PDA

View Full Version : Storm Shield (3.5 sorc/wiz) P.E.A.C.H.

Caldarin
2010-01-06, 10:45 AM
Storm Shield-
Evocation/Abjuration
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute/level* (see spell description)
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: No
With a wave of your hand, you surround yourself with a crackling shield of electrical and sonic energy, absorbing attacks and lashing out at those trying to strike you.

Storm Shield surrounds the caster with a shield of electric and sonic energy. In addition to granting the caster Resistance 20 against lightning and sonic damage, it also grants DR 10/- (absorbing 10 points of damage/level up to a maximum of 150). Once the DR runs out, the spell ends. The spell also backlashes against anyone striking the caster, dealing 2d6 lightning and 2d6 sonic damage to the attacker. A successful reflex save negates the lightning damage.

I'm not too sure what level this should be, but I figure 7th works since it's kinda the combination of 2 level 4 spells (stoneskin and fireshield) into one standard action. Lemme know what you all think

Milskidasith
2010-01-06, 01:01 PM
This is horribly weak for a seventh level spell. Maybe 5th level.

Combining a 2nd and a 4th level spell doesn't get you a seventh level spell, because spell levels aren't linear. They're exponential. You don't add them together to get a higher spell level.

This could *maybe* be worth a sixth level slot, but... it's really not that useful, because even at a fifth level spell slot the backlash damage is entirely minimal, the DR doesn't stop heavy hitters, and the resistance can be better done with energy immunity.

Caldarin
2010-01-06, 03:41 PM
Well I guess that's good news then- I was thinking this might have been a bit too powerful for a 7th level... I'll drop the level- how's the overall concept though?

Latronis
2010-01-06, 09:06 PM
It's pretty crap actually. Not the concept. Using a storm to protect yourself is all fine and dandy but mechanically it's not worth it.

Even as a 5th level spell one good hit is gunna drop the spell removing your elemental resists so you're likely to absorb not even one whole blow for a one lash of damage. Do you really think 4d6 damage is worth a 5th level spell slot?

And there are better options for resisting the storm damage that are not dependant on someone not smacking you in the face.

Whoops absorption scales my bad. In that case it's probably fine as 5th level.

Temotei
2010-01-06, 09:09 PM
This is horribly weak for a seventh level spell. Maybe 5th level.

Combining a 2nd and a 4th level spell doesn't get you a seventh level spell, because spell levels aren't linear. They're exponential. You don't add them together to get a higher spell level.

This could *maybe* be worth a sixth level slot, but... it's really not that useful, because even at a fifth level spell slot the backlash damage is entirely minimal, the DR doesn't stop heavy hitters, and the resistance can be better done with energy immunity.

Agreed, except he said he used two 4th level spells, not a 2nd and a 4th level.

The concept is cool, as the others have said.

Caldarin
2010-01-07, 08:22 AM
thanks guys- I'll drop the level to 5th... works for me- there's a group of weather flavored NPCs that I've been wanting to throw at the party for a while, and if it's a lower level spell, then even the base level people in the group (11th level casters) will have access to it