures in gaseous form and gaseous breath weapons both are listed). Magical missiles are not explicitly unaffected, and, of the categories listed, they fit best as either "arrows or bolts" (note: The spell does not say "non-magical arrows or bolts"), or "loose materials"... they're not creatures, but they're also quite similar to "tiny or small flying creatures."

Saph
2010-01-05, 04:31 PM
Does make sense, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to include.

Optimystik
2010-01-05, 05:01 PM
I agree, it doesn't make much sense for rays... which is why I specified the ones that created discrete objects. While they are not normal missiles, nor are they "massive ranged weapons." Magical objects are explicitly affected (since creatures in gaseous form and gaseous breath weapons both are listed). Magical missiles are not explicitly unaffected, and, of the categories listed, they fit best as either "arrows or bolts" (note: The spell does not say "non-magical arrows or bolts"), or "loose materials"... they're not creatures, but they're also quite similar to "tiny or small flying creatures."

But then you have to rule it differently based on material. Would it extinguish a fire orb? Add miss chance to a cold orb? Do nothing to a sonic orb?

Recall that the whole point of RTA's is that they're not being thrown - they're shot from the Wizard and so don't depend on his strength for propulsion.