PDA

View Full Version : {3.X} Dwarf Optimization

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-05, 06:25 PM
I know I seriously just posted a thread on Optimizing, but for the love of one of my twin fave races (Orc and Dwarf, specifically the latter), I feel as if Dwarf gets no love. Maybe its the Cha hit, or mabye its the craptacular weapons (Dwarf Waraxe and Urgosh), or just maybe its the size confusion. It may also be that Gimli of LotR has become the dwarf stereotype. however, dwarf and its dwarfeyness make for a devistating melee monster.

Here's my rules:

ToB Base
Any Book for Feats. No Psionic or Incarnum classes.
Core Dwarf
Must be dwarfey in flavor (ie: a Dwarf Crusader of Moradin who uses a Dwarven Warpike or the Battlesmith with the oversized greathammer)
No "Loophole" tricks
20 Levels

This is to fill the Mr. Damage role in my party, which I have shown several times, but with one change: No wujen or sorcerer. Its now a Cold-Domain Wizard with a celestial smilodon via celestial familair and companion ACFs (DM let Smilodon go)

Eldariel
2010-01-05, 06:31 PM
Eh, obligatory link is obligatory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838).

SparkMandriller
2010-01-05, 06:33 PM
Dwarves are totally underpowered, you should use something else.

And make it a wizard.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-05, 06:35 PM
Dwarves are totally underpowered, you should use something else.

And make it a wizard.

Once again: Dwarves and Orcs get no love. And we NEED a melee guy. We have the wizard, the healer, the tank, the skillmonkey, and the comic relief.

Eldariel
2010-01-05, 06:44 PM
Once again: Dwarves and Orcs get no love. And we NEED a melee guy. We have the wizard, the healer, the tank, the skillmonkey, and the comic relief.

Dwarf Wizards are just fine tho. Dwarf anything is pretty good, honestly. Well, Dwarf Favored Soul isn't amazing, but anything not-Cha-based is fine.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-05, 07:00 PM
Dwarf Wizards are just fine tho. Dwarf anything is pretty good, honestly. Well, Dwarf Favored Soul isn't amazing, but anything not-Cha-based is fine.

but we NEED a melee guy...and wizard's a squishy

Kallisti
2010-01-05, 07:09 PM
If your level 20 wizard is squishy, he's doing something wrong.

That said, I second Fistbeard Beardfist as a good build with some nice comic relief. Even if you don't want to go that far, Drunken Master is a wonderful PrC for a damage-focused dwarf. Or any dwarf. Or anyone damage-focused.

Ah, what the hell. Everyone loves Drunken Master.

Eldariel
2010-01-05, 07:15 PM
but we NEED a melee guy...and wizard's a squishy

I gave you the obligatory link of a very Dwarven melee guy already. Or you could just make a Druid. If you wanna be good at melee. Or a Cleric. Hell, make a Dweomerkeeper of Mystra with few Twice-Betrayer tricks and let the **** really hit the fan.

But honestly, Fistbeard Beardfist is about as Dwarfy Dwarf as a Dwarf can be.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-05, 07:25 PM
Some solid advice here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124509&highlight=Dwarven+Fury+Flurry)
Keld also has a build he referred to as 'dwarven flurry fury' about a year ago. There's a few minor issues in his build, but it makes a very solid dwarven fighter. Deepwarden 2: Con to AC. Pious Templar: Mettle (like evasion for will and fort), Steadfast endurance (con to will saves), EWM (urgrosh craziness). Wish I could find a link to it.

Personmans guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7044115)