PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - McBadguy

Tanaric
2010-01-08, 04:28 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.
Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||M|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33490)

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 03:21 AM
Note: I'd love for SLIVER to run this dungeon crawl, as his timezone is more convenient for me.

Now, actions:

Evil binds Naberius(DC 15 for good pact):
[roll0]

He then takes the torch and holds it in his left hand.

From now on, he begins his modus operandi:

At the start of his turn, he uses an immediate action to activate
"Chosen of Evil".
If "Evil's blessing" is not active and he is not immediately threatened(such as by being in combat), he will take a standard action to do so, gaining his charisma modifier as bonus to all saving throws for 5 rounds. If "Evil's blessing" is active and he damages a creature with an aura of good or the good subtype, the saving throw bonuses double for 1 round.

The floating insight bonus(+5) will be generally used for skill and ability checks out of combat, for saves, if the insight bonus is available and I say so, and for attack rolls if I specifically say so.

This means Evil's Constitution score is effectively 14 most of the time.

Evil will now take 20 to search the room and the door for traps, resulting in a search result of 28.

If the door/room isn't trapped, he will open the door and explore.

If he should somehow recognize the dungeon as this one presented below, he will search for the pit trap, then go to the door of Mr. Colorspray, then wait till Evil's blessing runs out, then take a standard action to activate Evil's blessing(5 rounds remaining), then uses his remaining move action to open the door.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8983/mapqdp.jpg

If the above is correct(if it is the same dungeon), I guess Initiative is necessary.

Init(boosted by Chosen of Evil's bonus, since Initiative is an ability check):
[roll1]

Remember that Evil is immune to mind-affecting effects, therefore Colorspray will have no effect on him.

Relevant combat stats:

HP 9/9
AC: 10(Touch 10, Flatfooted 8)
Saves(before Chosen of Evil):
Fort +6
Reflex +5
Will +6

Sliver
2010-01-09, 03:29 AM
Yeah, same dungeon.. What is your method for traveling the dungeon (search and take 10? take 20? Poke? Just walk?)

Opening the door reveals the following room:
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]
There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of, another at E-4, south side and another at E-3. There is a human wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.
Initiative:[roll0]

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 03:35 AM
On the areas Lemming did not walk on, poke walls and floor with 12ft pole, then search(taking 20) for traps(result 28).

If the torch runs out, I can use the liquid sunlight to provide equivalent light of a torch, with infinite duration(as long as I don't use the liquid sunlight pellet as ammo/splash weapon).

So Evil wins init.
5'-step to A2, then activate chosen of evil again(immediate), drop the torch(free), draw longbow(move) and shoot(standard) at Mr. Colorspray, with Chosen of Evil boosting the attack roll.

Attack vs Flat-footed AC!
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 04:23 AM
You hit. The beast vanishes. He tries to color spray you but.. Well yeah.. Your turn..

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 04:28 AM
Shoot him again!

With chosen of Evil, of course.

Attack vs normal AC!
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

2 arrows used so far.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 04:40 AM
"RoF!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 05:33 AM
Okay, Evil takes 1 damage.

Shoot him again, and hope he goes down now?

Attack vs normal AC(with CoE bonus):
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 05:38 AM
BAM! Down he goes.

150xp, chainshirt, longsword.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 07:36 AM
Evil equips the chainshirt! AC has improved to 14!

Evil also loots the longsword, then opens both doors, and exits at E-3. He holds the liquid sunlight in his left hand, the 12ft pole in his right, and proceeds to poke/take 20 on searching for traps as he travels through the dungeon. He bypasses any traps he can and continues to the next room to the east. He carefully places the liquid sunlight on the ground, activates Evil's blessing, draws his longbow, opens the door and readies himself for another fight.

Initiative(boosted by Chosen of Evil):
[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 07:38 AM
Do you want me to randomly choose rooms? What are you poking? Floor only, walls up to X hight?

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 07:41 AM
I want the room directly east of the room of Mr Colorspray, just below the blue note on the map.

