PDA

View Full Version : The Endless Dungeon - Robert III

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 08:16 PM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/Starting.jpg

You awaken in the center of a 10ft by 15ft room with stone walls, ceilings, and floors. A torch is burning on the wall behind you, while the other three walls have closed, metal doors with brackets allowing you to bar them from the inside. Unfortunately, only two metal rods are lying on the floor.

loser0ll
2010-01-08, 01:01 AM
I jam a bar through the South and East door and knock on the Northern door, calling out in Goblin "May I come in peacefully?"
(You advised us to go ahead and use what we'd learned from our first tries, right?)
Diplomacy
[roll0]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 07:52 PM
Absolutely!

You hear confusion on the other side, followed by some talking in another language(Draconic, if you know it). If you do know it, you can happily swap languages to match theirs, and keep the diplomacy roll.

loser0ll
2010-01-17, 04:48 AM
(Ick! I keep thinking of these things as Goblins - tiny, cannon fodder, etc... Okay, repeating the question in Draconic)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 09:58 AM
Cool, after some murmured discussion on the other side of the door, you hear a hesitant "Yes" in draconic.

OOC: Since you've got a closed door between you, you can take the full minute to avoid incurring the penalty for diplomacy as a standard action. Good call.

If you decide to enter after receiving this assurance, you see:

A 10ft wide room, 30 ft long, with another wooden door on the far side. In the room is four kobolds(F1, E1, E2, C2). The kobolds appear to be alert, and have their weapons at hand, but not overtly hostile. A small fire is flickering on the floor(D2).

http://travislerol.com/D&D/NorthDoor.jpg

loser0ll
2010-01-17, 07:47 PM
Robert III walks in, hands empty and at his side, with all weapons sheathed. Looking at the skittery Kobolds, he speaks calmly in Draconic. "I am Robert - I wish to escape this dungeon, but I'm sure there are many dangerous traps and monsters. Will you come with me, for a full share of all the loot we may find? I have the same ancient powers running through my vein that you do - I share your Dragon-blood. It gives me magic. We could be powerful together - defeat the bigger, physically stronger creatures that would normally boss us around out of jealousy. Take from them like they've taken from you." As he mentions his magical power, he slowly and peacefully casts a minor spell (using a 0-level spell, not picky about which one, just so that it shows the Sorcerer magic that a lot of settings have Kobolds being fond/proud of)

Diplomacy(leaving the Mod standard, since I'm not sure if I'll get any penalties/bonuses for things I said/did, race, etc...)
[roll0]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 08:23 PM
I believe discharging a prestidigitation nets a standard +2 to diplomacy or intimidate, in the right setting. Kobolds being fond of sorcs, this will qualify.

Now, they're all still at Unfriendly(your initial check bumped them up from hostile), so they'll take their opposed diplomacy rolls to meet or beat your 16.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Three of them are for the idea, but one of them stalwartly refuses to budge, pointing out that all sorts of nasty things likely await them out there, and claims that they're better off waiting in here for other kobolds to discover them.

loser0ll
2010-01-17, 08:47 PM
Robert III looks to the three who agreed with his idea. "He thinks that others will come - that someone will save him by fighting through all the things that he is afraid of, when he is too scared to fight them for his own survival. Come with me, and maybe when we've come back covered in the arms and armor taken from our fallen enemies, he'll be convinced that we have the power to escape - and that it would be a fool who depends on another to come to his rescue. Especially since I know for a fact that nobody will rescue us - before I was knocked unconscious and sent here, the mad-man who teleported me in warned that special wards kept outsiders coming to our aid. Who will come with me?"

Bluff check to bring on the remaining Kobold, trying to convince him that his hope of being rescued is foolish. Standard Modifier, not sure if it being plausible and having his friends on my side helps.
[roll0]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 08:52 PM
Heh, he can't even match that sense motive.

He listens, then nods. "I must stay here, and help guard our valuables, then, but if you three wish to adventure with this stranger, may Kurtlemak guide you all."

OOC: Yeah, you can retry diplomacy on him once you level...so if you do so with the aid of your new kobold buddies, you'll get pretty substantial bonuses via Aid Another, so coming back after slaughtering a bit is actually a pretty good idea.

Edit: Your three kobold buddies all have standard kobold gear and stats, see this post (http://travislerol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20) for the crunch on how followers work. You can of course, name the kobolds as you will to keep them straight.

loser0ll
2010-01-17, 09:10 PM
Robert nods, and takes his three new followers with him. If the Kobolds have no complain, I take the Cure Light Wounds potion in the chest to the north (assuming it's still here from last round), assuring them that the purpose is to make sure that neither I - or them - are left to die in an emergency. "Keep your spears out, and focus on using them most of the time. If anything attacks us, just keep yourselves in front of me - don't bother attacking unless I say to, just focus completely on defending yourself and holding it off, while I destroy it with my magic. Stay behind me until we find something, and when we do find something let me strike at it first - I have the power to breathe the breath of a Dragon, so don't get between me and the enemy until I do so." With everything ready, I cast Mage Armor and head to the south, sneaking silently to each door before bursting through suddenly to try and get the advantage (yes, I'll be taking extra care to sneak up to doors I know house enemies ^_^).

