PDA

View Full Version : How has D&D affected your perception of everyday life?

Lioness
2010-01-07, 03:03 AM
First off, I was unsure whether to stick this here or in Friendly Banter. It went here, because it is about D&D

Basically, do you hear D&D references where there shouldn't be any, and point them out? Do you randomly class people, stat people, or both? Share your experiences

I've found it taking over increasingly. Today mum asked 'What's the alignment of the TV like?' Meaning, 'is it straight?'
But oh no. I couldn't take it like a normal person. I spent the next half an hour debating over the alignment of the television. With myself.

And at D&D, our group regularly has discussions over what classes famous figures/film heroes are. Especially if they're about as far away from D&D as possible. The most recent of these is Mary Poppins, as you may have seen from the thread that sunk to the depths of the first page.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-07, 03:07 AM
My friends were arguing what class/es Maleficent from sleeping beauty was.

Thajocoth
2010-01-07, 03:12 AM
It's given me a +1 circumstance bonus.

Oddly enough, that answers the question by example instead of by explanation.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-07, 03:16 AM
Flirting with gamers is fun if you bring dice and calculat penalties and bonuses added to various saves

SurlySeraph
2010-01-07, 03:18 AM
I often mentally translate action scenes in various media into DnD terms without realizing I'm doing it (Full attack, no hits, drop the weapon as a free action, Jack charges for a bull rush and apparently has Dungeoncrasher, Fayid grapples, deals damage, Jack escapes and trips, grapple, improvised greatclub ow he rolled minimum damage, disarm... (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4839860/24_Twenty_Four_Jack_vs_Fayed))

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:20 AM
I'm a history major who plays 4e.

I made builds for Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, MacBeth, hell, even Moses!!!

(Inspiring Warlord, Resourceful Warlord, Thaneborn Barbarian, and Shielding Cleric respectively)

Every time I study a war, I feel like I have to stat out major figures in it.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:21 AM
I often mentally translate action scenes in various media into DnD terms without realizing I'm doing it (Full attack, no hits, drop the weapon as a free action, Jack charges for a bull rush and apparently has Dungeoncrasher, Fayid grapples, deals damage, Jack escapes and trips, grapple, improvised greatclub ow he rolled minimum damage, disarm... (http://www.myvideo.de/watch/4839860/24_Twenty_Four_Jack_vs_Fayed))

That was ridiculous... I could see an Endurance check against suffocation in there somewhere but it matched up EXACTLY.

Munchkin-Masher
2010-01-07, 03:25 AM
Every time i see someone in a film or something like that, that casts TH3 MAGICZ OMGZ!?!?! I always try to stat and class them out. Every. @!*$ing. Time. Last time i saw "V for Vendetta" i went so far as to pull out all my splat book and look for an obscure dagger based PrC.

Lioness
2010-01-07, 03:29 AM

I made builds for Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, MacBeth, hell, even Moses!!!

(Inspiring Warlord, Resourceful Warlord, Thaneborn Barbarian, and Shielding Cleric respectively)

That is so cool.

Magnor Criol
2010-01-07, 03:35 AM
Every time i see someone in a film or something like that, that casts TH3 MAGICZ OMGZ!?!?! I always try to stat and class them out. Every. @!*$ing. Time. Last time i saw "V for Vendetta" i went so far as to pull out all my splat book and look for an obscure dagger based PrC.

This. My friends and I routinely stat / class out characters we see, so often it's hardly even a joke or anything anymore - we just sort of idly comment on it as if we were chatting on the weather and move on. Also, real life people get much the same treatment.

This pertains to alignment discussions ("he's totally acting CN there" "no, man, it's CG, he just wants to be CN") and relating any action, especially simple conversations, to skill checks ("Haha, totally rolled a 1 on that bluff, didn't you?"). Also saving throws; I often mention that I have a high Fort or Will save in response to something, and that's one of the ways I tell if someone is a gamer or not if I don't know yet. :smalltongue:

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:38 AM
That is so cool.

Thanks man! How did the Mary Poppins stats turn out?

Lioness
2010-01-07, 03:41 AM
Thanks man! How did the Mary Poppins stats turn out?

They didn't. Topic sort of died.

Err...let's see. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137464)

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:45 AM
Aaaand now I'm not gonna sleep till 5 am cause of that Scary Mary Poppins trailerrrrr!

starwoof
2010-01-07, 03:45 AM
I'm prone to complimenting people about leveling up on their birthday without realizing what I'm saying.

