PDA

View Full Version : what year is it

Hatman
2010-01-07, 05:33 PM
im curious who beat eagle eye pete back in 1160
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0615.html
so i wanted to know if anyone had the current year so we could look back and see who'd be old enough.

my money is on haley's dad

Keris
2010-01-07, 05:45 PM
I believe the current comic year is 1184. According to the Unofficial Timeline, Haley was born in 1159, so Ian Starshine was almost certainly old enough to be competing with Pete in archery tournaments.

Hatman
2010-01-07, 06:33 PM
I believe the current comic year is 1184. According to the Unofficial Timeline, Haley was born in 1159, so Ian Starshine was almost certainly old enough to be competing with Pete in archery tournaments.

you mean to say that haley was born the year before pete had his only loss in that competition?

i smell a plot point :smallbiggrin:

TimelordSimone
2010-01-07, 07:14 PM
I believe the current comic year is 1184.

According to Therkla's headstone, this is indeed correct.

BatRobin
2010-01-07, 08:41 PM
According to Therkla's headstone, this is indeed correct.

It might be 1185.

Brendan
2010-01-07, 08:47 PM
I doubt it. remember in azure city when Elan said new years was only a few months ago?

CapedLuigiYoshi
2010-01-07, 08:49 PM
I doubt it. remember in azure city when Elan said new years was only a few months ago?

8 months, but that still means it's the same year.

Zevox
2010-01-07, 08:59 PM
It might be 1185.
Except for the whole "Belkar will die within the in-comic year" prophecy. Which, due to the comments in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html), we know is up within seven in-comic weeks. Makes it pretty darn unlikely that it's 1185, given the new year they celebrated in Azure City was 1184.

Zevox

silversaraph
2010-01-08, 10:13 AM
At first I though you were just asking randomly about the year, but wow, noticing the one silver trophy is uber-observant. Is there any evidence that Haley's dad was an archer?

factotum
2010-01-08, 10:25 AM
At first I though you were just asking randomly about the year, but wow, noticing the one silver trophy is uber-observant. Is there any evidence that Haley's dad was an archer?

Other than the fact she's one and perhaps got that from dear ol' dad, nope.

Ichneumon
2010-01-08, 10:59 AM
Other than the fact she's one and perhaps got that from dear ol' dad, nope.

You mean like how Roy's dad is a fighter too?

silversaraph
2010-01-08, 11:23 AM
You mean like how Roy's dad is a fighter too?

I guess, but Haley is probably in a much better relationship with her father. She's chaotic and greedy but still shells out her "beautiful children". I doubt Roy would even bother to do that. There was no love lost between them.

Kish
2010-01-08, 12:40 PM
I guess, but Haley is probably in a much better relationship with her father. She's chaotic and greedy but still shells out her "beautiful children". I doubt Roy would even bother to do that.
You mean, he'd dedicate his life to fulfilling his father's Blood Oath of Vengeance, but wouldn't spend money?

I agree that the evidence points to Haley having a substantially better relationship with Ian than Roy has with Eugene, but "Roy wouldn't do things for Eugene" is not the reason why.

Calemyr
2010-01-08, 01:07 PM
I dunno. Roy's not doing anything for dear ol' dad, he's doing everything because he has a job to do, and on top of that, it's a pretty important job as well. He actually takes an obecene amount of glee in knowing that he gets to go to heaven while his old man sits outside the gates stewing.

So no, I don't think he'd spent a corroded copper on his old man. Maybe out of the goodness of his heart, possibly, but not out of any family ties.

Zevox
2010-01-08, 01:14 PM
You mean, he'd dedicate his life to fulfilling his father's Blood Oath of Vengeance, but wouldn't spend money?
But he's not dedicating his life to fulfilling his father's Blood Oath of Vengeance anymore. He's fighting Xykon because of the threat he poses to the world. "If it weren't for the threat to the entire world, I would tell you to shove your "blood oath" against Xykon up your wrinkled incorporeal ass (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0293.html)," remember?

Zevox

Kish
2010-01-08, 01:24 PM
But he's not dedicating his life to fulfilling his father's Blood Oath of Vengeance anymore.
The operative word, if you wish to argue, as silversaraph and Calemyr apparently do, that Roy wouldn't do as much for Eugene as Haley is willing to do for Ian, being "anymore." Yes, now he's focused on stopping Xykon because Xykon needs stopping, but he got started on the quest to fulfill his father's Blood Oath of Vengeance.

Calemyr
2010-01-08, 02:24 PM
Actually, part of the point I was trying to make was that he took the job because it was his responsibility, not because it was his father asking. In spite of his sharp tongue and behavior with Elan, Roy is old school Lawful. He does his duty whether he wants to or not, and makes the world know it when he's not happy. Beyond that, he knew that if he didn't undertake the mission, it'd fall to his little sister, and that wasn't acceptable either. The old man can rot on his cloud, but this job needs to be done - for his sake, for his sister's sake, and for the whole freaking world's sake. Possibly even for his brother's sake, though we now know that was never at stake.

Yeah, he no longer even regards the vow as a motivation, but even when he did, the last reason on his list was always for dear ol' dad.

batsofchaos
2010-01-08, 02:28 PM
On The Origins of PCs shows even from the start Roy's reasons for fulfilling the blood oath were not so rosey colored.

He decided to fulfill it to show his dad up for not believing in him, which is hardly 'for' Eugene.

JonahFalcon
2010-01-08, 06:42 PM
It is the year ten thousand one-ninety-one.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-08, 09:24 PM
It is the year ten thousand one-ninety-one.

What are you, some kind of Kwisatz Haderach? :smallwink: