PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Playing a Warforged

Critical
2010-01-08, 03:18 PM
So I decided to roll up a Warforged for the first time, but the thing I would like to do is not to repair himself over night, but instead get some form of healing so he can do stuff at night. The character is basically a tank(Adamantantine Body and all the stuff to increase DR.) So, I would need some pointers what feats and where to get for quick healing(I am planning to take 1 level of Crusader and heal off the swings, but maybe there are some different ideas). Basically, I want as many DR as possible and being able to be active the whole day, as well as having some fighting capability and not just take the hits(unless they deal little to none damage :) ). Also, can someone link me to the formula of using Craft(armorsmithing) for repairing the Warforged? I can't find it anywhere in that book.
Psionics, Paladin and Monk are banned, rest are allowed. So, post your ideas :)

Hawk7915
2010-01-08, 03:23 PM
I believe repairs take 8 hours, and is a craft check - 15. You can take 10 but not 20. It's rough, since even with max ranks and a small int mod, taking 10 heals you 0 at level 1 :smallconfused:. Skill Focus: Craft would help, as would some masterwork tools (getting the DM to approve a "Mechanic's kit" for a +2 bonus at a reasonable price shouldn't be too hard).

There are improved Damage Reduction feats, but I'd avoid them since DR 2/Adamantine plus self-heals from Divine Spirit + more DR/AC from some Stone Dragon stuff should be good. I think straight Crusader is good, really, for a "tank".

Corbeau
2010-01-08, 03:37 PM
There can't be enough said (well maybe) about Warforged Artificers. Self-healing, ACFs that aren't too shabby, plus all the other nice things about being robot version of Jonah Venture.

Reaper_Monkey
2010-01-08, 04:02 PM
He was asking for alternatives to self-healing at night, so he could do other things with his time.

In answer to that, get a character with UMD to use a wand of repair on you a lot. It's expensive but the only sure fire way to heal a warforged without "natural healing".

Eldariel
2010-01-08, 06:04 PM
Wand of Lesser Vigor can work too; worth checking with your DM at any rate.

Prime32
2010-01-08, 06:17 PM
Warforged Psion (shaper) can use psionic repair damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicRepairDamage.htm) for highly efficient healing. For that matter, he can share it with his psicrystal (if your psicrystal isn't taking damage, use share pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePain.htm) on it to become Tanky McDurable). You can also use it on any astral constructs you summon.

Psychic warriors can pull this off too, but they need the Expanded Knowledge feat. Maybe ardents can get those powers too, I've never played one.

EDIT: Gah! Just spotted that psionics are banned. Someone link the thread pointing out all the stuff like "You cannot spend more power points on a single power than your manifester level" in giant, bold, red flashing text. Maybe his DM can be made to see the light.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-08, 09:16 PM
Why are monk and pally banned?

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 09:49 PM
...because the DM said so?

chiasaur11
2010-01-08, 09:52 PM
...because the DM said so?

Yes, well.

Why the DM says so might be a more relevant question. And if one responds regarding patterns of electrical activity in the brain, well, I will be very put out.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-08, 10:04 PM
Yes, well.

Why the DM says so might be a more relevant question. And if one responds regarding patterns of electrical activity in the brain, well, I will be very put out.

Because they are overpowered?

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 10:07 PM

We're at Troll Alert 5

*alarm sounds*

Samb
2010-01-08, 10:11 PM

Get a new joke Fist, I didn't find it that funny the first time around.

Warforged that can heal? I would advice you to look into the sub levels for a warforged artificer. Artificers are already very powerful and you can cast infusions on yourself. I believe they are found in races of eberron.

Critical
2010-01-08, 10:14 PM
Uh, because of the aligment issues. My DM believes its hard for the most players to be within strict frames of the Paladin. And I believe his world just doesn't have monks, as I haven't seen one yet.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-08, 10:14 PM
Stone Power is an awesome feat for what you want to do. Basically, you take up to -5 on your attack to get twice that in temporary hit points. Every round.

Basically, it's 10 damage you don't take. Per round. Not too shabby, since it isn't a form of DR, and thus explicitly stacks with, and lies underneath it (has to get to DR to get to temp hit points).

Shards of Granite lets you ignore DR of opponents when you do so. Free benefits are always fun, and ignoring DR/epic is good for a laugh.

While there *are* feats that increase your natural DR, they generally don't give very good return on investment.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-08, 10:15 PM
I thought their was a Binder thingy that granted healing?

Critical
2010-01-08, 10:21 PM
While there *are* feats that increase your natural DR, they generally don't give very good return on investment.

Here they definitely are, because we are usually attacked in large numbers.

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 10:22 PM
If you bind Buer, a 4th level vestige, she grants the Binder fast healing, and also Healing Gift, which means he can automatically cure someone if 1hp/round. You need to be a 7th level Binder, or 5th if you have the Improved Binding feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-08, 10:25 PM
Here they definitely are, because we are usually attacked in large numbers.

