PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my engagement ring?

Kiyona
2010-01-08, 10:23 AM
Hello all,

After four happy years with my man we have finally decided to get engaged. (The swedish traditions for engagement is a bit different than the american ones, so if you are wondering about any oddities, please ask. ^^)

This is still a secret, thats why I am asking you fellow playgrounders, since this is the only forum where I still am anonymous. Also, you have excellent taste. :smallsmile:

This is one of the rings I am thinking about:

http://www.titanringar.com/bilder/300x300/300dia/straight_princess.jpg

It is also avaliable with a black diamond, which I think is really cool and fitting for me and my hubby, but I dont think it is as pretty...

http://www.titanringar.com/bilder/300x300/300dia/black-princess-012.jpg

This one is exactly the same as my future husbands, but with a small white diamond:

http://www.titanringar.com/bilder/300x300/300dia-guld/Str-ar-vw-pall-inlay-6-bl.jpg

This is the last one I am thinking about:

http://www.titanringar.com/bilder/300x300/300dia/straight_around_3-white_002.jpg

If you are wondering about the material, it is titanium. I am allergic to all metals, so titanium is the only metal ring I will be able to wear. Luckily, I find it to be very pretty. :smallsmile:

I am finding the choice of ring much harder than I thought it would be. I want something that looks a bit special, and that stands out fram the standard plain gold engagement ring that is tradition in Sweden, but at the same time I dont want to get sick of it after a while. After all, its going to stay on my finger for the rest of my life. :smallsmile:

So, fellow playgrounders, please give me some advice. Wich ones do you like, and why?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Flickerdart
2010-01-08, 10:28 AM
I'd say the first one. It's got a bigger stone than #3, and is shiny, whereas #2 is not shiny and therefore not quite as good. #4 is just like #3 except with more dakka.

Gullara
2010-01-08, 10:29 AM
Being a man I do not usually comment on such things, but I will offer my opinion, however brief.

I think the third one looks the nicest.

That is all.

Ikialev
2010-01-08, 10:31 AM
Third.

10thirds

Telonius
2010-01-08, 10:32 AM
Those actually look fairly similar to my own wedding band (gems set within the band, made of titanium). The artist wouldn't happen to be Zsuzsi Wolf, would she? :smallbiggrin: Not much of a chance of that, I guess, since she's in Alexandria, Virginia.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but I'd suggest that you see if the inside part of the ring (the part that touches your finger) is rounded rather than squared off. Sharper edges can be kind of painful, and won't help keep the ring on any better than a well-fitting rounded edge.

I generally like the third and fourth ones best. I'd go for the third if I were you. Our wedding bands were made to match, and I've always found that to be very meaningful.

Oh yeah - Congratulations!:smallsmile:

TRM
2010-01-08, 10:37 AM
#2 is gross, don't get that one.

Our wedding bands were made to match, and I've always found that to be very meaningful.
I agree with this advice, and #3 is pretty, so it works out perfectly.

Phaedra
2010-01-08, 10:42 AM
Congratulations!

I prefer the first and third, personally. I'm not sure about the second, with the black diamond, bit somber for an engagement ring maybe. The fourth doesn't really grab me in any way either.

For myself, I'd go for the first, it's very subtle but classy, which is what I want in a ring. For you, though - I like the fact that the third matches your fiance's, so the romantic soul in me says you should go for that one.

Wow, that was a babbly post. I guess the sight of shiny things makes me a bit incoherent.

Anuan
2010-01-08, 10:50 AM
Those actually look fairly similar to my own wedding band (gems set within the band, made of titanium).

You're married? ._.

Congrats, Kiyona ^^

My vote goes for the first. Is very pretty, and I personally don't like the 'big band, small crystal' style rings. The black diamond is kinda...sombre. So I vote for the first :smallbiggrin:

Kiyona
2010-01-08, 10:59 AM
Oh my god, I love the playgrounds! Is was just gone for a few minutes cleaning the kitchen, and when I am back, so many answers! :smallbiggrin:

Thanks so much guys!

I am so very, very happy, but I cant tell anybody at home about it cause its secret, so it is nice to at least tell you guys. :smallsmile:

Just some info, in Sweden, the engagement ring is supposed to be a simple gold band, while the wedding ring is the one with the bling. Also, both me and my man gets an engagement ring, but I am the only one who will get a wedding ring at the ceremony according to tradition.

So, most votes for number 1 and 3 then?

Telonius,

No, the artist lives here in Sweden, as far as I know at least. But I have seen similar designs elsewhere. I think titanium is a bit hard to work with, so maybe thats why most titaniumrings has similar diamond settings?
Also, thank you very much! :smallsmile:

The only rounded one is number three, so I am gonna keep that in mind. I havent actually tried any rings on yet since the artist lives far away from us so its good to think about comfort when making the choice.

