PDA

View Full Version : [AD&D 2.0] Domination spell: Simultaneous uses?

Muz
2010-01-07, 02:34 PM
Here's a question for all the 2nd edition folks out there: Is there a limit to how many people one can Dominate (5th level wizard spell, Players Handbook) at one time? I know the spell's target is one person, but could you, with 10 separate castings, dominate 10 people? Or 20? Or 30?

Any official rules on the matter are welcome, but I don't know that there are any. How would YOU interpret it? (Or how have you interpreted it?) Any house rules?

Matthew
2010-01-07, 02:47 PM
The number of dominated subjects seems to be unlimited. Of course, compelling them to act in accordance with the will of the magician seems like it would be a potentially severe limitation on the spell, especially without direct sensory input from the subject.

Muz
2010-01-07, 03:12 PM
That seems to have quite a potential for abuse, given the duration of the spell itself is nearly a month for the average person, doesn't it?

Matthew
2010-01-07, 03:33 PM
That seems to have quite a potential for abuse, given the duration of the spell itself is nearly a month for the average person, doesn't it?

Well, I reckon it is impossible to dominate more than one person at the same time, since once you are no longer exerting your will on them, they are free to act or implore others to (probably against you). I would say charm person is probably more abusable on the whole.

Muz
2010-01-07, 04:04 PM
So if you dominate Person A, tell them to "walk to town X" and then before they're there, you dominate Person B and tell them to "walk to town Y," Person A will no longer feel a need to walk to town X until you flip your mental switch back to them and continue to drive?

...Cause that doesn't seem right, either. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Matthew
2010-01-07, 05:23 PM
So if you dominate Person A, tell them to "walk to town X" and then before they're there, you dominate Person B and tell them to "walk to town Y," Person A will no longer feel a need to walk to town X until you flip your mental switch back to them and continue to drive?

...Cause that doesn't seem right, either. Or am I misunderstanding your point?

I think it depends on the degree of control required. A domination spell is not a suggestion spell, the magician actually compels the individual to perform the actions, so his will would have to be constantly asserted to dominate the individual. Maybe he could dominate 100 people and force them all to move from point X to point Y, but could he dominate 100 people and have them effectively fight on his behalf? Depends on how much will you think is required for the magician to compel a particular action.