Two problems:

1) I think you only get DR +1 of type per feat, so you get very sucky returns

2) if you start being immune to mooks do to DR, they will either start spontaneously spawning Adamantine teeth/claws/weapons, or their damage output will increase to compensate.

Fishy
2010-01-08, 10:26 PM
I'm playing a Warforged Crusader in another game, and it's awesome fun. Free infinite non-Conjuration healing, and Stone Power + Shocking Fist is just hilarious.

The ECS has a set of Warforged Repair Tools that grant a +2 circumstance bonus to repairing Warforged, which may or may not stack with the +2 circumstance bonus from having Masterwork Metalworking Tools.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-08, 10:33 PM
Two problems:

1) I think you only get DR +1 of type per feat, so you get very sucky returns

2) if you start being immune to mooks do to DR, they will either start spontaneously spawning Adamantine teeth/claws/weapons, or their damage output will increase to compensate.

Savage species has one that is +2/- each time you take the feat. Need Con 20 ant toughness though.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 10:34 PM
I thought their was a Binder thingy that granted healing?

Binder abilities are Su (read: magical) so they would generally suffer from the same healing reduction he is trying to avoid. Though he could at least use some, like Buer's, repeatedly.

If you bind Buer, a 4th level vestige, she grants the Binder fast healing, and also Healing Gift, which means he can automatically cure someone if 1hp/round. You need to be a 7th level Binder, or 5th if you have the Improved Binding feat.

The problem with the "at-will" version of Buer is that you will only heal half an HP each time you use it. Since you round down, she won't work at healing warforged.

You'd have to use the 1d8 version, which has a 5 round cooldown per use.

Samb
2010-01-09, 02:50 AM
From races of Eberron:

Infuse Self (Ex): A warforged artificer is particularly
skilled at magically enhancing his own body,
and adds one to his caster level for determining the
effect of any infusion he imbues upon himself. This
caster level bonus applies only to effects that target
the warforged artificer, even if an effect can be made
to target other creatures simultaneously.
Tools of War (Su): Beginning at 4th level, a warforged
artificer becomes particularly talented at
affecting the tools of war (constructs, living constructs,
and magic arms and armor) with his infusions and
enhancements. Each time the warforged artificer
imbues an infusion on a construct or living construct
(including himself ) or on a magic weapon, magic
shield, or suit of magic armor, he can repair the target
object of a number of points of damage equal to his
Charisma modifier (minimum 1). This benefit is in
addition to the infusion’s normal effect.
In addition, whenever the warforged artificer
spends points from his craft reserve to add a magical
property to any construct or living construct (including
himself), to create a construct, or to create or enhance
magic armor, a magic shield, or a magic weapon, each
point spent is worth 2 XP.
This benefit replaces the standard artificer’s craft
homunculus feature.
You can infuse yourself as +1 CL and heal yourself while you do it. I didn't include the last sub level because it kinda sucks and replaces your retain essence.

Coidzor
2010-01-09, 03:59 AM
So what's the quickest way to get fast healing 1? There's a barbarian acf that gives it before level 10, IIRC, not very sure about that one myself, actually.

JeminiZero
2010-01-09, 04:33 AM
What class(es) are you planning to make your warforged? That has a large bearing on what options are available to you. You might want to check out the List of Stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842) for things that grant fast healing.

Quoting myself from another thread:

There are various ways to get limitless healing to take care of their repair problems. A Warforged in a party with a Dread Necro can take Tomb Tainted soul to benefit from unlimited Charnel Touch negative energy healing.

Another way: I'm running a Warforged: 1 Swordsage / 1 Shadowsun Ninja / 6 Warlock in a PbP campaign. Shadowsun Ninja grants touch of the shadow sun that steals a small amount of positive energy from a touched target, without limit. He picked up some undead via dead walk invocation, and uses them as meatshield minions. Since "stealing" positive energy from undead effectively heals them, he can easily heal his minions up outside of combat. In turn, the positive energy he extracts can be used to heal not only himself, but the whole party, and injured NPCs.

Critical
2010-01-09, 06:06 AM
I want to make him a Duskblade, maybe with a 1 level of Crusader and then take the Green Star Adept PrC.

JeminiZero
2010-01-09, 06:52 AM
Since you are using ToB. Here's a quick simple way for a melee warforged to heal:
1) Get Martial Spirit Stance (Devoted Spirit)
2) Get Distracting Ember Maneuver (Desert Wind)
3) Summon fire elemental with Distracting Ember
4) Attack fire elemental with weapon (preferably a reach weapon so that you don't catch fire)
5) Heal 2 HP for each successful melee attack
6) Fire elemental dissipates after one round
7) Recharge Distracting Ember and repeat from step 3
8) ???
9) Profit!

