PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Intelligence

VestigeArcanist
2010-01-07, 09:03 PM
I am preparing to DM an evil campaign, and I am forming a reoccurring villain, a Wizard and his apprentice. The two of them have divergent goals, the Master is trying to accumulate all ancient and arcane lore, the apprentice is more out to achieve Ultimate Arcane Power (Read: Vaarsuvius). I am min/maxing the two of them as a precaution, these players are somewhat unpredictable and I don't what the PC's try to kill them off before the appropriate time.

Hence I Need to boost their Int as high as possible. The apprentice is potentially more powerful then the master, and he may betray him. The master is a High Elf, the apprentice a Grey Elf. at level 10, the make up is

Starting stat 18
Grey Elf + 2
Level + 2
Headband of Int +6
Gives a total 28 Intelligence, +9 modifier

Reviewing the BoVD (it is an evil campaign) variant rules permit possession of a fiend. so with a simple lesser planar binding, a small fiend is bound to service. If he possesses you under 'Ally', he will give you an additional +4 profane bonus to any one ability score. This is a whooping 32 Intelligence, or a +11 modifier to DC's.

Most people, normal players, would be contented with two wizards with such ungodly Intelligence scores, 30 and 32 respectively. I am not satisfied however. BoED gives celestial channeling as a 'good' counterpart to possession(pg. 23), where the PC or NPC becomes the physical manifestation of the celestial. Among other things, the player gains the Int, Wis, and Cha scores of the celestial channeled, -5. What celestial capable of being bound (6 HD or less) have a Intelligence greater then the base creatures +5 (27 intelligence or +8 modifier)? Or are there any other ways to boost Int that I have missed?

Brendan
2010-01-07, 09:17 PM
what about one of those int boosting books? a wish can up it by one, and cast an extended empowered fox's cunning every day.

Temotei
2010-01-07, 09:21 PM
what about one of those int boosting books? a wish can up it by one, and cast an extended empowered fox's cunning every day.

I thought wish could raise it by two. Maybe only Elminster could do that. :smallredface:

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-07, 09:39 PM
Wish, if cast within quick succession can give up to +5 inherent bonus to a stat. Personally, I'd rather blow a little cash on the books rather than the 25k XP on the Wishes.

Also, the BoVD should have some mushroom samba that boosts Int. Check the drugs section.

Bagelz
2010-01-07, 10:47 PM
and cast an extended empowered fox's cunning every day.
fox's cunning is an enhancement bonus, almost surely the same as the headband, so they would not stack.

you could spend the extra gold for uncustomary bonus (x2) and uncustomary slot (x1.5) since you can't wear two headbands, and int almost always takes up a head slot.
oh then put some restrictions on it, like only wizards can use it (-30% cost)
and you have a +4 luck bonus to in for 16k x 2.2 = 35.2k (a bit less than standard +6) or a +6 class bonus for 36x2.2 = 79.2k gold
that would stack with your existing item.

or use fox's cunning and use the head slot for 1.7 x cost
+5 inherent from a tome
+10-12 from items/fox's
+4 profane
it might possible to find some sort of improved familiars that add to int....

if you're worried about save dc's, there are other ways to increase that.

deuxhero
2010-01-07, 10:59 PM
No MIC says enchantment bonus to ability scores can be stacked for free.

Milskidasith
2010-01-07, 11:05 PM
No MIC says enchantment bonus to ability scores can be stacked for free.

These aren't enhancement bonuses. You can put enhancement bonuses to ability scores on any gear for free, but they still don't stack with Fox's Cunning. This is using an uncustomary bonus to Int, and I'm pretty sure that's not even really allowed by the rules (sure, you could do it as a DM, but ask yourself a question: do you want the party wizard to have that item, and would you give it to him if he crafted it in other circumstances? If not, it could cause problems with the party.)

Anyway, you could add templates (make sure they're necropolitan, lots of free immunities there), and get inherent bonuses to Int.

Or just have them take a cheesy PrC, those help with optimization more than a +1 or 2 to DCs.

deuxhero
2010-01-07, 11:10 PM
Anyways, wasn't there some spell called Owl's Insight that gives an inisght bonus to wis (not sure where it is from?). Call DM fiat and give him an INT verison (up to you if the PCs can loot his spellbook for it)

Dexam
2010-01-07, 11:45 PM
The third level of the Elf Paragon racial class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm) gives a +2 bonus to Int, but you would have to give up a caster level to get there.

