PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Would this work?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-06, 08:01 PM
In my attempt to find some way to close the power gap between the other players in my group and my constant string of casters, I think I stumbled on a solution. I need some help with it though as I'm not sure if it will work like I think it will, or even if it is a good idea.

Okay, the level isn't important, nor is the class so long as its a caster. What I'm planning is to use a ring of sustenance to cut my casters Sleep time to 2 hours/night. This leaves me 6 hours I need to rest and relax. As a worshiper of Gond, crafting is akin to prayer (clerics and followers often work on some project during prayers, as it brings them closer to their god). So I take that spare 6 hours of down time and use it to get to know my god (Gond) better by crafting something for the party (with UMD).

Written out, this looks sketchy to me, but it offers the group and the DM a way to close the gap in power both by lowering the caster's level and giving the other players a bump in power.

So what do you think?

SurlySeraph
2010-01-06, 08:18 PM
Casters require 8 hours to prepare spells even with a Ring of Sustenance.

As for lowering your power relative to the party, try focusing on buffing them rather than nuking the opposition.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-01-06, 08:23 PM
Casters require 8 hours to prepare spells even with a Ring of Sustenance.
As OOTS mentions, you don't have to sleep, just "rest". I think the OP is arguing that, as a follower of Gond, he'd find crafting restful enough.

Thurbane
2010-01-06, 08:35 PM
Note: as per the SRD, only arcane casters require 8 hours rest before preapring spells (unless this differs in PHB).

Kylarra
2010-01-06, 08:50 PM
It works if your DM says it works! :smalltongue:

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-06, 08:55 PM
As OOTS mentions, you don't have to sleep, just "rest". I think the OP is arguing that, as a follower of Gond, he'd find crafting restful enough.

Yep, that's what I'm going for.

Pluto
2010-01-06, 09:24 PM
Say what you want about the plausibility of Giacomo's strategies in an extended campaign, he did have a point. Sort of.

Giving spells to characters who don't have them will help to even the playing field.

The loss of caster experience won't matter though. Accelerated EXP acquisition for lower level characters evens things out (and can even push a crafter ahead in certain circumstances).

Runestar
2010-01-06, 09:37 PM
That, and complete mage has heward's fortifying bedroll, which cuts the time needed for arcane casters to just 1 hour. Seriously, no wizard should ever be without this gem, and it is fairly cheap (3000gp).

Works only every other day though. :smallfrown:

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-06, 09:42 PM
Erm... what are you crafting? Magic items? Because crafting magic items kinda requires you to cast spells.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-06, 09:54 PM
Yes, I intend to craft magic items.

Thurbane
2010-01-06, 11:07 PM
...it's perfectly doable by RAW if you take a divine caster. As I posted above, they don't need 8 hours rest.

While the others in your party are sleeping for 8 hours, you can craft for 5, sleep for 2 and meditate for spells for 1.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-06, 11:14 PM
Of course you need to craft for eight hours per day so you'll be holding them up for a bit in any case.

Thurbane
2010-01-06, 11:31 PM
Of course you need to craft for eight hours per day so you'll be holding them up for a bit in any case.
You could take a Warforged, or another "sleepless" race (Construct, Elemental, Outsider, Plant or Undead).

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-06, 11:34 PM
That, and complete mage has heward's fortifying bedroll, which cuts the time needed for arcane casters to just 1 hour. Seriously, no wizard should ever be without this gem, and it is fairly cheap (3000gp).

2 hours of rest, works once every three days iirc.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-08, 02:22 AM
You could take a Warforged, or another "sleepless" race (Construct, Elemental, Outsider, Plant or Undead).

I was hoping to find a way to do this without race restrictions for maximum flexability.

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 03:08 AM
The Tomb Born Vitality Feat (LM) removes the need for sleep.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-08, 10:33 AM
Removing the need to sleep does not remove the requirement for rest. Clerics may not need to rest, but they are still subject to the recent casting limit: "At the time of preparation any spells cast within the previous 8 hours count against the number of spells that can be prepared." (PHB p.180)

Also, crafting items != resting.

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 11:29 AM
Clerics may not need to rest, but they are still subject to the recent casting limit: "At the time of preparation any spells cast within the previous 8 hours count against the number of spells that can be prepared." (PHB p.180)
So long as you don't cast any (many) spells after the party has bunked down for the night, you're golden.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 11:34 AM

Well, together with the ring, this is pretty amazing.

Kylarra
2010-01-08, 11:39 AM
You can always just allocate 10 hours for resting so that you rest for 2 hours and spend 8 crafting while the rest take their respective rests. It doesn't obviate the fact that you're losing a spell slot each day to craft, but whatever it's not like you don't have enough of those anyway.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-08, 11:47 AM
So long as you don't cast any (many) spells after the party has bunked down for the night, you're golden.

Crafting requires you to cast spells, so unless you're waiting until after midday to ready your spells, still a no-go.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 12:26 PM
I can't see how swinging a hammer, knitting something in fine detail and otherwise staying focused or paying attention to what you're doing can possibly count as "resting," Gond or no Gond.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-08, 12:31 PM
When do you cast the spell? If at the start, surely craft 8 hours -> sleep 2 hours -> prepare spells 1 hour would eliminate all problems with preparing spells...provided you still have the spells required at the end of the day.

jiriku
2010-01-08, 01:05 PM
If your DM likes it, do it. Crafting items for the party at night and casting buff spells on them during the day is a great way to narrow the power gap. I do it myself with my wizards, and it works well. Moreover, when my spellcasting does overshadow the party from time to time, the players don't mind so much because they can see that I'm making an effort to be a team player.

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 09:29 PM
Crafting requires you to cast spells, so unless you're waiting until after midday to ready your spells, still a no-go.
Yes, I'm sure you could live without the one or two spells required if you really wanted to.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-09, 05:48 PM
The real question here is how is the rest of the party going to sleep with you crafting items all night? It ain't exactly the quietest activity. :smallamused:

herrhauptmann
2010-01-10, 12:51 AM
Aren't you supposed to have access to the appropriate workshop to craft something (mundane or magical crafting).
And I might be remembering 3.0 magical crafting, but during the say 9 days you were forging a ring, weren't you limited to doing ONLY that? Like taking time out to go squash a goblin nest would cause you to lose time and xp spent in creating the magic item. (Even if you and friends managed to go and kill the goblins inside of 2 hours, leaving you with plenty of opportunity to do your 8 hours of magical crafting)

But if DM likes the idea, go for it.

Optimystik
2010-01-10, 01:01 AM
The real question here is how is the rest of the party going to sleep with you crafting items all night? It ain't exactly the quietest activity. :smallamused:

Depends on what you're crafting. Banging at a forge is pretty noisy, but not weaving a cloak or sewing together some magic boots.

Unless you tend to hum to yourself while you work like I do. :smallredface:

2xMachina
2010-01-10, 02:08 AM
Humming? That won't wake anyone. Singing loudly maybe.

FMArthur
2010-01-10, 02:12 AM
Humming? That won't wake anyone. Singing loudly maybe.

Nonsense. Singing loudly is known to boost others' skill at sleeping.

Kylarra
2010-01-10, 02:15 AM
Nonsense. Singing loudly is known to boost others' skill at sleeping.Also moving silently. :smallamused:

herrhauptmann
2010-01-10, 12:35 PM
Also moving silently. :smallamused:

Depends how you do it. Trying to boost the others competence directly, yeah that should fail.
But if you do it by "singing loudly so the guards can't hear anything" then the allies SHOULD get that bonus.