PDA

View Full Version : D100 gaming systems?

Evard
2010-01-05, 06:11 PM
I got to play a little bit of final fantasy rpg a couple months ago and absolutely loved it, but now i would like to know about other d100 systems.. Does anyone know of any other systems that are d100?

*note* google and ixquick searches came up with horrible results *shiver*

Matthew
2010-01-05, 06:16 PM
RoleMaster, RuneQuest, and WarHammer are all reasonable examples of fantasy adventure games with a major 1d100 component.

Mongoose87
2010-01-05, 06:19 PM
Call of Cthulhu is d100.

AngelOmnipotent
2010-01-05, 06:20 PM
The original Call of Cthulhu is d100, and imho superior for it.

Edit: Ninja :smallsigh:

vanyell
2010-01-05, 06:21 PM
The only ones I have any experience with are Rollmaster, and FATA- no... I can't even type it.

But Rollemaster, if you have a good enough DM it can be amazing. it's incredibly customizable, and there are rules for everything. yes. even that.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-01-05, 06:22 PM
Warhammer 40k Dark Heresy is d100/d10 based. I've only played it once but it was fun.

infinitypanda
2010-01-05, 06:27 PM
There's GORE, which is a retroclone of older RuneQuest editions. Looks kind of fun, but I haven't played it yet.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-05, 06:30 PM
Now wait just a sec, I always thought Rollmaster was d10 based?

FoE
2010-01-05, 06:31 PM
Doesn't FATAL (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FATAL) use d100?

Chaelos
2010-01-05, 06:32 PM
Dark Heresy ranks among the most fun games I've ever played. Highly recommended, if you can get the mood right.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-05, 06:34 PM
Doesn't FATAL use d100?

You, sir, have made an error mentioning that. A fatal error.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-05, 06:36 PM
Doesn't FATAL use d100?
Not so much use as vomit over in an outpouring of filth and evil as the wails of tortured innocents cry out to be freed from such an indescribably vile abomination. :smalleek:
But close enough.:smallbiggrin:

valadil
2010-01-05, 06:39 PM

Rolemaster uses 2d10. One is the tens digit, the other the ones digit. You can also play with 1d100, but nobody does.

MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) is kinda like diet RM. It uses a very similar system, but the complexity is reduced quite a bit.

Matthew
2010-01-05, 06:42 PM

Nope; most rolls are 1d100 in RoleMaster (generated on 2d10).

erikun
2010-01-05, 06:47 PM
Doesn't FATAL (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FATAL) use d100?
FATAL uses pretty much all the dice, not to mention a d1,000,000. Yes, one stats asks you to roll 1d1000000.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-05, 06:48 PM
Nope; most rolls are 1d100 in RoleMaster (generated on 2d10).

Rolemaster uses 2d10. One is the tens digit, the other the ones digit. You can also play with 1d100, but nobody does.

Gooootcha. I played it, once, but had to quit due to being unable to attend sessions. I just never made the connection that 2d10 = d100.

As a joke, a friend of mine bought me a Zocchihedron, so I'm inclined to use it if ever I have the chance to play again.

(And thanks for the spell-edit. :P I thought it looked wonky.)

Dimers
2010-01-05, 08:28 PM
The Fallout and Fallout II computer games are d100-based ... and full of awesome. :smallcool:

Malfunctioned
2010-01-05, 08:50 PM
FATAL uses pretty much all the dice, not to mention a d1,000,000. Yes, one stats asks you to roll 1d1000000.

And FATAL can also give you a character with an.....orifice......that has a greater diameter than your head. I tried to play the system as a joke. I heard the dice screaming.

Salz
2010-01-05, 08:51 PM
Harnmaster by Columbia Games is d100, and the best fantasy system I have ever played. Plus the setting is to die for.

Aces and Eights uses d100 for some good western fun. It also uses a d20 for combat but the d100 is skills. A very good game.

Project_Mayhem
2010-01-05, 08:54 PM
it's incredibly customizable, and there are rules for everything. yes. even that.

Rules for eating ice cream!!?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-05, 08:57 PM
And FATAL can also give you a character with an.....orifice......that has a greater diameter than your head. I tried to play the system as a joke. I heard the dice screaming.

Can't you also have a negative one?

jmbrown
2010-01-05, 08:59 PM
Rules for eating ice cream!!?

Roll a save vs. fortitude or suffer brain freeze.