Lioness
2010-01-07, 03:46 AM
Aaaand now I'm not gonna sleep till 5 am cause of that Scary Mary Poppins trailerrrrr!

I love the Scary Mary trailer. It's...just...pure win.

I must try the levelling up thing...if only for my D&D friends.

I wish my schoolbag were a bag of holding.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:52 AM
Implementing skills into everyday life is probably the easiest.

For instance, failing a Stelath check when sneaking into your house past dark.

That and figuring out what my Knowledge(Schoolwork) level is...

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-07, 03:56 AM
~snip~
I wish my schoolbag were a bag of holding.

No, you would want a Heward's Handy Haversack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handyHaversack) :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-01-07, 04:59 AM
I've found it taking over increasingly. Today mum asked 'What's the alignment of the TV like?' Meaning, 'is it straight?'
But oh no. I couldn't take it like a normal person. I spent the next half an hour debating over the alignment of the television. With myself.

I've gone to the point where I think of "Player Character" before "Personal Computer" when hearing the word "PC"...

AslanCross
2010-01-07, 05:01 AM
I frequently refer to saves.

<Student> Sir, take a look at this disturbing pic. I DARE you to not laugh.
<Me> Sorry, I made my will save.

<Me, sniffling with a bad cold, in front of class> I seem to have failed my fort save.

Skill checks as well:

<Student> Sir, how did you know who my crush is?
<Me> Sense Motive is a class skill for Teachers.

<Me, reacting to something a student did> ARGH! Your Craft (Disturbing Image) check has succeeded! I take 1d10 Wisdom damage!

Lioness
2010-01-07, 05:20 AM
I've gone to the point where I think of "Player Character" before "Personal Computer" when hearing the word "PC"...

Yeah...it's probably a worry

'I got a new PC the other day!'
'Oh, did the old one die?'
'Yeah.'
'How?'
'The hard drive failed...(or something else)'
'...my bad...'

*snip*

My gosh. I want you as a teacher. Why are none of my teachers this awesome?

dsmiles
2010-01-07, 05:24 AM
First off, I was unsure whether to stick this here or in Friendly Banter. It went here, because it is about D&D

Basically, do you hear D&D references where there shouldn't be any, and point them out? Do you randomly class people, stat people, or both? Share your experiences

And at D&D, our group regularly has discussions over what classes famous figures/film heroes are. Especially if they're about as far away from D&D as possible. The most recent of these is Mary Poppins, as you may have seen from the thread that sunk to the depths of the first page.

Are you my soulmate? :smalltongue:

Lioness
2010-01-07, 05:28 AM
Are you my soulmate? :smalltongue:

Haha, possibly :smalltongue:

I'll add that I eventually decided that the TV was LN, tending towards CN when showing children's programs and quiz shows.
Alternatively, it's TN, because it doesn't really care what you think about what it shows.

Runestar
2010-01-07, 05:48 AM
I sometimes say "human" unconsciously when asked what my race is. :smallbiggrin:

Ichneumon
2010-01-07, 06:13 AM

<Student> Sir, take a look at this disturbing pic. I DARE you to not laugh.
<Me> Sorry, I made my will save.

<Me, sniffling with a bad cold, in front of class> I seem to have failed my fort save.

Skill checks as well:

<Student> Sir, how did you know who my crush is?
<Me> Sense Motive is a class skill for Teachers.

<Me, reacting to something a student did> ARGH! Your Craft (Disturbing Image) check has succeeded! I take 1d10 Wisdom damage!

I must know, do the kids get the references?

I do this too, every time.

sofawall
2010-01-07, 06:36 AM
One of my gym teachers said once "Alright everyone grab your swords... Er, sticks."

Moral of the story? Don't teach Hockey after playing WoW during lunch break.

Roderick_BR
2010-01-07, 07:23 AM
Did you find it? I think the Complete Warrior have one called Invisible Blade.

Back to the OP:
Heh, I often find myself stating things, or making new rules based on things/places/people I see.
My old group would also stat things a lot, and describe things and actions using D&D terms, as a kind of inside joke. We once played with a guy that was a contributor to a RPG magazine here, and he said we talked TOO MUCH about D&D.
Finally, an ex-coworker once almost told his mother that picking up his keys was a move-like action, when she asked if he had picked them up.

rakkoon
2010-01-07, 07:32 AM
I just often comment on coworkers being lawful evil.
They tend to do EXACTLY what you ask.

denthor
2010-01-07, 07:32 AM
We had this discussion at a table during a short break

Stat out Indiana Jones

str

Dex

Int

Wis

Con

Cha ladies be realistic he is not a 25

Most importantly what core class is he.

