PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Measure of a Man [Weapons, PEACH] (Fifth Set Posted!)

arguskos
2010-01-06, 04:24 PM
It is said that your measure is your skill with a blade. If this be true, then that man must be a master indeed...
-Unnamed peasant to another.

What was said is true. A warrior is measured by his ability with his weapon, with the rarer the blade, the more skill he is afforded for his uniqueness and talent.

Now, thanks to Ironstaff (http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/)'s amazing illustrations and kind permission, I am happy to bring you a collection of unique exotic weapons, sure enough to make any man the master of all he surveys!

The Broken Staff Polearm
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/207/2/7/Broken_Staff_Polearm_by_Ironstaff.jpg
Named for Master Broken Staff, a famed weapon master, the broken staff polearm is a rare and unique weapon. It is a two-handed exotic reach weapon, dealing 1d10 slashing or piercing damage with a critical range of x3. More importantly than that however, are the weapon's unique combination of tricks. A proficient wielder of a broken staff can use it to disarm (at a +2 bonus) or to trip an opponent, as per a flail or guisarme. Lastly, the wielder of a broken staff may use it in a unique attack called a reversing strike. By accepting a -2 on the attack, the broken staff may be used to attack adjacent creatures as though it did not have reach.
Price: 40 gp

The Radiant Halberd
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/339/3/f/Radiant_Halberd_by_Ironstaff.jpg
An interesting weapon, the radiant halberd was created by a man who desired the reach of a longspear, the punch of a halberd, and the trickery of a chain weapon. A radiant halberd is a one-handed exotic reach weapon, dealing 1d10 piercing damage with a critical range of x3. It counts as a halberd for the purposes of feats (such as Weapon Focus, Spinning Halberd, etc). Further, the radiant halberd, due to the collection of spikes around the head of the weapon, grants it's wielder one extra attack of opportunity per round.
Price: 95 gp

The Double Fork
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/329/f/4/Double_Fork_by_Ironstaff.jpg
This strange design was wrested from the clutching claws of the Sahuagin sharkfiends. The double fork is an exotic double weapon, dealing 1d8/1d8 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x3. It can be used to disarm opponents at a +2 bonus, similar to a flail.
Price: 100 gp

The Engineer's Sword
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2009/125/5/5/Engineer__s_Sword_by_Ironstaff.jpg
More a tool than a weapon, the Engineer's Sword was invented by a clever gnome inventor. It is a simple weapon, dealing 1d6 slashing damage with a critical range of x2. However, it doubles as a masterwork tool for any Craft check that could make use of a fine cutting edge, a saw blade, a ruler, or a hammer. Lastly, cruel wielders of an engineer's sword can use the saw blade to grind into a helpless opponent. When taking the coup de grace action with an engineer's sword, the attack deals x3 damage, instead of x2.
Price: 55 gp

The Multi-Use Weapon Tool System
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2009/116/9/7/Multi_Weapon_Tool_System_by_Ironstaff.jpg
Oh dear, this one is tricky indeed to master. The Multi-Use Weapon Tool System (shortened here to MUS) is the product of a design team of gnomes and dwarves who desired to create the ultimate product of versatility. The MUS has 8 attachments that it can be used with, and has the potential for many many more. Proper use of the MUS requires the user to be proficient with all Simple and Martial weapons, and to take the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Multi-Use Weapon Tool System) feat. The MUS is always masterwork.

In it's base configuration, the MUS is a masterwork quarterstaff, dealing 1d6/1d6 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of x2. It can be broken down into a set of masterwork nunchaku, dealing 1d6 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of x2, and permitting the user to disarm opponents. The various attachments can only be attached to the full quarterstaff, and are as follows:
-Pick: one end of the quarterstaff becomes a masterwork heavy pick, dealing 1d6 piercing damage with a critical range of x4.
-Butt Spike: one end of the quarterstaff becomes a masterwork dagger, dealing 1d4 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2.
-End Cap: one end of the quarterstaff becomes equivalent to a masterwork heavy mace, dealing 1d8 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of x2.
-Spear Point: one end of the quarterstaff becomes equivalent to a masterwork spear, dealing 1d8 piercing damage with a critical range of x3.
-The Frog Jig, Hook, and Eye Bolt attachments function as masterwork tools for any Craft checks that would benefit from their use, except that they grant +3 to the check instead of +2.
-The Cutting/Sawing/Prybar attachment functions as a masterwork tool for almost any Craft check, and also can be used as an improvised weapon dealing 1d6 slashing or piercing damage with a critical range of x2.
Attaching each attachment is a standard action. Breaking the MUS into a set of nunchaku is a standard action.

The MUS has one final special trick. If enchanted, the entire set can be enchanted as one object, or as individual parts, at the enchanters whim. If enchanted individually, each attachment only costs half price, since the MUS is easily accepting of magical enhancement.
Price (complete MUS set): 500 gp
Price (staff+nunchaku): 100 gp
Price (each attachment): 50 gp

So, there you have it, some interesting and unique toys for the aspiring fighter in you! I'll probably make more as I go, but I'd like to get some feedback on this batch first. Too good, not good enough, not unique enough, you smell funny, any thoughts are fine. :smallredface:

Siosilvar
2010-01-06, 05:45 PM
Lastly, cruel wielders of an engineer's sword can use the saw blade to grind into a helpless opponent. By taking a full-round action against a helpless creature, the user can deal automatic critical damage to them by sawing through them with the serrated edge.
Price: 15 gp

... Redundancy?

Coup de Grace

As a full-round action, you can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless opponent. You can also use a bow or crossbow, provided you are adjacent to the target.

