PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use your avatar as your avatar?

deuxhero
2010-01-07, 11:13 PM
See the tin? Read the tin.

For me I was struggling with making humans look decent in inkscape and went to finish Persona 3 and World Balance seemed like a simple enough thing to make (and more or less, it was).

The Extinguisher
2010-01-07, 11:17 PM
Because kitty cats are adorable.
And I am nothing if not adorable. :smallcool:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/FlameMasterAxel/cat-2.gif?t=1262924778

Lookit. Lookit that cat. Isn't that just so cute. Lookit that hat. Don't you just want to cuddle it forever.

Kallisti
2010-01-07, 11:18 PM
It's a picture of my character in the PbP that I first joined the forum to play in, and the first Custom Avatar I ever requested. I may replace it soon, though.

Sucrose
2010-01-07, 11:18 PM
Simple and functional. Also, obviously, related to my username.

Sneak
2010-01-07, 11:21 PM
Simple and functional. Also, obviously, related to my username.

What do cubes of salt have to do with sugar? :smallconfused:

As for my avatar, it's me. And yes, my eyes are even creepier in real life. Who needs irises or whites? Pupils are where it's at, man.

arguskos
Because I idolize Graz'zt, and am looking for an Iggwilv to my Graz'zt.
What? Why is everyone looking at me funny?

Eon
*Best GIR impersonation*
i made it my self

Partof1
2010-01-07, 11:29 PM
Awesomeness, basically. I have visions of awesomness, and this was the best one I could explain in words :smallbiggrin:

Blue Ghost
2010-01-07, 11:30 PM
My regular avatar is an illustration of my Playground persona, Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard. My current avatar is an alternate persona I made for Evil Twin Week, which I am reviving for the current theme week.

Jack Squat
2010-01-07, 11:32 PM
I made it back when I first started here, and it's basically just me. Don't wear Hawaiian shirts as much anymore though. I'd probably make a new one, but I'm lazy and feel this has become somewhat iconic.

Also, my laptop hates the drawing software I have, which would make doing a new one really difficult.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-07, 11:34 PM
I dunno. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

/Chumley's motto #3

Crimmy
2010-01-07, 11:35 PM
I use it because I made it.
Because of the ON FIRE!!! avatar week.
Because.

Tavar
2010-01-07, 11:36 PM
Cause Roku is awesome? I think that covers it.

Temotei
2010-01-07, 11:38 PM
I liked the idea, so I requested it. Teutonic Knight did wonderfully.

Evil twin week, you say?

The Extinguisher
2010-01-07, 11:40 PM
I dunno. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

/Chumley's motto #3

You're playing a bowed guitar, right?

Starscream
2010-01-07, 11:43 PM
My avatar is Deadpool. If you know who Deadpool is, that should be reason enough for you.

If you don't know who Deadpool is, what in blazes are you doing on the internet?!
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/131474/deadpool-shoryuken.jpg

Blue Ghost
2010-01-07, 11:48 PM
Evil twin week, you say?

Yes, that was a rather fun theme week (or rather, month) we had last March or April, as I recall. I think there's support for making it an annual event like Gender-Bent Week, but I'm not sure.

Pika...
2010-01-07, 11:51 PM
Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia.

Lookit. Lookit that cat. Isn't that just so cute. Lookit that hat. Don't you just want to cuddle it forever.

You just made me awwwwwww in real life. Nice work.

Szilard
2010-01-07, 11:57 PM
I recently got back to the playground and wanted an update on my avatar. Out of ideas, I went with the current theme week and had him cutting through fire. And by him, I mean the person I usually use in ABR comics, which also goes by my name, Szilard.

Pyrian
2010-01-07, 11:59 PM
As for my avatar, it's me.Same here. :smallconfused: Well, more so, really.

The Orange Zergling
2010-01-07, 11:59 PM
Primarily because of my name. A very long time ago I used to have a Town character who had a Zergling for an animal companion, though (in fact, that's why my name is what it is).

And because Zerg are badass.

Dvandemon
2010-01-08, 12:00 AM
I'm thinking of getting a demon, but now I'm just using whatever cool character I can think of

Watcher
2010-01-08, 12:01 AM
I like to play dwarven clerics, and they're the only things I can make on MSpaint. I probably have played a cleric that looks like my avatar sometime in my life...

Sucrose
2010-01-08, 12:04 AM
What do cubes of salt have to do with sugar? :smallconfused:

Cubes can be made of sugar, as well as salt. These are the former, rather than the latter. At least, according to Google Image Search. It is possible that I have been lied to.

Recaiden
2010-01-08, 12:07 AM
It's one of the characters I play here.

The ones that aren't my characters I use because Cleon, Thirsha, Gain Bijou, and Baldur's Gate are awesome.

And because Serpentine's echidna is just wonderful, and I really like echidnas. They rank just below wasps for me, but there were no wasp avatars available.

d13
2010-01-08, 12:09 AM
Because I randomized in the Default Avatar's section, and is what I got.

And I've always been too lazy to ask someone for a custom one :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-08, 12:09 AM
Because it wasn't working well as an end table.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-08, 12:10 AM
You just made me awwwwwww in real life. Nice work.

Then my work here is done. It's time for me to move on, to another forum that needs my help.

*theme music plays*

I'm like the Littlest Hobo except a lot cooler.

Assassin89
2010-01-08, 12:13 AM
I used to do some of my D&D characters, but since I do not have a half-elf bard drawn, I am currently using a stick figure version of myself.