I'm firm in my belief that not a single person in the world, not even the creators, have ever played a game by RAW. I got up to the race of ogres that eat virgin girls, which happen to be a player character race, and realized I lost an hour of my life that would never come back.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-05, 09:01 PM
I'm firm in my belief that not a single person in the world, not even the creators, have ever played a game by RAW. I got up to the race of ogres that eat virgin girls, which happen to be a player character race, and realized I lost an hour of my life that would never come back.

This sounds like a challenge... :smallamused:

drengnikrafe
2010-01-05, 09:01 PM
Gooootcha. I played it, once, but had to quit due to being unable to attend sessions. I just never made the connection that 2d10 = d100.

2d10 =/= to 1d100. 1d10 + 1d% = 1d100. Umm... Technically. Because 2d10 averages 11, whereas 1d100 averages 50.5.
At least, according to the D&D notation I've become used to.
Although, if you use one as a d%, 2d10 as notation is easier to write...
... I'll shut up now.

As a joke, a friend of mine bought me a Zocchihedron, so I'm inclined to use it if ever I have the chance to play again.

Google-fu told me this "Zocchihedron" is a d100. Thank you for telling me that, by the way. I also have one of them (I still call it the d golf ball), but I use it randomly. Just for the heck of it. Totally worth having in the collection, although it's used marginally less than a d12.

Hunter Noventa
2010-01-05, 09:38 PM
Rifts is sort of d100 based...but it's to gameplay systems what FATAL is to, well, everything, apparently.

noiadodh
2010-01-05, 09:41 PM
Arkanun/Trevas, Medieval/Modern Brazilian horror themed system

Deth Muncher
2010-01-05, 09:47 PM
2d10 =/= to 1d100. 1d10 + 1d% = 1d100. Umm... Technically. Because 2d10 averages 11, whereas 1d100 averages 50.5.
At least, according to the D&D notation I've become used to.
Although, if you use one as a d%, 2d10 as notation is easier to write...
... I'll shut up now.

Google-fu told me this "Zocchihedron" is a d100. Thank you for telling me that, by the way. I also have one of them (I still call it the d golf ball), but I use it randomly. Just for the heck of it. Totally worth having in the collection, although it's used marginally less than a d12.

Yeah, Rolemaster uses 2d10 as d%. And the d100 golfball (or dolfball, if you're as addicted to portmanteau as I am) is a glorious invention.

Dexam
2010-01-05, 09:57 PM

MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) is kinda like diet RM. It uses a very similar system, but the complexity is reduced quite a bit.
There is also HARP (http://www.harphq.com/) (High Adventure Role Playing) by Iron Crown Enterprises, which is the successor to / next edition of Rolemaster. I'm currently playing in a long-running HARP game - the flavouring is remarkably similar to D&D, but the mechanics are quite a bit different.

Harnmaster by Columbia Games is d100, and the best fantasy system I have ever played. Plus the setting is to die for.
I agree whole-heartedly with this sentiment, and you, sir, may have a well deserved "+1". :smallwink: Some of the Harn games I have played have been my most enjoyable.

NPCMook
2010-01-05, 10:02 PM
Eclipse Phase is also a d100 game

jmbrown
2010-01-05, 10:21 PM

Even if I were to bet my life savings you could read the entire thing, it would be your lost. Literally.

infinitypanda
2010-01-05, 10:40 PM

Don't. Not even jokingly.

NPCMook
2010-01-05, 11:08 PM
It is impossible, you'll have that guy show up and force you to homebrew something

dsmiles
2010-01-06, 05:45 AM
The old Marvel Superheroes game was d% based.

GolemsVoice
2010-01-06, 07:48 AM
Harnmaster sounds.... awkward in German. But I googled it, and it sounds fun, if you like that sort of scenario.

Satyr
2010-01-06, 09:20 AM
HârnMaster is pretty awesome, and belongs truly in the category of "the most underappreciatied games ever". It appears a bit bloodthirsty and a hunger for combats like in a D&D game would be suicidal, but the game is just awesome. Except the formate. I wish they would pubish the rules in a book.

And yes, it is sometimes hard to find a group for it in Germany. Noone wants to be the Hârnleiter.

Bagelz
2010-01-06, 10:36 AM
old Big eyes Small Mouth (BeSM)
before the d20 version

Salz
2010-01-06, 01:50 PM
Except the formate. I wish they would pubish the rules in a book.

Really? I love the format. I wish all systems (except my beautiful Aces and Eights leather bound book) were this way. It is so much easier to organize and break up and add stuff to. Just slip in a page here or there. Page protectors and binders are your friend with harn.

HârnMaster is pretty awesome, and belongs truly in the category of "the most underappreciatied games ever".

I agree whole-heartedly with this sentiment, and you, sir, may have a well deserved "+1". Some of the Harn games I have played have been my most enjoyable.