Feats

Exotic weapon feat whip

My answers later

Siegel
2010-01-07, 07:40 AM

Isn't Moses more like a Guardian Invoker ?

megabyter5
2010-01-07, 07:52 AM
Oh, not that strongly, really. Just a few details, like maybe

I assign people alignments whenever possible, both real and fictional people. I am constantly on the lookout for people I know who could be considered to have levels in a PC class, especially those with good alignments. I have decided my younger brother has at least one level in ranger after several years in the boy scouts. I believe that the scarecrow from the wizard of oz is a construct, and thus seeks to be awakened to gain an INT score, whereas the tin man is more interested in a CON score, and I'm still not sure who it was that cast Awaken on the cowardly lion. Upon seeing an advertisement for a psychic hotline, I remarked "I didn't know we were using psionics". I readily describe my own flaws as dump stats, with wisdom and constitution sharing a large penalty and probably a low charisma score as well. My strength is probably a 10 at best, with dexterity at 12 or 13 or maybe 14 or 15, but my intelligence might even go up to a 16 or 17... Really, I'm sure I have a terribly low point-buy total. I am worried that I might be part of a doomed family in the backstory of my younger brother (the ranger), who is of course a PC. Most importantly, I have found myself, depending on the circumstances, offering prayer to the various gods of the core 3.5 pantheon.

AslanCross
2010-01-07, 08:01 AM
I must know, do the kids get the references?

I do this too, every time.

Some of them do. A number of them have since graduated to become a regular gaming group.

dsmiles
2010-01-07, 08:10 AM
I don't generally let it interfere in my "normal" life.

Unless you count me spending about an hour a day thinking of the benefits of having permanent spells cast on myself or what spells I could use in everyday activities.

"Oh, this would be so much easier if I had a permanent Owl's Wisdom."

"Man, I wish I could just cast teleport. Then I wouldn't be stuck in this gods-forsaken traffic!"

"Man, I sure could use an Tenser's floating disk right about now."

Just things like that...:smallwink:

Decoy Lockbox
2010-01-07, 08:55 AM
In the circle of gamers I know, when somebody f*cks up, but it wasn't really their fault, we normally chalk it up to rolling a natural 1.

This next one isn't from D&D, but rather a game called "Minimus", where there is a combination of character points and action points called "bennies". You can spend bennies gaining new skills, rerolling dice, or gaining bonuses on die rolls. You get bennies for good roleplaying, accomplishing your character's goals, and for epic failures; when you fail, you can describe the failure, and if it's sufficiently anti-awesome, another player can nominate you for a bennie, which is then put to a group vote.

So now whenever we see somebody screw up mightily IRL, one of us may say, almost as a reflex, "I'd like to nominate him for a bennie".

Thrawn183
2010-01-07, 09:17 AM
I have found myself slightly more likely to use words like rogue, which most people are actually quite familiar with even if they never use it in everyday conversation. Then I find myself wondering if everyone actually understands what I'm talking about. Fortunately, I manage to have fairly separate normal and D&D lives.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-07, 11:53 AM

Interesting. Do you find that knowing their builds gives you any insight into their actions or motivations?

Tinydwarfman
2010-01-07, 12:07 PM
I don't stat people in dnd terms, but I do stat people in gurps. all the time. it's rather unsettling...:smalleek: I have also built myself, two of my friends, my dad, and a lot of characters that I like surprisingly well. While it is complicated, I am constantly amased at just how accurate and easy it is to build real people in gurps. I find d&d too formulaic to build my favorite film and book characters from, but I am not too familiar with any books outside core, Bo9S, ToM, and XPH, so I imagine there are many other classes I am missing.

Solaris
2010-01-07, 12:18 PM
Flirting with gamers is fun if you bring dice and calculat penalties and bonuses added to various saves

That's just cruel.

I sometimes say "human" unconsciously when asked what my race is. :smallbiggrin:

Sometimes, I don't.
o_o

Keshay
2010-01-07, 12:54 PM
Whenever I go out I try to make sure every magic item equipment slot is filled. I'm not sure if this is due to D&D or MMOs, I only really started noticing I was "missing" things after playing DDO.