Lappy9000
2010-01-08, 12:13 AM
Because it's awesome? Because The Neoclassic is an awesome artist?

Serpentine
2010-01-08, 12:17 AM
All the following are probably interconnected:
I love snakes.
I love half-human, half-X creatures.
It suits me.
It goes with my username.
Characters called Serpentine and/or half-dragon/snake type creatures are my standard fantasy/daydream "me".
This one in particular is because I like to stick with the same character regardless, and for Christmas. Though by the time anyone reads this, I'll probably have changed it to my normal one. Also I'll go do my On Fire Week version, even if it is late. Any suggestions?
Speaking of which, Reccles, did you get the finished red flame echidna?
****. I just banged my elbow. Frick it hurts.

Because it wasn't working well as an end table.BOOM BOOM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/17/basil_brush_narrowweb__300x422,0.jpg

Recaiden
2010-01-08, 12:21 AM
This one in particular is because I like to stick with the same character regardless, and for Christmas. Though by the time anyone reads this, I'll probably have changed it to my normal one. Also I'll go do my On Fire Week version, even if it is late. Any suggestions?
Speaking of which, Reccles, did you get the finished red flame echidna?
****. I just banged my elbow. Frick it hurts.

Yes, I did, and it's lovely. I just haven't used it yet.

Sorry about the elbow.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-08, 12:25 AM
Because it's awesome? Because The Neoclassic is an awesome artist?

Just out of curiosity, you were using an avatar by me at one point?

I mean, not that I fault you for changing :smallbiggrin: I was just curious.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-01-08, 12:34 AM
Because it's a stylized OotS version of me. DM, long hair, I actually own that cape, and wear it sometimes when I DM, my pi shirt used to be a sort of personal trademark (though it was really a hoodie, but that doesn't translate well), I own and use a machete, etc.

golentan
2010-01-08, 12:45 AM
Because it's an anthropomorphic version of my first body. And (in the current incarnation) because it's fun infiltrating a group of psycho-kill-the-filthy-xenos marines. And a close analog to my life.

They'd be shocked when I defected to the tau. Shocked, I tell you.

skywalker
2010-01-08, 12:53 AM
I made it back when I first started here, and it's basically just me. Don't wear Hawaiian shirts as much anymore though. I'd probably make a new one, but I'm lazy and feel this has become somewhat iconic.

So... a... more bland version of your current one?

See the tin? Read the tin.

Cuz, well... I'm really terrible at originality?

loopy
2010-01-08, 12:58 AM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs042.snc3/12937_214128941670_726881670_3652494_1375297_n.jpg

'Nuff said, really. :smallamused:

Plus it kinda ties into my nickname.

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-08, 01:04 AM
Kitteh Space Marines. 'Nuff Said.

I really like kitties. My second, third, fourth, and current avatar were and are all kitties.

My current one is because of the upcoming Warhammer 40k week.

Which reminds me...

*runs away to make avvie*

Icewalker
2010-01-08, 01:08 AM
Used to be "cause it's awesome" for my old avvies. Man, I can't remember what my first long term avvie was. I had a zealot for a long time, then Jubal Early for a while (might've been the other way around?)...now it's Kairos, my character from a series of books I'm writing with a friend, and feels warranted. I've decided that all my avatars in the future, more or less, will be relevant to the Aviary books, so for now, I'm Kairos. Cave swiftlet.

someonenonotyou
2010-01-08, 01:12 AM
i dont know i just drew a crappy avatar since my old one was killed in abr and i wanted to join again (which i never did) so i quickly drew one and then slowly came up with one of my many stories (and my personal favorite) then i just kept with him ad use him for everything now:smallbiggrin: he my favorite and suits me the best

Trog
2010-01-08, 01:23 AM
I had made the original Trog in OotS style as a paper counter for a DnD game I was planning to run after I had read that Rich originally began using stick figures for the same reason (before the comic) and I thought it sounded like a fun project to do on my own. Later, when I decided to join the forums, I needed an avatar so I decided I liked the Troglodyte one I made the best out of the ones I had and so I registered as Trog.

Original Avatar:
http://home.centurytel.net/jeffsjunk/avatars/Trog.gif

My current version of Trog was done for the winter. I wanted to have a Christmas-y version of him but decided that I'd get more mileage out of a winter one. Also he is done in Sinfest style not OotS.

Jacklu
2010-01-08, 01:46 AM
My current avatar perfectly reflects my personality and mood. It is a clever nod to what brings me happiness and how I feel about my place in the world. Yep, it sums me up quite nicely.

golentan
2010-01-08, 01:51 AM
My current avatar perfectly reflects my personality and mood. It is a clever nod to what brings me happiness and how I feel about my place in the world. Yep, it sums me up quite nicely.

*Hugs jacklu.*

Feel better. Please?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-08, 02:15 AM
*Hugs jacklu.*

Feel better. Please?

same.:smallfrown:

Dogmantra
2010-01-08, 03:19 AM
I had just learnt how to make avatars in Paint. My first one was actually sort of alright. For some practice, I decided to make a Half-Orc Barbarian. I sat down, drew all the outlines, added Half-Orc features, then suddenly gave him a tie. Then I gave him glasses. I finished it off with a lightsabre, because what self-respecting nerd doesn't own a replica lightsabre? I fell in love with the character, and he has managed to go on to have four iterations, all different stylisticly (from left to right in my signature, the styles are: terrible, mildly less terrible plus shoulders, something bugs me and completely departed from OotS style). He has got progressively younger as the styles have moved on, owns a giant pencil and sleeps with a doll of himself.

