PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a flying character. [3.5]

Talfrey
2010-01-06, 10:17 AM
So I've come up with a rather unique design for a character which the DM loves etc. Basically it's a flying fella. A fast one.

The unfortunate thing is I'm having trouble with getting him up in the air as it were. The DM requires everything be in the rules, even if the flavor has to be fudged because he doesn't trust anything homebrew or external (He had a truly epic idiot play a 3rd party class that was... well... I'm sure you are already thinking of an example of what I'm talking about)

My problem is as follows.

-I don't want him to fly "naturally" meaning wings. I mean I can probably convince the DM to fudge over the "winged" template to have it be wingless but I don't particularly like that one anyway because of the Dex = Speed thing. I want something considerably faster.

-The DM said he'd allow templates with LA

-The character isn't a wizard/sorcerer

-He's fast Very fast. I want 100+ speed with hopes of 200+ although that's unlikely.

Other than that it's just a matter of finding the rules to allow the character to work. Fluff can be fudged.

Any advice of how to go about building this guy?

Thanks in Advance!

-Talfrey

Aharon
2010-01-06, 10:32 AM
Are you ok with other caster types?
Easiest way I can think of away from books would be a bunch of persistent spells. I think there isn't any class that gets them all, so you would probably have to be an artificer using this method:
Swift Fly (for base 60 ft.)
A spell from Races of the Wild that adds to your maneuverability and, I think, flight speed.
Swift Haste (for a 30 ft. enhancement bonus)
A spell from Spell Compendium which only works on creatures who have natural flight that adds another 20 or so ft.
Obviously, you would have to take a winged race and wing the fluff to get more than 90 ft. speed with these methods.

I'm sure there are better ones, but that's the best I can come up with AFB.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-06, 10:34 AM
Warlock, with lots of speed increases.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-06, 10:47 AM
Is it me, or is this now a Dragonball Z character? And if you do do it based on spells...his buff rounds are the time spent yelling and flexing muscles before you start the fight...hang on, were all the DBZ characters just gishes?

Master_Rahl22
2010-01-06, 11:36 AM
Fiend Folio has the Feathered Wings graft that let you fly at twice your normal land speed with average maneuverability. Combine this with normal ways to increase your speed like the Quick trait, be a Xeph, take a level in Barbarian, Boots of Striding and Springing, and voila you fly really fast without being a caster. In the above example, your walk speed would be 60ft, with the occasional Xeph burst increasing that to a possible 90ft if you're high enough level. This translates to 120ft or 180ft fly speed.

Xenogears
2010-01-06, 11:38 AM
Fiend Folio has the Feathered Wings graft that let you fly at twice your normal land speed with average maneuverability. Combine this with normal ways to increase your speed like the Quick trait, be a Xeph, take a level in Barbarian, Boots of Striding and Springing, and voila you fly really fast without being a caster. In the above example, your walk speed would be 60ft, with the occasional Xeph burst increasing that to a possible 90ft if you're high enough level. This translates to 120ft or 180ft fly speed.

I was gonna suggest that but the OP asked for non-winged. I just can't make myself re-fluff getting wings sewn onto your backs into non-winged flight.

Xefas
2010-01-06, 11:43 AM
Is it me, or is this now a Dragonball Z character? And if you do do it based on spells...his buff rounds are the time spent yelling and flexing muscles before you start the fight...hang on, were all the DBZ characters just gishes?

Gishes nothing. Favored Soul all the way. Super Saiyan = Persistent Divine Power.

Talfrey
2010-01-06, 12:08 PM
I was gonna suggest that but the OP asked for non-winged. I just can't make myself re-fluff getting wings sewn onto your backs into non-winged flight.

Actually the DM just approved it.

"Flight Glands"

So what's some more good ways to crank up my speed?

paddyfool
2010-01-06, 12:14 PM
There's an Eberron prestige class called "Sky Mage of Sharn" or something similar with lots of boosts for flying characteres. I was going to suggest becoming a cleric with the travel domain and entering it that way, but you may not need to now...

ericgrau
2010-01-06, 12:33 PM
Boots of speed, wings of flying. That gives 90 feet and the boots are a great melee item in general for the haste. There are cheaper but less effective items at lower levels. One affordable option is a flying mount (see monster manual).

At level 14+ you can beg the party wizard to simply give you a mount that can air walk (actually run) up to 680 feet in the air before falling, with a redonkulous movement speed of 240 feet. It's called phantom steed, and it merely take a 3rd level spell slot each day.

Prime32
2010-01-06, 12:36 PM
Dragonfire adept gets a flight invocation superior to the warlock's.

Wyrmling mercury dragons have a fly speed of 200ft (good).

The shadow creature template increases your speed for all movement modes by 50%.

The white dragonspawn template is from Dragonlance and pretty overpowerd, but it grants a fly speed equal to double your land speed. Half-celestial does this too, but the LA isn't worth it. Half-dragon does it, but there's a cap, you have to be Large, and it also has an LA. A Half-fiend's is only equal to their land speed for some reason.

The phoenix cloak item from Magic Item Compendium grants a fly speed equal to your land speed with perfect manoueverability, if you have some way to run fast.

jokey665
2010-01-06, 12:40 PM
Air Elemental Creature (Manual of the Planes)

LA +4
Fly 100' (perfect)
Flyby attack for free
Immune to sleep, paralyze, stun, CRITS
DR/magic as you gain HD
darkvision
+6 dex

The problem is that it can't be applied to humanoids, but it can be applied to aberrations, so Elan is an option as are any other aberrant PC races, if there are any.

2xMachina
2010-01-06, 12:50 PM
Dark template for +10 base speed. +1LA I think.

Pretty much all the shadow templates add speed. Something about being made partially of shadow, thus lighter, thus faster.

Prime32
2010-01-06, 12:58 PM
Pretty much all the shadow templates add speed. Something about being made partially of shadow, thus lighter, thus faster.And make sure to dress in red, to get every last drop of speed.

Samb
2010-01-06, 01:10 PM
Speed of thought and freedom mantle both give +10 speed each.

The astral plane gives "flying" to everyone, not too sure about the rules on speed though.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-06, 01:15 PM
Be a Catfolk Monk. You get r-tarded amounts of speed+.

Draz74
2010-01-06, 01:18 PM
Anybody who flies "racially" can take a feat (Air Heritage, from Planar Handbook) for +30 speed.

Talfrey
2010-01-06, 01:31 PM
Catfolk you say?

Any other ECL 0 races with movement speed bonuses?

Deth Muncher
2010-01-06, 01:34 PM
Catfolk you say?

Catfolk say I do. I don't know of any +0 races w/ movement bonuses, but Catfolk are all of...what, +1? Not toobad. Just watch out if your character is female - they have a tendency to die when trying to comprehend real world maths.

JeenLeen
2010-01-06, 04:18 PM
Could you have Raptoran refluffled to be wingless but just flying? They fly and are LA 0, although they don't get full flight until a certain HD. Also, I believe their flight is Ex, not Su, which has some plusses.

Not sure if that would work with any movement speed ideas, though.

Xenogears
2010-01-06, 04:22 PM
Catfolk you say?

Nezumi. Rat folk from Oriental Adventures have a 40ft base speed.

Ernir
2010-01-06, 07:25 PM
Take the Quick trait from Unearthed Arcana.