You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

Demented
2010-01-06, 05:51 PM
All it's really missing are the attacks of opportunity. :p

The Double Fork
[...]
Most importantly however, due to it's sleek construction and unique design, the double fork can be used without penalty underwater.
Can't all piercing melee weapons be used without penalty underwater?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

These are all exotic weapons, yes?

Lappy9000
2010-01-06, 07:06 PM
Considering they all list that they're exotic, I'd assume so :smalltongue::smallwink:

I like these! Kudos for the graphics. The only thing I can see right now is that you should probably list how long it takes to disassemble/assemble the MUS. Otherwise, I need to get a set of these for my engineers :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-06, 07:07 PM
All it's really missing are the attacks of opportunity. :p
Not sure of your meaning here...?

Can't all piercing melee weapons be used without penalty underwater?
Really? I was unaware of that. Do you have a source for me, since I'd like to be totally sure. If that is the case, do you have any suggestions for something thematic for the weapon to benefit from underwater?

Technically, no. The Engineer's Sword is a simple weapon, as it says in it's description. The others all are however, as it says in their text.

@Siosilvar: ...yes. Well, I knew that! :smalltongue: Perhaps let's make it max damage then, since I liked the imagery of sawing someone to death.

Considering they all list that they're exotic, I'd assume so :smalltongue::smallwink:
Again, technically no. The Engineer's Sword is listed as "simple weapon". Given that to hit someone with it is "I whack them with the sharp bit", I didn't feel it was an exotic weapon really.

I like these! Kudos for the graphics. The only thing I can see right now is that you should probably list how long it takes to disassemble/assemble the MUS. Otherwise, I need to get a set of these for my engineers :smallbiggrin:
Thanks! Ironstaff did the artwork before I knew about them, so he gets the credit.

The MUS is a standard action to alter in any way (one attachment or breaking into chucks). I'll go note that, thanks for the catch.

Would anyone be interested in more weapons? Most aren't so engineering themed, just variations on themes and some unique toys (though, there's a Dwarven Mace Wrench I liked).

Lappy9000
2010-01-06, 07:25 PM
Again, technically no. The Engineer's Sword is listed as "simple weapon". Given that to hit someone with it is "I whack them with the sharp bit", I didn't feel it was an exotic weapon really.Dangit, but I was close :smallbiggrin:

The MUS is a standard action to alter in any way (one attachment or breaking into chucks). I'll go note that, thanks for the catch.

Would anyone be interested in more weapons? Most aren't so engineering themed, just variations on themes and some unique toys (though, there's a Dwarven Mace Wrench I liked).I like the engineer theme, and I'm hankering to build an engineer who wields an engineer's sword and/or an MUS. So yes, put me down for "more" :smallcool:

arguskos
2010-01-06, 07:28 PM
Dangit, but I was close :smallbiggrin:
Heh, yeah, I snuck that in there. :smallwink:

I like the engineer theme, and I'm hankering to build an engineer who wields an engineer's sword and/or an MUS. So yes, put me down for "more" :smallcool:
I can do the Wrench in the next wave of them, but after that, I'm kinda out of Ironstaff's great artwork. I'll see what I can do though. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and for playing an Engineer, you should check out the Warcraft d20's Tinker class. It's cool stuff.

Knaight
2010-01-06, 07:43 PM
@Siosilvar: ...yes. Well, I knew that! :smalltongue: Perhaps let's make it max damage then, since I liked the imagery of sawing someone to death.

Just bump the critical modifier up by 1.

Demented
2010-01-06, 07:48 PM
Not sure of your meaning here...?
Was referring to siosilvar's redundancy comment.

Really? I was unaware of that. Do you have a source for me, since I'd like to be totally sure. If that is the case, do you have any suggestions for something thematic for the weapon to benefit from underwater?
Here, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#aquaticTerrain) the table refers to Slashing, Bludgeoning and Tail attacks, but nothing about Piercing.

Lappy9000
2010-01-06, 07:57 PM
Oh, and for playing an Engineer, you should check out the Warcraft d20's Tinker class. It's cool stuff.I'll certainly look it up. At one point, I had planned to make some vaguely similar weapons for my version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6332557&postcount=33), but I ended up just letting them use improvised weapons without penalty (actual wrenches, hammers, drills, etc.)

Needless to say, I'm quite glad someone posted something like what I had hoped for!

arguskos
2010-01-06, 08:02 PM
Just bump the critical modifier up by 1.
Eh, I can do that. Seems reasonable. "When used in a coup de grace, the engineer's sword deals x3 damage instead of x2." Sounds good.

Was referring to siosilvar's redundancy comment.
Ah. /facepalm

Here, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#aquaticTerrain) the table refers to Slashing, Bludgeoning and Tail attacks, but nothing about Piercing.
Oh dears, you seem to be correct. Anyone have any ideas on something nice for the Double Fork then?

I'll certainly look it up. At one point, I had planned to make some vaguely similar weapons for my version (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6332557&postcount=33), but I ended up just letting them use improvised weapons without penalty (actual wrenches, hammers, drills, etc.)

Needless to say, I'm quite glad someone posted something like what I had hoped for!
Glad it was good timing! Hope you enjoy the new ones.