All this would've been avoided if animated avatars were still allowed. I'd have used my standard one:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll78/De_ressurect/windowsfdanim.gif
Still doesn't really work with that one...

Shikton
2010-01-08, 04:43 AM
Recently switched from a smurf to the Suikoden 1 cover, because Suikoden is the game that got me into jRPGs and I still play it to this day. You could say I'm sort of a fanboiii, but not really. I just love the series :smallsmile:

I would cram my own face in there if I could, but it would look ridiculous.:smalltongue:

Marillion
2010-01-08, 04:50 AM
Because I'm not.

KuReshtin
2010-01-08, 04:53 AM
My avatar is of an American Football official, cause I'm an American Football Official IRL. Well, I'm only a football official during weekends, but it's easier to find someone to make a fotball official avatar than it is to find a tech support guy, and it's more original as well.

Right now, the avatar's on fire, though, for the ON FIRE! week.

Elder Tsofu
2010-01-08, 04:59 AM
Hm, well.

I had been switching through a lot of different avatars during my time here and never really got stuck with one.
But then I did a scene from "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett for our Local IA contest. And there I had to draw The Librarians head and part of his body - and I realised I liked that grin and "sacky" posture something awful. :smallbiggrin:

So it is a character I liked, which turned out nicely and is different enough to stand out. :smallsmile:

Current avy is dressed up as a roman senator for the WW game Rome (which unfortunately seems to have died/stalled).
Reason I haven't changed? Well I've been busy with other stuff and other peoples avatars. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-08, 05:17 AM
It's currently on Hold due to sudden things messing up/making EK's life /very busy.

Lioness
2010-01-08, 07:40 AM
Mine is my current D&D character.

She misaimed her fireball...

Anuan
2010-01-08, 08:01 AM
My avatar is of a class-combination I found worked excellently whilst playing NWN2. He looks quite like me (Or, he does now that I've grown a goatee and cut my hair >.>) and he may, if I can find an avatarist who'll do it for me, end up slightly reminiscent of an older RP character of mine. ...I've sort of styled myself after my avatar, more than I've styled my avatar after me. ...Kinda sad.

onthetown
2010-01-08, 08:02 AM
Back when I used to play Gaia, it was my avatar there. One of many designs, but it was the one I was most proud of. And starwoof's a god for making it for me on here.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-01-08, 08:25 AM
It's a representation of myself, modified for On Fire week. Here's the standard one:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/NinjaChocobo/Avatars/Zetsuboupart3.png

Sereg
2010-01-08, 08:29 AM
Well, the reason I choose this one out of all the other standard avatars is that, believe it or not, my first character was a griffon. Uh...yeah, my DM liked being experimental so he had us all play as monsters.

Athaniar
2010-01-08, 08:29 AM
My original avatar, which I used until recently, is Xavius, the guy I'm named for. Then I switched to a humanoid Deathwing/Neltharion in anticipation of Cataclysm, and now I use a Model Viewer representation of Fëdhros, the elven archer I'm playing in a D&D game here on these forums (see link in sig). Might switch to some other thing soon, if I feel like it.

smellie_hippie
2010-01-08, 09:00 AM
I don't feel that I need to explain this one to you... :smallamused: Except for maybe the pirate face on the avvie... but that is largely just a continued theme that crosses from the original and ties into all of my others. (pirate, coffee cup, camp guide, other secret avatar to be revealed later...)

Anuan
2010-01-08, 09:36 AM
I don't feel that I need to explain this one to you... :smallamused: Except for maybe the pirate face on the avvie... but that is largely just a continued theme that crosses from the original and ties into all of my others. (pirate, coffee cup, camp guide, other secret avatar to be revealed later...)

But I wanna know nooooowwww! D:

hap_hazard
2010-01-08, 09:41 AM
Cuz I like being generic.

Ichneumon
2010-01-08, 09:48 AM
I don't know, I used to have this character on ABR, as a kind of personification of "me" (somewhat the same personality although turned into a parody, same hair colour and such) and now I just stick with it.

Anuan
2010-01-08, 09:57 AM
I don't know, I used to have this character on ABR, as a kind of personification of "me" (somewhat the same personality although turned into a parody, same hair colour and such) and now I just stick with it.

Hm. Have you posted a picture of yourself in the You thread before? I seem to remember you doing so, and being quite a cutie...

Ichneumon
2010-01-08, 09:59 AM
Hm. Have you posted a picture of yourself in the You thread before? I seem to remember you doing so, and being quite a cutie...

No, I haven't. But I did post a picture once somewhere else (I think it might have been the girl-thread) after being provoked by someone to do so (:smallamused:), but I've deleted it from my photobucket account by now. So, I think you might be confusing me with someone else. I'm not denying my cuteness though.

blackfox
2010-01-08, 10:00 AM
My avatar evolved via freeform RP from the default RogueGirl avatar here, the one with the flaming dagger. It went through a lot of transformations over time... Now the avatar just represents the character when she's feeling particularly CN.

Gullara
2010-01-08, 10:11 AM
I use my avatar because it is my favorite out of all the ones I've made.

ghost_warlock
2010-01-08, 10:19 AM
I could never find an OotS-atar that I was satisfied with, whether I made it myself or had someone make it for me. As such, I started using cropped stuff I found on the internet.