How you get both Martial Spirit and Distracting Ember is up to you. Easiest way would be to splash 1 Crusader and 1 Swordsage. Otherwise you can be pure Crusader or Swordsage and pick up the maneuver/stance from feats. Note that the random nature of Crusaders maneuver recharge mechanic means that you might only get Distracting Ember back after a long while. Swordsage works more consistently, but requires 2 feats (one for maneuver and one for stance) to get Martial Spirit.

Critical
2010-01-09, 07:08 AM
Since you are using ToB. Here's a quick simple way for a melee warforged to heal:
1) Get Martial Spirit Stance (Devoted Spirit)
2) Get Distracting Ember Maneuver (Desert Wind)
3) Summon fire elemental with Distracting Ember
4) Attack fire elemental with weapon (preferably a reach weapon so that you don't catch fire)
5) Heal 2 HP for each successful melee attack
6) Fire elemental dissipates after one round
7) Recharge Distracting Ember and repeat from step 3
8) ???
9) Profit!

How you get both Martial Spirit and Distracting Ember is up to you. Easiest way would be to splash 1 Crusader and 1 Swordsage. Otherwise you can be pure Crusader or Swordsage and pick up the maneuver/stance from feats. Note that the random nature of Crusaders maneuver recharge mechanic means that you might only get Distracting Ember back after a long while. Swordsage works more consistently, but requires 2 feats (one for maneuver and one for stance) to get Martial Spirit.

Uh, ain't it easier to find some rat or something? o_o

olentu
2010-01-09, 07:18 AM
Uh, ain't it easier to find some rat or something? o_o

A bag of them even.

JeminiZero
2010-01-09, 08:28 AM
Well, that does lead to the question on what will happen if yuo can't find any rats (e.g. in the middle of a desert, out at sea etc).

Critical
2010-01-10, 10:31 AM
Also, I encouraged my DM to give me a ring with which I could summon a Warforged band and give me perform (like, once per day or per week) so I could sing "Iron Man" and stuff like that :smallbiggrin: Maybe you guys have some suggestions for the songs that fit the Warforged? :smallsmile:

IonDragon
2010-01-10, 10:38 AM
Also, I encouraged my DM to give me a ring with which I could summon a Warforged band and give me perform (like, once per day or per week) so I could sing "Iron Man" and stuff like that :smallbiggrin: Maybe you guys have some suggestions for the songs that fit the Warforged? :smallsmile:

Anything Deathklok. I personally like KMFDM - Looking for Strange, but I'm not as sure if that fits, it's just a really good song (and it's metal).

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-10, 12:26 PM
Iron Man is a good beginning option. I also say Iron Maiden's "Ghost of the Navigator," "Brave New World," Dragonforce's "Storming the Burning Castle," if a caster "Fury of the Storm," Metallica's "Fuel" and "Disappear", Disturbed's "Indestructable" and "Hell", Rob Zombie/White Zombie's "Superbeast" (Both normal version and the TM4 remix), The Guitar Hero Remix of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia", and finally Ozzy's "I Don't Wanna Stop"

Also consider "Bodies", "Soldiers", "A Fire in Babylon", and "Bawitdaba"

TheBrassDuke
2010-02-21, 08:50 PM
I am not planning on playing a warforged, but I am playing as a sorcerer/heir of Siberys with the True Creation ability. I had originally hoped that it would allow me to create a warforged a day, but no. I want some help, please. My character is supposed to make warforged and other types of golems. I'd just like to see what I can do in making one without a forge. -_-

sofawall
2010-02-21, 09:14 PM
Binder abilities are Su (read: magical) so they would generally suffer from the same healing reduction he is trying to avoid. Though he could at least use some, like Buer's, repeatedly.

The problem with the "at-will" version of Buer is that you will only heal half an HP each time you use it. Since you round down, she won't work at healing warforged.

You'd have to use the 1d8 version, which has a 5 round cooldown per use.

I think you need to reread the Warforged entry, as you have the healing reduction part pretty wrong. You managed to get part of it, but not all of it, and therefore are totally confused about what it actually does.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-02-21, 09:54 PM
I am not planning on playing a warforged, but I am playing as a sorcerer/heir of Siberys with the True Creation ability. I had originally hoped that it would allow me to create a warforged a day, but no. I want some help, please. My character is supposed to make warforged and other types of golems. I'd just like to see what I can do in making one without a forge. -_-

Crafting warforged? Crunch-wise they are a player race so there isn't a way to craft them. fluff-wise If you are in Eberron (most likely due your PRG class) it is illegal to craft new warforged due the threaty which stoped the great war.

Crafting golems? Easy take Craft Construct Feat (MM) Prerequisites IIRC high CL and Craft Magic Arms and Weapons...might also want Craft wondrous.

kpenguin
2010-02-21, 10:32 PM
You can't craft warforged unless you have access to a creation forge. They've all been officially dismantled and the only two ones (secretly) active are controlled by Merrix d'Cannith and the Lord of Blades respectively.