PDA

View Full Version : Majesty / Majesty 2

Castaras
2010-01-08, 03:39 PM
Has anyone played this game? Or heard of it? I'm downloading a demo for Majesty 2 at the moment (2 hours remaining.... :smallsigh:), but is there anyone here who can tell me what it's like, or whether it's worth the download?

warty goblin
2010-01-08, 03:56 PM
Have and played both Majesty and Majesty 2. On net I prefer the first game, but Majesty 2 is plenty solid. Doesn't paint fantasy heroes in the best light*, but it's a lot of fun.

*By which I mean it portrays them as greedy, selfish bastards who won't do a thing unless they are very well paid. So fairly accurately really.

Yardo
2010-01-08, 06:12 PM
Ah, Majesty. Great game, one of the games I have played a lot over the years. One of the best things about it is that you don't control the heroes directly, you have to entice them with a nice reward. And the humor of it all, the voices of the heroes are realy well done.

Still like the first game better then the 2nd, it misses the replayability, that was one of the best option from the first, the random maps. 2nd game is also a lot thougher then the 1st, and even that one was not easy. Expert maps where you get swarmed by Dragons are no walk in the park....

Castaras
2010-01-08, 06:21 PM
Yeah, the replayability thing was worrying me slightly about Majesty 2. However, looking at the site, it looks like they're releasing a map editor and random map generator with the next patch.

Meanwhile... installing Majesty 2, have played Majesty 1 for quite a bit and loved it.

Almost want to go buy it from amazon straight away, without thinking >.>

Yardo
2010-01-08, 07:40 PM
The demo is rather small, only 2 scenarios. The first is the tutorial, rather easy and gives a good overview of basic gameplay. The 2nd is one of the survival maps, rather hard, but it is possible to live though it. I bought the game right after I played that demo. :smallamused:

Driderman
2010-01-09, 04:57 AM
I love the Majesty games. Considering it should be pretty cheap by now, I certainly recommend buying one or both.
You'll probably tear your hair out due to the difficulty of some levels but thats all part of the experience :)

Smight
2010-01-09, 05:07 AM
there is sale on Majesty 2 on Impulse, 50% off

Morty
2010-01-09, 09:19 AM
I love Majesty 1. Majesty 2 seems alright judging by the demo version, but it looks like some of the most fun hero types were removed. I can definetly say Majesty 1 is worth getting and Majesty 2 most likely is as well.

Prowl
2010-01-10, 07:44 AM
I actually "beat" the original Majesty... I had to demonstrate to their devs that they'd built in a strategy that could not be beat (unless the other guy was also pursuing it and was faster than you)... and the kicker, it made all the heroes unnecessary.

Basically how it goes is that you juice the economy early, then put up a wizard tower, then stretch your effective casting range into the opponent's base with the mini-towers... as soon as you got them in range to start blasting the opponent's taxmen with lightning directly, the game was effectively over. blast the taxmen then blast the castle itself, opponent with no money can do nothing once you get him in that position.

It had gotten to the point where we had to say that no spells could be used, in order to make the game somewhat playable. Even on those terms I'd only ever met one other enthusiast who could even give me a challenging game.

Castaras
2010-01-10, 04:57 PM
2 days off finishing the survival level!! 2 DAYS! :smallfurious:

Bloody bearmen. Hate them. :smallannoyed:

<3 the game though... Definitely buying both asap. <.<

Recaiden
2010-01-10, 05:12 PM
I have both games, and love them.

I think the original was better, but the second one is still solid and fun, and if they're adding a patch with random maps and an editor, even better.

Though, werewolves are worse than bearmen.

Dixieboy
2010-01-11, 12:11 AM
I stopped playing majesty 2 like a day after I got it.

My reason is simple:
The ogre has 30.000 hp.

MrPig
2010-01-11, 12:17 AM
I stopped playing majesty 2 like a day after I got it.

My reason is simple:
The ogre has 30.000 hp.

Good thing you didn't face the Dragon ... Or the Lich. The single player campaign was quite the challenge. If a random map generator is added in the next patch then I'll definately start playing it again.

Recaiden
2010-01-11, 12:18 AM
Good thing you didn't face the Dragon ... Or the Lich. The single player campaign was quite the challenge. If a random map generator is added in the next patch then I'll definately start playing it again.

Or the demon itself. Yeah, the boss monsters can be really tough.

Dixieboy
2010-01-11, 12:31 AM
It wasn't really hard; it just took so goddamn long, and my heroes were content with doing everything but attacking the ogre.

toasty
2010-01-11, 01:08 AM
So Majesty II is good? I remember having so much fun with Majesty I....

My favorite heroes were rangers, rogues, gnomes (because peasants suck) and Paladins. Wizards were nice, but they were very, very squishy early game. Once you managed to get them to a high enough level they could be very powerful though I remember. Once I saw a wizard teleport into a bunch of monsters, blast them with fireball, magic, etc, the teleport away. It was awesome!:smallcool:

Lord Herman
2010-01-11, 05:42 AM
Sadly, gnomes aren't in the game, but the other heroes you mentioned are. Wizards are still squishy at low levels, and powerful at high levels. You can resurrect dead heroes in Majesty 2 though, so it's a bit easier (if costly) to get your wizards to high level.

BooNL
2010-01-11, 05:59 AM
I've only played Majesty 2, and never finished it at that.

I loved the game and the concept, but a couple of things bothered me, like the bugs and poor AI.

The poor AI was what made it fun though. I kind of felt like Blizzard watching all my little players making piss-poor judgement calls and ninja looting each other. Fun times!

Lord Herman
2010-01-11, 06:05 AM
That's why I like being able to form parties. The option doesn't show up until a certain mission in the campaign, but having your heroes in four-man parties really helps keeping them alive, because they can't wander into monster lairs all by themselves.

Dixieboy
2010-01-11, 11:59 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the priestess of death might be slightly overpowered in both majesty 1 and 2?

At higher levels she's pretty much a one woman army, and her AI is aggressive so she's actually useful.