I'm using the one I've got now because, when I first saw the original, I laughed so hard and long that I was left crying and wheezing. Even now, months later, I still laugh when I see the full picture and even my avatar version makes me smirk a bit.

Ikialev
2010-01-08, 10:36 AM
Because I have no face and am from the future.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-01-08, 10:43 AM
Becasue my avatar is Grlump the Elder.
'Nuff said.

TRM
2010-01-08, 10:47 AM
Because banjo was making catatars.

And I requested a hinjocat because I had a previous Hinjo avatar that I liked.

Phaedra
2010-01-08, 10:53 AM
I'd love to say there was a deep and meaningful reason behind my avatar, showing an insight into my inner psyche. In fact, it's just an OOTS version of this moderately famous painting of Phaedra (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Alexandre_Cabanel_-_Ph%C3%A8dre.jpg), which Recaiden was kind enough to make for me.

Linked to this, there's no particular reason I chose Phaedra as my username either - it was just the first name that came to mind, make of that what you will.

Sneak
2010-01-08, 10:56 AM
Cubes can be made of sugar, as well as salt. These are the former, rather than the latter. At least, according to Google Image Search. It is possible that I have been lied to.

Wait, really? I was just joking. They actually make cubes out of salt? For what purpose?

KuReshtin
2010-01-08, 11:07 AM
I could never find an OotS-atar that I was satisfied with, whether I made it myself or had someone make it for me. As such, I started using cropped stuff I found on the internet.

I'm using the one I've got now because, when I first saw the original, I laughed so hard and long that I was left crying and wheezing. Even now, months later, I still laugh when I see the full picture and even my avatar version makes me smirk a bit.

Your avatar is one that always stands out to me when I scroll down a page.
I sooo want to see the original version of that image.

Gamerlord
2010-01-08, 11:07 AM
Cause he looks cool :smallcool: . And I love goblinoids. If I lived in a fantasy world I would want to look like him.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 11:13 AM
Wait, really? I was just joking. They actually make cubes out of salt? For what purpose?
Drinks. You put a cube of sugar in coffee or tea.

Green Bean
2010-01-08, 11:17 AM
I really like Mister Miracle/Big Barda. That, and this was the last decent-looking avatar I made before losing access to my avatar-making program.

Tiger Duck
2010-01-08, 11:18 AM

you might want to read what Sneak said again ^^

KuReshtin
2010-01-08, 11:18 AM

I think you may have misread the quoted message just a little bit.

edit: Dammit. Ninja'd by Captain Happy.

Castaras
2010-01-08, 11:24 AM
Currently without avatar because I haven't made myself a new avatar good enough in my eyes.

Normally, I'm a drow Pieomancer. Why? Because that's who my online persona turned out to be. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-01-08, 11:29 AM
Ah, yes, salt. Those too! Well, salt cubes are used for cooking at times. I've used them as a convenient way to store salt for cooking, breaking it up before adding it to something.

Also, I feel like a moron now. :smallannoyed:

Trobby
2010-01-08, 11:37 AM
I feel that my avatar represents an inner self.

..Specifically, the playful part of me with a tail and ears. o.o

Though really, it's just a mixture of human, kitten, and puppy formed into my own creation, a Kuppy. And I figured something I made up myself would be unique enough to pass as a decent self-avatar on the playground.

His ear is on fire right now 'cuz of On Fire week. He thinks he smells something burning. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: On a related note, I have trouble with avatars sometimes. Certain ones won't load on a page when I open it up, meaning sometimes I can't see a person's avatar at all.

MoriHikari
2010-01-08, 11:42 AM
She was my first D&D character and one of my favorites...vampiric Druidess...doesn't get much better than that

Jack Squat
2010-01-08, 11:49 AM
So... a... more bland version of your current one?

Nah. If I were to re-do it it'd be a little more intensive than me just changing the shirt color.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-01-08, 12:10 PM

Salt lick:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/227/493087036_29f8c4fd82.jpg

Lyesmith
2010-01-08, 12:14 PM
Personally? Loki was a badass.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-08, 12:18 PM
Mmm. Delicious salt lick.

Polio inocculations also come in sugar-cube-like cuboids.

I just asked people in Arts and Crafts to make a fitting avatar. This one was the pick of the crop. God bless your soul Colinmarc, wherever you are.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-08, 12:24 PM
Well, I USED to use the default Necromancer Male for the longest time, in accordance with my username. Currently, it's a Warsmith from 4k, so used because the Iron Warriors are my army therein. Plus, it'll be the first time I'll be participating in an Avatar Week, and it'll be entirely by accident!

ghost_warlock
2010-01-08, 12:34 PM
Your avatar is one that always stands out to me when I scroll down a page.
I sooo want to see the original version of that image.

It's linked in my sig, in the spoiler, as "laughed 'till I cried." :smallbiggrin:

GrlumpTheElder
2010-01-08, 12:36 PM
It's linked in my sig, in the spoiler, as "laughed 'till I cried." :smallbiggrin:

I see why you linked it as that! :smallbiggrin:

Sucrose
2010-01-08, 12:40 PM

Ah, my apologies. I'm rather poor at detecting intent on the internet. In any case, I saw no particular reason why salt cubes wouldn't be used for something, and we now have a few examples.

