PDA

View Full Version : 3.5: New DM seeking advice

Zaenos
2010-01-07, 02:30 PM
So I'm taking my first steps into the wonderful world of DMing and I have a few unrelated questions on what I'm doing.

1. I'm building my NPCs like PCs. Is this a problem?
I've been PCs for years, but this is my first foray into D&D NPCs. Conciquencially, I'm building my 'important' NPCs the way a PC would be created, using the same rules, limitations, classes, and money allotment that a PC of their level would have. Is this how NPCs usually work? What are the pros and cons of doing this if not?

2. Is it wrong to have NPC enemies 'too appropriately equipped'?
The NPCs I've designed so far come equiped with items that very well suit their positions, environments, and combat styles. Considering that PCs don't always find exactly what they need or want, is it a bad idea to do this?

3. Is this Draconic Claw trick viable?
One of my NPC "villains" is a dragonblood sorcerer with the Draconic Claw feat. I've considered him using guerilla tactics with the Invisibility spell and these claws, sneaking up on opponents invisible with a stored touch spell. Once adjacent to them, he'd begin casting another Invisibility spell on himself, using the Draconic Claw feat to make a swift attack while casting and thus releasing the touch spell (making him visible). He'd then finish casting Invisibility and disappear again. Is this a valid use of the rules or is this twisting them a bit? Would you say this would allow him to avoid attacks of oppurtunity considering he'd only be visible for an instant?
EDIT: If it helps, here's the line in question (from Dragon Magic p.102): "In any round when you cast a spell with a casting time of 1 standard action, you can make a single claw attack at your full attack bonus against as a swift action against an opponent you threaten."

4. Bull rushing into walls or creatures?
That same NPC has the Melf's Unicorn Arrow spell, which comes loaded with a built-in bull rush. Thinking about this character's tactics, I realized that there are no rules I can find that cover what happens if someone is bull rushed into a wall or another creature. Am I just overlooking them?
If not, I was considering a bull rush into a wall dealing some 1d4 or 1d6 damage, perhaps per 5ft left to push when they hit the wall, and/or dazing them.
Bull rishing into another character would be a balance check for each to remain standing. If they succeed, the second creature makes a roll to resist the bull rish that is added to the original 'bull rushee''s roll. Success stops the bull rusher, failure and they both get pushed.
Does this sound fair? Are there some rules I'm just overlooking?

Thank you! :)

valadil
2010-01-07, 02:50 PM
So I'm taking my first steps into the wonderful world of DMing and I have a few unrelated questions on what I'm doing.

That same NPC has the Melf's Unicorn Arrow spell, which comes loaded with a built-in bull rush. Thinking about this character's tactics, I realized that there are no rules I can find that cover what happens if someone is bull rushed into a wall or another creature. Am I just overlooking them?
If not, I was considering a bull rush into a wall dealing some 1d4 or 1d6 damage, perhaps per 5ft left to push when they hit the wall, and/or dazing them.
Bull rishing into another character would be a balance check for each to remain standing. If they succeed, the second creature makes a roll to resist the bull rish that is added to the original 'bull rushee''s roll. Success stops the bull rusher, failure and they both get pushed.

1. Not a problem unless you're using 4e. You can probably save some time by cutting corners though. For instance I usually write a list of skills that the character maxed out instead of figuring out where every last point went.

2. I don't think this will put your PCs in any great danger. The biggest problem I've found with this is that the PCs can end up with a lot of decent loot. Even if all they do is sell it they may end up above WBL.

3. Dunno, omitted.

4. Unicorn Arrow does pretty good damage already IIRC. I don't think it needs more. Also, I think being shoved 5 feet into a wall is going to be quite a bit less painful than dropping 10 feet. d4 is only 1 less damage than d6. The most damage I could justify for this would be d4 non lethal.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-07, 02:51 PM

I've been PCs for years, but this is my first foray into D&D NPCs. Conciquencially, I'm building my 'important' NPCs the way a PC would be created, using the same rules, limitations, classes, and money allotment that a PC of their level would have. Is this how NPCs usually work? What are the pros and cons of doing this if not?
That's sort of how you're expected to make NPCs. There is a different table for their wealth, however - but you are the DM and can choose to give more cash to your NPCs.

It will, however, save you time and space to record only the most important stats for the cannon-fodder mooks in your game.

The NPCs I've designed so far come equiped with items that very well suit their positions, environments, and combat styles. Considering that PCs don't always find exactly what they need or want, is it a bad idea to do this?
Sure - Once your PCs defeat a few of these NPCs, they'll have lots of treasure to exchange or sell to suitably equip themselves...

Be careful with giving PC-level equipment, optimised for the build to your NPCs - many NPCs are there to be defeated (eventually), so remember your PCs will end up with that kit.
Never give an NPC something you don't want the party to have.

3. Is this Draconic Claws trick viable?
Don't know this - can't help you here. Sorry.

I don't think that d6 per 5 ft is fair on a bull rush - but a single 1d6+STR bonus or the rusher's slam attack (whichever is greater) would be reasonable.
Rushing someone into another foe could be resolved with a new Bull Rush against the new character.