PDA

View Full Version : Shifter ideas, anyone?

varto
2010-01-05, 09:09 PM
Basically, the idea of this post is to improve the shifter race because, well, they suck.
Now, iīve been looking around and thereīs people who claims shifters shouldnīt have a -2 Int.
Others claim that the shifts they have are not enougth and that they should be allowed to shift more often because at higher lvls the buff is not that big.
In that way, they should not need so many feats to make them "playable".

So, now itīs up to you, how would you improve the shifter race?

deuxhero
2010-01-05, 09:26 PM
Warshaper?

Boci
2010-01-05, 09:28 PM
Warshaper?

Not legal by RAW but yes making them meet the requirments for that would be good. Personally I'd just at will shifting but make them fatigued after it.

Thurbane
2010-01-05, 09:33 PM
Give them DR/silver that scales with character level?

Boci
2010-01-05, 09:36 PM
Give them DR/silver that scales with character level?

DR: silver is only good if you've got a useful offense. If you've burnt four feats on shifter feats you can still only shift 3 times / day, which may not be enough.

arguskos
2010-01-05, 09:41 PM
Not legal by RAW but yes making them meet the requirments for that would be good. Personally I'd just at will shifting but make them fatigued after it.
Actually, yes, it is legal. Shifters, as per MM3, have the Shapechanger subtype, which is explicitly stated to qualify for Warshaper.

Boci
2010-01-05, 09:44 PM
Actually, yes, it is legal. Shifters, as per MM3, have the Shapechanger subtype, which is explicitly stated to qualify for Warshaper.

Another stelath update in the MMIII? Cool.

arguskos
2010-01-05, 09:46 PM
Another stelath update in the MMIII? Cool.
It's why I use the MM3 not the Eberron Campaign Setting. :smallbiggrin:

d13
2010-01-05, 09:56 PM
Give them DR/silver scaling as a Barbarian's DR, and let their shifting scale as Barbarian Rage (or as Barbarian Rage + Con Mod), but make them fatigued after the shifting?

Zaq
2010-01-05, 10:03 PM
Let them shift more often. Either have it increase with CON mod, with HD, or both, but don't make them burn feats on it. They hardly ever get to use it otherwise, but if you invest a crapton of feats on the (usually lackluster) shifter feats, you don't have enough for anything else.

Boci
2010-01-05, 10:07 PM
Let them shift more often. Either have it increase with CON mod, with HD, or both, but don't make them burn feats on it. They hardly ever get to use it otherwise, but if you invest a crapton of feats on the (usually lackluster) shifter feats, you don't have enough for anything else.

Could roll those into one and give them bonus shifter feats as they gain class levels.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-05, 10:12 PM
Weretouched Master PrC from Races of Eberron?

Zincorium
2010-01-05, 10:21 PM

Nerfed HARD by errata. Not bad, per se, but it's no longer a must-take for melee shifters.

varto
2010-01-06, 02:36 AM
The problem with PrC made for shifters, in my opinion is that a race that needs one to be playable is problematic.
Basically, after choosing the race you donīt have much more options but to follow the path designed for them, picking the feats that improve the shifts till you qualify for the PrC.
What i would like to see is a change that gives you back that freedom to choose dodge or improve toughness at lvl 1 and not feel like you sacrified some vital upgrade.
Of course if i play a melee class i would pick something like warshaper (Now THATīS an improvement!)

ShadowFighter15
2010-01-06, 03:06 AM
There was a house rule posted earlier in the week like this, where he suggested that wherever a rule mentions the number of shifter feats a character has (like to determine the duration and frequency of shifting), you instead count the number of shifter feats plus half of their non-shifter feats. That way, there's still incentive to grab shifter feats (some of which can be pretty nasty with the right build) as well as a constant progression of the ability.

I've started using it in a game I'm running on Myth Weavers, but I can't give any data on it yet since the characters are still first level (and I'm not using flaws so the shifter in the group only has one feat).

mikej
2010-01-06, 03:13 AM

It's in the ECS actually.

Originally Posted by Zincorium
Nerfed HARD by errata. Not bad, per se, but it's no longer a must-take for melee shifters.

100% Agreed.

I just pretend it doesn't exist. There's one in my current group. I didn't want to be a jerk and screw over his character.

Person_Man
2010-01-06, 11:12 AM
Ragewild Fighter (several maneuvers) + Beast Strike (Dragon 355 - add claw and unarmed damage) is pretty excellent for a Shifter Monk/Psychic Warrior using Claws of the Beast and Expansion. Longtooth Elite (1 point of Con damage added to your bite attack) is ok. Mutable Body is great for Shifter Wizards. Shifter Magnetism is one of the few ways to boost Wild Empathy (which works on animals AND magical beasts) and also boosts Intimidate (useful for Fear combos). The Swiftwing trait gives you a fly speed, which is useful if you want to Bull Rush -> Dungeoncrasher your enemy into the floor.

In summary, I think it's an ok race. But it's only good for certain niches.