Prime32
2010-01-08, 12:40 PM
I use my avatar because it is my favorite out of all the ones I've made.Pretty much this. I've made more avs since then, but I don't want to change it.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-08, 12:51 PM
I use mine, because I made it. Fits the personality I am trying to project to this online community fairly well, too. I think I am going to redo it more zoomed in.

Pendragonx
2010-01-08, 01:33 PM
I drew mine to be part of the logo for my website..sort of a mascot if you will ... and I decided to keep it as my avatar as it sort of matches my online handle ..that and I love dragons :)

Quincunx
2010-01-08, 01:36 PM
I made one line-art avatar and realized it looked better than any of my attempts at coloring. Once I used that for a few weeks, I also realized it was instantly recognizable, and have only color avatars since then for two weeks at most. (When the OotS line art shirts were introduced, I was insufferable for a week.)

Zocelot
2010-01-08, 01:51 PM
I pretty much just like the character of Tyrael, even though he doesn't have much personality in Diablo II. It's just a weird attraction. Also, Mortugg is an awesome avatarist.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 02:32 PM
Because he's one of the few characters in anime who kind of looks like me. And one of my favorites, from one of my favorite shows.

Also, neoseph rocks.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-08, 02:51 PM
You have purple hair and a unibrow?:smallconfused:

Totally Guy
2010-01-08, 02:52 PM
My first avatar was...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/ZohakAli.gif

He's called Zohak Ali and he's a villain in a children's book called The Magician of Samarkand.

I entered this into the Eastern themed Iron Avatarist contest. I was quite confident as there were only 4 entrants. (And they all sucked.) But I was quite surprised to find that my avatar was chosen for last place.

So obviously I'd clouded my own judgement somehow. And Inner Animal Week was coming up... So I turned him into a crocodile. Or maybe a Zohak Ali-gator.

And when people said they liked him better than the human version I stuck with him.

Edit: Ahem... embarrassing...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/macdonnell/ZohakFemale2.gif

Lord Blace
2010-01-08, 03:21 PM
I happen to like Revan a bit. >.>

The Demented One
2010-01-08, 03:23 PM
Because the Doctor and the Unconquered Sun are both absolutely badass. And 'cause Gryffon made it for me! :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2010-01-08, 03:24 PM
Because the Doctor and the Unconquered Sun are both absolutely badass. And 'cause Gryffon made it for me! :smallbiggrin:

Wrong doctor *twitch* *twitch* recent one ain't anywhere near as badass as the older ones...

Morty
2010-01-08, 03:28 PM
My current avatar is a character I play over in the FFRP section. Also, I just like goblins.

Vaynor
2010-01-08, 03:52 PM
I use mine because Clive Barker is amazing.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-08, 03:53 PM
I use my avatar cause it looks like me. My wife did it. She is ace.

Adlan
2010-01-08, 04:09 PM
My Avatar is me...

Well actually, it's me when I'm 17, that way I can look at it and think 'still got it'

Bradakhan
2010-01-08, 04:42 PM
'Cus my friends call me a pirate (I don't remember why :smallbiggrin:), and I liked the hairstyle I drew.
(Also, the tattoo is the symbol off of "Heroes")

Player_Zero
2010-01-08, 04:55 PM
Who doesn't love violin-playing skeletons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbovviNb-EY)?

Rutskarn
2010-01-08, 05:01 PM
I don't. Bloody violin-playing skeletons. There's fifty of them between here and the dining hall, sprawled out on the green, fiddling out of tune, begging for pocket change. They ought to get productive jobs, like being a novelist or growing herbs.

Copacetic
2010-01-08, 05:34 PM
Who doesn't love violin-playing skeletons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbovviNb-EY)?

That video clip bothers me. If only because I actually play the violin and it doesn't work like that.

As for my avatar....Guess?

Props to Phase for it.

Yardo
2010-01-08, 06:36 PM
Hmm, avatar, reminds me that I don't have one. Should I get one? I'm not sure.

Player_Zero
2010-01-08, 06:44 PM
That video clip bothers me. If only because I actually play the violin and it doesn't work like that.

And skeletons don't talk. Go figure.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-08, 06:51 PM
Or drink tea. Will your lies never end, Zero?

dangerprawn
2010-01-08, 07:09 PM
Because the playground needed more spongebob. I have a little spongebob plastic happy meal toy that rests on the dash in my car also.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-08, 07:17 PM
Well, I was stationed in Hawaii (Pearl Harbor and Ewa Beach) for most of my Navy career, and I surfed quite a bit while I was there. :smallbiggrin:

And I like half-orcs, they get to be brutal and violent, but also naturalistic and shamanistic.

So combining the two wasn't a very long stretch. I have been debating going back down to the avatar request thread and asking for some tribal tattoos, but I haven't decided what I want just yet.

Raz_Fox
2010-01-08, 07:23 PM
Because I really like Keychain of Creation, and Secret is the second-cutest drawing I've ever seen.

...Don't spread your filthy traitor lies. I have no crush on her. None. Whatsoever. Understood?

Wrong doctor *twitch* *twitch* recent one ain't anywhere near as badass as the older ones...

Dude(ette)! Have you even seen Silence in the Library? Or, for even a better example, The Waters of Mars?

The Tenth Doctor is badassery INCARNATE as he laughs madly and orders the laws of time to sit down and shut up. TDO has extremely good taste...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-01-08, 07:35 PM
My original was this without the gears and smokestack-y thing, and I asked someone to steam-punk it up for Steampunk week. Dr. Bath obliged, and I liked it better than the original.