I am just glad there are other fans here. It is my main fantasy system. I find it superior in almost every way. Complex without being impossible or even slow. Hit locations are a big thing for me.

Plus Columbia Games service is the best there is. Period.

Satyr
2010-01-06, 05:23 PM
Really? I love the format. I wish all systems (except my beautiful Aces and Eights leather bound book) were this way. It is so much easier to organize and break up and add stuff to. Just slip in a page here or there. Page protectors and binders are your friend with harn.

In theory, you are right. In praxis, though I prefer a nice hardcover book. Besides, the "books" are way to expensive for an unbound collection of lose pages.
I really like the system, but the format is just not very comfortable.
I am currently running a Harnmaster/Pendragon crossover, using a version of the character trait version of the latter in Harnmaster. It works surprisingly well.

And yes, combat in Harnmaster is pretty much like combat in any RPG is supposed to be: fast, dirty, bloody and full of tension. It is the first game I have ever played where the rules for combats are awesome and terrifying at the same time, and while it is usually not a good idea to start a fight, it just makes fun to play them out.

Salz
2010-01-06, 08:55 PM
In theory, you are right. In praxis, though I prefer a nice hardcover book. Besides, the "books" are way to expensive for an unbound collection of lose pages.
I really like the system, but the format is just not very comfortable.
I am currently running a Harnmaster/Pendragon crossover, using a version of the character trait version of the latter in Harnmaster. It works surprisingly well.

And yes, combat in Harnmaster is pretty much like combat in any RPG is supposed to be: fast, dirty, bloody and full of tension. It is the first game I have ever played where the rules for combats are awesome and terrifying at the same time, and while it is usually not a good idea to start a fight, it just makes fun to play them out.

The basic book isn't bad, only $9.99, but I agree the others should at least come with a binder (and page protectors would be nice). I completely understand where you are coming from though.

I also am fond of the magic rules. Yes magic is very, very powerful but to gain power you must get approved by Master's and what not. Plus it's not like they get a ton of spells off before they become overly fatigued.

Do you play with Harn Religion? If so I would like to ask if you use the casting with Piety add-on rule. We do and I was wondering how it works without it/if other groups like it.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-06, 11:44 PM
Posted by Dexam: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7636465&postcount=28)
Formatting...Some of the Harn games I have played have been my most enjoyable.

Where can I get games made out of ham?
(Underline mine)

Dexam
2010-01-06, 11:50 PM
My apologies - that should have been Hârn. As in, games played in the HârnWorld setting using the HârnMaster rules system.

Satyr
2010-01-07, 03:20 AM
As 'harn' literally meaning urine in German, renaming the game as hamaster would be a large improvement of the naming convention, at least from my perspective.

Do you play with Harn Religion? If so I would like to ask if you use the casting with Piety add-on rule. We do and I was wondering how it works without it/if other groups like it.

No, I don't own the book. I also have never played Harnmaster in the actual setting off the game, but always for historical gaming, mostly because it still works perfectly if you leave anything superntural out of the game. And since historical gaming means real world religions the whole miracles and divine magic wouldn't feel right, no matter how you do it.

I like the magic rules, too. But I prefer games where Player Charakters have no access to magic anyway, so it is pretty much a NPC-only system.

GolemsVoice
2010-01-07, 05:06 AM
For some reason, Germans seem to care more about their books than other nations. All German role-playing books I've ever encountered (and that includes German books for Chaosium's CoC, or remakes of American books) are hardcover, and in the German CoC books at least, the pages look way better, with real photos of objects or places mentioned etc. Don't know why this is so, really.

nyjastul69
2010-01-07, 08:02 AM
Dangerous Journeys: Mythus by GDW is mostly a d% system.

snoopy13a
2010-01-07, 12:14 PM
The old Marvel Superheroes game was d% based.

And it was one of my favorite games.

tristan1333
2014-01-31, 05:26 PM
The first edition of Warhammer roleplay is really good. Very descriptive with the crits ;)

skyth
2014-01-31, 06:30 PM
A couple that were missed are Star Frontiers and Top Secret. The version of Gamma World that I have is mostly d100 based if memory serves.

Other ones that I can think of...

*Master (Role, Space, etc)
Call of Cthulhu
Marvel Super Heros.
I want to say Prime Directive, but likely wrong on that. (Haven't looked at the rules in ages)

Roland St. Jude
2014-01-31, 10:39 PM
Sheriff: I know this is the subforum for old things, but reviving old threads is still not allowed. Please review the Forum Rules on Thread Necromancy.