Joran
2010-01-08, 11:01 AM
I think I like #1 the best; I like symmetry a lot and it seems like the most symmetrical.

Congratulations!

Telonius
2010-01-08, 11:08 AM
You're married? ._.

Yes, coming up on my five-year anniversary this year.

(Hm, that reminds me, I have to do something particularly nice this year. Got a lot of time to plan for October though.)

KuReshtin
2010-01-08, 11:30 AM
My vote goes for the first. Is very pretty, and I personally don't like the 'big band, small crystal' style rings. The black diamond is kinda...sombre. So I vote for the first :smallbiggrin:

I agree with Anuan on this.

Oh, and Grattis till förlovningen. :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2010-01-08, 11:34 AM
So, we have pictures of the ring, do we get pictures of him or have to wait until the wedding day? :smallbiggrin:

Oh. Right. Anonymity. Never mind.

Zar Peter
2010-01-08, 11:38 AM
You're getting two rings?

If so I would say Nr. 1 for engagement and Nr. 3 for wedding (because like the others mentioned before I think it's nice to have a nearly similar ring for both),

Trog
2010-01-08, 11:51 AM
Number one, definitely. Nice clean lines and the narrower band is more feminine. :smallsmile:

Kiyona
2010-01-08, 11:56 AM
KuReshtin

Tack! Haha, Im starting to become way to paranoid. I suck at keeping secrets. When I saw written swedish I thought: "Ah, did someone I know just find me out!?" As if there are no people speaking swedish except me and my friends... :smallredface:

Zar Peter,

Yeah, eventually I will have two rings, but the wedding will not be for a couple of years. When it feels right, and when we can afford the ceremony we want.

So for a few years there will be only the engagement ring.

Pyrian
2010-01-08, 12:17 PM
I'm definitely going to have to vote for #3. I think it's significantly more elegant than the others.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-08, 12:21 PM
Number one, definitely. Nice clean lines and the narrower band is more feminine. :smallsmile:

Gotta agree with Trog. The second doesn't look so great really (black is not the best colour for a sparkling gem :smalltongue:), the third and fourth are a bit chunky in my opinion, and asymmetric rings always look a bit funny to me.

Castaras
2010-01-08, 12:36 PM
Number one.

And congratulations!

Mando Knight
2010-01-08, 12:54 PM
I think titanium is a bit hard to work with

It's a bit of an understatement...

I also vote for #1, since it's simple and subtle, which make it classier.

KuReshtin
2010-01-08, 01:13 PM
KuReshtin

Tack! Haha, Im starting to become way to paranoid. I suck at keeping secrets. When I saw written swedish I thought: "Ah, did someone I know just find me out!?" As if there are no people speaking swedish except me and my friends... :smallredface:

Sorry.. Didn't mean to freak you out. Or maybe I did?
There are a whole heap of Swedish people frequenting the boards here, to be honest. So you're not alone.

thubby
2010-01-08, 05:58 PM
#1, it's simple and looks nice.
I dislike #3's asymmetry intensely.

of course, being a "typical guy" I'd also say the cheapest.

Syka
2010-01-08, 06:40 PM
I personally like the fourth and the first (in that order). After that the second, then the third.

But that's me. :) Another idea is maybe getting a gemstone other than a diamond, if you'd like. Personally, if I get engaged I'd like the stone to be the birthstone of my partner rather than just a diamond. (I would do both our birthstones, but since mine is emerald and my partner's is ruby...not so sure about doing the Xmas colors year 'round, lol.)

Elfin
2010-01-08, 06:47 PM
I'll put a vote in for the first.
And congratulations.

Assassin89
2010-01-08, 07:21 PM
I would say that the first option is the most aesthetically pleasing to me.

llamamushroom
2010-01-08, 07:30 PM
Personally, I like number 3: it's modern, elegant, and asymmetrical. I like asymmetry. It's also like your partner's, which gives it slightly more sentimental value.

I know it's probably out of your budget, but you could try getting an engagement/wedding ring set - my Mum's engagement ring has an uneven edge which fits into her wedding ring, so it looks cool and gives off a "you complete me" kind of vibe.

But of the four choices, number 3.

