PDA

View Full Version : Mary Poppins

Lioness
2010-01-06, 08:44 AM
It came up in game the other day, that Mary Poppins has a bag of holding, teleportation, fly, and very possibly an umbrella of feather fall.

Anything else amusing you can think of for her?

paddyfool
2010-01-06, 08:50 AM
Hm. Limited repertoire of magical tricks that she doesn't think much of; lots of smarts; lots of social skills; sings.

Mary Poppins has to be either a Factotum or a Bard. Probably the former, because the latter doesn't get Fly and Teleport without prestige classes.

Duke of URL
2010-01-06, 08:53 AM
She could also be a Warlock focused on social skills.

paddyfool
2010-01-06, 08:55 AM
I like that - Dark Poppins. Can't exactly see her as the type to sell her soul, though.

Duke of URL
2010-01-06, 08:57 AM
She's Fey, not Fiendish.

Telonius
2010-01-06, 09:42 AM
Leadership feat. Cohort: Commoner X/Bard1, Bardic Knack, max ranks in Profession (Chimney Sweep).

Iku Rex
2010-01-06, 09:47 AM
I like that - Dark Poppins. Can't exactly see her as the type to sell her soul, though.Scary Mary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic)

Comet
2010-01-06, 09:51 AM
When I first saw that movie, I instantly thought that Mary is some kind of wizard-fixer that travels through unknown worlds solving different problems with her neat tricks and her extensive network of supernatural and mundane contacts.
So yeah, you're right on the money with this, Lioness.

Lioness
2010-01-07, 03:44 AM
And she's probably got some sort of Mage hand, or greater Mage Hand, if such a thing exists.

If only I could clean up a room as fast as her

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-07, 05:58 AM
And she's probably got some sort of Mage hand, or greater Mage Hand, if such a thing exists.

If only I could clean up a room as fast as her

Prestidigitation is a mere cantrip... and Unseen Servant is a 1st level spell.

Honestly? Probably high-end sorcerer or maybe Bard/Sublime Chord.

She's got Plane Shift, for crying out loud...

paddyfool
2010-01-07, 06:04 AM
Whatever the class, all three mental stats should be pretty high. Also, I'd like to add the Polymorph line of spells to the stuff she's seen using (in the Uncle Arthur scene).

Roderick_BR
2010-01-07, 07:15 AM
Hm. Limited repertoire of magical tricks that she doesn't think much of; lots of smarts; lots of social skills; sings.

Mary Poppins has to be either a Factotum or a Bard. Probably the former, because the latter doesn't get Fly and Teleport without prestige classes.
I do remember that she flies only with the umbrella, so it may be a magic item. Don't remember about the teleport, though.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-07, 07:28 AM
I'd have to check their spell list, but I think of her as a Beguiler. She certainly seems... enchanting...

Lioness
2010-01-07, 07:36 AM
I do remember that she flies only with the umbrella, so it may be a magic item. Don't remember about the teleport, though.

Unless she teleports to a random sky point and then uses it as an Umbrella of Feather Fall.

Or perhaps it's just a prop, and she has a ring of feather fall instead.

Telonius
2010-01-07, 10:43 AM
The umbrella is an intelligent magical item, too. It talks to her in the last scene.

Keshay
2010-01-07, 11:07 AM
I'm thinking the Umbrella was an item familiar, wherein Mary had placed the flight abilities.

Whatever she is, she'd be a pretty powerful magic user by D&D standards.

Ichneumon
2010-01-07, 11:50 AM
How do we know she is human? She might be a fey... could explain how she get all those powers.

Draz74
2010-01-07, 12:55 PM
How do we know she is human? She might be a fey... could explain how she get all those powers.

QFT. She's the freakin' Spirit of the East Wind, after all. You don't get much more Fey than that (or Elemental, but I just don't see her as an Air Elemental. Fey fits much better.)

Whatever the class, all three mental stats should be pretty high.

Well duh, she is "practically perfect in every way."

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-01-07, 02:56 PM
SNAP! The job's a game! (http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/311)

Zom B
2010-01-07, 03:09 PM
Leadership feat. Cohort: Commoner X/Bard1, Bardic Knack, max ranks in Profession (Chimney Sweep).

Who, unfortunately, forgot to put any ranks in Perform (Cockney Accent).