I think it's kinda iconic and recognizable.

golentan
2010-01-08, 07:38 PM
Dude(ette)! Have you even seen Silence in the Library? Or, for even a better example, The Waters of Mars?

Silence in the library doctor was *WAY* more awesome than waters of mars doctor.

But I agree. Tennant is now my favorite doctor.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-08, 07:52 PM
You're playing a bowed guitar, right?

Yup. :smallsmile:

And skeletons don't talk. Go figure.

*cough*

:smallannoyed:

Because the playground needed more spongebob. I have a little spongebob plastic happy meal toy that rests on the dash in my car also.

NO. :smallannoyed:

Recaiden
2010-01-08, 08:07 PM
Secret is the second-cutest drawing I've ever seen.

Who's the first? :smallamused:

dangerprawn
2010-01-08, 08:26 PM
NO. :smallannoyed:

Yes. Dunces and Dragons (http://www.inetgamer.com/play/spongebob-dunces-and-dragons.html).

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-08, 08:29 PM
Because when I was using an adopted Serp Platypus, too many people in SMBG commented on the lack of mauve-shirtedness. So Dr. Bath kindly made me this avatar.

skywalker
2010-01-08, 08:45 PM
Nah. If I were to re-do it it'd be a little more intensive than me just changing the shirt color.

Was making a joke about real-life portrayal...

Unless your uniform has changed vastly over the past month while we've been incommunicado?

Sneak
2010-01-08, 09:02 PM
New avatar.

Because it's fitting and I like it and I find it amusing.

Wanna argue with me? See these teeth?

Yeah, I thought so.

The Demented One
2010-01-08, 09:04 PM
And yet, the older ones are nowhere near as sexy as the present one. A conundrum most dire.

Dogmantra
2010-01-08, 09:11 PM
And yet, the older ones are nowhere near as sexy as the present one. A conundrum most dire.

Ex-present one. They only went and replaced him.

deuxhero
2010-01-08, 09:11 PM
Hmm, avatar, reminds me that I don't have one. Should I get one? I'm not sure.

I did just fine before I made mine, and that took a while.

Errandir
2010-01-08, 09:18 PM
Because I tried to draw my PC on Inkscape, and it ended up somewhat close to what I intended. :smallwink:

Griever
2010-01-08, 09:31 PM
I don't. Bloody violin-playing skeletons. There's fifty of them between here and the dining hall, sprawled out on the green, fiddling out of tune, begging for pocket change. They ought to get productive jobs, like being a novelist or growing herbs.

Or hill defense.

Reinholdt
2010-01-08, 10:36 PM
Because kitty cats are adorable.
And I am nothing if not adorable. :smallcool:

I do.
*snatches up and cuddles*
*FOREVER*

Lesse. My current avatar which despite all the dozens of others I've got I consider the Reinholdt avatar? Well it simply started with me using the classic kitty with the sniper rifle lolcat image as an avatar. Not sure why. Cause I liked it and didn't have anything else to use. And then I spotted Banjo's Custard avatar in his sig, sent off a request, helped kicked off a little catatar craze which swamped Banjo, and here we are. Though I think many of you knew that already anyways.

Haruki-kun
2010-01-08, 10:43 PM
In a perfect world, I'd look just like my avatar. Hence, I use it.

Ya Ta Hey!
2010-01-08, 10:53 PM
You wanna be the Phantom?

I mean, whatever floats your boat, but people are gonna think you're a cosplayer 100% of the time. At the laundromat, at Dennys, at jury duty...

[EDIT: Never mind. A perfect world will have none of those three. Carry on.]

Flarp
2010-01-08, 11:13 PM
Ever since reading... maybe not The Hobbit, but certainly Fellowship, I've always liked dwarves - their concept of communal society is so different from our own.

Which is weird, because, in real life, I'm probably as far from the Lawful Neutral-lean-Good mentality of the dwarves as can be.

Also, dwarven cities are just, frankly, badass. Hewn from the earth itself, glittering crystals, a magma waterfall (convection and sulfur aside)... hell, even golems are a pretty dwarven concept.

Lifeson
2010-01-08, 11:21 PM
Because it's Leaf. The kokiri character of my namesake, and the Legend of Zelda RPG you see floating around the game section of the forum.

Yarram
2010-01-08, 11:24 PM
Well, I thought, "What has noone done before?" and then came up with a guy on a cart with zombie heads for wheels. So I did it. I'm too lazy to do something new.

starwoof
2010-01-08, 11:33 PM
I change my avatar a lot, but this one is because of the 40,000th member and 40k week. I also like genestealers. I've tried to get attached to one avatar character before but I just like changing too much...

And starwoof's a god for making it for me on here.
I wish I got more praise like that for making avatars.:smallbiggrin:

Thajocoth
2010-01-09, 01:23 AM
When my previous one had been obsolete for a while, I decided to change it, and had just made a new D&D character. I wanted an avatar of that new character (who will be starting in about a week). I posted a request, but I tried my own hand at it out of a combination of impatience and trying to make a suitable base image for people to know what I'm talking about. When it eventually looked ok, I kept it, and received enough advice on it to make it look good. Having made it myself, I think I'm a bit more critical of it than I otherwise would be, but I've always got the file on hand for when/if I find more things I can do to fix it up more.