The second wave of objects is here! :smallbiggrin:

The Utility Axe
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/101/0/f/Utility_Axe_II_by_Ironstaff.jpg
This commonsense dwarven design is a simple weapon, dealing 1d6 slashing or piercing with a critical range of x2. It's main use is that it bypasses the hardness on non-stone and non-metal objects, making it perfect for snapping through rope, hacking through a door, or any such utility use.
Price: 8 gp

Dwarven Wrench
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs23/i/2009/253/2/a/Dwarven___Dragon___Wrench_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A famous tool, the dwarven wrench has seen much action and fame. It is more useful as a tool than as a weapon, to be honest. It comes with a prybar, a light hammer, and obviously, a wrench. It serves as a masterwork tool for Craft checks where the above tools would be important. If used as a weapon, it serves as a simple weapon that deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of x2.
Price: 60 gp

Dwarven Engineer Axe
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs25/i/2009/247/8/3/Dwarven_Engineer_Axe_by_Ironstaff.jpg
Another piece of fine dwarven engineering, this axe serves as a great tool for dwarven digging crews. The dwarven engineer axe is a two-handed martial weapon that deals 1d10 slashing or bludgeoning damage with a critical range of x3. It has the added benefit of ignoring hardness of stone objects.
Price: 70 gp

DracoDei
2010-01-07, 08:36 PM
As an (unemployeed) engineer the "Engineer's Sword" and M.U.S. get my seal of approval.

arguskos
2010-01-07, 09:12 PM
As an (unemployeed) engineer the "Engineer's Sword" and M.U.S. get my seal of approval.
Hah, glad that the Engineer's Sword and MUS are getting so much love!

I'll probably be making some more weapons tonight, and I'm STILL trying to figure out something nice for the Double Fork.

urkthegurk
2010-01-07, 10:37 PM
You don't need anything nice for the double fork. Its basically the only two-ended piercing weapon except for the double Kusarigama. The Kusarigama looks like this:

http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2tw/history/miscellaneous_history_folder/japanese_weapons_folder/kusarigama.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and say that chain weapons can't be used underwater, so you're in a pretty good niche. Also, I'm not sure what the rules are for the number of squares a swimming creature can threaten. If they are limited at all, I'd say that this could waive those limits. So go do some research on swimming!:smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-07, 10:41 PM
You don't need anything nice for the double fork. Its basically the only two-ended piercing weapon except for the double Kusarigama. The Kusarigama looks like this:

http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2tw/history/miscellaneous_history_folder/japanese_weapons_folder/kusarigama.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and say that chain weapons can't be used underwater, so you're in a pretty good niche. Also, I'm not sure what the rules are for the number of squares a swimming creature can threaten. If they are limited at all, I'd say that this could waive those limits. So go do some research on swimming!:smallbiggrin:
1. Your image is broken, but I know what a Kusari-Gama is. It's also an amazing weapon in 3.5

2. Maybe I'll just leave the double fork as is, or give it a unique attack trick. That'd be neat.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 05:00 PM
Ah-ha! Another batch! Perhaps someone might even *gasp* comment! :smallwink:

The Dwarven Prybar
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/008/5/f/Dwarven___Demolition_Bar___by_Ironstaff.jpg
This sturdy tool is of obvious dwarven make, and is a masterwork tool for Craft checks involving taking a structure or large object apart. It can be wielded as a one-handed simple weapon, dealing 1d8 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of x2.
Price: 20 gp

The God Hammer
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2009/365/a/f/God_Hammer____by_Ironstaff.jpg
Ah, the favored weapon of the god of chance, the god hammer is shaped after the dodecahedron, the most famed of all dice, and favored die of the god of chance. A god hammer is a one-handed exotic weapon, dealing 1d8 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. It has one special ability though. As a standard action, the wielder of a god hammer may detach the head of the weapon, and roll it while invoking a short prayer to the god of chance. If he favors them, the die will show a mystical number on the side that lands up, and the wielder will gain that number as a bonus to attack rolls for the next minute. If he does not, the number will be on the downward facing side, and the wielder will accrue that as a penalty instead. The DM is encouraged to determine both his favor and the number randomly, as befits the god of chance.
Price: 1,000 gp

The Hand Razor
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/101/6/1/Hand_Razor_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A quick weapon designed by martial artists, the hand razor has since been co-opted by street rogues looking to cut purses. The hand razor is a light simple weapon that deals 1d6 slashing damage with a critical range of x3. Monks begin play with proficiency in the hand razor, at their option, and treat it as a special monk weapon for use with flurry of blows. Further, a monk may use a hand razor to deliver a stunning fist attack. Finally, a hand razor may be easily hidden on your person, granting a +2 to Sleight of Hand checks to hide/draw a hand razor unobtrusively.
Price: 45 gp

The Elven Hookaxe
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/101/2/9/Elven_Boarding_Axe_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A design dating from the ancient days of elven expansionism, the elven hookaxe has recently been rediscovered. An elven hookaxe is a light martial weapon, dealing 1d8 slashing damage with a critical range of x2. The main power of a hookaxe is it's ability to be used in grapples without penalty. As an added benefit, a hookaxe grants a +2 bonus to Climb checks.

The Spiked Axe
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/101/5/0/Axe_of_Sorrow_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A brutal weapon developed by primitives in the deep jungle, the spiked axe is a fearsome weapon. A spiked axe is a two-handed exotic reach weapon that deals 1d12 piercing weapon with a critical range of x4.

If the wielder is trained in the use of the spiked axe, they may make a special hooking attack at their option. By accepting a -2 penalty on the attack roll, the wielder of the spiked axe may start a grapple from one square away with the target if the attack hits. This works as if he had the improved grab special ability, except that the target remains in its square if grappled. You cannot pin your opponent while grappling him with a spiked axe, nor can you attack him with natural weapons or use his weapon to attack unless he is within your natural reach. You must keep both hands on the spiked axe, so you cannot draw a light weapon or cast a spell with somatic components. If you win a grapple check to damage your opponent, you deal normal damage for the spiked axe instead of your unarmed striked damage. The grapple ends if the axe is released by the wielder for some reason.
Price: 110 gp

jiriku
2010-01-08, 05:46 PM
Excellent work! I like the double fork and the axe of sorrow especially. They do things that haven't really been done before.

