PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Paladin, very confused

Ozreth
2010-01-05, 06:42 PM
So a friend and I are preparing for our first 4e game and are running into some issues. Right now we are confused about the Paladin encounter Power Channel Divinity. It says to add your strength modifier as extra damage to your next attack this turn.

Don't you add your strength modifier anyways?

Sir_Elderberry
2010-01-05, 06:44 PM
-Not necessarily. Only if it says so in the power description.
-You get to add it twice.

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-05, 06:45 PM
Not unless the power says it does. A great many don't.

If it does, you can add it again.

Ozreth
2010-01-05, 07:04 PM
Not unless the power says it does. A great many don't.

If it does, you can add it again.

But looking at some of these pre generated characters, their strength modifiers are already added into their attacks....

Dust
2010-01-05, 07:06 PM
Some of the pre-generated characters are a bit...off. Go with the rules as presented in the corebooks.

The above answers have all been correct.

Ozreth
2010-01-05, 07:11 PM
alrighty, i get it, thanks : )

erikun
2010-01-05, 07:12 PM
For most powers, you will be dealing [W] + STR modifier damage, or [W] + CHA modifier damage. For the Paladin At-Wills, both Holy Smite and Valiant Strike deal 1[W]+STR modifier damage, while Bolstering Strike and Enfeebling Strike deal 1[W]+CHA modifier damage.

If you use Divine Strength, you add your Strength modifier to damage, in addition to everything else. So if you use Divine Strength and then hit with Holy Smite, you will be dealing 1[W] + Strength modifier + Strength modifier damage for that one attack. If you are using a longsword (1d8) and have 18 STR (+4 bonus), then you deal 1d8+8 for that one attack.

Divine Strength is, as stated, useable once per encounter.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any pre-generated characters - the PHB has none - so I can't see where the confusion lies.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-01-05, 07:29 PM
Also, the free character builder (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tools.aspx) does the math for you.