PDA

View Full Version : Blood Magus: may the strength of blood empower your spells! (3.5)

Anonymouswizard
2010-01-08, 05:46 PM
It is said that the blood magus is written of as a gimmick class, having to few weak abilities to make ten levels out of. Here I attempt to make the blood magus what he should be: an interesting choice for characters who want to explore the use of blood magic.
Blood Magus
Requirements
Alignment: any but lawful good.
Skills: concentration 6 ranks.
Feats: greater fortitude, toughness.
Spells: arcane caster level 5th.
Special: must have returned from the dead.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1|+0|+2|+0|+0|Blodd magic, durable casting|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2|+1|+3|+0|+0|Death knell|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3|+1|+3|+1|+1|[I]Blood draught{/I]|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4|+2|+4|+1|+1|Bloodseeking spell|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
5|+2|+4|+1|+1|Bloodwalk|-
6|+3|+5|+2|+2|Thicker than water|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
7|+3|+5|+2|+2|Awaken blood|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
8|+4|+6|+2|+2|Blood blast|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
9|+4|+6|+3|+3|Gore master|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
10|+5|+7|+3|+3|Lord of blood|-[/table]
Hit die: d6.
Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Cha), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill points at each level: 2+intelligence modifier.
Weapon and armour proficiency: none.
Blood magic: a blood magus may fuel his spells with his blood instead of using spell slots. Whenever the blood magus uses this ability he must declare what spell he is casting, and then take constitution damage equal to the level of the spell.
A blood magus is also able to replace the material components of a spell with a drop of his own blood, and in doing so increases the spells power. The pinprick required for this feature deals one point of damage that ignores all types of damage resistance and is a free action (just like using spell components) that becomes a normal part of casting a spell. Using this feature increases the caster level and save DC of the spell by 1.
If a spell has a costly material component (greater than 1 gp) it must be provided during the casting.
Durable casting: a blood magus has learned to concentrate on spells despite taking damage while doing so. When hit by an attack that causes damage while casting a spell a blood magus may "ignore" one point of damage per bloodmagus level. If the blood magus can ignore all damage dealt then they do not have to make a check.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-08, 06:02 PM
I'm interested in seeing what you do with this. Given your opening line, I suspect you were somewhat inspired by my article-in-progress on homebrew theory, and I had planned to demonstrate PrC creation theory by using those two examples: condensing the Dwarven Defender and expanding the Blood Magus.

It'll be interesting to see how what you come up with measure up with the ideas I have floating around my head.

Expects comments and criticism in the future!

arguskos
2010-01-08, 06:04 PM
article-in-progress on homebrew theory
Back to work! :smallamused: We await your masterwork!

Also, yeah, this is gonna be interesting, when it finishes. I like the Blood Magus, but ugh, it's such a blase class.

EdroGrimshell
2010-01-08, 09:42 PM
I always thought it would be a great feat tree, it is one of my favorite PrCs but it was ill executed, i await your ideas

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-08, 09:50 PM
Special: must of returned from the dead.

Must HAVE returned.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1|+0|+2|+0|+0|Blodd magic, durable casting|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

*Blood magic?

It's not easy to critique something not yet done, but I try. :smallwink:

GenPol
2010-01-08, 10:09 PM
I suppose "Must've" could work in a pinch.

Good luck with this. I've always liked the idea of the class, but the WotC version wasn't especially impressive.

Pie Guy
2010-01-08, 11:25 PM
You misspelled blood in the title of the thread.

Milskidasith
2010-01-08, 11:29 PM
It's not worth it.

I don't even know the class features, but it's not worth two lost caster levels.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-09, 02:39 AM
It's not worth it.

I don't even know the class features, but it's not worth two lost caster levels.

Recaster and Malconvoker. It's possible, though highly unlikely, that it's worth a lost level or two. Let's wait and see what it gets before determining how many lost levels it gets or what needs to be improved to justify them, hmm?

Milskidasith
2010-01-09, 02:47 AM
Recaster and Malconvoker. It's possible, though highly unlikely, that it's worth a lost level or two. Let's wait and see what it gets before determining how many lost levels it gets or what needs to be improved to justify them, hmm?

Malconvoker only loses one.

DaTedinator
2010-01-09, 03:13 AM
Regardless, it really is a bit of a stretch to declare that it's not worth it before the class features are even described. Swiftblade is aimed largely at full casters and loses a whopping four levels of casting, but is still very much worth it.

Anonymouswizard, as a fan of the PrC already, I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Dante & Vergil
2010-01-21, 01:37 PM
The concept is pretty neat, so I'd really like to see this finished, you know, if you're still interested in this.

Milskidasith
2010-01-21, 03:26 PM
What if you are immune to constitution damage? How would it work?

The first two class features are very underwhelming for three lost caster levels. I also don't see why you have to have died just to become a blood magus, seeing as it has nothing to do with being dead, at all, just casting from your life force.