To offer constructive advice, most of the exotic weapons seem to be balanced against the exotic weapons in the PHB, which is a mistake, IMO. People generally don't use those weapons because they're not worth the feat it takes to learn them. Many of the exotic weapons could use a small bump in power to justify the feat spent on them.
Also, several of your weapons specify that they can be used to disarmed. That's redundant. Anyone can disarm with any weapon. If you want to emphasize the disarming quality of a weapon, give it a +2 bonus on disarming attempts.
Additionally, you should specify whether each weapon is one-handed, two-handed, or a light weapon. In some cases it's obvious, but in other cases, it's not.

Specific Advice:
Broken Staff: deserves either a +2 bonus to disarm, or a x3 critical.
Radiant Halberd: should be a martial weapon, or should receive substantial improvements.
Double Fork: deserves a +2 bonus to disarm.
Engineer's Sword: should be a martial weapon. It's a little too strong for a simple weapon.
Utility Axe: Clarify the bypassing hardness ability. You say "non-stone" objects, but adamantine is not stone, for example. I doubt you intended it to bypass adamantine hardness.
Dwarven Wrench: Doesn't cost enough. It should cost more than 50 gp, the price of a masterwork tool.
Dwarven Engineer Axe: Doesn't cost enough. Needs its hardness-defeating properties clarified. If this is a one-handed weapon, it should be exotic. Its power level is appropriate for a two-handed weapon.
Axe of Sorrow: Normally a grappled target is pulled into your space. This isn't practical when you're grappling with a reach weapon. You should probably clarify exactly where the target ends up.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 05:56 PM
Excellent work! I like the double fork and the axe of sorrow especially. They do things that haven't really been done before.
Thanks! I've been looking for some good solid advice like this.

To offer constructive advice, most of the exotic weapons seem to be balanced against the exotic weapons in the PHB, which is a mistake, IMO. People generally don't use those weapons because they're not worth the feat it takes to learn them. Many of the exotic weapons could use a small bump in power to justify the feat spent on them.
I haven't balanced them against anything at all, just against "are they better than martial/simple weapons". If yes, exotic.

Also, several of your weapons specify that they can be used to disarmed. That's redundant. Anyone can disarm with any weapon. If you want to emphasize the disarming quality of a weapon, give it a +2 bonus on disarming attempts.
Actually, when I say "as a flail", it's to indicate the bonus, just like a flail gets. I can clarify though.

Additionally, you should specify whether each weapon is one-handed, two-handed, or a light weapon. In some cases it's obvious, but in other cases, it's not.
Most do, but yeah, I forgot in some cases. I'll fix that.

Specific Advice:
Broken Staff: deserves either a +2 bonus to disarm, or a x3 critical.
Radiant Halberd: should be a martial weapon, or should receive substantial improvements.
Double Fork: deserves a +2 bonus to disarm.
Engineer's Sword: should be a martial weapon. It's a little too strong for a simple weapon.
Utility Axe: Clarify the bypassing hardness ability. You say "non-stone" objects, but adamantine is not stone, for example. I doubt you intended it to bypass adamantine hardness.
Dwarven Wrench: Doesn't cost enough. It should cost more than 50 gp, the price of a masterwork tool.
Dwarven Engineer Axe: Doesn't cost enough. Needs its hardness-defeating properties clarified. If this is a one-handed weapon, it should be exotic. Its power level is appropriate for a two-handed weapon.
Axe of Sorrow: Normally a grappled target is pulled into your space. This isn't practical when you're grappling with a reach weapon. You should probably clarify exactly where the target ends up.
Broken Staff will get an x3 and the disarm clarification.
Radiant Halberd is a one-handed reach weapon with extra AoOs. I don't think it is martial, nor does it need anything extra.
Double Fork is clarified.
Engineer's Sword doesn't see much reason to be a martial. You just whack someone with the sharp bit, seems simple to me.
Utility Axe will be clarified. Thanks for that catch.
Wrench cost increased to 60 gp.
Engineer Axe is clarified to be two-handed martial, and to cost 70 gp. The hardness ignore is clear already: stone only. What's the trick here?
Spiked Axe is tricky. I couldn't find a way to word it I liked. The intent is that it grapples you from one square away. Thoughts on how to word it?

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it! Keep it comin'!

jiriku
2010-01-08, 10:40 PM
OK, if the radiant halberd is a one-handed reach weapon, then it's well-balanced as-is.

Spiked Axe: By accepting a -2 penalty on the attack roll, the wielder of the spiked axe may start a grapple from one square away with the target if the attack hits. This works as if he had the improved grab special ability, except that the target remains in its square if grappled. You cannot pin your opponent while grappling him with a spiked axe, nor can you attack him with natural weapons or use his weapon to attack unless he is within your natural reach. You must keep both hands on the spiked axe, so you cannot draw a light weapon or cast a spell with somatic components. If you win a grapple check to damage your opponent, you deal normal damage for the spiked axe instead of your unarmed striked damage. The grapple ends if the axe is released by the wielder for some reason.

Engineer's Sword: I call it martial because it resembles a shortsword and yet does more, but on second thought the skill bonuses are paid for by the increased gold cost, and wouldn't need to be paid for in the point-cost of the wepaon.

I have a set of guidelines I built a few years ago for creating new melee weapons. Let me dig it out here. You're welcome to use it if it's helpful.

