PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt idea?

gallagher
2010-01-06, 12:36 AM
does the cleric/monk build work well without divine metamagic feats? high wisdom, cha, and dex i think would just pump this class to new levels (pun totally intended)

also what races would work well with this? i was thinking halfling for the size and dex bonus.

i would go 16 wisdom, 14 dex (put to 16 from halfling), 14 con, 14 cha, 12 int 10 str (moved to 8 form halfling.)

also, i think that goes to a 32 point buy. my math could be off

Zincorium
2010-01-06, 12:43 AM
Traditional monk suggestion: can you use swordsage instead?

Anyway, that's more or less fine. Cleric gets righteous might and divine power, which makes the monk 100% better. Good saves, faster speed than the typical cleric.

Not as good as druid//monk, though.

deuxhero
2010-01-06, 12:44 AM
Small size is generally bad for a monk. That said what do you have access to? a //Unarmed Swordsage or //Monk 2/psy warrior with that tasha-something or other feat I can't spell would be better outside of core.

Seeing as how you can't wear armor anyways, and Monk alreddy gives you medium BAB, go cloistered on the cleric side for extra skill points and class skills and pick up the Kobold domain so you can trapfind. Cloistered Cleric is SRD and Kobold Domain (see if you can get your DM to have a non-kobold deity grant it, it isn't exactly racially based) is something WoTC put online for free (and BG is down so I lack the handy directory to such stuff) so acess isn't a big issue here.

Temotei
2010-01-06, 01:18 AM
Why is Strength your dump stat?

If anything, with a cleric//monk, make Intelligence your dump. Unless you're playing a cloistered cleric. Then you might want enough Intelligence to get all the Knowledge skills. Then take Knowledge Devotion. :smallamused:

Duke of URL
2010-01-06, 10:01 AM
Traditional monk suggestion: can you use swordsage instead?

In gestalt, Monk might be as useful, if not more so, than Swordsage, depending on how the build is defined. If you're primarily using the other side of the gestalt for your active abilities (especially spellcasting), Swordsage gets you little benefit, unless you focus on swift action maneuvers.

Monk, on the other hand, has a pretty good set of passive abilities, which work better in gestalt than they do in regular play. If using Monk styles,a good style choice can pick up some pretty useful feats as well.

Also, if using Monk primarily for its passive abilities, small size isn't really a problem, nor is dumping Strength.

Xenogears
2010-01-06, 10:26 AM
Small size is generally bad for a monk. That said what do you have access to? a //Unarmed Swordsage or //Monk 2/psy warrior with that tasha-something or other feat I can't spell would be better outside of core.

Seeing as how you can't wear armor anyways, and Monk alreddy gives you medium BAB, go cloistered on the cleric side for extra skill points and class skills and pick up the Kobold domain so you can trapfind. Cloistered Cleric is SRD and Kobold Domain (see if you can get your DM to have a non-kobold deity grant it, it isn't exactly racially based) is something WoTC put online for free (and BG is down so I lack the handy directory to such stuff) so acess isn't a big issue here.

Tashalatora monk wouldn't be very good as full cleric casting is better than Psychic Warrior/Psion casting.

Edit: What alignment would this character be?

Everyman
2010-01-06, 10:32 AM
In gestalt, Monk might be as useful, if not more so, than Swordsage, depending on how the build is defined. If you're primarily using the other side of the gestalt for your active abilities (especially spellcasting), Swordsage gets you little benefit, unless you focus on swift action maneuvers.

Monk, on the other hand, has a pretty good set of passive abilities, which work better in gestalt than they do in regular play. If using Monk styles,a good style choice can pick up some pretty useful feats as well.

Also, if using Monk primarily for its passive abilities, small size isn't really a problem, nor is dumping Strength.

I concur with the good Duke here. When I ran a gestalt campaign last year, it was the monk gestalt character who gave me the most headaches when planning challenging encounters. Since action economy is key to making a great gestalt character, a monk's load of passive bonuses and abilities makes it a great choice for any building relying on action-intensitive abilities and Wisdom.

A Cloistered Cleric//Monk would be a beast, in my opinion. You could even dump Str (as you've indicated) and bolster into a combat-role (if needed) using Divine Favor and whatnot.

Xenogears
2010-01-06, 10:35 AM
If you don't mind the alignment restrictions and Dragon Compendium is allowed you could dip two levels of Paladin on the Monk side and take the Serenity feat to get Wis to Saves as well.

dspeyer
2010-01-06, 11:50 AM
Is this meant for melee? If so, I think you have damage problems. Small size and no strength means your hits just don't hurt, so what's the point?

If you're intending this as a casting-focused cleric with monk defenses, go for it, but probably increase the wisdom.

Otherwise, you need a damage source. Swordsage is the obvious choice. Picking up sneak attack or similar is also viable. Or just get a much higher strength.

gallagher
2010-01-06, 11:56 AM
for he who asked, this is a LN char. and it is mostly flavor, as i have seen in history classes that priests and other holy men were more like monks in a traditional sense, except for the corrupt gold-laden catholic priests.

gregorian monks are especially monk-y.... heh, monkey.

but outside of flavor, it is also a very good support idea i think. full cleric is already a great option, and pick up the ability to get anywhere thanks to monk speed, full saves thanks to monk saves, wisdom which is a main stat for both classes, and all the other good defense abilities from being a monk. i could potentially get into a battle to heal someone and get back out

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-06, 11:58 AM
There's also a Halfling Feat that adds WIS to initiative.

I also suggest Strongheart Halfling as the Race or Buoman with that silent casting feat.

Then, at 2 & 7, take the Halfling Monk sub level.

Be of St. Culthbert and focus on Negative Energy, then imbue your UaS with Wound spells.

Monkey Steals the Peach anyone?