The character is Cedarsting the Glowswarm. His data:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Cedarsting, level 17
Wilden, Druid, Luminescent Swarm
Build: Swarm Druid
Primal Aspect: Primal Swarm
Hardy Form: Hardy Form Will
Background: Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 22, Dex 12, Int 11, Wis 23, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 10.

AC: 32 Fort: 28 Reflex: 24 Will: 30
HP: 124 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 33

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +22, Heal +19, Perception +19, Insight +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +8, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +13, History +8, Intimidate +8, Religion +8, Stealth +10, Streetwise +8, Thievery +8, Athletics +6

FEATS
Druid: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Ferocious Tiger Form
Level 2: Stinging Swarm
Level 4: Implement Expertise (totem)
Level 6: Hide Armor Expertise
Level 8: Toughness
Level 10: Durable (retrained to Uncanny Dodge at Level 15)
Level 11: Bolstered Swarm
Level 12: Hunting Wolf Form
Level 14: Quick Wild Shape
Level 16: Scattering Swarm

POWERS
Druid at-will 1: Grasping Claws
Druid at-will 1: Flame Seed
Druid at-will 1: Swarming Locusts
Power User Choice: Swarm Notes
Druid encounter 1: Scattered Form
Druid daily 1: Savage Frenzy
Druid utility 2: Barkskin
Druid encounter 3: Flowing Swarm
Druid daily 5: Primal Wolverine
Druid utility 6: Rebuking Thorns
Druid encounter 7: Poison Sting
Druid daily 9: Flurry of Stingers
Druid utility 10: Armor of the Wild
Druid encounter 13: Expose Weakness (replaces Poison Sting)
Druid daily 15: Revitalizing Pounce (replaces Savage Frenzy)
Druid utility 16: Howl of the Wild
Druid encounter 17: Scattered Form (replaces Scattered Form)

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Amulet of Protection +4, Predator Darkhide Armor +4, Strikebacks (heroic tier), Belt of Vigor (paragon tier), Tattoo of the Wolverine (heroic tier), Panther Slippers (heroic tier), Potion of Vitality (paragon tier) (3), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Bracers of Rejuvenation (heroic tier), Handy Haversack (heroic tier), Rope of Climbing (heroic tier), Diadem of Acuity (heroic tier), Oalian's Balance Totem +4
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Make Whole
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

GP: 3600

Personality:
Hates aberrations, but is otherwise balance-minded. Except when fighting... Then he savors the violence. Usually uses Aspect of the Destroyer. Aspect has some slight effect on personality:

Aspect of the Ancients - A little more cautious
Aspect of the Destroyer - A little more aggressive
Aspect of the Hunter - A little more secretive

Appearance:
Cedarsting has green needles like a cedar tree in the summer with a contrasting brown bark. He wild shapes into a swarm of fey insects that glow brighter than fireflies and sting like bees. He always uses the plural to speak of himself and occasionally calls himself "The Glowswarm" as a sort of title.

Background:
Cedarsting had always been told as a sapling that Wilden came about to defend the Feywild and Natural world from the aberrations and madness of the Far Realm, but hadn't really believed that until he came across one of the places in the world where one could "look outside" (that is, to glimpse upon the Far Realm and tempt oneself of madness.) Being curious, Cedarsting took a quick glimpse.

After several days of meditation in the forest, Cedarsting's mind was not brought into madness, but he understood the need to fight to protect the Feywild and Natural world. He learned to channel the power of the primal spirits to become what he calls The Glowswarm, a swarm of brightly glowing insects who's light is soothing to his friends and who's stingers are painful to his foes.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-09, 03:09 AM
You wanna be the Phantom?

I mean, whatever floats your boat, but people are gonna think you're a cosplayer 100% of the time. At the laundromat, at Dennys, at jury duty...

[EDIT: Never mind. A perfect world will have none of those three. Carry on.]

More proof we are not living in the best of all possible worlds.

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-09, 06:30 AM
Well, I thought, "What has noone done before?" and then came up with a guy on a cart with zombie heads for wheels. So I did it. I'm too lazy to do something new.

Upon reading this, I took a closer look at your avatar. Well done, good sir. Well done. You have created a piece of AWESOME.

Boo
2010-01-09, 06:58 AM
This is temporary. I just liked the art (seen in full through my puppy-link).

Yarram
2010-01-09, 07:15 AM
Upon reading this, I took a closer look at your avatar. Well done, good sir. Well done. You have created a piece of AWESOME.

Why thankee!:smallsmile:
I've always felt more impressed by your own works of art than my melodramatic statements.

Lex-Kat
2010-01-09, 12:15 PM
Because I'm a Pixie in the Playground. I would say THE, but I know there are others, and don't wish to upset them.

Ignore the User Title under my name.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-09, 12:37 PM
Half-ogre half-pixie!:smalltongue:

:smalleek:

:smalltongue:

Water-Smurf
2010-01-09, 12:53 PM
Because I wrote a story that somehow ended up with Redcloak and Vaarsuvius having a kid together (it makes sense in context!) and someone drew an avatar depicting their little girl. I snatched it up. :smalltongue:

(And, since I'm on the subject, another public thank-you to Kaytara for drawing it!)

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-09, 01:05 PM
Because when I came to the site I decided to use a stupid Race/Class for my username. Halfling-Barbarian was too long so I went with Kobold-Bard (having never played NWN the revelation of Deekin made me very annoyed, even moreso when I realised I was using a picture of him for my avatar).