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 10:22 PM
There's another kobold in the chest room, so you'll need to diplomacy him if you want him to give it up.

loser0ll
2010-01-17, 10:34 PM
"I'd like for us to take the potion with us, so that if one of your brethren is hurt, and needs help immediately, he won't bleed to death before I can help him."
Diplomacy
[roll0]

loser0ll
2010-01-17, 10:35 PM
(Prestidigitation lasts an hour, so it's still in play, if that matters. If that still gives me the +2, and me being surrounded by fellow Kobolds gives me any bonus at all, then I get to Magic Number 25 on my Diplomacy - the perfect number. Hostile becomes Indifferent, and anything else now has a positive relationship with you me. I'm hoping the fact that I'm with Kobolds labels me as Unfriendly starting, but meh. Either way.)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-24, 10:32 AM
Start out with all as hostile(though you've gotten the kobolds with you to unfriendly). He can't match that opposed roll(I'm reading this as a convincing check, if that's right....There are two separate types of diplomacy roll, opposed checks to convince of something, and static checks to boost friendliness). You can definitely have the kobolds with you give you a +2 on checks to be friendly with other kobolds, btw.

He's convinced enough to poke open the door, and hand the potion of CLW out to one of the kobolds, with instructions to use it only if necessary for one of your little party.

loser0ll
2010-01-24, 12:02 PM
I say my thanks through the door. "I hope to return the favor one day. We'll return with good news."

Diplomacy to improve attitude, since the last one was to convince, if I understand the rules. Includes the +2 for having the Kobolds. I'm not sure if being able to turn the door different colors is enough to get the Prestidigitation bonus, or if he would have seen it when he handed over the potion, so I'm leaving that +2 out until told otherwise on this one.[roll0]

With this done, I head along the South wall, barring the door to the North now. I burst through each door that I've seen have enemies in it to try and get a surprise round, except for the one with the Kobold Sorcerer - when I reach him, I make a Diplomacy check through the door to be more friendly. (If I remember correctly, I have an encounter or two before that though.)

Tyndmyr
2010-01-29, 11:14 AM
Well, the hallway to the south is clear...you've got a doorway to the south, and a doorway to the east. Which do you select, and where are the kobold buddies in relation to you?

OOC note: I've got a lengthy post on exactly how diplomancy and minions work in the forum linked to in my sig. It's probably also referenced in the rules bit.

loser0ll
2010-01-29, 01:52 PM
I continue to the south - also, they're all following, each keeping at least 10 feet behind me.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-01, 12:14 AM
You unfortunately do not surprise to the south(good listen roll), but he doesn't have enough warning to ready an action, so it goes to init.

Sorrc: [roll0]

In the center of a 15ft square dark room, an lone kobold is standing, wearing nothing but a floppy cloth hat, which bears the word "Sorrc" on it. You also note another wooden door in the center of the east wall.

loser0ll
2010-02-01, 12:33 AM
My Initiative
[roll0]
Kobold 1
[roll1]
Kobold 2
[roll2]
Kobold 3
[roll3]

loser0ll
2010-02-01, 12:37 AM
Kobold at 20 moves behind the Sorcerer and hold his spear threatening, readying an action to interupt spellcasting. (I'll let you roll if he tries to attack anyways.)

Kobold at moves to flank with the 1st Kobold. He attacks if the Sorcerer didn't surrender, but holds an action to interupt spellcasting if the Sorcerer didn't attack.

On my turn - if he has acted with hostility, I draw my Longspear, move into attack position and attack.

The final Kobold attacks if the Sorcerer hasn't surrendered, and surrounds him further if he has.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-14, 10:18 PM
Getting them to threaten one of their own requires an opposed diplomacy check, since it's something they wouldn't normally do. At your discretion, you can roll them together or separate(feel free to roll both sides, these are bog standard kobolds).

Sorrc will cast no matter what, so if you beat the init 20 kobolds diplomacy roll, go ahead and make an AoO.

loser0ll
2010-02-15, 05:01 AM
My Diplomacy Roll, since if it's at least total of 19 or higher, they can't possibly beat me (and I have the higher Modifier by... a lot... in the case of a tie-breaker situation).
[roll0]

loser0ll
2010-02-15, 05:03 AM
First Kobold's Attack(Spear Charge)
[roll0]
Damage(Spear Charge)
[roll1]

First Kobold's Attack of Opportunity, if the Sorcerer Casts
[roll2]
Damage
[roll3]

loser0ll
2010-02-15, 05:08 AM
(I'm assuming that the 19 still hits like the last go-around, and that a guy with 1 level in a d4 HD class with a Racial penalty to Con doesn't have the 5+HP needed to still be going strong, so I'm going to go ahead and make my next action. We're all trying to work together to pull off binding his wounds before he bleeds to death - DC 15 Heal Check. I want to keep him alive for now at least. These are checks for myself and the Kobolds. Each set of --- represents a new turn, to keep track of how many HP he is down by when stabilized.)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
----------------
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
----------------
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

===EDIT===
(With success in the first turn, we head back, leaving him with the Kobolds who refused to come - I inform them that we needed to subdue him before he could attack out of shock at seeing a Human, but that he'll survive as long as they watch after him - I'm assuming they will, since the first one refused to leave saying they needed to wait for more Kobold's to come. With that finished, I head along South, following the same path I went through the last time around - I could be wrong, but I think the next encounter is a group of Zombies who were upset at how hard it was to get to my delicious brains last time around?)