PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word help: multiple headers

JeenLeen
2010-01-08, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to put multiple headers on different sections of a Word document.

I think it has to do with inserting section breaks (as opposed to page breaks), but I'm not sure of the specifics and am having trouble finding it online elsewhere. Thanks.

truemane
2010-01-08, 09:45 AM
You've got it right. You insert a Section Break, and choose what type you want, wherever your section ends. The tricky part is that once you do so, the Headers and Footers don't automatically play along.

You have to manually click off the "Same as Previous" option in the Header and Footer toolbar to separate them too.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

Write your text, insert your Section Break, and choose type, (Next Page, say). Then you go to the 'next page' and double-click on your Footer. You'll notice it's still the same as the previous Footer.

I don't know what version of Word you're using. If you're using 1997-2002, then a little toolbar pops up when you view the Footer. On the toolbar there's an icon of an open book with a little arrow pointing from one page to the next page. If you hover the pointer over it it'll say 'Same as Previous.'

Click the little book so it's off. You can now change the Footer. Every Footer AFTER that one will be the same unless you do the same things again.

If you're using 2007 then Breaks are inserted from the 'Page Layout' tab and when you view your Footer there's the same open book icon that says next to it 'Link to Previous Section.' Same deal. Click it off and you're go.

If none of that makes sense, let me know and I'll try to make it clearer. I'm at work or else I'd just upload you some screenshots.

EDIT: I used the word Footer all through that, but the process is the same for Headers.

JeenLeen
2010-01-08, 01:33 PM
Thanks; that worked perfectly. (Was Microsoft Word 2003, btw.)

EDIT Addition:

As a note to myself since I plan to use this for reference and answering my own second question: to make the pagination reset with each new section/heading:

In the header, insert a page number using the toolbar (Insert Page Number).
Go to the button labeled "Format Page Number" and set the "Start at".
This must be repeated for each section; otherwise, the pagination continues from section to section.