PDA

View Full Version : Question: combat mechanics

Mr White
2010-01-06, 05:18 AM
Apology #1: this may not be the right place to post this but it's at least the best I found which allowed me to post.

Apology #2: I'm not a native English speaker so certain terms may not be correct but just bear with me.

Question:

I'm a 'leader' in my local youth organisation (like the boy scouts but less 'be prepared' and more 'let's just have fun') and I'm planning some indoor activities. One of which would be a home made (and simple) RPG. I've started on this enthousiastically but I'm experiencing a lot of problems with even the simplest game mechanic such as for melee combat.

Could anybody help me on the right track with this? I'm thinking in the lines of Strenght, Agility/dexterity and weapon handling.

All help will be much appreciated.

factotum
2010-01-06, 08:18 AM
You could always just use the d20 system--that's been released as an SRD precisely so people can create their own games with it.

Zovc
2010-01-06, 10:09 AM
Think of things like what dice you want to use, first of all.

Do you want to use one die for everything, or many different dice? For example, if you have a thing for the d12 like I do, you can build a system around it.

Is a high number good or bad? I find that higher = better is the most intuitive system, but most older games tend to have high = bad.

Example, Your weapon has an accuracy of 4. Does that mean you need to roll more than a four to hit with it or less? Do you hit on a 4?

In GET TO THE CHOPPER!!! (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35635/get-to-the-chopper), rolling a 4, 5, or 6 (on a d6) with such a weapon would be a hit (unless your opponent was camoflauged, where one take a -1 to their rolls).

Do you want to roll for damage, or do you want it to be constant?

Zincorium
2010-01-06, 10:34 AM
The more randomness, the more unintuitive events will occur, such as a small child outwrestling a dinosaur. Using more dice or higher modifiers relative to the side of the dice will decrease randomness.

So the first step is deciding what you want the randomness level to be. 3D6, the old ability score standby in D&D, produces a nice bell curve but the number range is close to a d20 roll. Plus, rolling lots of dice is pretty fun in and of itself, and d6s are a good choice because they can be salvaged from many boardgames.

If the kids are fairly young, less than 12 or so, consider keeping the list of modifiers short and the effects small. Realism takes a backseat to just being able to play.