PDA

View Full Version : a question about a name.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-07, 08:16 PM
In Morrowind There's a weapon called Chrysamare. In the wiki it says the name means "the Paladin's blade" is this what it actually means or is Chrysamere not from a real language so it means whatever the heck the game makers want it to mean?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Weapon_Artifacts#Long_Blades.2C_Two-Hand

SurlySeraph
2010-01-07, 08:42 PM
Every page I can find that mentions "Chrysamere" is either a username or about The Elder Scrolls. So it's pretty clearly not in a real language.

Temotei
2010-01-07, 08:43 PM
Ayleid language? Were the ayleids in Morrowind?

Dogmantra
2010-01-08, 03:12 AM
Probably not a real language. Most likely Daedric, and as if Daedric has any semblance of actual grammar, so yeah, they probably did just say that. The only Daedric I know is Molag Bal, meaning Fire Stone.

Kneenibble
2010-01-08, 03:24 AM
My knowledge of Greek is too small to pick out what the second element might mean, but it could definitely mean Golden Something. At first I thought Golden Hand, but that would be Mare, not Mere.

Chrysa- would be the romanization of χρυσα- which is how the word for gold χρυσος shows up in compounds.

Anyways, someone who has more than a term's worth of Greek could step in and figure out the second part: but it surely could mean something.

Icewalker
2010-01-08, 03:38 AM
Judging by the other comments here, I'd guess that it's a made up word with roots which are based on actual linguistic roots to make it sound more reasonable. Which is a good method for making up languages, or words in them.

llamamushroom
2010-01-08, 06:21 AM
Judging by the other comments here, I'd guess that it's a made up word with roots which are based on actual linguistic roots to make it sound more reasonable. Which is a good method for making up languages, or words in them.

A good method, to be sure. But anyone who knows a lot about the base language(s) immediately hates you. Fortunately, I'm not a language expert, but I've heard way too many Norse/Old English scholars dish out crap on Christopher Paolini to fully support this method.

Strawberries
2010-01-08, 06:41 AM
My knowledge of Greek is too small to pick out what the second element might mean, but it could definitely mean Golden Something. At first I thought Golden Hand, but that would be Mare, not Mere.

Chrysa- would be the romanization of χρυσα- which is how the word for gold χρυσος shows up in compounds.

Anyways, someone who has more than a term's worth of Greek could step in and figure out the second part: but it surely could mean something.

I looked in my Greek dicionary (ancient Greek only, I know nothing of modern Greek), but found no "mere" either with epsilon or eta (sorry I can't figure out how to show greek fonts), but "mare" means indeed hand.
"Golden Hand" is not an unreasonable name for a sword - better than "Golden thigh", which would be "meros-ou" (the male version of mere).

Kneenibble
2010-01-08, 03:31 PM
Thanks for checking, Strawberries. Hey do you think you could also check your dictionary for words that begin with alpha too? I was thinking the second word needed to begin with alpha or else it would be chrysEmere, or whatever the thematic vowel of second declension words happens to be. (Is it epsilon? or omicron? or what?) If it's *real* Greek, that is.

I think Golden Thigh is not at all a bad name for a sword. :smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-08, 03:43 PM
Now I just need to find a name that DOES mean Paladin's blade.:smallannoyed:

Telonius
2010-01-08, 04:11 PM

Durandal. It was the name of Roland's sword, and Roland was one of Charlemagne's Twelve Peers (the original paladins).

EDIT: "mere" is also an old English word for pool, lake, or still water. It comes from a Germanic word meaning "large body of water" or "ocean."

Compare to Latin "Mare" meaning "sea" (i.e. Mare Nostrum - "Our sea," the Mediterranean).

So, bastardization of Latin and Greek to mean "Golden Sea."

Strawberries
2010-01-08, 04:40 PM
Thanks for checking, Strawberries. Hey do you think you could also check your dictionary for words that begin with alpha too? I was thinking the second word needed to begin with alpha or else it would be chrysEmere, or whatever the thematic vowel of second declension words happens to be. (Is it epsilon? or omicron? or what?) If it's *real* Greek, that is.

I think Golden Thigh is not at all a bad name for a sword. :smallcool:

If it was Chryse Emera (or emere) it would mean Golden Day (also not a bad name for a sword) - no "amere" in my dictionary (unless you count amera-es which means irrigation ditch - ugh :smallyuk:)

No paladins in ancient Greece, but "blade" could be translated as Sifos-ou or Makaira-as, if it can be useful for you.

Kneenibble
2010-01-08, 05:05 PM
@^ I think I saw amere as an occasional variant spelling in one online dictionary I checked. Still, it's a stretch...

So, bastardization of Latin and Greek to mean "Golden Sea."

Heh... I think the other bastardizations we've mentioned that don't involve two languages are more likely. Golden Sea is a bit too... y'know, kinky for a paladin. :smallwink:

Kyuubi, you know, the entry you linked to doesn't say that Chrysamere means Paladin's Blade.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-08, 05:39 PM
yeah I just noticed that a little bit ago.:smallredface:

I also don't get why "Golden sea" is kinky:smallconfused:

So Durandal means "Paladin's blade"?

Prime32
2010-01-08, 05:48 PM
So Durandal means "Paladin's blade"?Durandal was a Paladin's Blade, along with Curtana.

Temotei
2010-01-10, 09:00 PM
Durandal was a Paladin's Blade, along with Curtana.

Indeed. Holy avenger?