PDA

View Full Version : So, who else gets annoyed when posts start with "so"?

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-08, 05:58 PM
I'm not properly annoyed or anything, just it's starting to make me twitch.

Maybe I'm being a backward linguistic luddite.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-08, 05:59 PM
So you and a gang of like-minded thugs go around smashing up words due to them taking your job?

Sounds like fun.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-08, 06:00 PM
I don't think I've ever even noticed it.
But I'm sure there will be a flood of people soon who agree with you, and then go off on a thousand different other pet peeves of spelling and grammar that they have.

My excitement for another thread of such a type knows no bounds :smallsigh:

arguskos
2010-01-08, 06:01 PM
You know, grammar threads don't come up that much. :smallconfused:

Also, no, I've never really cared that much. Probably because I'm a thicky idiot who can't tell one word from another some days. XD

Player_Zero
2010-01-08, 06:03 PM
So so so soap is a sober solar social?

Castaras
2010-01-08, 06:18 PM
Nope.

Only thing that recently annoyed me grammar/spelling wise (sorry rabbit :( ) is when someone said "Upps, sorrey", and when I was asked by someone "Wye?".

Those both made me almost cry in despair at humanity.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-08, 06:20 PM
I think upps needs wider useage, personally.

potatocubed
2010-01-08, 06:22 PM
I open posts with 'so' all the time. I do it when I speak, too. So no, I don't get annoyed by it.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-08, 06:25 PM
So you and a gang of like-minded thugs go around smashing up words due to them taking your job?

Sounds like fun.
Yes.
I was made redundant because "quince" was found to be more efficient than me, so I go round scratching it out of dictionaries.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-08, 06:32 PM
Damn quince.

Coming over here and taking our hard-working apples' jobs.

I hate it.

Em Blackleaf
2010-01-09, 05:13 PM
So, this bugs you? :smalltongue: I start every conversation-starter or topic-changer sentence with "so." It's a good liaison kind of word. Kind of like "well."

I have grammar pet peeves but I rarely see or hear them. I know a few people who say, "... AM in the morning," though. *shudders*

Kaelaroth
2010-01-09, 05:19 PM
In real life, too?

If so, how the heck do you break an awkward silence?

Friend: ... And then he stormed out, leaving me with his mother's blood on my hands!

There is a deathly quiet.

Me: So... Who's up for enchiladas?

And thats ignoring a myriad of other uses!

Castaras
2010-01-09, 06:03 PM
I think upps needs wider useage, personally.

But but it's spelt Oops! Upps is saying "Up" as a plural. Which is silly. Oo is the right sort of syllable phoneticy thing (don't think I could ever be an english language person...), with the right sound. Upps looks silly as well.

But Sorrey and Wye are unforgiveable.

TRM
2010-01-09, 06:12 PM
No.

Posting on these forums is very similar to having an informal conversation, and informal conversations bridge words like "So" and "Well" are very nice because they make things seem less abrupt, and slightly softer.

Compare:

"So, I heard you and Taylor went to the movies last night."

to

"I heard you and Taylor went to the movies last night."

Unless it is in context, the second one sounds strange.

So if you are Random Bantering or whatever, "So" is an important part of your post-starting vocabulary.

Kneenibble
2010-01-09, 06:29 PM
But but it's spelt Oops! Upps is saying "Up" as a plural. Which is silly. Oo is the right sort of syllable phoneticy thing (don't think I could ever be an english language person...), with the right sound. Upps looks silly as well.

But people pronounce oops with a schwa at least as often as with a close back vowel (oo). So the spelling is a fine representation, and I think its silliness is the point, that is, a fun silliness, not a dumb silliness.

Eon
2010-01-09, 06:44 PM

upps, sorrey. Just 2 ask u sumthing, wye do u h8 tis?

Felixaar
2010-01-09, 07:52 PM
Hfft. So what?

(I guess that doesnt really start with so. Shoosh.)

Kallisti
2010-01-09, 07:58 PM
It's been said before and will be said again, but "so" is a good informal transition and very useful on forums.

People who ask where something is at instead of where it is, however, annoy me to no end.

Gamerlord
2010-01-09, 08:22 PM
What is wrong with saying "so" at the start of a sentance?
Blasted grammar nazis...

Copacetic
2010-01-09, 08:31 PM
I do it all the time. Reiterating other people here, it keeps the Playground nice and informal.

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-09, 11:15 PM
upps, sorrey. Just 2 ask u sumthing, wye do u h8 tis?

Don't do that. There's bad grammar, which people just have to put up with, and then there's stuff that requires me to bring in the red text. The above quote is the latter.

Temotei
2010-01-09, 11:21 PM
Don't do that. There's bad grammar, which people just have to put up with, and then there's stuff that requires me to bring in the red text. The above quote is the latter.

Indeed. And it's annoying...:smallannoyed: I shouldn't have to take Decipher Script ranks to read your posts.

Oh, and no, I'm not annoyed by sentences/posts starting with "so." My girlfriend frequently does, and it doesn't really bother me. When it's every sentence, it does get a little irritating, but repetition is usually boring...and...repetitive. :smallcool:

Eon
2010-01-09, 11:33 PM

ah, okay. wouldn't want to "see red"

Temotei
2010-01-09, 11:34 PM
ah, okay. wouldn't want to "see red"

Yeah man. We wouldn't want to beat down on yo' tush. :smallwink: :smallamused:

The Orange Zergling
2010-01-10, 12:07 AM
I think I have a tendency to begin threads or subjects with "So," but I rarely do so when continuing an existing subject.

The only real things that annoy me in posts are when people use the wrong type of a word, i.e. their/there/they're, your/you're and so on.

Swordgleam
2010-01-10, 12:22 AM
I have a tendency to start sentences with "so" for no good reason. I have to edit them out of my professional emails. I know I didn't always do this, and I don't know when I started, but I hope it stops soon.

Nehh
2010-01-10, 03:30 AM
Actually, I'm okay with so. It is pronunciation that annoys me. Which is good, because I can't hear any of you lot speaking.

Oh, but by the way, kilometres is prounounced kilo-meters not kil-ometers. And I'm using the english and americanized sprllings to please anyone who hates misuse of them.

Pyrian
2010-01-10, 04:48 AM
So...I'm honestly surprised it took almost 24 hours for somebody to post a reply as such. :smallcool:

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-10, 05:38 AM
No.

Posting on these forums is very similar to having an informal conversation, and informal conversations bridge words like "So" and "Well" are very nice because they make things seem less abrupt, and slightly softer.

Compare:

"So, I heard you and Taylor went to the movies last night."

to

"I heard you and Taylor went to the movies last night."

Unless it is in context, the second one sounds strange.

So if you are Random Bantering or whatever, "So" is an important part of your post-starting vocabulary.

Yes, I totally understand that this is what is happening.

I only think that given that you've already elected to join in or at least read the thread - from reading the title and being intersted at the point - you don't need to be drawn in with an introductory word like "so" or "well" or "okay" at the beginning of the post.

Your example about movie watching, if there is a thread title, goes more like this:

Title: Who went to the movies?
[click!]
I heard you and Taylor went to the movies last night.

Assuming there's further chat about going to the movies in that first post, it isn't nearly as abrupt as it might seem (which I'm personally not feeling) - because you clicked through to read it.

The title has already done the "Hello, I have a thing I'd like to talk about" bit. The audience is already engaged.