I also have tried to figure out what people's skills are. Or exactly what feats I managed to take that allow me to be relatively competent in just about anythign I try, moreso than would be acheivable by even large numbers of skill points or high stats. I've figured it must be somethign like +4 to all Craft and Profression skills (At the expense of all Perform Skill checks auto-failing).

Either that or a modest ability bonus from Int or Wis (+1-2) is far more important than the game lets on.

Darius Rae
2010-01-07, 05:08 PM
http://xkcd.com/189/

I think about this all the time when I am running.

Salz
2010-01-07, 05:35 PM
I am defintely part of the PC = Player Character before Personal Computer.

The other thing that me and my group do, and it started as a joke, is rate people on appearance and everything from 3-18. Like I said, it was a joke. Now... now it's serious...

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 05:48 PM
Isn't Moses more like a Guardian Invoker ?

Moses was competent. :smallwink:

Oh, and while statting them out, I did more research than I might have done for my classes. The reason Julius is Inspiring is because of his cult de personality style of leadership. Alexander was ready for ANYTHING. And Moses was the wild card. I knew Divine, but he was important, thus why I didn't want invoker.

And damn, when I said "classes", I immediately thought DnD. Curses...

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 05:49 PM
Some of them do. A number of them have since graduated to become a regular gaming group.

I gotta say... You're my hero. Like I said I'm a History Major, and I'm also in the Education Program. I wanna be just like you when I get older, Aslan. :smallbiggrin:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-01-07, 09:46 PM
Recently someone said someone was shifty, and I thought, "They get to shift 1 square as a minor action?"

Grommen
2010-01-07, 10:03 PM
Friend of mine from Karate also plays D&D. When I got my Black Belt a few years back he leaned over to me and said, "So what level monk does that make you?". I figgered seeing as I was the boss at work, ergo meaning that I had followers and you can't get that feat till 6th level. I said "Must be at least 6". I still get sick so I think I need to relook at my build. :smalleek:

I was at a convention for Gemstone III (Text Mudd, yes I'm that old). So a bunch of us are riding up the elevator and talking about our toons in 1st person (must be a gamer thing), and I noticed other people looking funny at us. Didn't occur to me that we were describing a fight that ended with one of us saying "So I killed him!"

Moral of the story, when in Vegas, never end a statement with "And so I killed him." :smallwink:

Koury
2010-01-07, 10:09 PM
Wait, people DON'T try and figure out the classes and skills and feats of themselves and everyone they know?

Really?

Also, Grommen, could you perhaps be a Fighter ~ level 3? Improved Unarmed? Fits well with your apparent lack of immunity.

Xzeno
2010-01-07, 10:13 PM
I choose classes and alignments for people I know, of course, but who doesn't?

The biggest thing I do, however, is relate game mechanics to real life to see how realistic they are. For example, I've learned that when I make an attack* with a weapon with which I'm not proficient, I usually take an attack of opportunity. That bit works out fairly well.

*I have monk levels. A variant monk that doesn't suck. And I picked up exotic weapon proficiency for some stuff.

R. Shackleford
2010-01-07, 10:16 PM
Me and my friends point out when we've failed a relevant skill check, in a manner similar to losing the game.

We also stat ourselves.

Maerok
2010-01-07, 10:17 PM
Well after a while you get used to the ritual sacrifices....

Anywho, obsessing over feats and builds has helped plan out my classes each semester for college and identify optimized (double-dipping for Gen Eds and such). classes (the kind you go to).

Ormur
2010-01-07, 11:17 PM
I don't constantly translate real life to the mechanics of D&D, except for the occasional alignment and class questions.

It's more often that I think about the world I'm creating as a DM or playing in. I put myself in my (NPC or PC) characters shoes and think of situations. I've always done that, before I got into D&D I just made up my own worlds. Having an excuse means it might even have made me more sane, not less. But at least I don't mutter to myself in public, much.

Phlale
2010-01-07, 11:32 PM
My sister and her friends (all in highschool at the time) were watching Transformers on afternoon when I walked in. If you remember, at the beginning there is a large Decepticon scorpion like creature that slaughters what seems like half the US Army. One of the girls asked how it knew where they were when it was underground. My answer; "Tremorsense"

And yes, I've statted out friends, rivals, figured out what kind of equipment bonii I would get for all my stuff in different situations... But I'm a good person

Lyth
2010-01-07, 11:35 PM
Can we start a club of this "PC = player character, not personal computer?"