When creating a weapon, each weapon gets a set number of "ability points". For most PHB weapons, each weapon gets 6 or 7 points (except for the dagger, quarterstaff, and spiked chain, which are 8-point weapons). For splatbook weapons, each weapon gets 7 or 8 points. Generally, only the 8-point weapons are powerful enough to be worth burning a feat slot to acquire. Admiral Ackbar would tell you that taking exotic weapon proficiency to wield a 6- or 7-point exotic weapon is a trap.

{table]TRAINING|COST
Exotic|0
Martial|2
Simple|3[/table]

{table]DAMAGE DIE|COST
d4|0
d6|1
d8/2d4|2
d10|3
d12/2d6|4[/table]

{table]EASE OF USE|COST
Two-handed|0
One-handed|2
Light|3[/table]

{table]DAMAGE TYPE|COST
Piercing|0
Slashing|1
Bludgeoning|1[/table]

{table]CRIT MULTIPLIER|COST
20/x2|0
20/x3|1
19-20/x2|1
18-20/x2|2
20/x4|2
19-20/x3|3
18-20/x3|4
18-20/x4|5[/table]

{table]SPECIAL|COST
Thrown 10 ft|1
Thrown 20 ft|2
+2 to one skill|1
+2 to disarm|1
+4 to one skill|2
reach |1
reach+threaten adjacent squares|2
trip|1
trip w/+2 to trip|2
set vs charge|1
finessable weapon|1
also functions as shield|2
monk weapon|2
double weapon|2 (build each half separately)
other specials|1 or 2 (varies with power) [/table]

The guidelines require some common sense. For example, a 1-handed reach weapon that deals 1d4 damage with an 18-20/x4 crit modifier is technically possible by the chart, but I would throw my DMG at any player who wanted to create one.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 10:51 PM
OK, if the radiant halberd is a one-handed reach weapon, then it's well-balanced as-is.
That was my thought.

Spiked Axe: By accepting a -2 penalty on the attack roll, the wielder of the spiked axe may start a grapple from one square away with the target if the attack hits. This works as if he had the improved grab special ability, except that the target remains in its square if grappled. You cannot pin your opponent while grappling him with a spiked axe, nor can you attack him with natural weapons or use his weapon to attack unless he is within your natural reach. You must keep both hands on the spiked axe, so you cannot draw a light weapon or cast a spell with somatic components. If you win a grapple check to damage your opponent, you deal normal damage for the spiked axe instead of your unarmed striked damage. The grapple ends if the axe is released by the wielder for some reason.
Perfect! May I steal it?

Engineer's Sword: I call it martial because it resembles a shortsword and yet does more, but on second thought the skill bonuses are paid for by the increased gold cost, and wouldn't need to be paid for in the point-cost of the weapon.
Eh, I didn't think it was good enough to justify the increased cost. Besides, it has a boring x2 crit.

As for your charts, I like 'em. I think I'll steal them for the future, maybe try them out sometime. Thanks!

Eldrys
2010-01-08, 11:43 PM
really cool weapons. Will you by any chance be making more attachments for the MUS?

arguskos
2010-01-08, 11:50 PM
really cool weapons. Will you by any chance be making more attachments for the MUS?
I could. Not sure what else to make, since I lack pictures for any, but I can toss some stats out there I guess. Any suggestions you'd like to see done?

jiriku
2010-01-09, 01:08 AM
Perfect! May I steal it?

Sure. Although the more I think on it, a little more clarification could help still. The general idea is that many actions in a grapple require you to have a free hand, but you have to keep two hands on the axe at all times, so you don't have as many options as usual. On the other hand, it's certainly possible that a creature with extra limbs could use the axe and bypass that restriction.

arguskos
2010-01-09, 01:13 AM
Updated. I think folks will just have to figure that one out jirku when they use the Spiked Axe.

I'll probably get another batch of stuff up tomorrow. I like giving weapons unique little attacks and maneuvers. It makes them worth taking.

arguskos
2010-01-10, 09:43 PM
And, speak of the devil, here's another batch of new weapons!

The Dragon Mane
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2009/105/6/0/Dragon_Mane_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A flowing, hard to handle weapon, the dragon mane is a very unique and rare blade. A dragon mane is a two-handed exotic weapon, dealing 2d6 slashing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. You can use Weapon Finesse with a dragon mane. A wielder proficient in the dragon mane may use it in a unique attack called the Flowing Mane Strike. If you attack and damage an opponent at least twice in one full attack with the dragon mane, you may take one extra attack with the dragon mane, at your highest attack bonus.
Price: 150 gp

The Infernal Blossom
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/104/0/3/Infernal_Blossom_by_Ironstaff.jpg
This unique and devastating polearm is a rare sight on mortal battlefields, given that it was developed by demons for breaking up devilish regiments in the Blood War. An infernal blossom is a two-handed exotic reach weapon, dealing 2d8 piercing damage with a critical range of x3. A skilled wielder may use the infernal blossom to trip enemies, and they may drop the weapon to resist being tripped back. Additionally, the infernal blossom can be used in a unique, magical attack called a devilbreaker charge. To perform a devilbreaker charge, the wielder has to take a charge action and expend a spell slot. In exchange, they gain a bonus to the attack at the end of the charge equal to the spell slot expended, along with the attack being treated as magical and made with a silvered weapon for purposes of beating DR.
Price: 250 gp

The Switchblade
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs45/i/2009/102/3/b/Sub_Hilt_Fighter_by_Ironstaff.jpg
Not a traditional version of the weapon, the switchblade is in actuality a well balanced dagger with a finger loop at the guard between the hilt and blade. This loop permits the wielder to perform a spinning action with the weapon, granting the free use of the Quick Draw feat, for the switchblade only. The switchblade is a light exotic weapon, dealing 1d6 slashing or piercing damage, with a critical range of 19-20/x2.