Stegyre
2010-01-07, 03:14 PM
Who, unfortunately, forgot to put any ranks in Perform (Cockney Accent).
Thank goodness for that: the U.S. audience would have required subtitles if the real thing had been used.:smalleek:

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:54 PM
Lioness, this thread should really be part of your siggy. :P

Lioness
2010-01-07, 03:59 PM
Lioness, this thread should really be part of your siggy. :P

I should, this is really interesting to read.

And I'm watching Mary Poppins again sometime, to just sit there and stat her out.
Not for a week though :(

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-07, 04:02 PM

Just because she has the Fay type does not mean that she does not also have a lot of Bard and Sublime Chord levels...

Signmaker
2010-01-07, 04:47 PM
She's a conjurer/illusionist/transmuter, duh.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2010-01-07, 04:51 PM
Mary Poppins is an epic level Warlock with levels in Hellfire Warlock and a 6 level run in Bard. You think she's some nanny who's practically perfect in every way, but in reality she's a devil worshipping, baby sacrificing, nightmare that even Freddy was afraid of.
BEWARE! Here there be chimney sweeps!

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 04:53 PM
BEWARE! Here there be chimney sweeps!

Confound it now I wanna stat out her chimney sweep minions!!!! :smallfurious:

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-07, 05:08 PM
Willing to blow away a dozen other applicant nannys just to ensure she got the job.

Chaotic Evil Air Elemental Warlock seems to fit pretty well.

Thurbane
2010-01-07, 05:10 PM
I'm going to agree with Warlock, possibly with the Enlightened Spirit PrC. Maybe with some freaky template(s).

...or a Gestalt Warlock/Enlightened Spirit//Binder. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-01-07, 05:11 PM
For the regular sweep followers, it's pretty clear that they have Ranks in Perform (song), Perform (dance), and Profession (Chimney Sweep), Climb, and Balance. I'd really hesitate to call these guys Experts, but either that or they're Commoners with INT 14.

Other things Mary's able to cast:
Crushing Despair (to Uncle Albert)
either Overland Flight or Animate Objects (carousel scene)
Speak with Animals (penguins) - unless those are Awakened or Anthropomorphic.

Coidzor
2010-01-07, 05:11 PM
Scary Mary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic)

First thing I thought of, myself.

...Always thought she flew using her umbrella rather than her bag though. Silly me.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-07, 05:18 PM
Scary Mary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic)

Ladies and Gentlemen we have just discovered Tim Burton's next childhood classics remake.

Lioness
2010-01-07, 05:34 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen we have just discovered Tim Burton's next childhood classics remake.

I would pay to see that

1000 times

Signmaker
2010-01-07, 05:47 PM
For the regular sweep followers, it's pretty clear that they have Ranks in Perform (song), Perform (dance), and Profession (Chimney Sweep), Climb, and Balance. I'd really hesitate to call these guys Experts, but either that or they're Commoners with INT 14.

Don't forget her ranks in Ride.

Lioness
2010-01-07, 05:59 PM
Power word: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Maybe a +2 to handle animal checks involving small children.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 06:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

We gotta take this into account somehow:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/37754/saturday-night-live-mary-poppins

Mystic Muse
2010-01-08, 02:06 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

We gotta take this into account somehow:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/37754/saturday-night-live-mary-poppins

Cancer mage?

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-08, 02:09 AM
Hahahah, no, I severely doubt Mary Poppins is a CancerMancer.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-08, 02:16 AM
that's exactly what she wants you to think.:smalleek:

Coidzor
2010-01-08, 02:27 AM
Power word: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?

Maybe a +2 to handle animal checks involving small children.

snark snark snark.

Draz74
2010-01-08, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I'm going to say D&D rules just aren't going to be able to handle these guys; the Commoner class is clearly appropriate fluff-wise but is just too darn weak.

Good call.

Hmmm, I'd definitely call this a refluffed Phantom Steed. (Or even Shadow Conjuration duplicating Phantom Steed? Especially considering they were on the cartoon "plane" at the time ...) Animate Objects could work too, though. Definitely not Overland Flight, for several reasons.

They are. But I still wouldn't doubt that she has Speak with Animals. That bird that lands on her hand and sings back at her during "Spoonful of Sugar," for example.

