PDA

View Full Version : LN->LE cleric pathfinder/3.5

randomhero00
2010-01-08, 01:54 PM
Curious for both editions. If a cleric chooses spontaneous healing as lawful neutral, then moves to lawful evil without, y'know, angering the gods or his ideals, does he get to keep spont' healing or does he move to spont' inflict wounds? or just lose the ability altogether?

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 02:04 PM
Short answer:

RAW is ambiguous, consult your DM.

randomhero00
2010-01-08, 02:12 PM
Ya, that's what I figured.

Duke of URL
2010-01-08, 02:15 PM
In 3.5, the answer is actually quite explicit:

A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil can convert spells to either cure spells or inflict spells (player’s choice). Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed. This choice also determines whether the cleric turns or commands undead.

Dunno about Pathfinder.

Zadus
2010-01-08, 02:17 PM
yeah I go with the post above this one; your god hasn't changed, I don't think your powers would. Sure your outlook on life is a bit more grim, but you chose to cure and your deity was fine with it and is still fine with it.

Jayabalard
2010-01-08, 02:18 PM
Explicit or not, I'd suggest checking with your DM.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 02:23 PM
In 3.5, the answer is actually quite explicit:?

Yes, but does the "cannot be reversed" take alignment changes into account? It seems to be merely referring to the fact that a Neutral cleric, once he chooses his energy type, cannot vacillate.

Spontaneous Casting of Cure and Inflict Spells

A good cleric (or a cleric of a good deity) can spontaneously cast a cure spell in place of a prepared spell of the same level or higher, but not in place of a domain spell. An evil cleric (or a cleric of an evil deity) can spontaneously cast an inflict spell in place of a prepared spell (one that is not a domain spell) of the same level or higher.

I'm not disagreeing with your interpretation, just pointing out that it isn't the only possible one.

Jayabalard
2010-01-08, 02:27 PM
Yes, but does the "cannot be reversed" take alignment changes into account? It seems to be merely referring to the fact that a Neutral cleric, once he chooses his energy type, cannot vacillate.Agreed... that's the interpretation that I'd go with, and I could certainly see some GM's ruleing either way on this.

Nero24200
2010-01-08, 05:20 PM
Well, it says the "choice" cannot be changed. An evil cleric doesn't have a choice. I'd still check with your DM, but I'd rule the change.