View Full Version : warhammer question

Soranar
2010-01-06, 08:30 PM
the prestige classes

Hammer of Moradin

and

Battlesmith

both require weapon focus (warhammer)

could I just make a normal warhammer (medium sized) into a large one (large sized, damage becomes 2d6) and wield it 2 handed?

Solaris
2010-01-06, 08:43 PM
Depends on your DM.

arguskos
2010-01-06, 08:49 PM
There IS a two-handed warhammer. It's called the Maul. Any sane DM will permit Weapon Focus (maul) to work as well. It's hardly game-changing.

nyarlathotep
2010-01-06, 08:50 PM
There is a maul or the infamous minotaur greathorn hammer.

Kylarra
2010-01-06, 08:51 PM
the prestige classes

Hammer of Moradin

and

Battlesmith

could I just make a normal warhammer (medium sized) into a large one (large sized, damage becomes 2d6) and wield it 2 handed?You'd be eating a -2 penalty for wielding the wrong sized weapon, but yes it would work. Better off asking your DM to allow the maul, as mentioned by previous posters.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-06, 10:00 PM
the prestige classes

Hammer of Moradin

and

Battlesmith

could I just make a normal warhammer (medium sized) into a large one (large sized, damage becomes 2d6) and wield it 2 handed?
Strongarm bracers will allow you to wield it without the -2 penalty.

You can make it out of gold or platinum to make it 'heavy' (which is a different usage of the word heavy than that in the Heavy Flail), which makes it count as an exotic weapon (golden doubleaxe would be a different feat from a regular doubleaxe). From there, you use either EWP: golden weapon, or put a magical enhancement on the weapon to allow you to wield it properly. The advantage to a golden weapon is that your weapon goes up an additional size category in terms of damage. medium -> large. large -> huge.

Solaris
2010-01-06, 10:18 PM
There IS a two-handed warhammer. It's called the Maul. Any sane DM will permit Weapon Focus (maul) to work as well. It's hardly game-changing.

Well, yeah, but nobody's calling me sane after I let a five-headed copper half-dragon hydra in as a PC. I'd still let him in as those classes with pretty much anything I could reasonably call a hammer. There goes your any sane DM argument.
The use of the warhammer vs maul is a little different, though. Not, y'know, a whole lot, but enough that some of the more rules-lawyery types would tell him 'no'. The more important difference (and you must forgive me for not being terribly familiar with the class) would be whether or not the Hammer of Moradin could con Moradin into letting him use a maul rather than his actual favored weapon.

Matthew
2010-01-07, 01:11 PM
Ha, ha. I found this thread so confusing at first. I was thinking that War Hammer third edition sounded a lot like Dungeons & Dragons. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-07, 01:16 PM
Well, yeah, but nobody's calling me sane after I let a five-headed copper half-dragon hydra in as a PC. I'd still let him in as those classes with pretty much anything I could reasonably call a hammer. There goes your any sane DM argument.
Wow, that's a sweet PC. How'd he work out?

The use of the warhammer vs maul is a little different, though. Not, y'know, a whole lot, but enough that some of the more rules-lawyery types would tell him 'no'. The more important difference (and you must forgive me for not being terribly familiar with the class) would be whether or not the Hammer of Moradin could con Moradin into letting him use a maul rather than his actual favored weapon.
Kinda, but then again, as the God of the Dwarves, Moradin more than likely is quite willing to let his worshippers use a bigger warhammer, also called a maul. Seems fair enough. Unless your version of Moradin has such a stiffy for himself that he's unwilling to permit his own people from using a weapon they invented to honor him. :smallwink: In which case, that's fair I guess, but a little dickish.