PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Books

mr.fizzypop
2010-01-06, 11:05 PM
Recently, I've gotten interested in Pathfinder, and I'm thinking of buying some books. I know I'm going to get the main book, but is their any others I should get?

Also how well do 3.5 classes or races convert over from 3.5?

BobVosh
2010-01-06, 11:07 PM
Pathfinder core is the only pathfinder book right now.

The setting was written back in 3.5. However converting is very easy, and I believe they have a free guide on their page.

arguskos
2010-01-06, 11:10 PM
The Bestiary would like to have words with you. :smallwink:

mabriss lethe
2010-01-06, 11:53 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

The pathfinder SRD should give you a decent place to start.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 12:21 AM

The setting was written back in 3.5. However converting is very easy, and I believe they have a free guide on their page.

I could have sworn there was also a setting book published. Sworn as in, I read half of it.

Some things convert over nicely...some don't. All depends on what it is. Races are fairly easy...just add a +2 like pathfinder races have. A lot of 3.5 PrCs do end up looking lackluster compared to pathfinder base classes though, given that most of them gained a fair bit. The high powered stuff, though, is still perfectly valid as is. Just fudge the skills and such around to match the new system.

arguskos
2010-01-07, 12:22 AM
I could have sworn there was also a setting book published. Sworn as in, I read half of it.
I don't recall too much content in it though. Didn't do more than cursory glance though, so I could well be wrong.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 12:24 AM
If by content you mean crunch, then yeah, it was reasonably weak.

It seemed an alright setting(playing a rise of the runelords campaign in it atm), but not amazing or highly unusual. A homebrewed setting or one found for free online is also great.

Akal Saris
2010-01-07, 04:32 AM
I'd get the bestiary as well. The CS book is alright, but not terribly necessary unless you want to run games in their normal CS. It has a few nifty feats, items and PrCs, but nothing to die for.

There's actually quite a few setting books for particular areas (Cheliax, etc), but again those aren't too important one way or the other.

There's Gods and Magic, which is all about the deities. Lots of new spells and items - I'm a fan of Devil's Blood, which is a 1st level spell that lets conjurers be healers :D

Finally, there's the modules. I love Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne, and Legacy of Fire and Second Darkness are shaping up well so far. They'd be my first purchase after the core book and bestiary. I actually wouldn't spend money on the CS or the minor setting books though.

Person_Man
2010-01-07, 10:07 AM
It's quite easy to take Pathfinder classes, feats, or races, and plunk them directly into a 3.5 game, or vice verses. You could even have a 3.5 dwarf playing next to a Pathfinder dwarf. Things might be a bit imbalanced, but that's the nature of 3.5. For example, I've played in a party with a core Gnome and a Whisper Gnome side by side.

The only big difficulty with Pathfinder is that it's made a lot of small fiddly changes to Special Attacks, certain core feats, and spells. If your group likes them, you can adopt all or some of them. If you don't, ignore them.