PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 Artificer

alexthemad
2010-01-06, 10:47 AM
Ok, so I've read several Artificer threads and they don't seem to answer the questions I have. At level 1 what feats should be taken for a human artificer? I'm wanting to go the Blastificer. At the moment I'm thinking Point Blank Shot and Precise shot. But I also think that Magical Affinity or Quicken Spell are viable options. Is there anything that I'm overlooking or any other options that I should look at?

Another question is, what are the 3 infusions I should start with? I'm thinking Lesser Armour Enhancement, Energy Alteration, and Magic Weapon. I also like Identify, Personal Weapon Augmentation, and Magic Vestment. Should I take one above the others?

All help is appreciated.

Edit: I tried to look at the Artificer Handbook in one of the threads, and it didn't work for me.

vampire2948
2010-01-06, 10:51 AM
Which books do you have available?

Adumbration
2010-01-06, 10:51 AM
Well, the X Artisan feat line from Eberron Campaign setting would help with the crafting costs etc.

alexthemad
2010-01-06, 11:21 AM
Which books do you have available?

I have alot of books available to me. I am fairly new to D&D, and havn't read most of them. One of my friends gave me all of his books. I'll list them. I apologize now for not knowing the abbreviations to all of them. :smallsmile:

Adventurers Guide to Ebberon, Arms and Equip, BoED, Complete: Adventurer, Arcane, Champion, Divine, Psionics, Scoundrel, Warrior, and Mage. Dracinomicon, Dragon Magic, DMG, DungeonScape, Ebberon Camp. Setting, Elder Evils, Exp. Psi, Fiendish Codex 1+2, Frostburn, Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis, Lords of Darkness, Lords of Madness, MIC, Magic of Faerun, Magic of Incarnum, Miniatures Handbook, PHB 1+2, Races of :Destiny, Dragon, Wild, and Stone. Sandstorm, Spell Compendium, Sword and Fist, ToB, ToM, Unearthed Arcana. Edit: I also have the Psionics Handbook.

Adumbration, the Artisan Feat line from Ebberon requires at least one Item Creation Feat. Should I grab one of them also even though I'll get them later in the class?

Aharon
2010-01-06, 11:40 AM
@Artisan Feats
You do get Scribe Scroll by virtue of being an artificer at first level, so you don't need to take any other item creation feats to qualify for the artisan feats.

@Infusions to use
I have little experience at very low levels (1-3), but if your DM keeps close to the guidelines given for the wealth you should have at each level, the frequent use of the infusions with costly material components might put a dent in your resources.

@Feats
The Artisan Feats aren't bad, in my opinion.

alexthemad
2010-01-06, 12:39 PM
@Artisan Feats
You do get Scribe Scroll by virtue of being an artificer at first level, so you don't need to take any other item creation feats to qualify for the artisan feats.

@Infusions to use
I have little experience at very low levels (1-3), but if your DM keeps close to the guidelines given for the wealth you should have at each level, the frequent use of the infusions with costly material components might put a dent in your resources.

@Feats
The Artisan Feats aren't bad, in my opinion.

Ah crap...I didn't think of Scribe Scroll. :smallannoyed: Thanks for the heads up. I also didn't think of the monetary costs of the infusions, that makes things a little easier to pick. Thanks again.

So I'm assuming that the 2 artisan feats are a better pickup at level 1 than point blank shot and precise shot in your opinion.

ShadowFighter15
2010-01-07, 02:02 AM
Another question is, what are the 3 infusions I should start with? I'm thinking Lesser Armour Enhancement, Energy Alteration, and Magic Weapon. I also like Identify, Personal Weapon Augmentation, and Magic Vestment. Should I take one above the others?

It's been a while since I read the class, but don't artificers automatically know all of the infusions for a level when they get access to it, like how a beguiler gets access to all of his spells whenever he can start casting that level?

The infusion part of the class table isn't how many they know; that's how many they can cast per-day.

An artificer can imbue an item with any infusion from the list without preparing the infusion ahead of time. Unlike a sorcerer or bard, he does not select a subset of the available infusions as his known infusions; he has access to every infusion on the list that is of a level he can use.

Pluto
2010-01-07, 04:43 AM
Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot are solid choices at level 1, assuming retraining is allowed. (Otherwise, they'll eventually go to waste against Touch ACs that consistantly hover around 12.) You might want to swap them for Artisan and Metamagic feats once you have a decent stockpile of wands (Until then, a Bane crossbow isn't such a bad thing to fall back on).

At level 1, Personal Weapon Augmentation is a strong choice to keep at hand. With a Light Crossbow, a held charge and a bit of forewarning regarding which Bane enhancement to apply, you should be able to generate very frightening damage.

Once your pocketbook gets a bit deeper and your durations get a bit longer, you might consider some of the more expensive Infusions.