PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Anything similar to a scout?

Choco
2010-01-07, 10:21 AM
I haven't acquired all the 4th edition books yet, but I was just wondering if there has been any class released yet that is similar to the 3.5e Scout. Or if not, what would be the best build for one of the existing classes to replicate the basic flavor of the scout. So far I am leaning towards rogue...

Djibriel
2010-01-07, 10:33 AM
What defines a Scout? Mobility, keen senses, possible Nature-related training. Mobility is a built-in thing for most Strikers, keen senses and outdoor survival are nothing but two skills.

Rogues are quick to react, have the Perception, Nature can be grabbed with a Background. Avengers are very mobile, are chasers by nature and use Wis primarily, which helps with the awareness. The Divine flavor may be distracting to you, though.

Choco
2010-01-07, 10:37 AM
Well, fluff-wise a scout is really just a rogue that focuses on mobility, his sneak attack variant kicks in whenever he moves X distance in a round, movement speed is boosted via class abilities, gets nature and stealth boosts, etc. Almost like a rogue/ranger hybrid really.

Artanis
2010-01-07, 11:01 AM
The Ranger is generally accepted to be the closest you're going to get to a Scout.

Evard
2010-01-07, 11:02 AM
There is the Seeker also, a primal ranged controller

valadil
2010-01-07, 11:04 AM
From what I've seen*, a barbarian will be pretty similar. What I liked about scouts was that they were mobile warriors. They moved around and got bonuses to damage. Barbarians do that in reverse but the effect is the same. Barbarians get extra movement or attacks when they hit stuff. And they even keep the naturey fluff.

* Note that I haven't actually played a barbarian or looked at their abilities. This is what I've seen a couple barbarians do in LFR.

Artanis
2010-01-07, 11:06 AM
From what I've seen*, a barbarian will be pretty similar. What I liked about scouts was that they were mobile warriors. They moved around and got bonuses to damage. Barbarians do that in reverse but the effect is the same. Barbarians get extra movement or attacks when they hit stuff. And they even keep the naturey fluff.

* Note that I haven't actually played a barbarian or looked at their abilities. This is what I've seen a couple barbarians do in LFR.

Barbarians don't get ranged weapons.

Choco
2010-01-07, 11:06 AM
Yeah, looking through the book now that is true. Guess the scout is going to be converted into a ranger. It's only a lvl 2 character anyway, not like he loses anything big.

Djibriel
2010-01-07, 11:12 AM
Precision damage that triggers with movement is very 3.5-specific for a Scout, which is a party role taken long before the base class came out. But you're right,

Come to think of it, precision damage doesn't exist in 4.0, just bonus damage. The Ranger gets all the things you want; great Perception, Nature, bonus damage, mobility.

Evard
2010-01-07, 11:12 AM

Wait they took halflings out of dnd? XD

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 11:15 AM
Hurl Weapon/Improvised Missile beg to differ.

Artanis
2010-01-07, 11:21 AM
Hurl Weapon/Improvised Missile beg to differ.

My apologies, I should've said that they effectively don't get ranged weapons because they don't get proficiency and would have pretty much squat to use them on even if they did.

valadil
2010-01-07, 11:26 AM

I guess I'd only ever seen melee scouts now that I think about it.

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 11:31 AM
My apologies, I should've said that they effectively don't get ranged weapons because they don't get proficiency and would have pretty much squat to use them on even if they did.
Well they do get to charge and do fun stuff on charges, and that's almost like being ranged, but I agree in spirit, without any real ranged powers, you're stuck simply taking a basic attack at range. Not really great as a primary striker.

Evard
2010-01-07, 11:33 AM
It's been a while since I've seen a barbarian throw a halfling sorcerer :3 To bad the 4e system frowns upon that...

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 11:37 AM
It's been a while since I've seen a barbarian throw a halfling sorcerer :3 To bad the 4e system frowns upon that...Well you could probably initiate a grab and then use them as an improvised weapon... not RAW of course and your DM probably wouldn't allow you to use monsters like that but... :smalltongue:

Hal
2010-01-07, 12:38 PM
Rogue isn't a bad choice as a Scout substitute. I could see this working one of two ways:

1) Switch precision damage in place of the Rogue's sneak attack. (That is, instead of the extra damage from having CA, get the extra damage from moving before striking.)

2) Make Scout a paragon path for the Rogue, with the added benefit of getting sneak attack damage if you have CA or if you move so much before attacking.

Pick your preference. I'm a fan of refluffing/making minor substitutions in 4e; the power system works well for that.

Mando Knight
2010-01-07, 01:02 PM
and would have pretty much squat to use them on even if they did.

Gnomes and Halflings are in the PHBs last time I checked. :smallwink:

Anyway, in the transition to 4e, the Ranger killed the Scout and took his stuff, like any good munchkin-y class would. Either that, or the Scout is wearing the Ranger's hat and nametag...

Dimers
2010-01-07, 01:07 PM
I guess I'd only ever seen melee scouts now that I think about it.

That's 'cause melee can easily be powered-up in 3.5, and there are fewer options for ranged. I really liked the idea of a scout/order-of-the-bow -- lots of damage, anywhere you can aim, once per round -- but compared to most combat builds, it's poorly optimized.

DSCrankshaw
2010-01-07, 01:46 PM
Anyway, in the transition to 4e, the Ranger killed the Scout and took his stuff, like any good munchkin-y class would. Either that, or the Scout is wearing the Ranger's hat and nametag...

Well... I did notice that the ranger no longer had spells or an animal companion (before MP). Not to mention that he's Martial rather than Primal, like you'd expect. So it may be more the latter than the former.

Kylarra
2010-01-07, 02:33 PM
The funny thing about the ranger is that unless you're planning on going to the battlefield archer PrC, your ranger archers are better off being beastmasters or twf's, as far as the particular ranger paths go.

Evard
2010-01-07, 03:11 PM
Assasin is another one that could be a nice substitute for the scout, they get extra damage (although not based on movement) and they are sneaky.

DragonBaneDM
2010-01-07, 03:56 PM
Maybe you could rework Hunter's Quarry into something that acts more like Skirmish with your DM.