I poke every wall/floor I can reach with the 12ft pole.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 07:43 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||||1|
4|||||
5||||| [/table]
There is a door at B5, which you are just outside of, and another at B1. There is an orc in the middle of the room. It holds a Ripper and wears a chainmail, as well as a pair of goggles.
Initiative:[roll0]

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 07:48 AM
What is a Ripper?

Regardless, Evil shoots it, then moves 10ft west, blocking LoS and thus eliminating the possibility of a charge.

Attack vs Flatfooted AC(boosted with chosen of Evil):

[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 07:50 AM
Hmm.. Hit (didn't drop). You move. Nothing you can see happens. Your turn.

Ripper is like a greatsword but in spear form. Almost identical (no reach, same damage, stuff like taht)

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 07:56 AM
Okay... better be careful now.

Evil will ready an attack with the Longbow against the orc if LoS is established.

Since I think moving after readying an action invalidates the readied action, Evil doesn't move(yet). If nothing happens, he will continue to ready this action for 1 minute. After that, he will go south-west(poking and searching for traps as usual) until he reaches the south door of Mr. Ripper. He then opens said door, rolling for initiative again(if necessary):

Init(the 2nd time around, boosted):
[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 07:59 AM
On your way you trigger 2 traps that throw acid at you.

Against FF touch AC:

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

You reach the room from the other side. The orc was standing by the door you came through at first.

[roll4] Initiative.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:00 AM
Orc preforms a charge!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Against FF ac. He then falls to the floor.

150xp, Ripper, javelin, chainmail, Sundark Goggles and 300gp.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:00 AM
Um, those traps cannot be detected with a search check of 28 and trapfinding?

I'm asking because I would've probably attempted to disable them(with a +8 bonus on the roll). Oh, and the orc kills Evil. Evil had 8 HP pre-traps, and that knocks him into the negatives.

Rewind to pre-Mr Ripper possible, or do I need to slaughter Mr Colorspray again?

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:01 AM
They were triggered when you poked the squares.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:03 AM
AW, dangit. Poking apparently entails dangers I didn't know of.

See above for rewind question.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:05 AM
I did a rewind a few times before and Tanaric didn't object to it yet so.. Sure..

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:08 AM
Okay, so Evil is at 8/9 HP. Open door, roll for init, shoot Mr. Ripper if Init is won.

Init(boosted):

[roll0]

Attack(boosted, vs flatfooted):
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:11 AM
[roll0] Initiative.

Attack:

[roll1] +2 if wins initiative for a charge and in that case also targets FF ac..
[roll2]

You hit. Your turn.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:14 AM
After shooting Mr. Ripper for 2 damage, Evil moves to the southwest, searches for those two acid traps(no poking!), and attempts to disable them before he reaches the south door.

Disable trap checks(boosted):

[roll0]

[roll1]

Initiative at the south door:

[roll2]

Attack if won init:
[roll3]

Damage:
[roll4]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:16 AM
You realize that the "Nothing happens" Was only true for the -first- battle and this time he does follow you out?

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:19 AM
In that case, if he follows me out and attacks me on his turn(if he can do that with his movespeed), Evil likely dies from that attack.

If he doesn't attack me, or Evil somehow survives...

Evil uses Shoot and move tactics, moving west-south-west(through the room of Mr Colorspray). The dungeon is designed in a way that Evil can avoid charges this way(at least I think so, and Evil has 40ft movespeed).

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:21 AM
Some attack/damage rolls for Hit & run tactics vs Mr. Ripper:

Attacks vs normal AC(boosted)!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage!
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:23 AM
While you are faster, he can double move and reach you every time you stop to shoot and AOO you.. So he would hit you the first time he gets a chance to do so..

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:27 AM
So if Evil withdraws every second turn to do a double-move himself, can he apply hit&run tactics?

If not, Evil dies(that attack roll above still hits and kills, rewind again....)

If Hit/run successful-> Victory dance!

If it fails:

Rewind-> Init-> Shoot Ripper if Init is won.

Init:
[roll0]

Attack:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:32 AM
I'm not sure if that would work or not.. Maybe you want to do that fight at a later date? (with his bonuses, a single hit will defeat you (minimum of 8 damage) and he has a good chance of hitting) While you need max damage to disable him..