Don't know if this counts, but the reason I have my obsession - writing - is because of D&D. Most of my stories end up based on campaign ideas that don't get off the ground for whatever reason.

As such, I tend to start thinking about everything in D&D terms: my characters, my inspirations, and every other tidbit of information that goes into writing a story....as well as how I write it.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-07, 11:56 PM
+1 to "PCs=Player Characters" and "I stat out everyone I know". (I feel a facebook group coming on...)

In other news, I also calculate probabilities of success based on skill checks. When I get really bored, and have something on my mind, there's a good chance that I'll start checking to see what optimized Level 1 Human Commoner build I could make to maximize success chances. I've also become convinced that I min/maxed my own life, considering my very strange stat distribution. Furthermore, I occasionally get a mental image of my patron deity rolling out character sheets and turning them into children.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 12:50 AM
I catch myself thinking, at odd times throughout the day, how cool it would be if psionics were real. Like Push on steroids.

Kallisti
2010-01-08, 01:08 AM
+Another one for PC=Player character.

I don't stat things out--there are better things to do with my time, like kill time on this forum--but pretty much any time I see a movie or a TV show I think about how you'd run that kind of a game. "Yeah, that'd never happen, the players'd kill the DM for that one," "That...would be seriously awkward to declare in front of the group..." etc.

Weirdly enough, this applies much less so for books, even though I read a lot more than I watch TV/movies.

NeoVid
2010-01-08, 01:11 AM
'I got a new PC the other day!'
'Oh, did the old one die?'
'Yeah.'
'How?'
'The hard drive failed...(or something else)'
'...my bad...'

...I actually thought, "What, did his character get erased when his hard drive failed?" before banging my head against the keyboard at my own idiocy.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 01:30 AM
I pray at times to various Faerunian deities. I've been known, on rare occasion, to actively invoke Beshaba on other people. Sometimes, when no one's watching, I'll flip a dime over my shoulder and toss a prayer to Tymora. I've gone on a 15 minute rant about how Akadi personally hates me before. :smalleek: And these are just the ones I can recall! I know I've prayed to Talos before working on electricals in a house before.

I stat people I see, do the PC=Player Character thing, have been known to carry around a 12-piece set of dice (for "emergencies"), break down combats I see in the media, correct people based on levels, and generally work 3.5 into my daily life. I need a less consuming hobby.

Serpentine
2010-01-08, 01:32 AM
Mostly always thinking about alignments and stats of people/characters/situations.

bosssmiley
2010-01-08, 07:04 AM

Neutral Evil, of course. :smallwink:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/103114113_8618f9775a_o.jpg

D&D is the reason I did a History degree. It is also the reason that my reflexive reaction to emergency service personnel is "loot grabbers!"

Eldan
2010-01-08, 07:38 AM
I don't generally let it interfere in my "normal" life.

Unless you count me spending about an hour a day thinking of the benefits of having permanent spells cast on myself or what spells I could use in everyday activities.

"Oh, this would be so much easier if I had a permanent Owl's Wisdom."

"Man, I wish I could just cast teleport. Then I wouldn't be stuck in this gods-forsaken traffic!"

"Man, I sure could use an Tenser's floating disk right about now."

Just things like that...:smallwink:

Whenever studying time before exams comes round, I find myself wishing for Silence and Scholar's Touch.

Lioness
2010-01-08, 07:47 AM
Neutral Evil, of course. :smallwink:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/103114113_8618f9775a_o.jpg

Waaah!

That is sort of really creepy...

+1 for the FB groups...if you guys make one, I'll join it.

In real life, I'm a human ranger. A pretty bad one though...no str, little dex (or perhaps just flaw: clumsy), relatively good con, though I'm sick atm.

quiet1mi
2010-01-08, 12:48 PM
I view myself as Lawful good and use the description when I do not know what is the right thing to do....

Do I help my friend cheat on a test so he can pass a class.

No because cheating is wrong, it denies him the opportunity of failure. To help him cheat would cheat anyone who worked hard for their grade.

However I would gladly go over the test with him after he took it. In addition I would tutor him.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-08, 01:10 PM
The one stat I can never quite figure out for me is Dexterity.

I'm horribly clumsy, but I'm absolutely pro at Hide and Go Seek.