The Demon Crook
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/102/f/f/Demon_Crook_by_Ironstaff.jpg
An ancient weapon, the demon crook is primarily famous as the first true battlestaff, a weapon category of double weapons with differing ends. The demon crook is a two-handed exotic double weapon, dealing 1d10 slashing/1d8 piercing damage, with a critical range of x2/x3. The demon crook can be used to trip opponents with the crook end, and can be dropped to avoid being tripped back. The demon crook can be set against a charge, dealing double damage on a successful readied action against a charging creature.
Price: 50 gp

arguskos
2010-01-11, 10:47 PM
Another day, another update, not another comment...? :smallfrown: I guess my work is slipping then, though I was hoping jiriku would come back for an encore performance.

Gnomish... War Mill?
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/106/8/e/Gnomish_War_Mill_by_Ironstaff.jpg
This... um... "weapon" was designed by a famed adventurer and chef, Symon Cora. He found that sometimes, what he needed was a pepper mill that would hold up to the hard life of adventuring, and this, the gnomish war mill came to be. A gnomish war mill is a one-handed martial weapon, dealing 1d8 bludgeoning damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. It may, as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, be used as a pepper mill to season up to a 5-ft square with pungent and delicious cracked black pepper. The war mill can hold up to 20 doses of pepper, and takes 1 minute to be refilled.
Price: 60 gp (including 20 doses of pepper); 40 gp (no pepper)

Bolt Launcher
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/104/4/d/Spring_Powered_Bolt_launcher_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A weapon devised by the gnomish warrior caste, the bolt launcher is an unorthodox version of the crossbow. Where normal crossbows use tension to launch their bolts, the bolt launcher uses a complex spring system as the propellant. The bolt launcher is a two-handed exotic ranged weapon, dealing 1d12 piercing damage, with a critical range of x4. A bolt launcher has a range increment of 110 ft. The bolt launcher has a cylindrical chamber holding 14 shots, permitting the launcher to be used for iterative attacks. Replacing the chamber is a full round action. The great force of the bolt launcher has a drawback however. Each time the launcher is fired, there is a 5% chance that the recoil overloads the springs in the launcher, causing a jam. It requires a full-round action to unjam the weapon.
Price: 600 gp (launcher), 10 gp (case of 14 bolts)

Armblade
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs42/i/2009/104/5/a/Retractable_Forearm_Blade_by_Ironstaff.jpg
A sneaky weapon much favored by rogues, ruffians, and thugish fellows of all types, the armblade is a clever weapon, and can be retracted into the hilt for easy hiding as a free action (opening it is a free action as well). The armblade is a light exotic weapon, dealing 1d4 piercing damage with a critical range of 19-20/x2. A retracted armblade grants a +4 on Slight of Hand checks made to conceal it on your person. However, the true power of an armblade is in surprise. If the wielder of an armblade opens it and attacks a flat-footed opponent with it in the same round, they gain +1 attack and +1d6 damage, for that attack only. Armblades take up the bracer slot.
Price: 150 gp

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-27, 10:21 PM
Nit pick, the infernal blossom should be named abysall blossom (since in D&D infernal refers to devils not demons:smalltongue:)

Also the M.U.S sounds like the perfect weapon for a factotum:smallbiggrin:

Melayl
2010-03-27, 10:59 PM
Judging by the curve on the Dragon Mane, it should have a higher crit range. At least that of a kukri, I'd imagine.

arguskos
2010-03-27, 11:26 PM
Nit pick, the infernal blossom should be named abysall blossom (since in D&D infernal refers to devils not demons:smalltongue:)

Also the M.U.S sounds like the perfect weapon for a factotum:smallbiggrin:
1. True, but I like Infernal Blossom more. Abyssal Blossom is stupid sounding. Further, Tetsubo's drawing is titled Infernal, and that's what I'll use. :smallwink:

2. Man, everyone loves the MUS. Not like I blame you though, it's pretty awesome.

Judging by the curve on the Dragon Mane, it should have a higher crit range. At least that of a kukri, I'd imagine.
...where did you get the idea that the curve of the weapon influences it's critical range? I'm not being flippant, I'm actually curious where this train of thought came from. Mechanically, I am reluctant to do so, simply because the Dragon Mane is already fairly powerful (Flowing Mane Strike is reaaaaaaally powerful).

Also, uh, wow. Didn't expect to see this thread again. :smallwink: Thanks for the kind commentary.

sscheib
2010-03-28, 01:06 AM
All of these weapons are amazing! I'm totally using them in my campaign.

Melayl
2010-03-28, 09:07 AM
...where did you get the idea that the curve of the weapon influences it's critical range? I'm not being flippant, I'm actually curious where this train of thought came from. Mechanically, I am reluctant to do so, simply because the Dragon Mane is already fairly powerful (Flowing Mane Strike is reaaaaaaally powerful).

Partially from the SRD. Kukri, Scimitar, Falcion (all curved blades) have higher Crit ranges (18-20) than the straight bladed weapons. Patially from watching something on Discovery (I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the program) that discussed how curved blades (like the katana and kukri) cut more efficiently than straight blades.

If a character were to use the Dragon Mane in one of my campaigns, I probably wouldn't use the Flowing Mane Strike as a weapon ability, but as a class ability (it seems to fit better that way to me).

arguskos
2010-03-28, 11:09 AM
Partially from the SRD. Kukri, Scimitar, Falcion (all curved blades) have higher Crit ranges (18-20) than the straight bladed weapons. Patially from watching something on Discovery (I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the program) that discussed how curved blades (like the katana and kukri) cut more efficiently than straight blades.
Huh. Interesting. I've never figured there was a relationship between blade curve and crit range, but then again, I'm not a weapons master.

