PDA

View Full Version : Thread Closed

kentma57
2010-01-07, 09:44 PM
I supose the title says it all but I will expand:
I currently playing a rogue 5/assassin 5 and I am trying to get into arcane trickster a problem I have encountered is that I need to be able to cast Mage Hand, any suggestions?

If you can suggest another PrC that provides casting progression for my assassin I would love to hear it.

New plan:
Rogue 5/Assassin 5/Unseen Seer 2/Ninja Spy 5/Unseen Seer 3

FirebirdFlying
2010-01-07, 10:00 PM
Spell Hand, from Complete Arcane, gives Mage Hand, Open/Close, Tenser’s Floating Disk as an SLA as a 1st level sorcerer 1/day.

V: A better way.

arguskos
2010-01-07, 10:01 PM
Convince your DM to let you take Mage Hand as an Assassin 1 spell.

kentma57
2010-01-07, 10:06 PM
Convince your DM to let you take Mage Hand as an Assassin 1 spell.

Definately on the list of things to try. Just need a back-up plan.

arguskos
2010-01-07, 10:13 PM
Firebird's Spell Hand is another good one.

deuxhero
2010-01-07, 10:31 PM
Runestaffs. While the spells aren't on your list, UMD is a class skill.

Or just grab a Hand of the Mage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handoftheMage) (if you need the slot for something else, add the enchantment to the hand of the mage, it only costs 450 gold more to stack them)

Bibliomancer
2010-01-07, 10:34 PM
Technically, if you only get mage hand as a SLA, your arcane trickster will only improve your assassin spellcasting (ditto for ninja spy, if it gives spell advancement), and assassin spellcasting tops out at level 10. Just something to keep in mind for this build.

Also, depending on how picky your DM is, a SLA might not count as being able to "cast" mage hand.

Eldariel
2010-01-07, 10:35 PM
Extra Spelling it for Assassin could work too. Magical Training [PGtF Regional] would definitely work, but is Faerun Regional feat and may thus be harder to get accepted. As a bonus, it'd get you two other level 0 spells and a bunch of castings of them (Prestidigation and Detect Magic are both quite excellent).

deuxhero
2010-01-07, 10:37 PM
I'm not exactly sure why you want into arcane trickster so bad though, straight Assassin trumps it in everyway compared to using it to advance sin casting (It's better for wizard casting though)

kentma57
2010-01-07, 10:43 PM
Technically, if you only get mage hand as a SLA, your arcane trickster will only improve your assassin spellcasting (ditto for ninja spy, if it gives spell advancement), and assassin spellcasting tops out at level 10. Just something to keep in mind for this build.

Ninja Spy does not give casting so I end up casting as Assassin 9(one spell short of maximum).

I'm not exactly sure why you want into arcane trickster so bad though, straight Assassin trumps it in everyway compared to using it to advance sin casting (It's better for wizard casting though)

Not realy about the same sneak attack, and AT has better abilities(considering I already have 5 levels of Assassin). Though I a looking for other PrC options right now.

EDIT: hmm... Exemplar 1(for hide) might be a nice little bonus, considering my characters main plan is to snipe from a hidden location. That or 'Order of the Bow Initiate', would cost me casting though...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-07, 11:08 PM
Spell hand is a legal way to enter AT, in CArc it says that if you have x SLA and the Prg Class ask for x spell and the sla mimics the spell is valid.

Darrin
2010-01-07, 11:51 PM
Unseen Seer (Complete Mage) is in many ways a better version of Arcane Trickster. Assassins also have at least two divination spells (detect poison and true strike), so as long as you have the skills, you can qualify without worrying about Spell Hand/Mage Hand.

kentma57
2010-01-08, 12:01 AM
Unseen Seer (Complete Mage) is in many ways a better version of Arcane Trickster. Assassins also have at least two divination spells (detect poison and true strike), so as long as you have the skills, you can qualify without worrying about Spell Hand/Mage Hand.

Going to take a look right now.

US:
-better base attack bonus, worse saves
-better general abilities
-best for 5 levels

AT:
-equal sneak attack damage
-excelent 1/day sneak attack ability
-best with 4 levels

now to think...

gorfnab
2010-01-08, 12:21 AM
Unseen Seer's Advanced Learning lets you pick up Hunter's Eye from PHBII for even more sneak attacking.

kentma57
2010-01-08, 12:37 AM
Unseen Seer's Advanced Learning lets you pick up Hunter's Eye from PHBII for even more sneak attacking.

Wow, if I remember to pick up 'Practiced Casting' once or twice, it's a second level spell, it specifies that it stack and there is no cap on extra dice...

I guess that makes up my mind.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 12:39 AM
Yeah, Unseen Seer is pretty nice stuff. That Advanced Learning bit is good times.

kentma57
2010-01-08, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all your help,
I'm closing(well as much as I can) the thread since the mage hand thing is gone, I might start a new one latter to talk about how this build could be changed to make it a better sniper.

Have a nice day. :smallbiggrin: