PDA

View Full Version : Direct 3D promblems.

Raroy
2010-01-07, 08:31 PM
I have Directx, but my computer says I don't have Direct 3D. I've gotten several error messages with diffrent programs (related to gaming, of course) due to this. I have xp. I've downloaded the recent directx, yet it still does not recongize my Direct 3D. Help?

Demented
2010-01-07, 08:57 PM
Does it really say you don't have Direct 3D, or does it just give you a generic error?

Raroy
2010-01-07, 09:19 PM
It really says it can't run because I don't have Direct 3D. I use dosbox to run some older games, would that affect anything?

warty goblin
2010-01-07, 09:35 PM
You might have Direct3D disabled, particularly if you play older games. To fix this simply follow the following simple steps:

1) Go to Start-> Run.

2) Type in 'dxdiag' without qoutations, hit run.

3) This should open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. The first page displays useful system information, but we don't want that now.

4) Go to the Display tab.

5) In the middle of the window there should be some buttons. One of these, labeled Direct3D, enables or disables Direct3D. If it says enable, click it. If it says disable, than it currently is enabled and I really have no idea what your problem is.

Note: This is the procedure for XP. For Vista/ Windows 7 I imagine something more or less similar works.

Demented
2010-01-07, 09:38 PM
It really says it can't run because I don't have Direct 3D. I use dosbox to run some older games, would that affect anything?

It wouldn't affect anything you weren't running in dosbox. :smallconfused:

Raroy
2010-01-07, 10:13 PM
It says all of the directx Features are not available. There are no buttons to press except Test Direct draw (I tested it, it works). I'll go redownload DirectX then.

Edit: Ran some system checks. My computer is not very healthy :smallsigh:. I need to reboot. There go all my save files. :smallfrown:

Zovc
2010-01-08, 11:00 AM
Edit: Ran some system checks. My computer is not very healthy :smallsigh:. I need to reboot. There go all my save files. :smallfrown:

I'm curious as to what system checks were run, seeing as (the majority, I would imagine) sites that check your computer usually want to install 'virus protection' that usually is a virus.

If you're going to check your computer's health, I would recommend downloading and installing Spybot - Search & Destroy (http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html), it has detected every virus I've ever had. I say detected because it couldn't remove them. If Spybot can't seem to remove something (in other words, scan once, remove everything, then scan again), you probably have a virus.

Raroy
2010-01-08, 12:45 PM
I used some Microsoft program. It basically said my computer was broken. Didn't give me any viruses either.

MrPig
2010-01-08, 01:42 PM
"Broken" is quite broad. What exactly did it say was the problem?

Zovc
2010-01-08, 02:41 PM
"Broken" is quite broad. What exactly did it say was the problem?

Yeah, there was a reason I assumed it wasn't a legit virus scan. XD

Trixie
2010-01-08, 02:51 PM
And how exactly do you know it was from Microsoft?

...someone written this on the lid? :smallconfused:

Can we have name of this program?

Raroy
2010-01-08, 03:50 PM
Oh, it wasn't from Microsoft. Dang it, Curse you Driver Dectictive!

I must seem like a guilable eight year old.

Raroy
2010-01-08, 04:48 PM
Even after I hard rebooted, I still have viruses. Help?

Trixie
2010-01-08, 05:06 PM
Do you know how to burn a cd from ISO file?

Raroy
2010-01-08, 07:09 PM
Yes, that is very simple.

MrPig
2010-01-09, 03:00 AM
Your best right now is to run Spybot Search and Destroy (a free application) and see just how much malware there is on your computer. I would also recommend downloading AVG Free, whatever the latest version is, and running a complete scan. If there are still problems after, it might be best to format your drive and do a fresh OS install, after backing up whatever important data you may have.

Trixie
2010-01-09, 04:34 AM
Nope. These things won't do anything for him. If there's still one of the more persistent viruses, it will be cloaked as long as system runs. His best bet is to download

http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/?lng=en

Dr Web Live CD, boot computer from it, then scan his whole system (no hiding for anything when the OS is idle).