The way I view it is that I'm trained in Stealth with a -1 Dex mod. Does that sound accurate?

Vorpalbob
2010-01-08, 01:31 PM
Okay, that is IT! I, Vorpalbob, am personally starting the "PC= Player Character before Personal Computer Club"! Anyone can join. Just put this in your sig;

Proud Member of the 'PC= Player Character before Personal Computer' Club!

Also, Lioness, can we put your PC dying bit in the sig?

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 01:41 PM
My PC and I will hop on my PC and join your PC organization.

randomhero00
2010-01-08, 01:43 PM
My favorite is guessing cheesy action hero characters from scyfy tv movies.

Lioness
2010-01-08, 05:12 PM
Okay, that is IT! I, Vorpalbob, am personally starting the "PC= Player Character before Personal Computer Club"! Anyone can join. Just put this in your sig;

Proud Member of the 'PC= Player Character before Personal Computer' Club!

Also, Lioness, can we put your PC dying bit in the sig?

Sure ^_^

I'm joining the club too

JadedDM
2010-01-08, 05:35 PM
I regularly refer to myself as Lawful Good. My D&D-oriented friends call me that, too, but usually they mean it to be a bad thing.

I will sometimes also use die terminology when referring to random numbers. Like instead of saying, "I usually work with one to six people on the weekends" I would say, "I usually work with 1d6 people on the weekends."

Nate the Snake
2010-01-08, 05:45 PM
The one stat I can never quite figure out for me is Dexterity.

I'm horribly clumsy, but I'm absolutely pro at Hide and Go Seek.

The way I view it is that I'm trained in Stealth with a -1 Dex mod. Does that sound accurate?

My first thought was "You add your Intelligence modifier to Hide checks instead of Dexterity," which I think constitutes D&D-affected perception of everyday life on my part. :smallamused: Your explanation makes sense too, though.

In my case, it's not so much that I put real life in D&D terms, but that I do it without having actually played a game (I've only read the books). It's mostly semi-intentional references to failed/successful skill checks, but still, I have no playing experience to justify it. :smallfrown:

Eldan
2010-01-08, 05:49 PM
My favorite is guessing cheesy action hero characters from scyfy tv movies.

Reminds me of a little game we did a few times...

Material necessary: 1 movie advertised as having a HUGE surprise at the end, like, totally unexpected, man! One envelope, one sheet of paper and pen per person.

Watch movie to approximately 30 minutes to the end. Pause. Write down your guess as to what the surprise will be. Sign with your name. Put in envelope. Finish movie. Compare guesses.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-08, 05:51 PM
I tell ya, it makes movie-watching un-joyable. :/ Because I'll constantly analyze the characters.

But then, I'm just that kind of person. I took band in school for six years, and now can't even listen to music without trying to find the time signature.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 06:09 PM
Anyone ever wonder how much xp various people would be worth, or what CR encounter they would be?

Well, you will now.

Idlewyld
2010-01-08, 06:48 PM
After reading the posts on this thread, I finally failed my will save and joined the GITP forums.

I generally say things things Like "I failed my spot/listen check", "rolled a 1", or "rolled a nat 20" during everyday situations, oh, and "failed my fort/ref/will save", and often refer to people's str and cha on a 3-18 scale.

Acero
2010-01-08, 06:58 PM
it introduced 'failing a spot check' into my vocabulary

AslanCross
2010-01-08, 07:18 PM
I catch myself thinking, at odd times throughout the day, how cool it would be if psionics were real. Like Push on steroids.

When I was watching Push, I was thinking "Well, someone read the XPH while putting this movie together."

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 07:19 PM
Man, I wish vancian magic was real. I'd abuse the heck out of it.

Rasman
2010-01-08, 07:35 PM
Sometimes I catch myself doing it and sometimes it's on purpose, but we'll say stuff like, "Are you sure, you should roll on that to make sure," and other stupid stuff. Especially the inside jokes from sessions like, "He's wearing a monicle, ask HIM to train you," or "I wish I had a Tree Arrow"

drengnikrafe
2010-01-08, 08:09 PM
Anyone ever wonder how much xp various people would be worth, or what CR encounter they would be?

Well, you will now.

I just remembered that I once squished a fine catterpillar, and declared myself 30 exp richer.

Also, I only refer to things by their proper size categories. I have literally become incapable of using the word "dimunitive", "fine" or "tiny" without it refering to the proper size category. I also correct people when they describe something as the wrong size category. I imagine it comes off as a bit annoying.

