PDA

View Full Version : My character is blind (D&D 3.5)

soir8
2010-01-07, 10:19 AM
Pretty much entirely for flavour reasons. He relies on a blindfold of true darkness to "see". But it's still occasionally awkward only being able to discern things within 60ft, despite the huge upsides of not having to make spot or listen checks most of the time.

Anyone know any ways I could get at least blindsense or tremor sense up to a higher range?

satorian
2010-01-07, 10:26 AM
What class and level are you? I assume you can't use it, but Shapechange will obviously do the trick :). But my point is people need more info to help you.

soir8
2010-01-07, 11:09 AM
Scout 5/Fighter 2/ Ghost-Faced Killer 10

Zom B
2010-01-07, 11:42 AM
Need some inspiration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toph_Bei_Fong)?

You could go with some sort of agreement with the DM. You can get tremorsense for free, for the tradeoff that you can never see again, even with magic regenerative effects. Even resurrecting you from one of your fingernails with True Resurrection results in a blind man.

dsmiles
2010-01-07, 11:50 AM
Check the Tome of Madness (Book of Madness?). You know, the one with the Illithid on the cover...it's all black and creepy...has all the abberant feats in it. I think there's an abberant feat that gives blindsense or something. I know there's one that gives darkvision...AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!I CAN'T REMEMBER!!!!!!!!:smallfurious:

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 11:59 AM
Check the Tome of Madness (Book of Madness?). You know, the one with the Illithid on the cover...it's all black and creepy...has all the abberant feats in it. I think there's an abberant feat that gives blindsense or something. I know there's one that gives darkvision...AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!I CAN'T REMEMBER!!!!!!!!:smallfurious:
Lords of Madness. There is no feat there that gives blindsense iirc though.

Weezer
2010-01-07, 12:02 PM
The feat your thinking of is deformity(tongue) from Heroes of Horror, gives blindsense 30ft but has evil and willing deformity as prereq's. Its kind of redundant seeing that the OP has a blindfold that serves the same purpose.

dsmiles
2010-01-07, 12:06 PM
The feat your thinking of is deformity(tongue) from Heroes of Horror, gives blindsense 30ft but has evil and willing deformity as prereq's. Its kind of redundant seeing that the OP has a blindfold that serves the same purpose.

Yeah, that's the one. My bad, yo.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-07, 12:07 PM
Divine section of the SRD has a feat that gives 5 ft Blindsight iirc.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-07, 12:19 PM

You would be correct. There is one, however, that allows you to hide from things with Blindsight.

That would be interesting really; a blind man who uses Blindsight and can't see himself because of Darkstalker.

Dimers
2010-01-07, 12:51 PM
Anyone know any ways I could get at least blindsense or tremor sense up to a higher range?

There's a psi power called touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) that gives you a perfect mental map within 60 feet. It's between blindsense and true seeing in capability (e.g. ignores concealment). The size of the field can be augmented, with a higher manifester level. I realize your character can't use this power himself, but maybe you could have someone craft an item for you. That'd work best if the DM agrees that the item can be improved like magic weapons and armor can, so you can raise the manifester level (and therefore the power's range) when you have more money.

dsmiles
2010-01-07, 12:55 PM
You would be correct. There is one, however, that allows you to hide from things with Blindsight.

That would be interesting really; a blind man who uses Blindsight and can't see himself because of Darkstalker.

Wish I could do this...:smalltongue:

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 12:57 PM

That's... hilarious.

Eldariel
2010-01-07, 01:11 PM
I'll just point out that by Epic Listen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#listen)-rules, simple high Listen is about as good as Blindsense, and doesn't have a maximum distance (though you gotta deal with the penalties). That'd be my immediate solution; pumping Listen silly.

Ernir
2010-01-07, 01:24 PM

It does have Mindsight, though. Which is pretty awesome if you happen to be telepathic.

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 01:25 PM
It does have Mindsight, though. Which is pretty awesome if you happen to be telepathic.he's got too many levels to invest in the usual mindbender +mindsight trick, sadly.

Lysander
2010-01-07, 01:46 PM
Take Leadership, get a cohort with a high spot check, have him point things out to you that are far away.