So I requisitioned my current one from the request thread, and here we are.

Yiuel
2010-01-09, 01:12 PM
Well, basically, it was my first attempt at an OotS-style avatar. It's a mix of myself (there are many things in there that are me, including the huge sword), my own homebrewed amphibian species, and a touch of D&D , as I made my avatar as to show a fighter/wizard multiclassed character.

I have been drawing an updated version closer to true OotS-style, and I might change my avatar shortly.

(I've been practicing, you can look at my signature, where I went wild.)

Emperor Ing
2010-01-09, 01:12 PM
The arcane incarnation character thingy was made by me, sorta my staple, and the Blood Angel Arcane Incarnation because 1, Blood Angels are AWESOME, 2, Cuz I can, and 3, for Warhammer 40k week. Dual wielding chainfists cuz I can, and the dual wielding storm bolters because I like overwhelming firepower and I ALWAYS thought 1 handed weapons could be carried by Marines with chainfists.

Wizibirb
2010-01-09, 01:19 PM
Why, you ask?
Because what a better way to say sanity than with zombie. I mean most people start to lose their sanity when zombies start appearing. :smallbiggrin:

Now as for the Riddler part It's cause I rp'ed as the Riddler in Batman WW game. Otherwise I just use what ever zombie tickles my fancy.

KilltheToy
2010-01-09, 03:23 PM
Because I think Victorian era dress looks spiffy :smalltongue:. The revolver? Well.... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RevolversAreJustBetter):smallwink:

Castaras
2010-01-09, 06:04 PM

Tennant ain't sexy or hot.

starwoof
2010-01-09, 07:14 PM
Tennant ain't sexy or hot.

I respectfully disagree. :smallamused:

GallóglachMaxim
2010-01-11, 01:15 AM
Well it goes with the username, and coincidentally looks a bit like me. Except that I have a nose.

Soterion
2010-01-11, 01:36 AM
My avatar's my character, Soterion the Black, half-fiend paladin of Hextor. He looks durn snappy in his waistcoat and frock ensemble (no cravat, 'cause he's stylish like that). His Cuban heels didn't come out quite right, though. He doesn't wear armor because armor is for the weak.

My other option was to put up an avatar of Ned Ugsome, bard/barbarian and punk lutist, but I felt like Soterion was a better fit.

Coidzor
2010-01-11, 05:09 AM
I respectfully disagree. :smallamused:

I submit attempting to perform before an audience of Tennant posters looking you in the eye to test this hypothesis.

IN THE EYE. @_@

Huh? What? Sorta spaced out there for a minute. Sorry about that, got this really weird feeling all of a sudden. :smallconfused:

Anyhoo, I'm a bit of an ephemeral type and the idea of the master of masks sort of clicked with me in a way that meant I wanted to grossly reenvision it as something involving many, many more types of masks getting incorporated into its nature. I've since decided to try to incorporate the theme weeks into the mask scheme idea in order to subtly increase the number of masks.

This particular avatar is for the ON FIRE week, and, well, I had been dealing with books a lot at the time and somehow bookburning came up in regards to some IRL/political drama and so that's what I requested for the mask of my immolating self.

Reinboom
2010-01-11, 05:51 AM
My current Avatar (catworld) is being used simply because:
1. Serpentine did amazing work on it.
2. Meow!
3. *insert whatever sound a world makes*

It was born out of my avatars before this becoming a little "too friendly" with the world they were hugging.

One day I shall switch back to being actually Reina (by Alarra). Probably soon.
http://pifro.com/Reina.png

rakkoon
2010-01-11, 06:33 AM
Because of the link between my name and RPG.
I am now the proud owner of two versions of my avatar (x-mas and regular) and hope to have a collection in the future. It would help if I were an avatarist myself of course....

Killer Angel
2010-01-11, 11:11 AM
Because I love history, I love romantic heroic figures, during my honeymoon I visited Gettysburg, and Armistead was a real Epic kickass.

Yora
2010-01-11, 12:27 PM
What a question! Just look at it!

If you had someone mad such an avatar for you, you would use is too!

Dragero
2010-01-11, 07:02 PM
It`s a lawyer in a boot! C`mon!

CapedLuigiYoshi
2010-01-11, 07:05 PM
Note the name above the avatar. That is all.

nanobot_swarm
2010-01-11, 07:35 PM
Originally I had Bill Nye the Science rocking out on Guitar with a Nuclear explosion behind him. However it ceased to appear, so I found this nice geometric figure as a back up.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-11, 07:40 PM
I tried making it for Angels/Demons week a long time ago in a style I planned on using for a webcomic that never got off the ground (where all characters are circles).

Needless to say, my art skills suck.

Still, I made it, and it's mine.

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-11, 07:40 PM
Because I really enjoyed the anime it came from.

TSGames
2010-01-14, 10:39 PM
I had a vision of an image. A vision of things to come.
The image became avatar #5. I couldn't believe someone else had not created it.

FuegoAzul
2010-01-15, 03:26 AM
Cause its a silly gryphon and looks really funny.

Schlega
2010-01-15, 04:15 PM
Because I made this account mainly for the strip slays thread. The current version was made to commemorate my ascension to dwarfhood.

Pika...
2010-01-16, 12:03 AM
Cause its a silly gryphon and looks really funny.

He looks cute.

Note the name above the avatar. That is all.

I see no Yoshi.