PDA

View Full Version : Animated Series Handbook [3.5]

Starscream
2010-01-08, 04:24 AM
I just got myself the old D&D cartoon series (which is Awesometacular) on DVD. As I'm sure some of you know, it contains a 30 page book that stats out the main characters in 3.5 terms. I wasn't expecting much of it, but to my surprise it's a pretty neat little supplement. In particular I like the way the character's unique magic items were represented.

Does anyone else have this book? Do you have any opinions on the magic items therein? I'm thinking of including them in an upcoming campaign just to see if anyone spots the reference. They aren't very expensive, so I don't think they'll be imbalancing, but I'd like your opinions.

Because this book is so obscure, I briefly describe the items here.

Hank's Bow: A +2 composite bow that fires arrows of pure force. You never run out of ammo, the arrows can affect incorporeal beings, and they each do 2d6 damage. The most interesting thing is that this bow actually includes the ability to power attack, something no other bow can do. You don't even need the feat. Seems handy. I think I have seen this item mentioned elsewhere, but its the only one.

Eric's Shield: A +2 bashing heavy steel shield that can be wielded two-handed. As an immediate action the wielder can create a Resilient Sphere effect centered on themselves. Only works for 5 rounds a day, but the fact that it is an immediate action (and protects from practically anything) means that's 5 times a day you can basically say "No" whenever something bad happens to you.

Diana's Staff: +2 ki strike quarterstaff when wielded, a +2 ki strike javelin when thrown. Can also grow and shrink in size (from 1 inch to 20 feet), grants a +5 on jump rolls, and you get a free trip attempt any time you hit someone with it. Yeah, I know, monks stink. But the free tripping could be handy for some builds, and you can stun people at a range. I'd personally try to further enchant it to have the returning ability to make throwing it more useful.

Presto's Hat: Okay, this could probably break a game if used wisely. First it acts as a Rod of Wonder. Yawn. But it also can produce any spell component of up to 1000gp value. Sweet! They disappear after a round, so you can't use this for infinite wealth generation, but it'll still save a fortune. Thirdly, the hat can automatically empower any spell you cast. No increase in level, usable an infinite number of times a day. Fourth, it can be used to immediately cast any spell in your spellbook in place of one you have prepared. Since wizards can have a ton of spells in their tomes, this is awesome. However, there is a downside; if you use either the empower or spell-swap functions you roll d%. There's about a 1/3 chance that the spell gets wasted and a Rod of Wonder effect happens instead, a 1/3 chance that it works, and a 1/3 chance that it works and you get the effect. Pretty neat, if unreliable.

Sheila's Cloak: The most mundane of the items. 5 times a day you can cast invisibility on yourself. 2 times a day you can cast greater invisibility for 1d4 rounds. A ring of invisibility is cheaper, although this has a higher CL and uses up a less vital item slot.

Bobby's Club: +2 greatclub that also confers +4 strength. Three times a day you can cause a small earthquake that goes 30 feet in a line. Anyone in the line must make a reflex save or fall prone. Like the cloak this is pretty straightforward.

Has anyone used these items at all? I definitely think the bow, the shield, and the hat have some distinct possibilities. All in all a pretty nice book, especially for a freebie.

Wings of Peace
2010-01-08, 05:16 AM
Sadly or perhaps fortunately one has already been done for you. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 05:24 AM
Hanks bow makes Taulmaril seem like a toy...

Taulmaril the Heartseeker: A gift from Lady Anariel to Clan Battlehammer, this beautifully crafted +3 force keen elven bow is made of polished wood. Though highly decorated, elf crafters also gave the bow metal inlays which gives the wielder the option to fend off attacks without sacrificing rate of fire and accuracy.

Taulmaril has a +3 enhancement and arrows launched from it emit a powerful jolt of magical force and deal an additional 1d6 points of force damage on a successful hit. If the arrow successfully hits a target protected by a force effect, such as a shield spell or bracers of armor, it might dispel the force effect in addition to damaging the target. Make a dispel check (1d20+10) against the effect (DC 11 + caster level). If the check succeeds, the force effect is dispelled (if a spell) or suppressed for 1d4 rounds (if a magic item). Incorporeal creatures get no miss chance against force weapons.

If used as an offensive weapon, Taulmaril acts as two-handed melee weapon that deals 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage. The wielder does not get any masterwork or enhancement bonuses when using the bow to attack in melee.

Moderate evocation and transmutation; CL 15th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be an elf, keen edge , wall of force ; Price 98,450 gp; Cost 49,450 gp + 3938 XP; Weight 6 lb.

Coidzor
2010-01-08, 06:05 AM
Well, taulmaril has the force without making it so that the arrows can't effect force immune creatures, adds the force even when using other arrows, and has a limited ability to dispel things.

So it's not completely one-sided.

Otodetu
2010-01-08, 08:34 AM
Well, taulmaril has the force without making it so that the arrows can't effect force immune creatures, adds the force even when using other arrows, and has a limited ability to dispel things.

So it's not completely one-sided.

The force bow can still fire normal arrows (and ignore force immunity), and still power attack

Starscream
2010-01-08, 01:33 PM
Sadly or perhaps fortunately one has already been done for you. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)

Cool, didn't notice that link when I googled to see if anyone else had discussed it. That fact that the bow is online might explain why I've seen it mentioned in various threads, but not any of the other items.

My favorite item is still the hat. Yes, it's unreliable, but at 25000 gp I can't think of any reason a mid to high level wizard wouldn't want one. It'll save you more than that in components alone. Not to mention that it says "You can cast any spell from your spellbook", but doesn't mention that your book has to be within any particular range.

If you fail to protect it and it gets stolen, you can still use any spell within it 2/3 of the time, which is bound to make recovering it easier. Great insurance policy.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 01:38 PM
The hat seems like a minor artifact. It also seems like it would involve a metric ton of dicerolling.

Zaydos
2010-01-08, 03:53 PM
Play a wild mage and get hat. Each time you roll to determine a magic items effect (examples include Rod of Wonder and Bag of Tricks) you roll twice and pick the result... Hey 2/3 just became 8/9, I like those odds.