Kiyona
2010-01-09, 02:41 AM
Syka

That is a very romantic thing, unfortunatly I am kinda stuck with titanium, and diamond is the only rock hard enough to go with that. Other rocks would break if you tried to put them in titanium.

llamamushroom

Aw, that sounds beutiful. But unfortunately, you are right. I have saved money for almost a year to be able to afford the ring and the trip. (We are eloping to be engaged. ^^) I am a student, and my budget is limited. Normally I am kinda cheap, but since this is a once in a lifetime thing, I am spending more than usual. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks everyone for your input, it is good to get someone elses view on something this important. And please continue, I really appreciate your thoughts. :smallsmile:

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-01-09, 09:37 AM
I would go with the more classical looking #1. The stripe in #3 (that's the palladium inlay, right?) makes it look sort of industrial, which is cool, but may not be the look that you want with for all occasions and all decades of your life. Also, are you allergic to palladium? I think the titanium looks very nice.

Can you post some pictures of what the other ring will look like that this will be paired with? That could make a big difference.

The Valiant Turtle
2010-01-09, 09:51 AM
While I personally like the look of #4 the best (I like side stones), I think that with the comfort considerations and since it matches your partners #3 is definitely the right one for you.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-09, 10:25 AM
Definitely go with the first.

bluewind95
2010-01-09, 10:31 AM
I have no taste. So I asked my mom. She says she liked #4 best because it looks very nice and feminine despite being thicker than the other. She also says it looks nicer for an engagement ring being on the more traditional side (normal diamonds).

... I liked #2 best. I just like things that are different from the norm, and a black diamond is very different from the norm.

Sneak
2010-01-09, 11:20 AM
#1, I say. The gems are too small/numerous/nonexistent on all the others.

KuReshtin
2010-01-09, 11:57 AM
Okay, so I'm cheating a bit here, and it isn't at all intended to confuse the matter even further, but I went into their website and had a little look.

I found THIS (http://www.titanringar.com/bilder/300x300/300dia/8-2-the-side-sidenmatt-07.jpg), which I found very interesting. Quite a clean, but still special, design.

arguskos
2010-01-09, 12:13 PM
I like #1 the most of the given four options, though KuReshtin's surprise entry is very nice and very unique too.

EmeraldRose
2010-01-09, 01:14 PM
My personal preference is for the first one. It just stood out to me the most.

And I can totally understand wanting something different! My engagement ring is an emerald, with lindesfarne knots around the band (my wedding band is simply the lindesfarne knot.)

Liriel
2010-01-09, 01:46 PM
I like the first one as well. :smallbiggrin:

My second favorite would be #3.

So yeah, I seem to fit in with most everyone else here...

Kiyona
2010-01-09, 02:38 PM
KuReshtin

Oh my, that one is beautiful. How could I have missed it? Suddenly there is one more ring to choose between. ^^

EmeraldRose

That sounds absolutly breathtaking. Do you have a picture? :smallbiggrin:

So, now KuReshtins find is also a possibility:

http://www.titanringar.com/bilder/300x300/300dia/8-2-the-side-sidenmatt-07.jpg

KuReshtin
2010-01-09, 02:44 PM
KuReshtin

Oh my, that one is beautiful. How could I have missed it? Suddenly there is one more ring to choose between. ^^

No, no, no, no NO!!! I didn't mean to do that.
I knew it was a bad idea to go and have a look at the homepage.

I'm sorry!:smallfrown:

Kiyona
2010-01-09, 02:54 PM
Oh, please there is nothing to be sorry about. :smallsmile:

Actually, right now, your suggestion is my favourite. So it is a good thing. Really. Heaps of freshly baked internet cookies for you. :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2010-01-09, 02:57 PM
Heaps of freshly baked internet cookies for you. :smallbiggrin:

Oooohhh.. Cookies. *nom, nom, nom* :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also, I think the 8-diamond version looks better than the 5-diamond version.

EmeraldRose
2010-01-10, 01:43 PM
Our wedding bands are the third one down (http://www.custom-celtic.com/lindesfarne.htm) in this link, with the lindesfarne knot pattern. If you continue to scroll down to the engagement rings, mine is the 'Kathryn' style, similar to the one shown, platinum, with an oval center emerald and four small diamonds around it. I absolutely love my rings, and get so many compliments on them :smallsmile:

The site used to actually have a picture of my ring on it, but I don't see it now...of course, it's been 8 years :smallbiggrin:

I've also gotten a bracelet in the same knot pattern, and have some other things on a wishlist through there...

Vijaya
2010-09-22, 05:22 AM
{scrubbed}

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 05:54 AM
Of all the rings shown, I personally like the first one best. However, the third one will likely be a fine choice, since it doesn't look bad and it's the same as your man's. The fourth one practically the same but with more gems in it, so it could be fitting too, since a ring with more gems in it tends to fit women more than men, and yet the ring would be similar enough to your man's to show a connection.

Perhaps I am looking into this too deep, but with such special occassions, it's probably not too bad to do so from time to time. :smallredface:

EDIT: Just saw the date... damn bumper! D:

SMEE
2010-09-22, 06:40 AM
Thread closed