Also, when watching previews for a new movie related in any way to superpowers or superhuman activities, I try to figure out which spells they ripped off to make it.

Shadowbane
2010-01-08, 08:16 PM
I occasionally say things like, "Wow, that was really Chaotic of me!"

Never do I say "Wow, that was really lawful of me!"

Grommen
2010-01-08, 09:29 PM
I pray at times to various Faerunian deities. I've been known, on rare occasion, to actively invoke Beshaba on other people. Sometimes, when no one's watching, I'll flip a dime over my shoulder and toss a prayer to Tymora. I've gone on a 15 minute rant about how Akadi personally hates me before. :smalleek: And these are just the ones I can recall! I know I've prayed to Talos before working on electricals in a house before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymora

Quite often the gods in the D&D pantheon are biased on an old world deity. Careful what thy prays for, ye might be heard :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2010-01-08, 09:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymora

Quite often the gods in the D&D pantheon are biased on an old world deity. Careful what thy prays for, ye might be heard :smallbiggrin:
Oh yes, I know all about Tyche and her being the patron of the destiny of Greek cities. :smallwink: Lucky me, I'm not a Greek city! Just another way Tymora looks out for her faithful.

Though, interesting reading anyhow. Cool stuff, yeah?

Lioness
2010-01-08, 11:10 PM
I often hear '46' as '4d6'

Lioness
2010-01-11, 06:52 AM
And I found another one.

Whilst watching Sherlock Holmes I heard the phrase, 'Does your depravity know no bounds!?' and thought 'Well, it's gotta have some kind of limit. Otherwise he'd die. Unless he's got some sort of feat that allows him unlimited depravity...hmm...'

paddyfool
2010-01-11, 07:55 AM
Not D&D, but gaming all the same. Yesterday, while at a concert with some really immersive chamber music that left me feeling creeped out in a similar way to, say, Dark Knight (and this in a brightly lit concert hall rather than a dark cinema), I couldn't quite stem the distracting thought that it would be perfect for a Call of Cthulhu session. That or an animated short film a la Disney's Fantasia but a tad darker, portraying some story or other of Mr H.P. Lovecraft, either without words or with passages of his lugubrious prose in subtitles. Concert details were as follows, for those that are interested:

Borodin Quartet
Oleg Maisenberg piano
Shostakovich String Quartet No. 11 in F minor Op. 122
Schnittke Piano Quintet
The Borodin Quartet demonstrates once more its identification with the quartets of
Shostakovich, with this performance of the elegiac and enigmatic Eleventh Quartet.
The Quartet is then joined by Odessa-born pianist Oleg Maisenberg for Schnittke’s stark
Quintet, possibly written as a homage to Shostakovich, who died during its composition.

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 08:08 AM
And I found another one.

Whilst watching Sherlock Holmes I heard the phrase, 'Does your depravity know no bounds!?' and thought 'Well, it's gotta have some kind of limit. Otherwise he'd die. Unless he's got some sort of feat that allows him unlimited depravity...hmm...'

Think that's bad?

Anyone remember the DnD cartoon from back in the day? Or the DnD movie from the mid-to-late-nineties?

I watched those again the other day, and quite frequently said to myself (since my wife wouldn't understand), "Can't do that," or, "So much wrong with that character's build."

Lioness
2010-01-11, 08:11 AM
Think that's bad?

Anyone remember the DnD cartoon from back in the day? Or the DnD movie from the mid-to-late-nineties?

I watched those again the other day, and quite frequently said to myself (since my wife wouldn't understand), "Can't do that," or, "So much wrong with that character's build."

I'm too scared to watch the D&D movie. I've heard so many bad things.

Optimystik
2010-01-11, 08:16 AM
Think that's bad?

The D&D Cartoon has a sourcebook - The Animated Series Handbook, where all the main characters (and Venger) are statted out, including their signature items. Their builds aren't too bad. Nothing in there for Dungeon Master and Tiamat though.

As for the movie, there was no D&D movie. Certainly not with any Wayans Brothers in it. Move along, citizen.

dsmiles
2010-01-11, 08:18 AM
I'm too scared to watch the D&D movie. I've heard so many bad things.

It's like a train wreck...you can't help but look and be horrified...:smalleek:

EDIT: @Optimystik: where can I find said sourcebook?