Coidzor
2010-01-08, 01:42 PM
Or she just has a Su ability to give any of her minions/followers/mindthralls skill ranks in Perform...

Draz74
2010-01-08, 01:49 PM
Or she just has a Su ability to give any of her minions/followers/mindthralls skill ranks in Perform...

So she has a level in Marshal with the Motivate Charisma aura? That would make sense.

Keshay
2010-01-08, 08:55 PM

Oddly, I think the original would lend itself quite nicely to a Tim Burton remake. Without any creepiness. Well, without any extra creepiness.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-08, 09:39 PM
People, your all missing the REAL question. How do we stop her? :smalleek:

Eldariel
2010-01-08, 09:53 PM
People, your all missing the REAL question. How do we stop her? :smalleek:

She can't be that much more powerful than a God. Gods have been killed before. I think same principles apply.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-08, 10:17 PM
But currently she has no stats. You can't kill something that has no stats!:eek:

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-08, 10:24 PM
Spirit of the winds, you say?

Air weird.

Zaq
2010-01-08, 10:27 PM
Spirit of the winds, you say?

Air weird.

Air Weird who has used Spurn the Supernatural to get rid of the crippling Elemental Pool dependency.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-09, 02:40 AM
But currently she has no stats. You can't kill something that has no stats!:eek:

Str 10
Dex 17 <Dancing Skills
Con 15 <Just in case she falls down
Int 20+ <Ho knows grammar fo sho
Wis 20+ <Sense Motive(Small Children) needs to be high, and Insight if we do this 4e.
Cha 25+ <Singing monstrosity that threatens our existence. Her highest stat.

Are these sinister enough? Or do they not give us challenge enough?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-09, 05:04 AM
Str 10
Dex 17 <Dancing Skills
Con 15 <Just in case she falls down
Int 20+ <Ho knows grammar fo sho
Wis 20+ <Sense Motive(Small Children) needs to be high, and Insight if we do this 4e.
Cha 25+ <Singing monstrosity that threatens our existence. Her highest stat.

Are these sinister enough? Or do they not give us challenge enough?

There a start. Add in the +5 Inherent bonus to each, the +6 Item each (or Belt of Magnificence) and the bonuses for going up every 4 levels and we have the makings of Ms. Poppins.

Of course when you have Epic Level Skill ranks, the Stats aren't really that important.

Also: Mass Cloudwalking (chimney smoke staircase), Speak Language (Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious), Levitate, a Level of Druid (for the Terrier Animal Companion), Suggestion At-Will (Especially potent on moustachio'd bankers), Scrying (snowglobe for a Focus). That's all I got.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-09, 05:27 PM
Okay, so we need to agree on this right now:

Are we going classic Mary Poppins or BBEG Scary Mary here?

Nerocite
2010-01-09, 05:46 PM

Why not both, and have them duke it out?

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-09, 06:03 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vXnjsNX3hQc/SxL3FXxnT_I/AAAAAAAACNc/hN1hhAJQlBc/s400/Guiness-Brilliant!.jpg

paddyfool
2010-01-09, 08:17 PM
And there was I hoping to make a Mary Poppins vs Cat In The Hat vs thread out of this...

The Tygre
2010-01-09, 09:08 PM
Clearly a wandering Celestial. She converted her wings into an umbrella for conspicuousy's sake.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-11, 02:37 AM
Hm... Okay so identical ability scores. Neutral Good vs Neutral Evil, yesh?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 06:35 AM

Those are one and the same.

Okay, we need a build to stop her, as I don't even think Pun Pun stands a chance. I'm thinking some sort of planet cracking cannon that can be fired from one dimension into another. It most be mobile though...

Lioness
2010-01-11, 06:44 AM
Hm... Okay so identical ability scores. Neutral Good vs Neutral Evil, yesh?

Perhaps...I'm not sure she's neutral good though.

Though she's sort of like a mercenary, but actually caring for people.

And a mercenery would probably be neutral evil.

Ok, I can see that working.

I'm not sure that there would be a difference in stats and abilities, just the way she utilises them.

Loxagn
2010-03-12, 01:08 PM
It's quite easy, actually. Mary Poppins has the exact same stats as the Lady of Pain.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-12, 01:11 PM
Air Weird who has used Spurn the Supernatural to get rid of the crippling Elemental Pool dependency.Not if she's using astral projection and leaving her body behind.