If a character were to use the Dragon Mane in one of my campaigns, I probably wouldn't use the Flowing Mane Strike as a weapon ability, but as a class ability (it seems to fit better that way to me).
I included it to make the weapon actually interesting. The design goal here was to create weapons with special attacks and abilities beyond just dice sizes and crit ranges.

sscheib, I'm glad you like them. Please, feel free to use anything here. :smallsmile:

Lappy9000
2010-03-28, 12:25 PM
Gah! I had forgotten about these :smallfrown::smalleek:

And I'm sorry I did, for the new batch is just as awesome as the rest. Quick question; any chance of the pictures being combined together ala Player's Handbook?

arguskos
2010-03-28, 02:10 PM
Gah! I had forgotten about these :smallfrown::smalleek:
Hah! 'salright.

And I'm sorry I did, for the new batch is just as awesome as the rest. Quick question; any chance of the pictures being combined together ala Player's Handbook?
Sweet. Thanks for the kind words. As for combining the pictures, uh, considering I didn't make them... no? I can ask Tetsubo though. Perhaps he'd be kind enough to do so. I can send him a PM (he's on the forums, and as I recall, said it'd be alright for me to do this as long as he was given permission) and see if he'd be willing to make a compilation image or two.

Lappy9000
2010-03-28, 03:09 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the kind words. As for combining the pictures, uh, considering I didn't make them... no? I can ask Tetsubo though. Perhaps he'd be kind enough to do so. I can send him a PM (he's on the forums, and as I recall, said it'd be alright for me to do this as long as he was given permission) and see if he'd be willing to make a compilation image or two.Well all the pictures are great, but the size of them, while great for a sense of detail and scale, doesn't make them really accessible for a player who's thinking, "Hmm, I need to browse for a cool new weapon." So yeah, a compliation image (or more) would be awesome.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 03:10 PM
Well all the pictures are great, but the size of them, while great for a sense of detail and scale, doesn't make them really accessible for a player who's thinking, "Hmm, I need to browse for a cool new weapon." So yeah, a compliation image (or more) would be awesome.
I sent him a PM. Hopefully, he'll be up for it, though it'd be a lot of work. I'll see what he says.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-28, 04:39 PM
{table=head]Weapon|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type
Broken Staff Polearm|40gp|1d8|1d10|×3|--|???|Piercing or Slashing
Radiant Halberd|95gp|1d8|1d10|×3|--|???|Piercing
Double Fork|100gp|1d6/1d6|1d8/1d8|19-20/×3|--|???|Piercing
Engineer’s Sword|55gp|1d6|1d8|×2|--|???|Slashing
M.U.S.|500gp*|1d4/1d4*|1d6/1d6*|×2*|--|???|Bludgeoning*
Utility Axe|8gp|1d4|1d6|×2|--|???|Piercing or Slashing
Dwarven Wrench|60gp|1d4|1d6|×2|--|???|Bludgeoning
Dwarven Engineer Axe|70gp|1d8|1d10|×3|--|???|Bludgeoning or Slashing
Dwarven Demo Bar|20gp|1d6|1d8|×2|--|???|Bludgeoning
God Hammer|1,000gp|1d6|1d8|19-20/×2|--|???|Bludgeoning
Hand Razor|45gp|1d4|1d6|×3|--|???|Slashing
Elven Hookaxe|20gp|1d6|1d8|×2|--|???|Slashing
Spiked Axe|110gp|1d10|1d12|×4|--|???|Piercing
Dragon Mane|150gp|1d10|2d6|19-20/×2|--|???|Slashing
Infernal Blossom|250gp|1d10|2d8|×3|--|???|Piercing
Switchblade|20gp|1d4|1d6|19-20/×2|--|???|Piercing or Slashing
Demon Crook|50gp|1d8/1d6|1d10/1d8|×2/×2|--|???|Slashing/Piercing
Gnomish War Mill|40gp|1d8|1d10|19-20/×2|--|???|Bludgeoning
Bolt Launcher|600gp|1d12|3d6|×4|110’|???|Piercing
Armblade|150gp|1d3|1d4|19-20/×2|--|???|Piercing[/table]

arguskos
2010-03-28, 05:15 PM
...:eek:

That's... really handy, actually. Many thanks Zeta! However, I think Lappy wants the artwork together in one spot.

Also, the Bolt Launcher has a range increment of 110 ft. I'll add that to the weapon proper now.

Lappy9000
2010-03-28, 06:42 PM
Heck, a chart is twice as useable! Go Zeta!