VestigeArcanist
2010-01-08, 06:25 PM
Rule Number One of Min/Maxing: Thou shalt not give up caster levels. No, not even for that. (except Malconvoker, because Malconvoker rocks.) :smalltongue:

I will need to check out that Owl's insight. I didn't know that you could make items with bonuses other than enhancement. I worry about the DC's of the spells, but also the number of spells each day. But mainly is the premise of their order, which is basically the Sith's rule of Two, one master, one apprentice. One to embody power, one to crave it.

Their are some alterations of course, but the main point is that the apprentice MUST kill his master, then assume his mantle once he is able. This means that the apprentice must have the potential to become more powerful then his master. Once this potential is actualized, he destroys his master and becomes master himself, and must seek an apprentice who has the potential to overthrow him. As wizards, the simplest way to measure arcane power is by caster levels and by Intelligence. Spells in the spell book would matter, but they have Boccob's book of Ancient Lore, which has every spell in existence inside (see Complete Divine under relics). So caster level, Intelligence bonuses, feat and skill selection, and prestige class features. And Items which modify the above.

Any suggestions to boost Int or make a generalist wizard more powerful?

Eldariel
2010-01-08, 06:37 PM
Permanent Polymorph Any Object from scroll or such (cast twice if necessary)? On level 11, you could use White Ethergaunt [FF] as a form granting 27 base Int. With Polymorph or similars, maintaining any desired appearance is still easy. And since True Seeing sees through PAO too, if you Polymorph into yourself, True Seeing sees you in the same form that you reveal otherwise. Stack on that:
+6 stat
+2 levels
+3 age (physical stats are easily replaced by shapechanging magic anyways; use persistent spell and stuff to ensure it stays that way)
+4 possession

That leads to 42.

Of course, Inherent bonuses are available too; Planar Binding on a simple Efreet would get you 3 Wishes and Binding two would get you 6, allowing +5 Inherent bonus. Of course, that's dangerously close to certain infinite crap so I wouldn't use it, but hey, if you want to just pimp out Int... Well, you'd end up with 47 that way.

If you use some trickery and get a Words of Creation-Bard with Song of the Heart to Inspire Greatness in you while Polymorph Any Objecting (or if you argue that things can be transformed into things with more HD, which seems to be RAWish given the examples in the book), you could instead choose the form of Sarrukh [Serpent Kingdoms] for base 30 Int. This would give you 50 Int total if doing all that stuff. This could be done level 10 with Dominate Person, Leadership or similars too.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 07:43 PM
These aren't enhancement bonuses. You can put enhancement bonuses to ability scores on any gear for free, but they still don't stack with Fox's Cunning. This is using an uncustomary bonus to Int, and I'm pretty sure that's not even really allowed by the rules

It's not. The "uncustomary bonus" modifier used appears to be that of a bonus in an unusual slot. Yknow, a helmet of dexterity or something.

Still an enhancement bonus.

Age can boost mental skills higher, yknow.

VestigeArcanist
2010-01-09, 12:07 AM
I could, but that wouldn't be as much fun for the apprentice :smallamused: I can see the master being venerable and the apprentice being middle aged at least.

Power leech in the BoVD gives another option. For a 5th level spell and a spare dominated creature, you can absorb 1 ability point per round for 10 rounds, 20 rounds if it gets extended. You then gain the points absorbed as an enhancement bonus for 10 minutes per level, presumably doubled with extend spell. This will not stack with the headband, but it is a greater number, giving up to a +10 bonus (idea: dominate another wizard) for a three hours and 20 minutes with a cost of 1 point of wisdom drain a casting (break out the restoration spells).

So... 18 base + 2 racial + 2 levels + 4 possession (profane bonus) + 20 Power drain (enhancement bonus) = 46 Intelligence :smalleek:

This is without the addition to 'unorthodox' tactics of giving my villains access to spells and items unavailable to PC adventurers of the same level. See the recommended treasure per level. I am going to see if I can find this Owl's insight; rename it Fox's insight and give an additional insight bonus to my uber wizard villain.

I cannot seem to find any rules governing non-enhancement ability bonuses given by items (profane, sacred, perfection, insight, luck...?) And is there any luck on finding a somewhat intelligent celestial?

Reinboom
2010-01-09, 12:11 AM
This is without the addition to 'unorthodox' tactics of giving my villains access to spells and items unavailable to PC adventurers of the same level. See the recommended treasure per level. I am going to see if I can find this Owl's insight; rename it Fox's insight and give an additional insight bonus to my uber wizard villain.

Owl's Insight is from Spell Compendium, a Druid 5 spell, and gives an enhancement bonus.

Eldariel
2010-01-09, 12:15 AM
Owl's Insight is from Spell Compendium, a Druid 5 spell, and gives an enhancement bonus.

INSIGHT-bonus!