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:39 AM
If that fight fails even after rewinding, Evil McBadguy skips Mr. Ripper for some later time and chooses to go to the room North of Mr. Colorsprays room instead.

Initiative:
[roll0]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:41 AM
{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]
There are doors at A5 south and E1 north.
In the room there is an ugly looking, blue scaled, lizard thing with fire in it's mouth!
Initiative: [roll0]

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 08:47 AM
Fire-breather?

This isn't good.

Assuming the creature can be shot from Evil's position, he will do so.

Attack(boosted):
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

He will then move 20ft west.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 08:59 AM
Hit. He moves out of the room, standing in front of the door he sends a line of electricity towards you. [roll0] damage, reflex 14DC for half. You are also(even if save) entangled by the electricity for [roll1] damage.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 09:03 AM
Oh, darnit. Entangling exhalation, for 3 turns.

Okay, Reflex save(without Chosen of Evil):

Shoot him again(with Chosen of Evil, entangling gives me -4 dex, that translates into a -2 penalty for ranged attacks):
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Ongoing damage:

[roll3]

Evil *likely* dies. Unless I save and roll minimum damage.

...aaand Evil's dead.

So, Ripper kills me, This firebreathing dude kills me..colorspray would kill me, but I'm immune...rewind, open firebreath dude room, roll for init, shoot and move 30ft west, then 10ft south.

Init:
[roll]1d20+9

Attack:
1d20+8

Damage:
1d8

Sliver
2010-01-09, 09:06 AM
I think your dead.. Also, if you can't constantly prevent damage, do you have a long term survival plan without any way of healing?

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 09:07 AM
I have not thought of dealing with HP damage yet. I wasn't thinking of Damage over time effects that ignore AC and cannot be shrugged off by successful saving throws...

see post above for rewind actions.

Init:
[roll0]

Attack:
[roll1]

Damage:
[roll2]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 09:12 AM
Hmm.. Should I note that your chosen path would involve crossing 2 pits you would have discovered if we were doing this step by step? Also, non of them you have enough running space to not get the double DC.. So it's DC10 jump twice if you want to go that way.. The other way is unexplored..

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 09:21 AM
Sure, let's try this jumping thing.

Without Chosen of evil, unfortunately.

Jump the 1st:
[roll0]

Jump the 2nd:
[roll1]

HAH! I made it!

Sliver
2010-01-09, 09:22 AM
Alright. Nothing happens, what now?

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 09:34 AM
Umm...move south, then east, shoot the DFA if LoS is established at this point. If not, move through Mr. Colorspray's room up to the blue note.

Attack/damage if necessary:

Attack(boosted)
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Sliver
2010-01-09, 09:52 AM
No LoS. You reach the blue note.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 10:13 AM
Go north from the blue note, shoot(using previous rolls) if LoS is established.

If not, carefully advance north-east, then west, circling around to the second door of the room. Check for traps and try to disable them if bypassing isn't possible.

Open the north door of the room, roll for init and shoot again if init is won:

Init:
[roll0]

Use previous rolls for attack/damage.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 10:19 AM
The creature is standing near edge watching both doors and being ready.

electricity damage: [roll0] DC15 for half. [roll1] rounds of entangled. Initiatve: [roll2]

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 10:31 AM
I might just survive that. I hit it once for 6 damage, the second time for 4 damage, hopefully that's enough to drop it.

Reflex:

[roll0]

Ongoing damage:

[roll1]

aaand Evil dies. Again.

Okay, so I need some sort of infinite healing...

Or avoid being hit entirely.

I'll scrap Evil for now, and attempt this dungeon with Grue (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33545)

Please post if you're okay with that.

Sliver
2010-01-09, 10:42 AM
Tanaric needs to approve all new characters and create a new thread.

Aldgar
2010-01-09, 10:51 AM
Alright, I already posted Grue in the Recruitment thread, I'll drop a note that I intend to play with him now. Hopefully Tanaric gets around to creating a thread for him soon.

Now...I seriously hope I can beat the floor 1 *without* infinite healing.