arguskos
2010-03-28, 07:09 PM
{table=head]Weapon|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type
Broken Staff Polearm|40gp|1d8|1d10|×3|--|15 lbs|Piercing or Slashing
Radiant Halberd|95gp|1d8|1d10|×3|--|9 lbs|Piercing
Double Fork|100gp|1d6/1d6|1d8/1d8|19-20/×3|--|8 lbs|Piercing
Engineer’s Sword|55gp|1d6|1d8|×2|--|3 lbs|Slashing
M.U.S.|500gp*|1d4/1d4*|1d6/1d6*|×2*|--|6 lbs*|Bludgeoning*
Utility Axe|8gp|1d4|1d6|×2|--|4 lbs|Piercing or Slashing
Dwarven Wrench|60gp|1d4|1d6|×2|--|6 lbs|Bludgeoning
Dwarven Engineer Axe|70gp|1d8|1d10|×3|--|11 lbs|Bludgeoning or Slashing
Dwarven Demo Bar|20gp|1d6|1d8|×2|--|5 lbs|Bludgeoning
God Hammer|1,000gp|1d6|1d8|19-20/×2|--|20 lbs|Bludgeoning
Hand Razor|45gp|1d4|1d6|×3|--|1 lb|Slashing
Elven Hookaxe|20gp|1d6|1d8|×2|--|3 lbs|Slashing
Spiked Axe|110gp|1d10|1d12|×4|--|15 lbs|Piercing
Dragon Mane|150gp|1d10|2d6|19-20/×2|--|8 lbs|Slashing
Infernal Blossom|250gp|1d10|2d8|×3|--|10 lbs|Piercing
Switchblade|20gp|1d4|1d6|19-20/×2|--|1 lb|Piercing or Slashing
Demon Crook|50gp|1d8/1d6|1d10/1d8|×2/×2|--|8 lbs|Slashing/Piercing
Gnomish War Mill|40gp|1d8|1d10|19-20/×2|--|3 lbs|Bludgeoning
Bolt Launcher|600gp|1d12|3d6|×4|110’|12 lbs|Piercing
Armblade|150gp|1d3|1d4|19-20/×2|--|1 lb|Piercing[/table]

Hey, I added in the weights to Zeta's fantastic table. I sorta just ballparked 'em.

Lappy9000
2010-03-28, 07:51 PM
Oh, and you might also wanna add in sections (or possibly different tables) for Simple, Martial, and Exotic weapons for completeness' sake. Then there's Light, Medium, and Heavy weapons too. I'd be glad to tweak that for you if you'd like.

arguskos
2010-03-28, 08:00 PM
Oh, and you might also wanna add in sections (or possibly different tables) for Simple, Martial, and Exotic weapons for completeness' sake. Then there's Light, Medium, and Heavy weapons too. I'd be glad to tweak that for you if you'd like.
Sure! I welcome the aid (since I'm hammering out an Epic critter for the Blade Lord Project right now, and doubt I can finish it tonight).

Lappy9000
2010-03-28, 11:58 PM
Okay, so I didn't see what type of weapon some of these are, so I guessed on the Engineer's Sword and Utility Axe. I'll work on the rest later.

Table: Simple Weapons
{table=head]Simple Melee Weapon|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type

Light Melee Weapons

Hand Razor|
45 gp|
1d4|
1d6|
×3|
—|
1 lb.|Slashing

One-Handed Melee Weapons

Dwarven Demo Bar|
20 gp|
1d6|
1d8|
×2|
—|
5 lbs.|Bludgeoning

Engineer’s Sword|
55 gp|
1d6|
1d8|
×2|
—|
3 lbs.|Slashing

Utility Axe|
8 gp|
1d4|
1d6|
×2|
—|
4 lbs.|Piercing or Slashing[/table]

Table: Martial Weapons
{table=head]Simple Melee Weapon|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type

Light Melee Weapons

Elven Hookaxe|
20 gp|
1d6|
1d8|
×2|
—|
3 lbs.|Slashing

One-Handed Melee Weapons

Dwarven Wrench|
60 gp|
1d4|
1d6|
×2|
—|
6 lbs.|Bludgeoning

Gnomish War Mill|
40 gp|
1d8|
1d10|
19-20/×2|
—|
3 lbs.|Bludgeoning

Two-Handed Melee Weapons

Dwarven Engineer Axe|
70 gp|
1d8|
1d10|
×3|
—|
11 lbs.|Bludgeoning/Slashing[/table]

arguskos
2010-03-28, 11:59 PM
General rule of thumb I use: if unlisted, assume one-handed. Note: that's how I do stuff. Yes, that makes the Engineer's Sword one-handed, and not light. Not sure if I like that or not, but it IS meant to be a solid, heavy kinda weapon, not a light flighty thing.

Also, thanks! ^_^

Lappy9000
2010-03-29, 12:01 AM
Yeah, the Utility Axe was pretty easy to guess at but I wasn't so sure about the Engineer's Sword. Fixed now!

arguskos
2010-03-29, 12:02 AM
Yeah, the Utility Axe was pretty easy to guess at but I wasn't so sure about the Engineer's Sword. Fixed now!
Yeaaaaah, something called "utility" is probably not gonna be a light weapon. :smallbiggrin:

Tetsubo 57
2010-03-30, 05:12 PM
Greetings- I am the person that made these sketches. I understand there is some confusion about the sizes. I will attempt to clear some of this up. many of my sketches, particularly my recent work, have a scale list near the bottom of the image. Note at the bottom they will have a text line that reads 'Size X on scale of 1 - 10'. Where X is the size of the weapon in the image. A size 1 weapon is a shuriken, while a size 10 weapon is a pike. A longsword or battleaxe would be a 5 on this scale, while a two-handed sword would be a 6. My double weapons such as the battlestaves* would be a 7 on this scale. Does that help at all?

I am considering doing a compilation image but it would not be all that easy. The only copies have on my hard drive have the text included. Which cutting out the test or rescanning the physical sketch. Neither of which sounds like a lot of fun. And I do this as a hobby. But I will consider it. maybe a vacation type of project.

Feel free to visit my Deviant Art page for my latest work and an archive of my past sketches. I am listed as 'Ironstaff' on DA.

Thank you for your interest, comments and helpful charts.

*I define a 'battlestaff' as a double weapon that has two dissimilar ends.

arguskos
2010-03-30, 05:13 PM
Tetsubo, thank you again for taking a look at this and letting us know. It's a real kindness, and I really appreciate it. :smallredface: