PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Result of a Spell Chain

LibraryOgre
2010-01-08, 05:32 PM
So, what would be the result of the following spell chain, each cast on the same target:

Flesh to Stone
Animate Objects
Permanency
Awaken Construct
Stone to Flesh

Signmaker
2010-01-08, 05:34 PM
A complete loss of the original soul?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-08, 05:40 PM
sentinent flesh golem?

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-08, 05:42 PM
The God of Magic and/or Artifice kicks your ass and makes it not happen?

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-08, 05:43 PM
I'd say you now have an animated person who has no control over their body. Alternatively, the God of Causality comes down and sets you on fire.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-08, 09:41 PM
Perhaps a regular person, since once the petrification is undone, the other spells don't really apply.

Slayn82
2010-01-08, 10:07 PM
Whatever the DM decides. Personally, i would say you got a Half Golem, but its unstable and "dies" after some time. Meanwhile, you have a very insane Frankenstein possibly going after you. Man, you should be proud.

Natural Armor +9, DR as a Stone Golem, Str + 10, Dex -2, Con + 4 or no Con and D12 HD, -6INt and Char, and all the magical imunities and special attacks of a Stone Golem.

Possibly only a Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle or MDJ could revert the effect, if cast at time.

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 10:09 PM
Note that it would have to be a halfling or something, given the size restriction on AO.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-08, 10:16 PM
A flesh construct, with the stats of a relevant awakened animated object. Original individual can communicate with new animated object personality, or pass on at any time. Once individual dies, resurrection magic functions as normal, as long as adequate body parts are acquired (Raise Dead would require destroying the construct, for example)

RebelRogue
2010-01-08, 10:36 PM
00: DM's choice.

arguskos
2010-01-08, 10:38 PM
00: DM's choice.
Also, 00: Roll twice and combine. :smallwink:

@OP: Eh, sounds like you get a fleshy animated object honestly.

Fishy
2010-01-08, 10:47 PM
Flesh to Stone -> Stone to Flesh results in the original physical body coming back more or less unharmed.

Animate -> Permanency -> Awaken creates a sentience that animates whatever it was cast on.

I think what we have is an 'animated human', with the mind and personality of the awakened construct and the physical body of the original subject. Animated Objects have pretty fine-grained control over their moving parts, so it can probably pass as a human if it tries- but they can also do this:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG13.jpg

Except with their bones. Freaky.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 10:52 PM
So, what would be the result of the following spell chain, each cast on the same target:

Flesh to Stone
Animate Objects
Permanency
Awaken Construct
Stone to Flesh

Result: this is the sort of unholy abomination that leads to insane things only explicable by "A wizard did it".

Kantolin
2010-01-08, 10:57 PM
I'm mostly echoing the above, but I also think the result would probably have nothing to do with the original person in a vein similar to what happens if you animate a person's skeleton as undead.

Basically, an animated object that happens to look like a person.

If the object was then killed/destroyed, you could raise the person normally. Maybe true ressurrection would work.

Of course, it'd probably be more interesting to the story to have a pair of souls sharing a body, much like Romancing SaGa's Darque/Aldora. ^_^

Gralamin
2010-01-08, 11:14 PM
This sounds like it needs a template.

Thurbane
2010-01-08, 11:42 PM
I'd say you'd end up with an Incarnate Construct, with a totally separate sentience than the original victim of the Flesh to Stone. The original person would be a suppressed consciousness in the construct's body.

Maybe both personalities fight for control of the body.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-01-09, 12:27 AM
I'd say you'd end up with an Incarnate Construct, with a totally separate sentience than the original victim of the Flesh to Stone. The original person would be a suppressed consciousness in the construct's body.

Maybe both personalities fight for control of the body.

Ah, so it functions as Mordenkainen's Greater Plot Hook.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-09, 12:31 AM
I'd go with Thurbane's interpretation here, except that instead of an Incarnate Construct I'd say it might just be a sort of sentient Flesh Golem that looks exactly like the original creature.

Quietus
2010-01-09, 12:55 AM
Stone to flesh reverts the stone body into their fleshy human selves. That person makes a fort save. If they pass, the spell succeeds, and they take control of themselves. As a Creature, they are no longer a viable target for the Animate Objects spell, which goes dormant (due to permanency). With Animate Objects dormant, so too does Awaken Construct.

When the individual dies - whether immediately upon failing the DC 15 fort save, or as a result of later wounds - they are now a corpse. A corpse is an object, so the previous spells come back into play, and the corpse immediately gets back up as a sentient, fleshy, animated object with the aforementioned stats.

Bids for control of the body by the dormant consciousness are at the purview of the DM.

Thurbane
2010-01-09, 01:15 AM
If you go with the "two minds in one body" idea, have each personality make an opposed CHA check each day at dawn for control. Maybe recheck during times of stress, or if it gets knocked unconscious.