PDA

View Full Version : Feat/Class the makes one imune to spells

bytbyt
2010-01-05, 10:59 PM
I remeber an offical class and or feat that makes a person immune to spells but at the cost of no longer being able to cast spells can anyone tell me the name of said class/feat and what book its in?

lsfreak
2010-01-05, 11:10 PM
The closest I've heard that matches that are Karsites, a race from Tome of Magic. All human traits, +2Con/Cha, and 10+class levels spell resistance, for a +2LA and the inability to cast spells (but can still use psionics, spell-like abilities, and so on).

Thurbane
2010-01-05, 11:22 PM
Golem?

Not exactly spell immunity, but there is a 2 feat chain (Willing Deformity, Deformity [madness]) that renders you immune to all things mind affecting.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 11:27 PM
Are you sure you're not thinking of computer games? I know Oblivion, for example, has a race that is resistant to magic but less able to use it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-05, 11:47 PM
Short answer: play a wizard.

Serpentine
2010-01-05, 11:52 PM
Short answer: play a wizard....
I'm guessing you didn't notice the bit that said "at the cost of casting spells"...

Thames
2010-01-05, 11:56 PM
I seem to remember a paladin alternate progression that traded their spells for spell resistance - inquisitors? I can't remember exactly and it may have been 2ed.

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-06, 12:16 AM
The Rakshasa monster class progression in Savage Species gives immunity to all spells below level 8 at level 14. The 7HD it gives you count for sorcerer levels so it would be silly to not cast spells, but you could play a purely martial character from it. This is the the most magic immune thing I can think of that might be playable (and it is incredibly annoying for a caster to fight).

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-06, 12:49 AM
I'm guessing you didn't notice the bit that said "at the cost of casting spells"...

Well, assuming all the permanent precautions are in place, just roll a 1 when you try to disjunct an artifact. Sometimes I fail to read everything, so, yeah.

Honestly, though, OP, it sounds like you're describing the Forsaker PrC from Masters of the Wild. Give up magic (and magic items) in exchange for... well, stacking SR and some very, very minor class features. Also, no magic items EVAR.

deuxhero
2010-01-06, 12:50 AM
The Rakshasa monster class progression in Savage Species gives immunity to all spells below level 8 at level 14. The 7HD it gives you count for sorcerer levels so it would be silly to not cast spells, but you could play a purely martial character from it. This is the the most magic immune thing I can think of that might be playable (and it is incredibly annoying for a caster to fight).

Is this golem style "infinate spell resistance" or some other method? Because Wizards have tons of methods to avoid SR.

Nothing stop conjuration from hurting him indirectly as well.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-06, 01:12 AM
Is this golem style "infinate spell resistance" or some other method? Because Wizards have tons of methods to avoid SR.

Nothing stop conjuration from hurting him indirectly as well.

Savage Species is 3.0, so it uses the 3.0 version of Magic Immunity--if it's a spell or SLA, you're not affected, period. While the golems had their "immunity" changed in the 3.5 update, and the rakshasa was slightly changed, the class itself remains the same; the DM might want to change it, but it's still technically legal.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-06, 02:10 AM
There was a 3.0 PrC... like Ravager or something. Got SR, ability to bypass DR/magic, and a couple other goodies, but had to destroy magic items for it to continue to function, and could never willingly allow ANY spell (not even beneficial ones) to be cast on you, or use magic in any way.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-06, 03:18 AM
There was a 3.0 PrC... like Ravager or something. Got SR, ability to bypass DR/magic, and a couple other goodies, but had to destroy magic items for it to continue to function, and could never willingly allow ANY spell (not even beneficial ones) to be cast on you, or use magic in any way.Quick reading comprehension check!

You pretty much have to go into homebrew realms for what the OP wants. DnD aint that balanced when it comes to shrugging off magic.

Roderick_BR
2010-01-06, 03:41 AM
Forsaken, Masters of the Wild, 3.0
I think there's a new one in 3.5 that is similar but doesn't mutilate you too much. Forsaken doesn't allow you to use any magic item, ever, including magic healing, and there's a stupid requeriment to destroy magic items every week, or you lose your spell resistance and the ability to hurt things vulnerable only to magic weapons. "Yay, I didn't find any magic itens to destroy in months, but I'm going to face this wizard vampire without any class feature that allows me to actually fight it."
It's sorta like a Vow of Poverty (only about magic itens) as a PrC.

mcl01
2010-01-06, 08:47 AM
While not perfect immunity, you could instead make yourself effectively immune to most spells.

Pump up your saves like crazy (divine grace, Cloaks of resistance, etc.) + Mettle + Evasion. Maybe throw in some luck feats to allow yourself to reroll saves.

Though this does still leave you open to spells that don't allow saves. Mostly rays.

Soranar
2010-01-06, 09:02 AM
combine insane saves with the arcanopath monk and you're pretty hard to kill via magic since you can deflect ray and missiles with your hands

once you reach 9th level you even throw them back at the sender...

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-06, 09:03 AM
Incarnate 16 gives you blanket Immunity to 4 spells of 6th level or lower of your choice every 24 hours, and the highest possible SR this side of Spellcasters. That's the best I got.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-06, 09:06 AM
combine insane saves with the arcanopath monk and you're pretty hard to kill via magic since you can deflect ray and missiles with your hands

once you reach 9th level you even throw them back at the sender...

Still does nothing against a good Mind Crush.

Optimystik
2010-01-06, 09:07 AM
Doesn't Forsaker still work with Incarnum? Do soulmelds count as magic items? I'm not versed enough in Incarnum to be sure.

Soranar
2010-01-06, 09:16 AM

what's that spell? Is it core because I can't find it anywhere

Optimystik
2010-01-06, 09:19 AM
what's that spell? Is it core because I can't find it anywhere

Judging from his avatar and incessant use of phrases like "super special awesome," I'd say it's a Yu-Gi-Oh! reference.

Soranar
2010-01-06, 09:24 AM
my first clue should have been "troll in the playground"

Xenogears
2010-01-06, 09:28 AM

Mind Crush is lame. I liked the early manga and his soul crush.

Person_Man
2010-01-06, 10:11 AM
Doesn't Forsaker still work with Incarnum? Do soulmelds count as magic items? I'm not versed enough in Incarnum to be sure.

When you shape a soulmeld, a floating blue object created from your soul energy appears above the appropriate chakra slot. When you bind it to your chakra slot, it physically melds to your body like a magic item, and prevents you from using magic items for that slot. There is also soulmeld/magic transparency. Soulmelds can be dispelled by Dispel Magic, and are effected by SR, and have the same stacking rules as magic. So I would say that Forsaker and Incarnum do not work together.

But I'd have to look at the exact wording to be sure. Sinfire would know this better then I. I don't think MoI ever explicitly says "chakra binds count as magic items in the same slot." I think it says "chakra binds prevent you from using magic items in the same slot." So it might be a RAI vs RAW issue.

Having said that, I think the idea of the Forsaken PrC is a good one. If you took out the stupid magic item destruction requirement and buffed the SR and other abilities, it'd be a good class. I'll have to homebrew something.